Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GAY MADCAP SPRITES  (Read 48467 times)

Ben

Re:GAY MADCAP SPRITES
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2004, 12:04:46 PM »

And now page 4

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2004, 12:05:04 PM »

Good vibes to DR Panni  (and I'm glad nothing serious was wrong last night) ~~~~~~

Ben

« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2004, 12:05:31 PM »

No dance. It's just not in me.

Michael

« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2004, 12:16:15 PM »

A quick log in from work...
What is the difference between Sprite and 7Up?
What is the difference between Diet Coke and Tab?
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2004, 12:25:19 PM »

Good vibes scenario for DR Panni:

"The female producer with manly hands loved all of the writer's ideas."

« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 12:57:35 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2004, 12:25:24 PM »

The difference between Diet Coke and Tab is that one tastes good and one tastes like sludge.

The difference between Sprite and 7UP are less severe, although I prefer 7UP.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2004, 12:26:10 PM »

While Schwartz has done revisions to Children of Eden, the show he really can't put away is The Baker's Wife.  He's been futzing with that show since its Broadway closing and he's never stopped.

What Broadway closing?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2004, 12:37:35 PM »

Might this be USA's future hope?

Johnny Weir
Wearing Tanya Harding's hand-me-downs!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2004, 12:39:57 PM »

If this is the U.S.'s men's figure skating future:

(I keep thinking, "During out days in the chorus, Arlenae could throw her legs higher...AND wider...than all of us." -- Maggie Smith about Diana Rigg in "Evil Under the Sun")

« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 03:03:38 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2004, 12:40:27 PM »

Can France's Brian Joubert be the world figure skating champion of the future?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 12:43:43 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2004, 12:46:31 PM »

Wearing Tanya Harding's hand-me-downs!

That one is a bit less masculine than the one he wore in the short program (below)-- althought that gold border dipped down in back, giving the impression it was the outline of a skating "skirt".  He IS a superb skater and the costumes belie his very natural style.  I'm hoping someone grooms him for A-list appearances.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 01:32:57 PM by RLP »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2004, 12:49:04 PM »

Can France's Brian Joubert be the world figure skating champion of the future?
Wearing a salute to the Matrix films!  Does he skate in bullet-time?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2004, 12:50:37 PM »

To Dear Reader Panni:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%] GAS!!  GAS!!  GAS!!  GAS!!  GAS!!  GAS!!  GAS!!  GAS!!  GAS!! [/move]  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 12:51:06 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2004, 12:51:47 PM »

Wearing a salute to the Matrix films!  Does he skate in bullet-time?

He's so fast -- and jumps so high and turns so quickly -- you won't believe your eyes!

He's a pistol.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2004, 12:57:55 PM »

Baker's Wife didn't make it in, even with Paul Sorvino?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2004, 12:58:05 PM »

HOLD ONTO YOUR GOOD VIBES, FOLKS!

My meeting has just been postponed because I'm told the Exec has a toothache and must go to the dentist.
As pissed off as I am about a last minute cancelation, think of it...
A meeting late on a Friday afternoon, trying to sell a rather complex idea for a film to a person with a toothache. ...Right.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 12:59:17 PM by Panni »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2004, 12:59:21 PM »

So, to both esteemed Steve S's I say: less work on the old, more work on the new.
Sondheim's not had a new work on Broadway in 10 years.  Used to be, he was mighty prolific, with openings in:
1970, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984 & 1987.
And what shows those were!

Schwartz, at long last, has given us Wicked.  In the 70's, he gave us three of the decade's longest runs:
Pippin, Godspell and The Magic Show, plus the never-quite-made-it-to-Broadway The Baker's Wife, and Working.

I had a lovely walk.  I looked at the statue of Kossuth, about whom Panni can tell us more.  It's not far from the statue of Tildin, a fellow who won the popular vote for President.  But the results were disputed, and votes from three southern states were authenticated by a panel consisting of mostly Republicans, thus giving the election to the Republican Rutherford Hayes.  Sound familiar?

I took a good look at some recently-constructed buildings.  There's something on a side street called Lenfest Hall which is well-proportioned, and uses two cheerful shades of brick.  The new School of Social Work (to open this year) strikes me as very successful.  There's overly-subtle brick work (the color: buff) which requires one to look closely to see the brick-layers' art.

OK, now I've given TCB enough set-up lines.

I did some writing in Riverside Park and a little more overlooking Morningside Park.  A very emotional scene and then an angry but comic one.  Songwriting is my natrual bent, so, when I set out to write a book scene, I find my characters launch into rhythm and rhyme.  So, at some time later, I face the delicate question of exactly what should be sung and what should be spoken.  A father is going to tell his son he can no longer play with his best friend.  I think that will be said without music, and hope the absence of music will maximize the impact.  At least that's the idea for today.

With the painting, stuff gets moved around: While I'm now missing Making Love Alone again, I did find this photo (and I'm utterly amazed I was able to figure out how to do this)...

« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 01:02:24 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2004, 12:59:37 PM »

DR Ben, it must be frustrating when you post a link to an article and people react without actually reading it.  That's why der Brucer and I regularly post excerpts.  For example, for your link to Masada I would have excerpted the following:

features a score by Shuki Levy (music) and David Goldsmith (lyrics) and a book by Glenn Berenbeim. According to production notes, the musical is "set in World War II Warsaw [and] tells the story of a courageous group of actors, who, in defiance of their oppressors, perform a musical retelling of the legend of Masada."

I would have thought that this makes it quite clear that they are telling the story about a group of people gaining courage from the legend of Masada, as many others have through the ages.

Furthermore:

Lyricist David Goldsmith wrote the lyrics for the touring musical Hot Shoe Shuffle as well as songs for such films as "Pepita," "Set It Off," "Thief of Always" and "A Christmas Carol." His play, Hotel Buzz, has been optioned by Rent producer Kevin McCollum.

This specifically states that he has written lyrics for a musical before.  So much for the statement that he hasn't, made by someone hereabouts.

(Good referencing to the stories, Ben; I found them interesting, even if too few others bothered to read them.)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2004, 01:04:12 PM »

As memory serves, the closest BAKER'S WIFE ever got to NYC was an off-Broadway version in the late 80's with -- heaven forfend -- Jack Weston.  As I recall.  Can't recall who played the LuPone role.....  

Might have been ELT before they went away.  Might have even been over at St. Peter's.

Ahhhh, the memory plays tricks....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2004, 01:05:03 PM »

Schwartz, at long last, has given us Wicked.  In the 70's, he gave us three of the decade's longest runs:
Pippin, Godspell and The Magic Show, plus the never-quite-made-it-to-Broadway The Baker's Wife, and Working.
Clearly, his winning awards for Pocahontas and Prince of Egypt don't count, nor does his work on Hunchback of Notre Dame, because all of that was done for film.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2004, 01:12:31 PM »

Nope.  It didn't even make it to Philly, which was supposed to have been the last stop on the pre-B'way tour.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2004, 01:17:58 PM »

Are you only interested in picking bones, or is there something you wish to say?

I misspoke: the lyricist of Masada has written one musical which has never played New York.  If somebody here has seen Hot Shoe Shuffle, I'd love to hear about it.

Stephen Schwartz, in the 1980's, had one musical on Broadway (Rags) after his 1970's musicals ran up more performances than anyone else's in New York.  I think that's a shame.  Guess others disagree.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2004, 01:19:11 PM »

The BAKER'S WIFE refered to by Stuart above was a York P\Theatre mainstage production.  Until recently they had a whole wall of posters in the lobby from previous productions and that was one of them.  I don't recall the cast.  New Yorkers will get a chance to see BAKER'S WIFE  next season if they take a short train ride to Papermill in New Jersey next April.  They will also be doing four other musicals (OF THEE I SING, SHE LOVES ME, RAGTIME and a new musical version of HAROLD AND MAUDE) as well as a new play called THE DRAWER LEGACY with John Mahoney from the HOUSE OF BLUE LEAVES revival.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2004, 01:24:55 PM »

Speaking of Masada, as well as the stories of Eden and Noah, etc., it would be interesting to follow how these stories have been told, and retold, generation after generation, each time for a new audience in a manner each audience can enjoy.  The story basically stays the same, but reinvents itself, from the original writings (which were based, I'm certain, or oral tellings that existed long before the written word), through the Miracle and Passion plays and onwards up to the present.  (Rudnick's The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told could be included, a version of the basic stories that as little as ten years earlier wouldn't have been contemplated.)

As for Children of Eden, I find the linking of the Eden and Noah stories fascinating, particularly through the one character that appears in both: the Lord.  The thrust of the story becomes one where the Lord learns how to change and accept.  Since the Lord does not appear in the Bock/Harnick/Coopersmith or Rodgers/Charnin/Stone tellings of the respective stories, this arc is new, and interesting in itself.  It certainly gives more meaning to the covenant and the rainbow.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2004, 01:25:19 PM »

With the painting, stuff gets moved around: While I'm now missing Making Love Alone again, I did find this photo (and I'm utterly amazed I was able to figure out how to do this)...

"My EYES!  My EYES!" -- Phoebe Buffay on seeing Chandler and Monica "doing it" from Ross's living room window (ugly naked guy's former apartment).

Seriously, if you worry that you will again somehow forget how to do "that," there's a show on Fox tonight called "Playing it Straight" in which a lot of that goes on -- One girl, 8 guys...all swapping spit with her and, consequentially, each other.  

(..or did you mean the actual posting of the photo is what you were amazed you remember how to do?   ;))
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 01:37:08 PM by RLP »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2004, 01:25:26 PM »

HOLD ONTO YOUR GOOD VIBES, FOLKS!

My meeting has just been postponed because I'm told the Exec has a toothache and must go to the dentist.
As pissed off as I am about a last minute cancelation, think of it...
A meeting late on a Friday afternoon, trying to sell a rather complex idea for a film to a person with a toothache. ...Right.

Could be that our vibes worked in mysterious ways...  
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2004, 01:43:40 PM »

<Lyricist David Goldsmith wrote the lyrics for the touring musical Hot Shoe Shuffle as well as songs for such films as "Pepita," "Set It Off," "Thief of Always" and "A Christmas Carol." His play, Hotel Buzz, has been optioned by Rent producer Kevin McCollum.>

I know Mr. Goldsmith and he's a nice sort.  However, let's have a little REALITY CHECK here:  Pepita has never come close to being made as a film.  I do not know the other films on his list.  And, if memory serves, his play Hotel Buzz was optioned five years ago.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2004, 01:44:37 PM »

SWW are you butch enough today?

Panni I haven’t had good marzipan in a long time.  I will in June.  June is when we go to Budapest.  And old habits never die, we just have to accept the fact we can’t “jump” when every instinct in our body wants to.  GOOD VIBES TO RACHAEL.  

Td-GREAT NEWS!!  GOOD VIBES to your parents continued good health.

Done with last night’s postings.  Now I’m leaving our laptop & going to the big computer while I catch up with today.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2004, 01:45:46 PM »

The difference between Diet Coke and Tab is that one tastes good and one tastes like sludge.

The difference between Sprite and 7UP are less severe, although I prefer 7UP.

Sprite is sickeningly sweet.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2004, 01:45:56 PM »

Could be that our vibes worked in mysterious ways...  

You may have a point.

Okay, according to an article I'm reading (instead of heading to the meeting, la-la-la) - Frank Sinatra called Jimmy Webb's "By the Time I Get to Phoenix".."the greatest saloon song ever written."
Michael Feinstein, with whom Jimmy W. is touring, says that Jimmy's work is a continuation of the Great American Songbook.
....Thought on this?...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 01:47:42 PM by Panni »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up