Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BILL NOTES  (Read 36290 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE BILL NOTES
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2004, 10:02:06 AM »

Topics, dear readers, topics.  This is your day, so make with the topics.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2004, 10:03:56 AM »

DerBrucer -- This uncle "made" the gifts?  Chicks, ducks, rabbits?  Sounds kind of ghoulish!

He wasnt your Uncle Frank, was he?  Of the Enstein side of your family?

:D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 10:04:42 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2004, 10:05:22 AM »

Echo keeps barking at me for attention.  I will return later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2004, 10:08:04 AM »

DerBrucer -- This uncle "made" the gifts?  Chicks, ducks, rabbits?  Sounds kind of ghoulish!

He wasnt your Uncle Frank, was he?  Of the Enstein side of your family?

:D

Or was it Dr Moreau?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2004, 10:10:49 AM »

Games:  I'm an inveterate Scrabble player, also like Trivial Pursuit...especially Silver Screen, Baby Boomer, and Vintage Years Editions, Dictionary, Yahtzee, and Boggle...though I usually do Boggle as form of Solitaire.  I also play solitaire on my computer.

I used to play some of those Avalon Hill War simulation games...Gettysburg and Kingmaker, but who has the time for a five, six hour game any more?  Five or six hours...heck, some of them would go for days...

I used to be a fairly good badminton player...though I haven't played for years and if I had a yard, I like to give croquet a go, which I haven't played since I was a child.

I saw a lovely production of The Royal Family directed by Sir Peter Hall at the Haymarket in London a couple of years ago.  It starred Judi Dench and Toby Stephens.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2004, 10:13:50 AM »

Does anyone have the Fox DVD of "Anastasia"?

I have the Laser which I think is wonderful, but I've had various people tell me that the Fox DVD transfers are better than the LDs.  For instance, I've recently watched "Peyton Place" on DVD and it's splendid with a gorgeous picture and terrific sound.

On "Anastasia," however, the sound is too low, and I have to crank my levels well past halfway just to get a decent blend of music and voice.  I'm not at all pleased with the single English 4.0 channel they've given us.

And what is with the ghastly alternate channel commentary by whatshername -- Sylvia Stoddard?? or something like that -- who, from the moment she saw this film in 1956, has spent her entire life studying Anna Anderson and Anastasia and the Romanov mystery? Yikes.  She's engaging enough at first.  Her enthusiasm is much better than a monotonic reading of notes.  She does, however, gush and carry on and it soon becomes wearisome.

One would think the commentary was done for DVD -- and yet she doesn't seem to have a clue that her comments about "it's all still a mystery" have been put to rest about Anna Anderson.  DNA was compared between her and Prince Phillip (who would have the same characteristics as a child of Nicholas and Alexandra).  There was no match, and science has laid to rest that any validity at all can be assigned to her claims.

Jon Burlingame's cogent remarks about Alfred newman's remarkable score were far too few and too far apart with huge gaps of Ms. Stoddards' commentary filling everything and then some.  James MacArthur's reminiscences about his mother, Helen Hayes, were interesting, I thought.  And Arthur Laurents' musings were a very mixed bag for me.  

The video is gorgeous, of course.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 10:26:20 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2004, 10:29:10 AM »

Then there was Samantha – who put to rest all the lore about cats.

Samantha was a tortoise shell cat I had foisted upon me by stage partner Morgan LeFey (no doubt as retribution for the great difficulty I had with our dance number “The Persuasion”).

I got to sing these yummilicious lyrics:

Masses and masses of gummy molasses!
Fudge by the van!
Fresh marzipan!

(I also wonder if, after struggling with a ponderous lift during rehearsal, my remarking on her seeming growing weight may have added to the rancor?)

Anyway, I suckered into taking custody of a wayward kitten.
From day one, Samantha (“Bewitched” was big than) was on odd bird, er, kitty.

One evening, during the eleven o’clock noise there arose such a clatter that I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter. There, prancing down the hall, head held high with pride, was a very, very, dirty Samantha. It seems I had forgotten to let her back in from the yard, so she had found her way up to the roof top and attempted to climb down the fireplace chimney. Since there really were no climbing holds, what you really had was one determined cat, in free fall, clawing at the brick all the down.

Now the flue probably had never seen a brush and the living room looked like a scene from DR MS’s “Mary Poopins”. There was soot everywhere! But Samantha seem quite pleased with herself; henceforth, she never need again bother humans to gain reentry to her abode. From that day forward, Samantha always did her Santa bit to get back inside. (After awhile the chimney was clean, and, needless to say, we built no future fires.) Now I must say, our guests for Bridge one evening were somewhat taken aback when Samantha made her entrance! “Did that cat just come down the chimney!!!!!”

Now Samantha had never heard about the fact that cats like to give birth in solitude.

We were moving from San Diego CA to Newport RI and I had wife, three pre-schools, and a very pregnant Samantha in tow. On our first night out we stayed the evening with friends in Westminster CA  I awoke early in the morning with this strange sensation around my toes. It seems Samantha had crawled under the covers and delivered her litter of six at my feet and one of the kittens had mistaken my toe for a teat!

The next day we all piled in my brand new Opal station wagon and started the journey across country. Samantha was not too pleased to have to lie in the back with a bunch of hungry kittens, and she kept picking them up and trying to throw them out of the car window!

This cross-country trek prepared me well for the last cross-country sojourn with only Woody and five dogs.

In Newport, we rented a lovely old three-story house in downtown – and there was no exposed flue on the roof for Samantha to scurry down; however, the undauntable Samantha did find a way to climb up on a porch roof, then jump into a large maple tree from whence she was able to leap onto the window sill of our second story bedroom window and insistently meow to be let back in.

Samantha apparently grew tired of Newport and set off to find other roofs to scale.

Der Brucer (who as a result of having Samantha curled up on his shoulder every night did develop a real nasty allergies to cats that took years to abate)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2004, 10:29:12 AM »

Pogue, we must have a Scrabble session - my favorite game.  My proudest Scrabble moment was played backstage at the Mark Taper Forum during Forget-Me-Not Lane.  I played during every performance with the show's pianist, Ray Henderson.  In one of thos once-in-a-lifetime moments, I did the word equinox.  Used all my letters, built off the word above (the "e" fell under an "h"), it fell on a triple word score and the "x" fell on a double letter score.  I can't remember the exact number of points, but it was around 160.

td

• td
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2004, 10:52:40 AM »

Does anyone have the Fox DVD of "Anastasia"?
And what is with the ghastly alternate channel commentary by whatshername -- Sylvia Stoddard?? or something like that -- who, from the moment she saw this film in 1956, has spent her entire life studying Anna Anderson and Anastasia and the Romanov mystery? Yikes.  She's engaging enough at first.  Her enthusiasm is much better than a monotonic reading of notes.  She does, however, gush and carry on and it soon becomes wearisome.
One would think the commentary was done for DVD -- and yet she doesn't seem to have a clue that her comments about "it's all still a mystery" have been put to rest about Anna Anderson.  DNA was compared between her and Prince Phillip (who would have the same characteristics as a child of Nicholas and Alexandra).  There was no match, and science has laid to rest that any validity at all can be assigned to her claims.

The video is gorgeous, of course.  

I'm still of the opinion that the riddle has NOT been solved.  I haven't listened to Ms. Stoddard's commentary - but you have piqued my interest - simply because I have read tome after tome after tome on Anna Anderson as well as on the Romanov Family.   This is the sort of subject which could lead to arguments equal to "The Magic Bullet" and "The Lone Assassin" theories, but I will state:  Who had the power to insure that the DNA samplings did not match?  Who stood to gain from the DNA samplings not matching?  If Anna Anderson was indeed the daughter of the last czar of Russia, who would lose?  If Anna Anderson was NOT the daughter of the last czar of Russia, who would gain?  Anna Anderson's lengthy legal battles were fought only in the efforts of giving her a name; if that name were Anastasia Romanov, what would be lost by whom?
There are still too many unsolved questions about Ms. Anderson - where did she get the bayonet wounds, which were noticbly similar to those that the imperial guards claimed to have inflicted on the last roayl family of Russia?  Where did her inherited bunions come from?   Why do all photos of Anna Anderson and Anastasia match to 99.something percent?  Where did Anna Anderson come from, and how did she get to be where she ended up?  What events happened to her in the years between 1917 and her dramatic entrance to European hospitals?  Why did so many of the Romanov family embrace this woman as Anastasia?  Why did the royal family's tutor cling to his belief that Anna was Anastasia?  
I could go on for days about this topic, but, suffice it to say that I do have a blackout sketch, which I was commissioned to write, dealing with the entire nightmaresque existence of Anna Anderson, entitled, "I'm Not Anastasia;" which was performed as part of a two-night only set of one-acts, under the umbrella title of WAKING UP. (if anybody is interested in this blackout sketch, I'd be more than happy to dig it up for you).

And yes, the transfer is gloriously gorgeous!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2004, 11:05:12 AM »

Jane - Thanks for asking - Rachel (no "a" - she despises the "a") is better. Still a little "spacey" she says, but much better.

Panni

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2004, 11:08:35 AM »

BTW - I'm the daughter of the last Czar. That being clarified, we can move on to other topics.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2004, 11:24:01 AM »

... suffice it to say that I do have a blackout sketch

For inclusion in the upcoming "Improv Theatre Terms for Dummies" would you define "blackout sketch".

der Brucer (who R one)

td

• td
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2004, 11:42:43 AM »

For inclusion in the upcoming "Improv Theatre Terms for Dummies" would you define "blackout sketch".

der Brucer (who R one)

One set.  minimal scenery.  less than ten minutes.  three or fewer actors.  
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2004, 11:47:47 AM »

SWW I love the Samantha Chimney story.  

I had never heard cats like to have their kittens in solitude.  When Gaea was close to delivery I rarely left home.  I made a special spot in my closet for her.  Once she began labor I only left her once to answer the phone in the other room.  Hearing a squeaky noise I turned to see Gaea carrying what appeared to be a mouse.  Hours later, with me next to her, she delivered her second kitten.  Hours later in the wee hours of the morning, it was a long night, I dozed off on the bed with Gaea curled up next to me only to be wakened by a loud painful scream and she delivered her third & last kitten.  We found a home for one of them & kept the other two, a black one we named Maria (for the song as she was wild like the wind) and a beautiful, but slightly dumb & funny, stripped male Keith named Sinbad.  My experience convinced me to have all my cats “fixed”.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2004, 11:49:03 AM »

I apologize for having disappeared for a few days, but I'm back!  I finished "Benjamin Kritzer" last week, and it's truly the sweetest, most enjoyable book I've ever read.  

...And thanks to me, it will soon be recquired reading for all South High School 8th graders.

I suggested it become part of the junior high curriculum to the head of the English department, she read the book, she loved it...we shall see.  :D

Yesterday, I saw Encores' production of "Pardon My English".  It's a truly wonderful, fun show and production, but what was far more interesting than the performance itself was the talkback with the cast and David, Ives, John Lee Beatty, Gary Griffin, Rob Fisher, Bob Kimball, and Kitty Carlisle Hart that took place afterwards.  I may have been the only person under seventy in that audience, but I was the first to offer Ms. Hart a standing ovation when she walked onstage.  She looks terrific!

Well, I'm off to catch up on a week's worth of daily threads.  :-*

« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 12:08:55 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jane

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2004, 11:50:39 AM »

Jane - Thanks for asking - Rachel (no "a" - she despises the "a") is better. Still a little "spacey" she says, but much better.

If I foget again, please feel free to remind me til I get it right.  Our older son is Bryan with a y & I really hate when it is spelled with an i.  He does get a kick out of Brain.  You wouldn't believe how often that happens. ;D

Jane

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2004, 12:02:51 PM »

Jay you might find these links interesting.

http://www.falsettos.net/royal_family_of_broadway.php

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/ae/theater/2416534
Then there's The Royal Family, Finn's musical version (with book by Richard Greenberg) of the classic George S. Kaufman-Edna Ferber comedy about an acting dynasty (based on the Barrymores). That one, Finn says, is temporarily "in limbo" because of difficulties regarding rights to the source play, which lapsed during the search for producers. "But it's not dead."

Panni

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2004, 12:07:47 PM »

Jenny - Good to see you back!

Panni

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2004, 12:18:10 PM »

Calling all Rosalind Russell fans. Seeing AUNTIE MAME last night for the first time in a million years, I was once more reminded of what a superb comedienne she was. Absolutely flawless timing. And interestingly enough, she does project a kind of vulnerability under the wisecracks. I now want to revisit many of her films. ...Favorites, DRs?

AUNTIE MAME also really brought home the fact that it was the perfect choice for a musical. I kept wanting them to burst into song. Felt like standing up to sing "We Need a Little Christmas!" - since no one in the movie was willing. (BTW - Rachel as a kid auditioned at the Hollywood Bowl for Jerry Herman to be part of that number in his tribute. She wasn't sure she had done well and I remember saying to her, "It doesn't matter how you did. You got to stand up on the stage of the Hollywood Bowl and sing for Jerry Herman. That's winning the lottery right there.) And we got free tickets for the show as a reward for auditioning - so it all turned out very well.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2004, 12:24:23 PM »

I apologize for having disappeared for a few days, but I'm back!  I finished "Benjamin Kritzer" last week, and it's truly the sweetest, most enjoyable book I've ever read.  

::Turns on Prompter::

Tell us about the kid who recognized BK because of First Nudie Musical

DERBRUCER

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »

Calling all Rosalind Russell fans. I now want to revisit many of her films. ...Favorites, DRs?

Majority of One, A (1962) .... Mrs. Jacoby
(For the brilliant acting)

Mrs. Pollifax -- Spy (1971) .... Mrs. Emily Pollifax
(For the pure fun of it!) - I love detective stories and this is sort of Auntie Mame meets Jessica Fletcher

Rosie! (1967) .... Rosie Lord
(Billed as a comedy but with a very powerful though-provoking script)

And a great supporting cast:

Rosalind Russell   ....    Rosie Lord
Sandra Dee   ....    Daphne
Brian Aherne   ....    Oliver Stevenson
Audrey Meadows   ....    Mildred
James Farentino   ....    David
Vanessa Brown   ....    Edith
Leslie Nielsen   ....    Cabot
Margaret Hamilton   ....    Mae
Reginald Owen   ....    Patrick
Juanita Moore   ....    Nurse
Virginia Grey   ....    Mrs. Peters

der Brucer (who notices with chagrin that the first is available only on VHS and the latter two not available at all!)

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2004, 12:43:08 PM »

::Turns on Prompter::

Tell us about the kid who recognized BK because of First Nudie Musical

But of course!  

A friend saw me reading "Benjamin Kritzer" and commented "Bruce Kimmel...isn't he the 'Nudie Musical' guy?".  A teacher also recognized BK's name, but for a different reason.  She's a former HHW lurker!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2004, 12:47:32 PM »

DR Panni -- how REMARKABLY WELL PRESERVED you are if you are the youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra.  You'd be...hmmm...around 99 years old right now.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2004, 12:59:41 PM »

DR Panni -- how REMARKABLY WELL PRESERVED you are if you are the youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra.  You'd be...hmmm...around 99 years old right now.

Botox and a personal trainer. And good genes, of course.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2004, 01:00:58 PM »

Jenny, I'm glad you enjoyed the book!  And yes, it should be read in junior high and high schools everywhere.  If you need any help from me in that regard, let me know.  Now you must read Kritzerland and Kritzer Time.   And don't be gone so long - we missed you terribly.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2004, 01:03:21 PM »

BTW - I'm the daughter of the last Czar. That being clarified, we can move on to other topics.

DR Panni, I've never seen you and Anna Anderson in the same room at the same time.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2004, 01:06:56 PM »

Mrs. Pollifax -- Spy (1971) .... Mrs. Emily Pollifax
(For the pure fun of it!) - I love detective stories and this is sort of Auntie Mame meets Jessica Fletcher

I once co-wrote (with the ex) a Mrs. Pollifax movie for television. It was going to be for Joanne Woodward - which would have been interesting casting. Then she decided she didn't want to be Mrs. Pollifax, so we rewrote it for Barbara Eden (quite a switch!). Then she decided not to do it - or perhaps the network did, I don't recall - and the whole thing disappeared. I don't even know where the script is. It wasn't bad. Fun to write.
I believe that years later Angela Lansbury wound up doing Mrs. Pollifax - but by then I was in no way attached to it.

Panni

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2004, 01:08:06 PM »

DR Panni, I've never seen you and Anna Anderson in the same room at the same time.

And for good reason.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2004, 01:34:38 PM »

I absolutely LOVE the movie ROSIE! Rosalind Russell is splendid in it, and so are those other outstanding actors, all of them part of the Ross Hunter repertory company.

But if anyone ever had any doubts about Roz doing her own singing in GYPSY, they were quickly dispelled by her singing of "Everybody Loves My Baby" early in the movie.

Juanita Moore was an excellent actress who got too few chances to shine. Her one or two scenes in ROSIE! are just wonderful.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2004, 01:38:53 PM »

Oh, dear. I have both PEYTON PLACE and ANATASIA on DVD, but both are still in shrink wrap. So many films, so little time.

Today, I watched four Season 5 episodes of SEX AND THE CITY (much better than I remembered them being; maybe they take on more significance now that I know what's happening to these characters by the end of the series). Then, I put in THE EPIC THAT NEVER WAS about the ill-fated abandoned epic I. CLAUDIUS. After years of owning the CLAUDIUS miniseries on videotape, I found a used copy of it on DVD and have been thoroughly enjoying the higher quality picture of the DVDs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up