Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DREAMING OF NUTMEATS  (Read 51865 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DREAMING OF NUTMEATS
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2004, 02:57:49 PM »

Thank you, Robin.  I love that T.S. Eliot quote.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2004, 03:00:11 PM »

I HATE marzipan.  I did love Three Muskateers bars as a kid, mainly because of the wrapper.  Also liked Milky Way and, to a lesser extent, Snickers.  Frozen U-No bars were aces, and I liked anything with wax - wax lips, those wax juice things, all that stuff (it's all in the Kritzer books).  My mother also had an endless supply of bridge mix around the house and I was quite partial to it.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2004, 03:05:33 PM »

You must understand that anamorphic as regards film prints is different than an anamorphically enhanced DVD, although the principal is the same.  Anamorphic film prints (scope processes) use the entire frame of 35mm film, but the image is squeezed.  A scope projector lens "unsqueezes" the image which then becomes a widescreen image.  An anamorphically enhanced DVD uses the squeeze principal, but for all ratios.  In other words, a 1:85 film will have slight bars top and bottom and a squeezed image until it's decoded for widescreen TVs, at which point the bars go away and the image fills a widescreen TV.  If it's a scope film it's the same, only the bars are bigger and remain top and bottom when unsqueezed (although not nearly as severe as a letterboxed picture on a standard 4:3 TV).  

You took the words right out of my mouth.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 03:06:18 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2004, 03:14:45 PM »

bk - I'll forgive your hating marzipan because you like Bridge Mixture.

Jane - Yes, the banana marizipan was also one of my favorites because it was so big and lasted a long time. (Let's be mature about this, gentlemen.)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2004, 03:15:32 PM »

Perhaps the subtle bass lines of DREAMGIRLS will entice her back upstairs, and then you can give her her whatfor!

Actually, I was thinking more about the subtle scent of gefilte fish, which I'll be making for Passover. Maybe a combination of Dreamgirls and gefilte? ("And I Am Smelling You.")
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 03:18:16 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Panni

« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2004, 03:16:39 PM »

I am now officially in the 21st century. Cable modem. Zip, speed, kaboom. Just watched some movie trailers on my little Mac. I may never want to actually write again. Just fooling around on the computer is much more fun.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 03:17:23 PM by Panni »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2004, 03:18:10 PM »

Hello!

I'm sorry I missed the chat last night!  I did try to make it, actually, around 10 PM, but the server on my PC wasn't working and I couldn't get online or on AIM.  This morning, it still wasn't working, so hopefully when I get home that will have changed.  (I'm at work right now).

I had some very good news today!  I got accepted into both James Madison University and their musical theatre program!  They seem to have a pretty good program; I went down to visit some friends there a few weeks ago, and their production of "Anything Goes" was very strong.  So I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like this is where I will be going!    

Anyway, I love anything chocolate: particulary Mounds, Almond Joys, Butterfingers, Hershey's Kisses, Kit Kats, Milk Duds.  I also love Smarties, Jujyfruits, Skittles, Sugar Babies...I could go on.

Charles Pogue--I like your new avatar!!

When Sweeney Todd first opened, Len Cariou was going with Glen Close, I was told.  I don't remember whether they actually got engaged or what, but my friend in the cast related that the company had an after-the-show party for them.  The centerpiece was a cake from said Erotic Bakery ornamented with candy bossoms, and the legend on the cake read "Eat Them All, 'Cause Every One's a Prize."

Wow, that I did not know.  I think Glenn Close dated Woody Harrelson for a while too.  Len Cariou=good taste.  Woody Harrelson=????

Oh, and BK, I'm seriously enjoying Kritzer Time!  I'm about half done right now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 03:19:36 PM by Maya »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2004, 03:18:39 PM »

And who had to talk to the technician from Adelphia to walk him through configuring your AOL for cable/modem?  Just who did THAT?

Robin

« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2004, 03:18:51 PM »

Just fooling around on the computer is much more fun.

Insidious, isn't it?  Just wait 'til you try iTunes.  You'll never wanna leave your chair in front of the computer.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2004, 03:22:08 PM »

Thank you, Robin.  I love that T.S. Eliot quote.

Most certainly, you're welcome!

I'm still reeling from that Vernor's Ginger Ale reference, myself.  Lordy, I love that stuff......

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2004, 03:34:21 PM »

Love Vernor's.  I was up for a Vernor's commercial once.  I don't remember much about it except that the scene was me sitting in the desert sipping on a Vernor's, while another actor crawls in the sand, all parched and dried up, and says, "I really coulda used a Vernor's".  All I had to do was react with a funny expression, something I did very well back then.  So, the guy crawls up to me, looks at me and says, "I really coulda used a Vernor's" only he pronounces it "VerNORS" with the emphasis on the second syllable.  I just cracked up and could not stop laughing.  I looked at him, took a sip of the product and said, "VerNORS???"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2004, 03:39:48 PM »

Jane - Yes, the banana marizipan was also one of my favorites because it was so big and lasted a long time. (Let's be mature about this, gentlemen.)

Sometimes a banana is just a banana, DR Panni.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Robin

« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2004, 03:44:10 PM »

Sometimes a banana is just a banana, DR Panni.

And sometimes, it's more.  

MBarnum

« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2004, 03:46:31 PM »

Today I pre-ordered the Francis the Talking Mule DVD set, the Ma and Pa Kettle Volume 2 DVD set, and the Monster Legacy DVD set (all the 1930s/40s Universal Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolf Man movies)...I will be on Universal-International overload soon! Ah, but what memories those films will bring back!

Jennifer

« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2004, 03:55:14 PM »

Jennifer,

We (Toronto, anyway) get a chocolate bar called Zero. But it's entirely different from the one mentioned. The Zero we get is made in Belgium, costs not much more than an average Canadian chocolate bar, and, IMHO, is Godiva quality. Look for it.

Well I always like to learn about new chocolate bars, so I will see if I can find this, thanks.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2004, 04:01:51 PM »

I wasn't a big candy eater as a child.  I was more of a fan of large hunks of meat.

(I was a very large child who appreciated the finer ways to weight gain!)
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Robin

« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2004, 04:05:24 PM »

My favorite movie food, which I can only get at home, is Firecracker Popcorn.  To the melted butter and salt, one "kicks it up a notch" by adding a bit of cayenne pepper.  Just a touch; it's easy to overdo it.  Dee-lish!

As for movies in the theater, from time to time I sneak in a box of Junior Mints and/or Dots.  I have an amazing tolerance for Junior Mints...I could probably (and probably have, now that I think about it) eat 'em by the pound.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 04:07:13 PM by Robin »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2004, 04:10:45 PM »

Is there anyone "else" who has spent more time in dentists' chairs than one would have liked who wishes his/her familiarity with candies during childhood had been less friendly?????

Do I ever. :P

I was good today-went to the drug store and didn't buy a single candy bar. :)

Jed

« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2004, 04:17:50 PM »

I've always been a big Butterfinger fan, myself.  Also used to have a great affinity for plain M&M's, but now much prefer peanut.  I'm a toffee hound, so I loves me a Heath bar.  Reese's cups are so very yum.  Can't turn down Milk Duds.  Or Whoppers, for that matter.  Chocolate Reisens provoke a Homer Simpson-esque drool.  I would regularly head for the little corner store across the street from my middle school for some Jolly Rancher, particularly peach or green apple.  More recently have discovered the bags of bite-size Kit Kat chunks.  Black licorice, or better yet, Callard & Bowser black licorice squares.  Frozen Snickers are faboo.

No, I've never had a cavity! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2004, 04:20:38 PM »

Actually, BK, I think Chocolate Babies is a far more "times-friendly" name than what they called them when I was growing up.

My mother also remembers them with a less friendly name.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2004, 04:28:55 PM »

Robin the Triple Decker sounds yummy.  I don’t recall it.  I did like Nestle’s Crunch & Krackel bars.

Elmore3003 do you know where you can get good cinnamon hearts today?  I like them for cookie decorating and the ones currently sold in the market are disgusting.

Maya CONGRATULATIONS!

Panni, I just liked the color & shape of the banana marzipan.  They weren’t any larger, at times they were smaller, but it didn’t matter since I never ate only one.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2004, 04:43:42 PM »

Elmore3003 do you know where you can get good cinnamon hearts today?  I like them for cookie decorating and the ones currently sold in the market are disgusting.

DR Jane,  no, I don't, but this gives me a reason to do a tour of NYC sweetshops for you and take samples!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jenny

« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2004, 05:05:32 PM »

Congratulations, Maya!

I'm in a bit of a pickle.  I've been wanting to write a play about an incident that occured this summer between two Sondheim.com members for some time now, and though the concept is there (and I have written a splendid outline), it's been very hard for me to actually write it.  My school just introduced a new playwriting course to be taught by a guest artist from Theatre For A New Audience, and for tonight's homework, we have to decide what we want to spend the year writing about and begin writing character outlines.  Though I'd very much like to work on my Sondheim.com play with the help of this teacher, I can't help but feel guilty for writing about them, especially when there is a chance of what I write being performed.  Should I just go ahead and write it without worrying?  Should I ask their permission (Which they would grant, but then they would want to read the finished product...)?  Should I temporarily abandon the idea?  If so, what should I write about?!  
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2004, 05:10:45 PM »

You should absolutely write it.  It's a PLAY, and I'm sure while you'll be BASING it on them, you'll be writing your own thing.  Many writers base their fictions on real events or people, the Kritzer books being a prime example.  It's pretty clear that it's all based on my life, but it's also fiction and I use events and people to serve the fiction.  Do it.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2004, 05:12:09 PM »

Larry let me know the results.  :) I don't like them too hot.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2004, 05:13:42 PM »

Zero Bar - I find them in a vending machine sometimes....75 cents, but I still buy one.

It was my special treasure one Halloween - THREE ZERO BARS!!!!

DR Robin very nice write up about Kritzer Time!

Hahaha...I posted about PAKEEZAH at the DVD Place!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jenny

« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2004, 05:14:17 PM »

You should absolutely write it.  It's a PLAY, and I'm sure while you'll be BASING it on them, you'll be writing your own thing.  Many writers base their fictions on real events or people, the Kritzer books being a prime example.  It's pretty clear that it's all based on my life, but it's also fiction and I use events and people to serve the fiction.  Do it.

I have BK's approval and I'm off to write!  ::Salutes::

Thanks for the advice.  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2004, 05:16:00 PM »

Yes DRJENNY - write it!  You will be surprised how different and wonderful your version of the event will be.  Your writing will enhance it and make it even more real!  WRITE IT!  The journey will amaze you, and you may even end up in an entirely different place than you imagined you would!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2004, 05:19:56 PM »

Hello all.  Though you might be getting tired of my "Good evenings".  

Gee, is it possble to gain weight from reading about all of these wonderful treats?  I know a LOT of them.

Maple Nut Goodies or anything with Maple are a favorite of mine but one I did not see was the little ice cream cones with the marshmellow tops.  They had different colors of sugar sprinkled on top.

Now don't tell anyone I told you this but do you know who gave them to me?  Well, it wasn't just anyone but a personal friend of my Dads who happened to be a fairy!  

My dad wouldn't have anything in his hand and then he would count one, two, three!  And there the ice cream cone would be!  When I asked him where it came from he said the fairy brought it.    

I bet none of you got YOUR candy from a fairy.  :)

I learned years later that my dad would drive all over Tampa to find those ice cream cones and he bought them by the boxfull so the fairy wouldn't run out.  I never see them anywhere but just thinking about them sure does bring back some good memories of my Dad.   :)   :)   :)

Bruce, I'm into Part 2 now.  Ya know, I might be temped to read a little faster if I knew there was going to be another BK book/story.  No pressure.  

« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 05:27:32 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2004, 05:32:59 PM »

The "Zero" candy bar is a non-chocolate bar filled with caramel, peanuts, almond nougat and covered with creamy white fudge.

It's totally delicious, and it's alway been my favorite candy bar to freeze in the summer for a treat.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 05:34:47 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up