Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FROLICSOME IMP  (Read 33739 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE FROLICSOME IMP
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2004, 10:44:15 AM »

My dear fellow readers, or is it my fellow Dear Readers (neither one of which is anything in internet lingo);

In my nearly one year of visiting with all of you here at HHW, I have often watched in amazement at the power of positive energy that we have been able to put forth as a group.  A sure sign of the love that exists in this place.  Although we are unfortunately not capable of relieving the pain and grief of a family who has lost their young son or daughter to some tragic circumstance, we do seem to have had a positive impact in other areas of each other’s lives.

Therefore, I am turning to all of you today for some Good Vibes.  Unlike some of our more selfless members (such as Laura II and Swishy Sarah) who are usually asking for vibes on behalf of their friends or family, this request is purely for me.

Today, I find myself in a position of complete financial meltdown.  Obviously, it isn’t something that has happened overnight, but has been developing over the past two years.  It started when I had to take four months off work, without pay, for my back surgeries, but it has certainly been compounded by some poor choices on my own part.  Over the next few weeks I am going to be making some very difficult decisions about my life and my future.  The first, and unfortunately the easiest to make, is that I will be giving up my internet service at home.

I would appreciate any and all of the good vibes you can possibly spare while I wrestle with these choices.  My biggest concern is that my two babies are safe and that they have a comfortable home.  After that, I will worry about me.

Thank you, one and all.  

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2004, 10:44:55 AM »

Lulu our Netflix experience has been very good. Netflix receives the DVD and sends same day notification that a new one has been sent out.  If the next DVD in your queue is delayed due to unavailability, which is rare, the next one in the queue is sent.  Netflix opened a new shipping location (in Seattle?) and we now receive them faster.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2004, 10:52:33 AM »

For tCB and everyone else:

GOOD

GOOD

GOOD

[size=8]GOOD[/size]

[size=10]VIBRATIONS[/size]
[/color]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2004, 10:53:47 AM »

My gosh, TCB, I don't even know what to say other then I am so sorry about your situation. I send the very best of vibes to you!!! And hope that things will soon get better for you financially.

I hope that you will be able to visit with us on HHW by some other means, perhaps through a library connection or via a friends computer. It just wouldn't be the same here without you!

Here are your vibes!

:)  :)  :)  :)   :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)   :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

I wish they could be dollar signs for good money vibes. :(

Ben

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2004, 10:54:38 AM »

BTW, I don't have any questions for the interview yet, but I will try to come up with something later today.

I saw Sixteen Wounded last night. It's a new play about a Jewish baker in Amsterdam in 1992 around the time of the peace talks between Arafat and Peres (was it Shimon Peres, I forget). He takes on a Palestinian man (early 20s I think) who has left Gaza, as an apprentice and follows their lives for the next two years. Some of the script is based on terrorist incidents that happened at the time. The story is nothing new, older, lonely (insert ethnic/religious/whatever here) man w/a quiet life meets younger (insert rebel/outcast/whatever here) person. They clash initially but bond and become friends. Romance ensues between the younger man and a woman who works at the bakery. Life happens over the two years and the play ends with a difficult, perhaps tragic inevitability. That being said (my description tends to make it sound rather tired), it is a very well done production IMHO (in my humble opinion). Judd Hirsch is excellent as the baker and Martha Plimpton as the bakery worker is very good trying to balance her love for the Palestinian against her intellectual revulsion at his actions while living in Gaza. Omar Metwally (making his Broadway debut) as Mahmoud, the radical medical student gives a dynamic performance as a man torn by culture, family (remaining in the West Bank) and love. The play is very even handed and presents no resolutions or new ideas. In fact, Kraiem, who is Jewish, writes very well for both sides of the argument. There is a sincerity and commitment to the play that make the story work for me. The audience last night was very moved and at the end moment people gasped and were crying at the resolution. The show is in previews right now and opens April 20. Ticket sales are not strong at the moment but if it opens to good reviews that may change. I recommend the show (this is not a happy show, remember that) on the strength of the performances and the good work of Eliam Kraiem, the playwright. It isn't as stunning a theatrical experience as I Am My Own Wife (which I loved and saw twice at Playwright's Horizon's before it moved to Broadway) but it's an important piece, very well done and I think it deserves to be seen.

I'm seeing Twentieth Century tonight w/Heche and Baldwin (Alec). It's been a theatrical whirlwind this week w/Pardon My English on Friday (great fun) Barbara Cook on Saturday, a focus group on the future of the Drama Department (a small off-Broadway company here in New York) on Monday and Sixteen Wounded yesterday.

I think I use too many parenthetical phrases.

Ben

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2004, 10:57:52 AM »

The best of thoughts and vibes to DR TCB. I have been in that place myself and know the many problems it can cause. I hope that things work out for you over time and I will keep you in my thoughts.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2004, 10:58:38 AM »

Good afternoon!

I would attempt to say Good Morning but since I didn't get up until an hour ago, 12:30EST... Ah, sleep!!!  It was nice.  -And, thankfully, no residual effects from the two Gin & Tonics I had last night at the reception/party.

Needless to say I'm not heading up to NYC today... Although if I catch the 3:00 train this afternoon...  Hmm...

Nah.  Instead I'm going to see William Finn's ELEGIES over at Signature Theatre.  The MD - who DR elmoore knows - was able to set aside a ticket for me.  It got a great review in the Washington Post today, and since I know almost the whole cast...  And I guess some non-EDEN music will be nice for an hour and forty minutes.

DR SWW - As for the reviewer for the Washington Post... The Post has always had issues with it's reviewers - but what paper hasn't.  The current main theatre critic, Peter Marks, may sometimes miss the mark - of course, that's totally subjective, but so is criticism - but I like his writing style, and the "extras" in his reviews provide some great background information.  At least The Post has been trying hard lately to only send the theatre critic to theatrical productions.  I've been a part of shows where they've sent the second of third string critic to the show - at the Kennedy Center!; and I've even been reviewed by the dance critic!

-Oh, and I think it was The Washington Post that fired one of their music reviewers a few years ago due to a major snafu.  The reviewer commented on the second half of the program, however, what he had failed to "realize" was that the recitalist had changed the program on the spot, so...  -The reviewer had left at intermission, so...  In the words of The Donald, "You're Fired!"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR ANN!

As for Questions...  Hmm... I'll have to think for a bit.. Still clearing the proverbial cobwebs here.

Well, I'm off to run some errands... and maybe even do some shopping! :-)
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2004, 10:59:56 AM »

TCB, when I saw the title "The Frolicsome Imp" I naturally assumed it was all about YOU.  Your contribution to this site would be missed enormously, so heartfelt vibes and marimbas, too.

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~$~~~~$~~~~$~~~~[/move]

BK - I don't think I get the Penn & Teller show on my TV, but assuming it's (therefore) on a premium channel, my question is this:

On network television, commercial success is judged by the Neilsen Ratings.  Unless I'm mistaken, there's no such thing for Showtime and HBO, so, how does everybody - executives and producers alike - know how the show is doing with the public?  You've also worked on shows that do get ratings; is there a difference in attitude?

Finally, is that Al Franken liberal radio show on the air in New York?  What's the frequency, Dan?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2004, 11:06:18 AM »

PeenyO, thanks for the kind words re: DOA.  But honestly, I have so many problems with this film.  The script was much more relentlessly fascinating and all the red herrings carefully laid and foreshadowing properly shadowed.  At the time, Michael Eisner called it the best script he had read in over a year.  But my directors (technicians masquerading as directors) did everything with a camera except tell a coherent story with it.  The well-made play I feel suffered at the hands of whiz-bang, busy visuals.  

But people seem to like it, in spite of my problems, the lovely wife tells me to just shut up and say thank you.  So once again,"Thanks."  Maybe I'm just to close to the whole thing.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2004, 11:09:12 AM »

TCB, best vibes possible to you.  You'll be missed.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2004, 11:15:15 AM »

My gosh, TCB, I don't even know what to say other then I am so sorry about your situation. I send the very best of vibes to you!!! And hope that things will soon get better for you financially.

I hope that you will be able to visit with us on HHW by some other means, perhaps through a library connection or via a friends computer. It just wouldn't be the same here without you!

I was forming similar thoughts into words.  

THE BEST OF VIBES!

AND TO A SPEEDY FINANCIAL RECOVERY!

AND LOVE TO YOUR BABIES, ANGEL & NICHOLAS![/color]

Jane

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2004, 11:18:01 AM »

The script was much more relentlessly fascinating and all the red herrings carefully laid and foreshadowing properly shadowed.  At the time, Michael Eisner called it the best script he had read in over a year.

Is there another book for me to read?

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2004, 11:26:47 AM »

DR Lulu,

I didn't start watching MST3K until around 1990 or so and even afterwards I missed a lot of episodes. I guess I just thought it would never end so I didn't worry about missing an episode here or there.

I have noticed a lot of episodes available on Ebay too. Don't know what the picture quality is so haven't purchased any yet (many have been transferred onto DVDr), but one day I might get me some that I would like to see again (or for the first time).

I really grew to like Mike. Joel is great too, and of course he is who I started with as well, but the change over didn't bother me.

Have you seen the Horror of Party Beach episode...such a classic! LOL!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2004, 11:39:19 AM »

Heartfelt good wishes and vibrations for a speedy financial recovery to you, Dear Reader TCB.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2004, 11:42:04 AM »

Most excellent vibes and xylophones (don't forget the xylophones) to TCB.  I do hope you'll find some way to join us as much as you can.  Having been caused a great deal of financial harm by certain people a while back, I totally commiserate.   Just remember: This too shall pass.

WEL: I think you've got your investors in terms of the Pulitzer submission.  What do we do next?

Emily

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2004, 11:44:33 AM »

TCB:

VIBEAGE AHOY!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(if you win the lottery tonight I think we all might seriously have to start considering patenting the secret HHW vibe formula!)

Ann:

Happy Happy Happy Birthday! (that's three times the happiness!)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 11:48:24 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2004, 11:47:20 AM »

Happy Birthday DR ANN!!

(i'm glad somebody checked the calendar).

Btw, why have I never heard of bite sized kit kats, that sounds so good!

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2004, 11:52:46 AM »

DR TCB, that is the best birthday smiley ever!

Re: jury duty

I have only been called to serve once.  But it was in the middle of a semester at university.  So I was exempt.  I think it would actually be great fun to do this.  Although after seeing RunAway Jury last week ... I might be scared. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2004, 11:56:07 AM »

Good vibes to our wonderful DR TCB ~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 11:59:07 AM by Jennifer »

Jane

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2004, 11:58:28 AM »

Btw, why have I never heard of bite sized kit kats, that sounds so good!

I like the extra fat ones.  I could go for one right now.  I think the little ones come in a bag around Halloween.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2004, 12:00:22 PM »

Maybe I misunderstood. I know the halloween ones. I thought these were smaller than that.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2004, 12:03:18 PM »

DR TCB,  What unfortunate news!  Of course you have my good vibes, and my best wishes to a speedy recovery from your tribuiations.  Stay healthy and keep up your spirits.  Best wishes always!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2004, 12:04:42 PM »

WEL: I think you've got your investors in terms of the Pulitzer submission.  What do we do next?

I think you need some application forms from the Pulitzer office.  And lots of happy vibes and good wishes!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2004, 12:08:05 PM »

Here are some birthday smilies for DR Ann:

Jane

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2004, 12:26:25 PM »

Maybe I misunderstood. I know the halloween ones. I thought these were smaller than that.

You could be right, those are the only small ones I've seen.  :)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »

TCB - The BEST of all possible vibes to you!

I join bk in saying, this too shall pass.
You will be terribly missed around here. I hope you can sign on at the library or friends' homes.
I say again, having been to some pretty dark places, and finally coming back into the light, THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

Laura II

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2004, 12:53:29 PM »

Happy birthday, Ann!!!

Only the best vibes to TCB! You never fail to put a smile on my face. I will miss you, and I hope you can come back soon!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

td

• td
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2004, 01:19:40 PM »

only the best thoughts and vibes for one of the dearest dear readers - TCB!

And those vibes from here go out to each and every dear reader on a regular basis, given freely, and straight from the heart.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2004, 01:39:32 PM »

I think that the people on this here website are the best anywhere.  

Now, how about a few more questions?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2004, 01:44:54 PM »

Happy Birthsday, Ann!! (An Eva Gabor/GREEN ACRES reference).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up