Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OF CABBAGES AND KINGS  (Read 41893 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:OF CABBAGES AND KINGS
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2004, 01:30:16 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Jay![/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Jay![/move]

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2004, 01:33:11 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JAY!

To new DR Bevan--

Who the hell are you, stranger?  Where did you come from?  

:P

Glad to have you aboard, lovey!  :-* :-* :-*

I'm going to see "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" later!  WHEEEE!  (sorry, I'm a little hyper right now)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2004, 01:34:48 PM »

BK -- Don't talk to me about problems with AOL.  My AOL - DSL service, for which I pay almost $50.00 a month would not work at all last night, so, as a result, I could not get online.  I  tried from 4:00 p.m. until after 10:00 with no results.  I refused to call AOL Help line because I didn't want to spend two hours being walked through all the steps that I had already tried.  If it is still out this weekend, I guess I will have to break down and call them.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2004, 01:43:11 PM »

RE: The apprentice

DR Dan (the man) wrote:
I was sure it would come down to Troy and Amy, but after the dressdown Troy received last week, I'm not so sure.  As for Amy, someon mentioned to me that she currently has a website where she is fishing for acting offers, which seems kind of odd.  I'll try to find the site address and post it later.

Yes, I would be interested to see it. I don't know her last name. But it was funny to hear her introduce herself as Amelia on last night's show.

The winner will be determined live. So nobody knows who it is.

I have a hard time seeing Nick or Troy win. They have lost so many times.  And they have done some dumb things.

Amy has won EVERY SINGLE OF THE TEN TIMES.  She has come up with some great ideas (including last week's adversiting on the buggy one).  Every time one of the teams has had to choose a replacement, they have chosen AMY.

I'm sorry, but unless she does some really stupid things in the next few weeks, she is golden.

Plus don't all the others get on your nerves? Every single one of the others seems incompetent to me :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 01:47:03 PM by Jennifer »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2004, 01:55:48 PM »

Welcome to DR Bevan, and Happy Birthday to DR Jay!!!!!!

Well, I'm back!  The acts are finished, turned in, paid for and the singer and MD are on a plane to the Mediterranean!  I was averaging 3-5 hours sleep a night from Sunday to last night, when I estimated I'd finish around 3:00 am and hand them the charts before their car picked them up at 4 am.  I finished at 12:30, dropped off the band parts, went to the bank and deposited the check, came home and fell over.  I got up around 2:30 pm, I've got laundry in the dryer and I'm finally catching up on the past two days' worth of reading here.

So, Cabbages and Kings, a Walrus & Carpenter reference from one of my favorite books, which seems to be a Lewis Carroll parody of Coronets and Kings, one of my favorite films, as well as a song in Brendan Behan's "The Hostage."  And that's enough thinking for one day!

Who was looking for a psycho song?  All I can think of is Cole Porter's "Make A Date With A Great Psychoanalyst (And Lie Down)."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2004, 01:56:23 PM »

I can't get behind the movement for a theatrical release for Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, but I wish you well with it.

Here's my problem: the original voices for the characters are all dead, and the new folks just don't sound quite right to me. I have the same trouble with the Loony Tunes characters. They just sound "off" enough for me not to like them so much. I guess that comes with having spent so much of my youth and adulthood listening to the originals.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2004, 02:00:36 PM »

Sweet thinking, Dear Reader Der Brucer, but I will be in San Diego that day taking in a performance of Verdi's Don Carlo.

DR Jay, how was the CANDIDE directed by Jeffrey Lentz?  It was you. wasn't it?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2004, 02:05:21 PM »

DVD Player:  "The Ladykillers" (Guinness original)
CD Player:  "Diane" by Rozsa
VHS Player: tape of 1st episode of "Wonder Falls"
MD Player/Recorder: Work in progress MD of best performances of final 12 on American Idol.
On TV:  Watching "Star Trek:TNG" on Spike TV channel.

OOH-rah!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2004, 02:13:26 PM »

Cool!  Another Apprentice viewer!  I am so hooked into this show (it's the only reality show I've stuck with since the first go-round of Survivor.)

Amen!  I love The Apprentice!  I have no idea who will win, but I thought Omarrosa (too many r's, too big an s) was a pretentious twit and fraud; one more self-promoting resume fraud  you find in every occupation,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2004, 02:18:06 PM »

I  am totally MORTIFIED, DerBrucer. I don't know why I did that. Shall I use being in a trance as an excuse. I hang my head in SHAME. Have I mentioned I don't know why I did that? If I had a blackboard I would wear a dunce's hat and write out 1000 times DvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorák
DvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorákDvorák...
I don't know why I did that.....

DR Panni, I love you!  It's more important you appreciate the music than spell his name correctly.  

Jed

« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2004, 02:18:59 PM »

I currently can't hear out of my right ear, my nose is all stuffed up, and I have a bit of a fever.  I do believe I've caught the bug that DR Ann had last weekend.  Of course, that could be a bit difficult, as I haven't seen her in over a month, but I'm still gonna blame her. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2004, 02:20:23 PM »

Well off to opening night.  Thanks for the good wishes everyone...   8)

Then afterwards home for some highly anticipated KRITZER TIME!  ;D

BREAK A LEG!  KUDOS! KISSES ON YOUR OPENING!

Jed

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2004, 02:22:54 PM »

KISSES ON YOUR OPENING!

Well, that just shot our "family site" status all to hell! :o

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2004, 02:26:10 PM »

;D

ROTFLMAO
“One thing’s universal,

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2004, 02:27:14 PM »

Hey, no fair blaming me if you can't hear out of your right ear...I NEVER hear out of my right ear!  (I'm deaf on my right side, for those who don't know)  But I am sorry you caught my cold via proxy

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2004, 02:36:20 PM »

;D

It's all in your mind, dear boy!

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2004, 02:52:21 PM »

It's all in your mind, dear boy!
Unfortunately for some of us it still is "all in our mind". Thanks for the smile elmore and Jed. I'm with TCB - on the floor. (Don't go there)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2004, 03:07:07 PM »

I am still so annoyed from my morning, I can barely write two sentences - which makes me more annoyed.

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2004, 03:15:58 PM »

I am in mourning for your morning BK. The mourning side of the mountain or the mountains of mourn shall be hummed (no-one want to hear me sing) .
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »

I am still so annoyed from my morning, I can barely write two sentences - which makes me more annoyed.

Did you see, BK, that I had AOL problems, too?  Did you see, BK, that I had AOL problems, too?  They are barely sentences, but there are two of them.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2004, 03:26:38 PM »

I'll have a full report on the AOL problems, believe me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2004, 03:30:57 PM »

Unfortunately for some of us it still is "all in our mind". Thanks for the smile elmore and Jed. I'm with TCB - on the floor. (Don't go there)

Don't GO there?  

With Jed having been corrupted by you lot in setting it up, and coupled with yours and TCB's "insinuendoing" laughter, how can we HELP but go there?

It's too late for us to go anywhere else!

Jed

« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2004, 03:42:22 PM »

Ahh, I now have NyQuil... all will be well in the world again.

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2004, 03:51:00 PM »

New Yorker's quaint underwear in Laundry! I have never been good with acronyms.
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2004, 03:54:16 PM »

Dear BK I feel sorry for you.  Why do you always have to deal with such imcompetent salespeople? :(

Is your AOL at least working now?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2004, 04:07:03 PM »

Oh DR WFO: do let us know when Joe returns home!
(i hope it's already happened).

And DR DerBrucer: I agree with DR Emily, you could easily get along in Montreal with English only (especially downtown and on the West Island where I am).  There are definitely some areas around Montreal that are much more french.  But the downtown core is totally bilingual.

Well my experience is limited to trips in the late 50's early 60's. I found the wait staff in most downtown establishments insufferably smug, and turning a deaf ear to English. I was made to feel most unwelcome! I've never been to Toronto, but have been to Ottawa and had a blast.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2004, 04:16:05 PM »

WELCOME HOME, JOE!

Jed - Feel better! Health vibes are heading your way.

Larry - Nice to be loved! I still feel silly. I think it's because I hardly ever write "Dvorak" - make that NEVER write it. And my Hungarian brain just spells things phonetically by default. I did, however, spell Andreas Haefliger correctly. So all is not lost.
Amusing story: One of the members of the Takacs is the husband of a very close friend (she's also a musician). He insists on spelling his first name the Hungarian way - "Karoly"... The "LY" in Hungarian is pronounced as a soft "J" - as you know from "Kodaly."  
Karoly has rather long hair, which he throws around with abandon during his passionate violin playing. He's the only one of the quartet who is not "hirsutely challenged" - so I think that makes him doubly proud of his locks.
They were playing a concert in Boston. At intermission a friend of mine who happened to be in the audience overheard an elderly lady, looking quite puzzled, saying to her companion, "That violinist,   "Carollie"... Is she a woman?"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 04:19:03 PM by Panni »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2004, 04:18:28 PM »

It is not too late to have Mickey, Donald and Goofy released to theatres if enough interest is shown.  That is the purpose of writing to Mr. Cook who could change the distribution plan if he finds there is enough interest in it.  This information was posted on a Disney fan site today.  Apparently there has already been some interest shown in changing this to a theatrical release and Mr. Cook is concerned that they might be making a mistake.  There have been trailers before on Disney DVDs and VHSs for films whose releases were postponed or that were shown in theatres first and then released to home video later than initially planned (PETER PAN 2 was one of them).  That is why enough e-mails like I suggested could get this released first to theatres.

Well, I guess I'm the Grinch - I love Disney, but even if Three Musketeers was theatrically released, I would not go, but would wait and buy the DVD. The film doesn't seem to need the grand-cinema experience; home viewing would be just fine.

A DVD costs only a buck or two more than 2 theatre tickets, and you have the product for ever.

der Brucer (will return Christmas later)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2004, 04:20:51 PM »

DRBEVAN looks like DRJED

LOL- my thought was, not that he looks like him, but there is a familiar feel or look to the photo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2004, 04:21:57 PM »

Everything seems to be working fine now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up