Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IDES OF MARCH  (Read 43043 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE IDES OF MARCH
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2004, 10:17:32 AM »

I wrote:
DR DerBrucer: You know that when DR Emily said it was her job, she wasn't referring to YOU, but to her ACTUAL JOB (for gun control).

:)

I did not. Like an innocent lamb I've been led into the lion's den!

I was wondering, when you put that questioning smiley.

So now you know :)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2004, 10:19:44 AM »

JMK - How is Gabe doing?

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2004, 10:21:50 AM »

LOL, JMK!

I'm still into Hitchcock bigtime.  Just went to the library and picked up the DVD of Shadow of a Doubt (seen it before) and the VHS of Topaz (haven't).  I'd be interested to know what DR's who've seen Topaz think of it - NO SPOILERS, please!  There were a lot of interesting comments RE: Saboteur a few days ago.

We just got our first Netflix shipment today - pretty good, considering we just joined Sunday night.  Of course, having a distribution center a 30-minute drive away probably helps.  So now we've got Pirates of the Caribbean, but are still waiting on To Catch a Thief (still have never seen it, believe it or not!) and Mr. Vampire, a wacky Chinese horror movie with hopping vampires.

I'd heard complaints about DVDs arriving in bad shape, but I must say that the one we've received is in much better shape than the ones I get from the local library or Blockbuster, which typically have copious smudges, smears, and scratches on them.  Of course, this is only the first one - I suppose it might be a different story later on.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2004, 10:22:07 AM »

An Interesting column from theDetroit News (extracts)

Monday, March 22, 2004

Hudson taught painful lesson on marriage
By Deb Price / The Detroit News

In 1955, Hollywood secretary Phyllis Gates was young, in love and living the fantasy of many American women: A handsome movie star had swept her off her feet and married her. Her doting husband pampered her with jewels, lovemaking and talk of children. She rubbed elbows with Elizabeth Taylor, James Dean and Humphrey Bogart.

Yes, the early days of her marriage to Rock Hudson felt idyllic.

But the sweet nothings quickly disappeared, leaving only a bitter nothingness. Hudson became distant and depressed, started arguments just for an excuse to storm out of the house and disappear for hours. When he traveled, he stayed away as long as possible and rarely called home.

Clueless about what was wrong, Gates blamed herself, feared there was another woman and eventually sought psychiatric help. Her therapist helped her comprehend that she’d unwittingly married a gay man — something Hudson never admitted to her — and that she was powerless to make the relationship work.
Gates divorced Hudson after three years. But by then her life was ruined. She never remarried, never had the children she’d longed for, never got over the heartbreak. To this day, she can’t even bring herself to watch TV reruns of her ex-husband’s movies.

In a gut-wrenching first-ever interview March 11 on “Larry King Live,” Gates explained her accidental involvement in a gay-straight marriage: “I didn’t see any inkling” that Hudson was gay. She added, “Maybe I was a dope. ... It hurts, terribly. I mean, how can you compete?”

Watching that interview, Amity Buxton heard a painfully familiar story. She, too, had lived through the nightmare of being married to someone of the opposite sexual orientation.

The founder of the Straight Spouse Network (www.ssnetwk.org), Buxton says she wishes President George W. Bush had seen Rock Hudson’s ex-wife talk about how her life was shattered by having unwittingly married a gay man who felt he had no choice but to try to hide behind a straight spouse.

Unlike many of Bush’s critics, Buxton isn’t afraid his policies will throw her out of work. She fears they’ll overwhelm her with new business.

Pressed to justify his call for amending the Constitution to ban gay people from marrying one another, Bush declared, “Marriage between a man and a woman is the ideal. And the job of the president is to drive policy toward the ideal.”

But Buxton, who for decades has counseled thousands of heterosexuals devastated by having married gay spouses, warns that driving gay people to lie to themselves or to others inevitably leads to sham, mixed-orientation marriages and broken lives.

“The legalization of marriages of same-gender couples would decrease such personal family disasters and increase the number of stable couples contributing to community life,” Buxton wrote Bush recently. “With fewer divorces and more couples staying together, marriage as an institution might begin to heal.”
Buxton sees gay-straight marriages as a “cautionary tale” about what happens when society insists on pretending that everyone ought to marry someone of the opposite sex.

“Homophobia hurts not just gays but straight spouses as well,” says Buxton, who is happily remarried. “The anger, the fear, the grief (of straight-gay divorce) escalate because there is nobody to talk to about it. ... All because people couldn’t be true to themselves.”

der Brucer (who spent 18 years acting "Rock Hudson")

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2004, 10:29:03 AM »

So all this talk of Johnny Mercer has got me thinking that I should read the bio that came out last year. (As if I don't have enough unread books...). Anybody out there have thoughts on the book. Good? Worth a read?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2004, 10:36:15 AM »

...with hopping vampires.

Sounds akin to one of my (Guilty Pleasure) favorites:
"Five Million Years to Earth" (AKA "Quatermass and the Pit" -1968).

der Brucer (hopping, hopping, hopping...)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2004, 10:36:26 AM »

Yes, I have read the Notes; and the notes are, wrong, arong, wrong! (That's three wrongs - if two wrongs don't make a "right", then I guess three wrongs don't make a "left".)

Today is not, I repeat not, the Ides of March - they are more than a week past!

As Info Please informs:

The Roman calendar organized its months around three days, each of which served as a reference point for counting the other days:

·   Kalends (1st day of the month)
·   Nones (the 7th day in March, May, July, and October; the 5th in the other months)
·   Ides (the 15th day in March, May, July, and October; the 13th in the other months)

The remaining, unnamed days of the month were identified by counting backwards from the Kalends, Nones, or the Ides. For example, March 3 would be V Nones—5 days before the Nones (the Roman method of counting days was inclusive; in other words, the Nones would be counted as one of the 5 days).

In Classical Triva, Victor Estevez opines (ala Kimmel):

Beware the Ides of March. Julius Caesar ignored that warning and you know what happened to him.

But what are the Ides of March? Is there any such thing as a single Ide? Are Ides anything like Druthers? The Ides of March are what Romans called March 15.

There's no such thing as a single Ide. Ides are nothing at all like Druthers. Druthers are smaller, hairier, and have fewer moving parts.

Do other months have Ides? Yes, every selfrespecting month has Ides. May I call April the 15th the Ides of April. No, you may not, though local newscasters, for whom a little knowledge is always a dangerous thing, inevitably refer to the tax deadline as the Ides of April. Anyone with a third grade education (if he or she went to school in the 40's) can tell you right off that in April the Ides fall on the 13th and can recite the rhyme: March, July, October and May, the Nones fall on the 7th day.

Was that in the 40's B.C., or A.D.?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2004, 10:38:32 AM »

Forgot about Emily (the song, not the person).  I love that song.

Topaz is a major guilty pleasure of mine.  Don't know what VHS you got - there are two.  One is the theatrical cut, and one has seventeen additional minutes which is the preview cut, and which is much preferable to the theatrical cut.  The DVD features the longer cut, and I recommend the DVD anyway since the VHS has lousy color, and it's a beautifully shot film.

Panni

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2004, 10:41:06 AM »

An Interesting column from theDetroit News (extracts)

The founder of the Straight Spouse Network (www.ssnetwk.org), Buxton says she wishes President George W. Bush had seen Rock Hudson’s ex-wife talk about how her life was shattered by having unwittingly married a gay man who felt he had no choice but to try to hide behind a straight spouse. n’t be true to themselves.”

der Brucer (who spent 18 years acting "Rock Hudson")

The very first longform I ever wrote (in Canada) - RUNNING MAN - was about just that subject. I interviewed many men who had been in that situation. Had I known you then, der Brucer....
It was very complex - isn't everything - because most of the men I spoke to loved the women they married and did not want to hurt them. After the movie aired (and was denounced in Parliament, I'm proud to say) I got so many letters from people saying that I must have been hiding under the bed (so to speak) because I got it right. The other complexity, not of the Hudson variety, in my story was that the man was also in denial. He'd grown up in a society where his feelings were an "illness" which had a cure. He tried the cure - marriage - and it didn't work. So he put it away in a compartment of his life which occasionaly acted on, but only in one-nighters. And then he fell in love with a man... Interesting story (made it up). I still have some of the letters "To the writer of the filth" which told me I was going directly to hell - and not collecting $200.

Panni

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2004, 10:44:08 AM »

BTW - The other day I read a review of a new low budget indie film which is apparently the Hudson-Gates story, thinly disguised and well done. I'll have to dig up the review and find the title.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2004, 10:47:10 AM »

Thanks for your response, BK.  It's good to know somebody likes it, as it is generally considered to be lesser Hitch.  Especially since it's nearly 2 and a half hours long, I'd like to think that we'll be enjoying ourselves for that long while we watch it.

This is the "supersized" version, so we made out well on that score.  I'm sure the DVD version is superior, and I'd been considering getting the DVD instead, but since I've never seen it and, like I say, it's not generally well-regarded, I figured we'd just see the (free) library VHS instead.  If we enjoy it, we might wind up with the DVD eventually.

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2004, 11:20:28 AM »

Favorite Johnny Mercer song:

My Shining Hour.

DR Stuart,  how could I forget one of my alltime faves!!!!  I first heard it on a Mabel Mercer album and I think it's one of the purest melodies ever written with an effortless lyric grace and yearning.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Emily

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2004, 11:27:33 AM »

aren't there any songs with "bruce" in the title? ;)

*hugs der brucer... different political culture and all*

« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 11:28:46 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2004, 11:28:26 AM »

Favourite Johnny Mercer song above all others:

OUT OF THIS WORLD
...with a lovely melody supplied by Harold Arlen

Other favs:

BOB WHITE
DAY IN, DAY OUT
SKYLARK
FOOLS RUSH IN
LAURA
DEARLY BELOVED
I REMEMBER YOU

JMK...was the lady who sat around Henry Wilcoxon's house and watched the TEN COMMANDMENTS Kathy Orrison by any chance? I became friends with Mr. Wilcoxon during the last couple years of his life.  His constant companion and biographer was Ms. Orrison.  He was a fascinating and very nice man who had suffered a lot of hardship and had even been a victim of DeMille's cruelty.  Even late in life he was very handsome with this leonine mane of hair.  I actually have some momentos from my association with him.  A purple glass ash-tray sits on my office coffee table.  It used to hold Mr. Wilcoxon's pipe.  It now holds coins.  I also have some cordial glasses that were his and several books of his.

One of my favourite stories about Wilcoxon was told by Clint Walker at his funeral (Wilcoxon's; Clint's still very much alive).  Walker had a small bit as The Prince of Sardinia in Ten Commandments.  He was in a long courtroom procession scene with lots of extras.  De Mille called action and started the scene when a comb that Walker had slipped in his costume fell out and clattered to the floor,ruining the shot and making DeMille shout angrily," Who did that? What was that noise?"  Walker had visions of his career being over before it started, when Wilcoxon bent down and picked up the comb and said, "I dropped my comb, C.B."  Wilcoxon knew that C.B. would grumble a bit but not tear him a new a-hole and  fire him like he would Walker.   It gives you an idea of the man's graciousness.

He also told funny stories about both he and Claudette Colbert fighting to be filmed from their left sides...which was the good side for both of them.

I'm meeting my director on my mini-series for the first time tomorrow.  This is always the most terrifying meeting for any writer.  I will need all your good vibes that it goes smoothly and well.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 11:32:53 AM by Charles Pogue »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2004, 11:28:55 AM »

Favorite Johnny Mercer:

Moon River
Come Rain or Come Shine
Dream
Lil' Abner
-- the whole score

“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2004, 11:29:23 AM »

So all this talk of Johnny Mercer has got me thinking that I should read the bio that came out last year. (As if I don't have enough unread books...). Anybody out there have thoughts on the book. Good? Worth a read?

DR Panni, I've browed through it several times at Barnes & Noble, and I found it interesting.  I'm still debating on buying it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2004, 11:31:47 AM »

smooth vibes to DR Charles Pogue!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  ;)   :)   ;D    :o   8)   :-*   :)   ;)  [/move]

Loved the Clint Walker/ Henry Wilcoxon story!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 11:32:51 AM by MBarnum »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2004, 11:34:57 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;DGOOD VIBES FOR CHARLES POGUE! ;D[/move]

« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 11:35:45 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2004, 11:41:43 AM »

JMK, I agree. MIDNIGHT SUN is a lyric tour de force.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2004, 12:03:15 PM »

I just read the news from Laura II.  It is so sad for all involved.  Laura how is your brother?  Is the school offering counseling or doing something else to help the students?

Sarah, you have my deepest sympathy.  You have had to deal with too many losses lately.

Hi all, I just wanted to post this. I got this news from Sarah.

Though we all know things like this happen, they will never cease to be shocking & upsetting made more difficult when people we care abut like Sarah and Laura are hurt by it.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2004, 12:16:33 PM »

She said crisis teams will be at the school today to help students "deal with this tragedy."

One of my questions answered.  Thank you.

So, so sad.

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2004, 12:18:13 PM »

MERCER!

That Old Black Magic
Moon River
My Shining Hour
Skylark

and a lesser known song--Two of a Kind
Thnaks Arnold. It's always good to have a Bobby Darin reference. Great album with Mercer & Darin.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2004, 12:35:10 PM »

GOOD DIRECTOR VIBES, FS POGUE!

(He wouldn't have job without YOU.)

Panni

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2004, 12:35:50 PM »

Who's the director?

Jane

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2004, 12:43:25 PM »

DerBrucer, can you debunk this?  DearReader Laura uses plastic wrap in the microwave.  I have been told the plastic wrap we have in this country, unlike in England, has chemicals that are not good for us.  Plus, microwaving them makes it worse.

SWW-great story on the missing remote.  ;D

Thank you DB, I was going to check those Ides of March as I know them to be on the 15th.

Dan-in-Toronto I just got chills reading about the parents of your friend Sue.  What incredible, wonderful people they were.

Stuart what is your puppy’s name and please post a picture.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2004, 12:45:57 PM »

...But all of the ones he did with Henry Mancini are hauntingly beautiful and unique. I love them all.
This is the first time I've ever heard "He Shouldn't A Hadn't A Oughtn't A Swang On Me!" referred to as "haunting."  I suppose, in a slower tempo than usual...

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »

Panni, the director is Roger Young...I don't know him.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2004, 12:55:32 PM »

Thanks DR Emily, I didn't mind your rant.  But you did bring up a very interesting point.  Why do people in the US have guns for protection, while people in Canada don't?

Somehow, the idea of having a gun for "protection" has always struck me as absurd.  Guns are offensive weapons (in many ways).  The idea of using them for "protection" would only work if we could deflect bullets with them, the way Wonder Woman used her bracelets.  And bracelets make much better accessories.

Also question about steaming vegetables in the microwave:  are you guys saying that a veggie like broccoli would only take one minute to steam?

Yes.

And are the nutrients still the same if you microwave rather than use the stove?

The difference is negligable.  It increases with increased time, of course, but it's the heat that changes the nutrients, and regular steaming will also cause those changes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2004, 01:01:12 PM »

Good idea to "Accentuate the Positive." All this heavy talk is, well, heavy, man.

But I'll be back tonight with lots of mindless chatter about AMERICAN IDOL. It's country night tonight, you know.  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2004, 01:05:25 PM »

DerBrucer, can you debunk this?  DearReader Laura uses plastic wrap in the microwave.  I have been told the plastic wrap we have in this country, unlike in England, has chemicals that are not good for us.  Plus, microwaving them makes it worse.

SWW-great story on the missing remote.  

Thank you DB, I was going to check those Ides of March as I know them to be on the 15th.

Dan-in-Toronto I just got chills reading about the parents of your friend Sue.  What incredible, wonderful people they were.

Stuart what is your puppy’s name and please post a picture.

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES
MOONRIVER
SKYLARK

CharlesPogue-GOOD VIBES for a lovely first meeting with the director.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up