Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STRAIGHTFORWARD NOTES  (Read 38026 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE STRAIGHTFORWARD NOTES
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2004, 12:35:46 PM »

I think I love a lot of Rodgers and Hart songs, but honestly don't know which ones they wrote...and those titles listed (most of them) don't ring a bell with me. If I heard them then I am sure I would recongnize almost all of them....so I will say that some of my favorites have already been listed! LOL!

I have no opinion of Babs S. I loved WHAT'S UP DOC but have not really seen any of her other films, and as for her singing, I am not that familiar with a lot of her work and what I have heard didn't do much for me. But I love Bollywood music and Roger Corman films so what do I know! LOL!

There's an MGM musical called "Words and Music" that purports to be the story of Rodgers and Hart and is chockful of their tunes.

Never mind that they make Larry Hart (Mickey Rooney) into a pathetic heterosexual spurned by the only woman he could possibly love (Betty Garrett) but who constantly spurned him as something untouchable.

Mickey was short enough to play the part, but in typical Hollywood fashion, Hart was relegated to having a one-true-love-obsession that led him to suicide.

The score is glorious, though!

(Hey! We made it to page 4 and it's not even 1 p.m. PST yet).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 12:37:08 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »

Has anyone picked up the HOWDY DOODY DVDs? I see them at the store and keep thinking that they would be interesting to watch (as Howdy Doody ended a few years before I was born). Does anyone recommend them??

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2004, 12:49:16 PM »

Here is something new and a little different to get the conversation rolling again.  I noticed that Entertainment Weekly and one of their columnists have been receiving some flak in the last two weeks, based on the statement in a recent issue that called Marlon Brando the greatest actor of all time.  They did not say the greatest actor of his generation, or even, arguably the best actor of all time; but instead they simply called him, “the greatest actor of all time.”  Now, presumably, the writer and / or the magazine truly believe this statement to be true.  But I would have to question what criteria they used to reach this decision.  Was this choice based on his body of work, or was it based on one particular performance?  Was it the stage or the  screen?  Or both?  And if Brando is the greatest, then where do you rank Olivier?  Or John Gielgud?  Or Richard Burton?  Or Henry Fonda?  And who has been around long enough to judge some of history’s legendary actors, such as Edwin Booth or James O’Neil or even John Wilkes Booth?

At the same time, should we limit the definition of actor, to only men?  Or could the greatest actor of all time be a woman?  What of Helen Hayes, Bette Davis, Meryl Streep, Sarah Bernhardt, or Katharine Hepburn?

How would you ever compare all these different styles of acting to determine who is or was the best of all time?

The whole thing kind of boggles my mind.  Did some organization or another award Brando this title?  Anyone have an opinion on the subject?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2004, 12:53:53 PM »

WFO I’m not surprised Joe has been sleeping so much since his return.  Hugs & sleeping, all part of the healing process.  Hope it went well at the doctor’s today.

Emily feel better soon.  

Okay, as difficult as it is I will have to say my favorite song is BEWITCHED, BOTHERED & BEWILDERED.  I may change my mind in an hour.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2004, 01:02:45 PM »

I [ Laurie Beechman was the best narrator and the show itself (based on the recording) was just absolute delightful.  

DR George, I saw that production; a friend from college was the wardrobe mistress and I knew an actor in the show.  Your guess is correct:  it was an absolute delight and Laurie, God bless her, was quite wonderful!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2004, 01:03:36 PM »

LOL DRJANE....I was trying to be funny by leaving the word "word" out of my post.....wasn't funny, was it?  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2004, 01:16:31 PM »

Wow, for some reason it has taken me FOREVER to catch up on all the posts today and yesterday.

Let me join in and say to DR WFO: I'm so happy Joe is home!

DR Emily: when you said it was -11C, you forgot to mention that with windchill this morning it was -25C.

This makes no sense.  On Wed it is supposed to be +6C (43F). And by Friday it is supposed to be in the 50sF.

I just hope this cold front leaves. I want Spring!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2004, 01:23:57 PM »

A little while ago, Nancy the postwoman buzzed me. I met her in the lobby, and she handed me a large envelope. Seeing my reaction she said, "that must be something really special." I told her that it certainly was. Sent by airmail, it cost a fortune in postage and took ten days to arrive. But Kritzer Time has finally come to Canada.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2004, 01:27:11 PM »

To each his own, but I'd NEVER consider Brando as the greatest actor. He has certainly given devastating performances (my mother and father saw Tandy and Brando in STREETCAR on their honeymoon), but I don't find him especially compelling in the last three or four decades, certainly not since the 1950s. Never understood the hosannahs he got for LAST TANGO IN PARIS, and he and Al Pacino should have been in the opposite Oscar categories for THE GODFATHER. Brando was the supporting actor to me; it was Pacino's picture. For me, that was one of the least worthy Oscars ever given (much less refused).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2004, 01:31:35 PM »

It's all value judgments but Mr Brando would not make my top 50. I have seens his roles since the late 60's as being parodies of himself. What do I know? Even the wonderful Sir John G ended up playing much the same role  - himself (but was very aware of it and liked the money!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2004, 01:32:04 PM »

Please refer me to a specific quotation where I said any such thing about the "rape" bromide being what you say I said.

I can recall using it as an example of things that were said to a Navy audience, of which I was a member, at a time when the audience laughed and was not offended BECAUSE AT THAT TIME we were not sensitized to it.

I have never taken the position that the bromide itself was inoffensive...only that in another time and another place, I heard it in a context that was unaware of its insensitivity.  If you took it any other way, I am sorry.

And I apologize if I misinterpreted your original remarks; I also agree that sensitivity and manners can only make the world a better place.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2004, 01:34:06 PM »

... another inmate who was being released shook my hand and said, "[Joe] is a great guy.  He helped a lot of people in there."  

WFO,

Even in the most trying environment, Joe showed kindness. That's a wonderful testament to his character.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 01:36:03 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Lulu

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2004, 01:36:19 PM »

I don't have anything against Brando, but I've also never understood all the "brilliant/genius/best actor EVER" hoo-ha that's always surrounded him, either.

I suspect (just because I'm cynical) that there's a DVD box set of the Compleat Works of Marlon Brando due out soon; that would nicely explain EW's declaration.   ;)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2004, 01:39:38 PM »

Could one of the many expert chefs on this here, the happiest site on the Internet, tell me and other inquiring minds what the difference is between steaming and cooking a vegetable. ???  Flavorwise, health benefits-wise. Any wise you choose to discuss. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 01:40:26 PM by Panni »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2004, 01:43:17 PM »

Could one of the many expert chefs on this here, the happiest site on the Internet, tell me and other inquiring minds what the difference is between steaming and cooking a vegetable. ???  Flavorwise, health benefits-wise. Any wise you choose to discuss. Thank you.

I think that steaming a vegetable is when you make unflattering remarks about its parentage.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2004, 01:44:44 PM »

Lulu, I think you may be right about the Brando boxed set, but I hope they don't bring it out on my account!
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2004, 01:48:23 PM »

I think that steaming a vegetable is when you make unflattering remarks about its parentage.
Thanks TCB. LOL
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2004, 01:52:42 PM »

By all means get one Howdy Doody DVD to see what you missed.  More than one might be overkill.

See today's Peter Filichia column at Theatremania.com for an interesting take on today's birthday boys.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Lulu

« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2004, 01:55:18 PM »

Panni:  I think steamed veggies are vastly preferable to cooked veggies because:

*They retain their vitamins and minerals (when vegetables are cooked in water, a lot of the nutrients "escape" into the water)

*They retain their vivid colors and crisp texture (provided they're not oversteamed).

We use a bamboo steamer, which has the added benefit of three levels (so you can steam three different vegetables separately but simultaneously, or, say, steam two veggies and some potstickers, etc.).  Steaming works quite quickly, as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2004, 01:58:52 PM »

DRLULU did you watch The Midwestern Hayride?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2004, 01:59:01 PM »

An unpopular observation about a Brando performance:

I thought him brilliant in "Mutiny on the Bounty."  I thought his Fletcher Christian very complex, multi-layered and fascinating.  It's one of the screen's great underrated performances.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2004, 01:59:34 PM »

Lulu: Me, too.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2004, 02:02:21 PM »

Add me to the list of those whom do not consider Brando the greatest actor.  I thought what he was paid to be Superman’s father was obscene.

I have never used a bamboo steamer.  I just toss my veggies together in a metal steamer that sits in any pot.  

Jane

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2004, 02:03:15 PM »

I forgot-TCB-LOL

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2004, 02:07:30 PM »

DRLULU did you watch The Midwestern Hayride?

My parents did.  Is LULU from Cincinnati?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2004, 02:11:34 PM »

Emily, Jennifer and all of you living in a cold climate, I am sorry you aren’t having an Ashland perfect spring day.

JRand53 now I get it! (we should have a light bulb happy face).  Feel free to point my errors out anytime-you certainly aren’t the first to do so. ;D ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2004, 02:21:17 PM »

I am steaming an artichoke in an electric steamer.

Only here at haineshisway.com could you have such a sentence.  I am playing my Goldsmith Box Set - very handsome.

Laura II

« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2004, 02:22:49 PM »

Welcome home, Joe!

Feel better, Em!

Thanks again for your sympathy everyone!

I love "My Funny Valentine." I've heard and sung quite a few arrangements, and it touches me every time.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2004, 02:27:16 PM »

Thank you for the steaming info!

And yes, I'd neglected to send health vibes to the wilds of Canada. Feel better, Emily!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2004, 02:28:19 PM »

LOL DR JANE.  DRLULU has some Midwestern roots, so I was thinking she may have been subjected to Kenny Price.

RLP I also thought Brando's Fletcher Christian was very good....I love that movie!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up