Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DREAMING OF NUTMEATS  (Read 51870 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:DREAMING OF NUTMEATS
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2004, 11:09:43 AM »

DRDTM re: Alastair Cooke - isn't it terrible, I thought he was too.

More ribbon Candy....more Ribbon Candy!  I will share with DRJane.

MBARNUM - what a great idea.  Bollywood reviews at the DVDPLACE....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2004, 11:21:02 AM »

I knew candy would bring out the postings.

Pogue: What is "Bun"?

I'm gettin' me some Chocolate Babies!  Do they still call them that or do they call them something more times-friendly.

Actually, BK, I think Chocolate Babies is a far more "times-friendly" name than what they called them when I was growing up.

I think my favorite candies, and I believe they are local ones, but are sold nation-wide are Brown & Haley’s Mountain Bars.  They sound very much like Charles Pogue's Buns.  I always liked Tootsie Rolls, Sour Apple sticks, Milky Ways, Mounds Bars, wax pop bottles, candy cigarettes (but preferred chocolate), and when we went downtown and shopped at Sears’, I would always buy a quarter-pound of chocolate stars.

At the movies, when I was a kid, it was always a Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar (without almonds), because I usually only had a nickel extra to spend.  If I was feeling flush, I would always spend a dime and buy Flicks.  Sadly, Flicks are no longer made.

Who was it was talking about Turkish Taffy?  You can still get it, but it is now called French Chew.  

Jennifer -- Sadly you are too young to remember the days of the candy counters and candy stores.  I still remember penny candy.

Wow, is it possible to put on pounds typing?

Jrand – Thanks for the compliments on my kitties (don’t go there derBrucer).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2004, 11:27:53 AM »

A candy story from high school.

The Associated Student Body at Burbank High School (ASB at BHS) went through a few changes re their office space while I was a student there.  Originally, the office was located over the library, with windows overlooking same.  The librarian had never liked this arrangement, and during the first semester of my senior year the ASB was moved to another room, a strange space that was technically two classrooms linked by an archway and short flight of stairs.  During the spring semester, the ASB was moved again, this time to what had been a storage area that the janitorial team used.

Because the new office area was partially underground, beneath the football field, it stayed cool through the hotter months.  It was at this time that Bob, the rather snobby (if unimaginative) ASB President, decided a fundraiser was in order.  To this end, be placed a gigantic order with Ghiardelli for chocolate bars, to be sold at a profit.  The problem was, he ordered too much of the stuff, and the bars didn't sell nearly as well as he thought they would.

The only place the ASB had to store the chocolate was in it's offices.  This was fine, in one sense, because (as I said) the semi-underground location kept the office cool, and the bars didn't melt.  On the other hand, the ventilation wasn't all that great.  Soon, anyone walking into the office was knocked out by the smell of sweet chocolate.  Opening the windows helped a little, but then the entire courtyard outside the office became infused with the chocolate smell.  Everyone in the school became so sick of breathing chocolate fumes that sales of the bars quickly sank to a disasterous level.  Bob and company ended up having to sell the bars back to Ghiardelli at a loss!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2004, 11:27:55 AM »

LOL

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2004, 11:30:12 AM »

Alistair Cooke had a good, long life.  To be mentally active until the end is a blessing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2004, 11:32:16 AM »

...(tickets to only one show --- Karen Ziemba in WEIRD ROMANCE at Mufti --- instead of 3 or 4 like the last two weeks). ..
I love Weird Romance!  Good score, fun book!  Try to include how they do the special effects when you post a review, if you can, how much is specific and how much is left to the imagination!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2004, 11:43:32 AM »

Now I would think smelling the chocolate would encourage the sales.  At Hamilton High we had a candy line at lunch.  If I remember correctly it would open the last 15 minutes of the lunch period & I was usually first in line.  For a quarter I would by five candy bars and munch on them during class.  Can you tell I like candy?  That was just the candy I ate at school, not what I had at home.  My father kept a tin of chocolate next to his bed and my mother had a tin of assorted English Toffee next to her side.  In the living room there was always See’s candy for company.  In the kitchen there were little glass jars filled with assorted treats.  No wonder my teeth are so sensitive.

Question, which of those favorite childhood treats don’t you like today?  Though not on my list, I won’t eat Hershey’s anymore.  Recently I had Raisinetts and didn’t care for the chocolate.  I need the gourmet ones from the candy store.  Now I’m thinking Gayle’s Chocolates in Michigan.  They have great chocolate covered dried fruit.  But now I am reminded of another favorite I couldn’t eat today, malted milk balls.  I do eat the delicious ones from Gayles.

How did I forget cotton candy.  Two bites today is more than enough.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2004, 11:52:08 AM »

Alistair Cooke had a good, long life.  To be mentally active until the end is a blessing.

Are you kidding?  It's a miracle!  I am not even mentally active now.
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2004, 11:58:18 AM »

There is something disconcerting about the phrase "Charles Pogue's Buns"...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2004, 12:05:20 PM »

Maybe unseemly is the word you are looking for.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2004, 12:06:03 PM »

How could I have forgotten Malted Milk Balls??  I love 'em!

Never crazy about Goobers.  And I too have lost my taste for Raisinets.  And Butterfingers.  (Though I still like a Clark or a 5th Avenue, now and again.)

I also have to concur with my brother, DR Jay....the chocolates from LiLac on Christopher Street are out of this world.  But I have found Rochester's version:  Stever's chocolates.  Just as home made, and just as delicious.  In fact, they were written up in the NYTimes not long before we moved up here.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2004, 12:08:33 PM »

Especially when used in a sentence such as "They sound very much like Charles Pogue's Buns."

Take it as a compliment.  Sort of like Bette Davis Eyes.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2004, 12:11:33 PM »

MBarnum, I was going to ask you to do a Bollywood roundup for The DVD Place - so I'll post my review of Boot Bungler, but you and Jrand do a whole big roundup.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2004, 12:14:06 PM »

Sorry about that CP.  The sentence didn't come out exactly like it did in my head.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2004, 12:35:36 PM »

Are you kidding?  It's a miracle!  I am not even mentally active now.

LOL-tell me about it!

Jane

« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2004, 12:39:39 PM »

I want some chocolate.  So much for trying not to gain any more weight.  I have been on a binge lately and today’s topic is giving me the munchies.  It doesn’t help that I can’t get out of a walk today.  

Jane

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2004, 12:41:52 PM »

I also have to concur with my brother, DR Jay....the chocolates from LiLac on Christopher Street are out of this world.  But I have found Rochester's version:  Stever's chocolates.  Just as home made, and just as delicious.  In fact, they were written up in the NYTimes not long before we moved up here.

I just saved this important information for my, I hope, trip to New York in October.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2004, 12:52:38 PM »

I guess what I was trying to get across in my earlier post was that in terms of candy, I ran the complete gamut from very expensive Godiva to the cheapest tasting of the cheap (Black Cow suckers).

I think the biggest candy fad during my years of teaching were BlowPops. There were very few kids at recess who weren't sucking and chomping on those.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 12:56:52 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2004, 12:57:32 PM »

I guess what I was trying to get across in my earlier post was that in terms of candy, I ran the complete gamut from very expensive Godiva to the cheapest tasting of the cheap (Black Cow suckers).

I think the biggest candy fad during my years of teaching were BlowPops. There were very few kids at recess who were sucking and chomping on those.

I would ask what BlowPops are, but I think I prefer to use my imagination!

Maybe tomorrow's topic should be:
Which do you prefer carrot sticks or celery?

“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2004, 01:16:20 PM »

While TCB meditates on buns and Blowpops while daydreaming, perhaps, about an all-day sucker.....

I loved many of the same candies most of you have already mentioned, but some of my favorites were Fifth Avenue (anyone remember when each half had an almond on top?); Baby Ruth (they do NOT now taste the way they did when I was growing up -- they used to be much chewier...now they have very little substance); I loved Butternut candy bars, too.

But my favorite of all time:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 05:35:40 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2004, 01:18:01 PM »

Butternut, yes, uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2004, 01:20:37 PM »

I was very impressed by much of the recall of favorite childhood candies, but Lulu's accounts were both prodigious and vivid.  Somebody KNOWS her candies!  

Is there anyone "else" who has spent more time in dentists' chairs than one would have liked who wishes his/her familiarity with candies during childhood had been less friendly?????
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 01:29:47 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2004, 01:36:01 PM »

We have a new tenant in the apartment below ours. I was getting dinner ready last night, with the usual musical accompaniment. Granted, it was on the loud side, but there's never been a problem before. But last night came a knock on the door, and it was Christine (age 40ish) from downstairs. "Do you mind?" she asked. And as she heard the music she just shook her head, made a disgusted face, and asked, as if hearing something unbelievably revolting, "What is that you are listening to?" I just told her I was sorry, and then turned down the volume of Subways Are for Sleeping's "I Was a Shoo-in."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 02:00:09 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2004, 01:42:03 PM »

Why have I never heard of this zero bar so many of you have mentioned??

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2004, 01:57:51 PM »

Jrand:  "disconcertingly unseemly?" But I suppose no more so than "BK's nutmeats".

Jennifer, Don't worry about missing out on the Zero bar...I never understood the fascination and found it about as unappetizing as a Zagnut  bar.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2004, 01:57:57 PM »

Why have I never heard of this zero bar so many of you have mentioned??

Jennifer,

We (Toronto, anyway) get a chocolate bar called Zero. But it's entirely different from the one mentioned. The Zero we get is made in Belgium, costs not much more than an average Canadian chocolate bar, and, IMHO, is Godiva quality. Look for it.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2004, 02:11:31 PM »

DR RLP mentioning Baby Ruth reminded me that some Baby Ruths back in the old days might have a sort of funky flavor to them. I don't know if it was from spoiled peanuts used in the making of the candy or what, but occasionally, as much as I liked them, they'd taste really rancid, and I wouldn't want the rest of it. That never happened with Snickers or any other chocolate covered nut bars.

Robin

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2004, 02:20:21 PM »

My sweet tooth has become less and less prominent as I continue to age, but on the rare occasions that I do buy a candy snack, it's usually Junior Mints or a Zero bar.  

However, when I was a wee lad, I had two favorite treats.  One was the Nestle "Triple Decker" Bar.  It was shaped exactly like a Hershey bar; a flat, thin rectangle, with break-off squares.  However, it had (working from the bottom up) a layer of dark chocolate, a layer of white chocolate, and a layer of milk chocolate.  I simply adored these things, and was heartbroken when Nestle stopped making them.  

My other favorite treat was, oddly enough, something mentioned by name in a book I'd recently read entitled Kritzer Time.  It wasn't candy, it was Vernor's Ginger Ale.  Now, I've always assumed Vernor's was a local Midwest brand; I've only seen it in Upper Michigan and Wisconsin.  It's still quite popular in the UP, and once in a while, it shows up at Kowalski's Market here in Minneapolis.  (And whenever it does, I go nuts and buy a case or two.)  

Which brings me to Kritzer Time.  (Didn't you just love that segue?  I'm certainly impressed with it...)  

When I was in college, I was reading an essay on criticism by T.S. Eliot.  And in it, he used the term "felt life", which meant the quality of a work literate that makes one feel that one has actually experienced the events of the piece.  I like that term a lot, but I don't get to use it often when I'm evaluating a novel.

Kritzer Time has that quality.  It works by getting under your skin, and making you feel like you're there; when the main character hears a song or sees a film, since there's a good chance you've heard the song or have seen the movie, Benjamin's reaction to it becomes the key to unlocking the character.  It's a unique approach; I've never read anything quite like the three Kritzer novels.  And that's a very, very good thing.  

Also, the novel doesn't dwell on the negative.  It's there, and it's never very far away, but unlike so many other autobiographical or semi-autobiographical novels, the ratio of bad times to good times seems to be in proportion to real life.  And when the bad times hit, sometimes the most appropriate thing to do is to accept it (however difficult it may be!) and just move on.  How many times have I read novels that self-indulgently dwell on negativity?  Too damned many.  Kritzer Time avoids these maudlin pratfuls and delivers something infinitely more valuable.  It's something called "entertainment".  

And, like any really good work of literature, Kritzer Time leaves you wanting more.  That's entertainment value for you!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2004, 02:26:21 PM »

I just told her I was sorry, and then turned down the volume of Subways Are for Sleeping's "I Was a Shoo-in."

Well, fie on her, I say.  Nobody, but NOBODY, casts aspersions on my beloved Phyllis Newman!!  To your neighbor I say: NEVER!

Perhaps the subtle bass lines of DREAMGIRLS will entice her back upstairs, and then you can give her her whatfor!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 02:29:04 PM by Stuart »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2004, 02:49:37 PM »

DR Dan-in-Toronto, I think you should send your new neighbor a box of poisoned candy; she clearly plans to make your life miserable from now on.  

I'd forgotten about Buns!  I loved them, but I also like Baby Ruths, Reese Cups (which I swear were much larger then than now), and I loved the candies in the five-and-dime stores like Grants and Murphys:   spicey gum drops, cinnamon hearts,  peanut brittle, Hershey kisses, which my mother bought by the pound or half-pound in white paper bags.

My favorite Christmas candies were marzipan, chocoloate covered cherries, and candy canes.

Favorite movie candy:  jordan almonds
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up