Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PASSOVER PLOTZ  (Read 46776 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE PASSOVER PLOTZ
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2004, 06:12:38 PM »

Happy Passover to all who celebrate (and even all who do not)! I'm about to shower and get ready for the Seder. I hungry!
If you think horseradish is nasty (I don't) - you should try raw horseradish - YUMMY. Clears your sinuses bigtime.
I love the Hillel Sandwich. Matzah held together by bitter herbs (raw horseradish) and Charoset. Yummers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2004, 06:22:37 PM »

Matzoh with bitter herbs and charoset - something only an insane Hungarian would love.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2004, 06:26:44 PM »

How could anyone forget "Matt Houston"?

The opening of the first show was "camera rape" at its most flagrant!  I think they modified the shot for later openings, but it was partially there....the camera dwelling on Lee Horsley's mid-section as he walked toward the camera!

At my house, we always referred to that as "the crotch shot."  During the first season, they even used that shot as the BUMPER!  So every time they went to commercial, CJ would say "Matt Houston...will be back in a moment" as the camera lovingly dwelled on Lee Horsley's nether regions.

Highly weird.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Laura II

« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2004, 06:36:38 PM »

Happy Passover to everyone who celebrates it!

BK, when I hear the word "plotz," I immediately think of "the world is gonna plotz with all this talent!"
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2004, 06:36:43 PM »

LOL
The Ten Commandments looked great last night!  Were they using a new print?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2004, 06:40:27 PM »

Welcome sixteen GUESTS.  Plotz with us, won't you?  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2004, 06:40:38 PM »

Bruce-LOL

So what happened to Lee Horsley?

Robin

« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2004, 06:42:35 PM »

The Ten Commandments looked great last night!  Were they using a new print?

I watched the deevedee.  

And I just finished watching the new Turner Classic Movies documentary of DeMille.  Fascinating stuff; DeMille may not have been the greatest director ever, but he was a great showman.  

SF writer Philip Jose Farmer once wrote a story in which God Himself realizes that He just doesn't have the panache to stage the Apocalypse by Himself, so he ressurects Cecil B. DeMille to show Him how it's done.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2004, 06:47:09 PM »

Yes, someone once wrote that that is the way the Exodus would have looked if God had had DeMille's money
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2004, 06:55:09 PM »

I never saw Beautiful Mind or the most recent winner, but for my money Titanic has got to be the worst film ever to win Best Picture.  Hysterically funny dialogue (that wasn't meant to be), terrible acting, preposterous anachronisms.  At least Chariots of Fire had them singing a Gilbert and Sullivan song!

We weren't invited to a seder, which isn't surprising.  But we had such a negative experience with a religious service a few weeks ago, I would have relished (or horse radished) the opportunity to get that bad taste out of my mouth.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2004, 07:05:59 PM »

for my money Titanic has got to be the worst film ever to win Best Picture.  

we had such a negative experience with a religious service a few weeks ago, I would have relished (or horse radished) the opportunity to get that bad taste out of my mouth.

I hate when that happens at temple.  It’s not so bad if it happens with another religious sect. ;)

I’m with you all the way on TITANIC!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 07:10:29 PM by Jane »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2004, 07:29:48 PM »

I actually watched CHARIOTS OF FIRE about a week ago.  I don't find it a particularly great picture, but I don't find it negilible either...and find it preferable to DeMille's circus epic...if only for John Gielgud and the wonderful Nigel Davenport.  And what ever happened to Alice Kirge?  My pick for best pic that year would have been Atlantic City.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 07:38:04 PM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2004, 07:36:36 PM »

Noel,  thanks!  You've made me re-appraise my worst Best Picture with your reminder.  What a bloated, badly-written piece of clap-trap is THE TITANIC.  Patooey!

But GREATEST SHOW isn't far behind...one of its many inanities...A clown (Jimmy Stewart) who always goes around in his clown make-up.  I don't care if he is a wanted criminal...seems that would throw more suspicion on him...Grow a beard, Buttons, dye your hair!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2004, 07:37:26 PM »

Hhahahahaha....I've got some 'splainin' to do!
Love the color...that rinse is exactly right for you!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2004, 07:40:33 PM »

I just read about this on cbc.ca

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/04/05/canada/mtlschool040405

What an awful way to usher in Passover with.  I am ashamed to live in the same city as the people who would do this...
And some people wonder why I limit my use of the word hate, using other words and phrases when the situation is frivolous.  Take a good look, people, this is hate.  Does horseradish elicit the same reaction?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2004, 07:43:04 PM »

Jane, the last time I saw Lee Horsley, he was starring in the SWORD & THE SORCERER with the lovely Kathleen Beller...and George Maharis!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 07:44:22 PM by Charles Pogue »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2004, 07:44:46 PM »

I just re-watched The 10 Commandments yesterday, and it really is bunk.  Entertaining bunk, I grant you, but bunk nonetheless.  And it had some terrific photography and special effects.  And some of the worst dialogue ever.  
Has anyone yet worked out why Chucky Heston, when sounding Biblical, would use a whole lot of "ye's" and "thous", as if quoting the King James?  Like the Pharoah would listen to anyone else who claimed to be God's annointed?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2004, 07:46:44 PM »

At my house, we always referred to that as "the crotch shot."  During the first season, they even used that shot as the BUMPER!  So every time they went to commercial, CJ would say "Matt Houston...will be back in a moment" as the camera lovingly dwelled on Lee Horsley's nether regions.

Highly weird.
You mean...we weren't supposed to be looking at his belt buckle?

;D ;D ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2004, 07:52:58 PM »

I actually watched CHARIOTS OF FIRE about a week ago.  I don't find it a particularly great picture, but I don't find it negilible either...and find it preferable to DeMille's circus epic...if only for John Gielgud and the wonderful Nigel Davenport.  And what ever happened to Alice Kirge?  My pick for best pic that year would have been Atlantic City.
Alice is making a career out of her turn as the Borg Queen from Star Trek: First Contact.  She's appeared in the series Star Trek: Voyager, done video games, and is now part of the Star Trek Experience, all as the same character.

You'd think she'd have picked a signature role with a better hairdo!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2004, 07:54:37 PM »

Absolutely on Atlantic City - I watched it when the DVD came out and it holds up 100% - wonderful film.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2004, 07:56:11 PM »

Chicken soup tonight.  I'm still laboring to get rid of this cold/allergy thing I've been battling.

A couple of cans of broth, a couple of breasts (diced), carrots, celery, onion, black pepper, fresh thyme, and rice.  It it doesn't get me back on my feet, at least my tongue will be happy!

By the way, I'm a horseradish lover.  My mother was, too, but my father isn't.  But horseradish does NOT belong in chicken soup.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2004, 07:57:52 PM »

This would have been our first Seder without my mom. I decided to keep it low key - perhaps just say a quiet prayer or two. Today I was working in a faraway suburb, and Gord (who grew up in a Protestant home), not feeling very well, stayed home. I got back around 6 pm, and to my utter surprise Gord had prepared all the symbolic foods for the seder plate (including charoset and hand-grated horseradish) as well as a lovely Passover dinner.

Michael

« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2004, 08:07:45 PM »

I can never eat Matzoah's balls. All I can think of some poor Matzoah that will never be able to father children.
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2004, 08:18:10 PM »

This is going to sound terrible (or wonderful, depending on your pov, I guess) but I have actually held Heston's Moses' staff in my hands...Yeah, yeah, snicker, snicker, get it all the inuenndo out...Composed yourself now?  When I worked with Heston on stage, he threw a party up at his digs in Coldwater Canyon...among his prominently displayed memorabilia is the Moses staff from TEN C.  I also touched his Oscar...and that's NOT a euphemsim for anything either! (I've also fondle Martha Raye's  special Oscar as well)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2004, 08:29:32 PM »

DR CP, have you ever held anyone's Golden Globes in your hands?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2004, 08:33:25 PM »

What I think is so funny is that perfectly good actors become dreadful actors in DeMille pictures which only leads me to believe his manner of direction and taste in acting never advanced from the silent days when a broader, more exaggerated style was acceptable.

10 COMMANDMENTS and GREATEST SHOW, for just two examples, certainly can entertain an audience, but as Best Picture material, they're laughable. I guess no more laughable than THE TOWERING INFERNO as a Best Picture nominee, however.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2004, 08:38:54 PM »

Dan the Man:  No, Golden Globes, but I've had my hands on a pair of Emmys.  I'll leave what they're a euphemism for to your own fevered imagination.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2004, 08:43:16 PM »

I just came across an interesting tidbit re our worst "best film" choices.

Two of them (The Greatest Show on Earth and Chariots of Fire) defied the conventional wisdom, winning the Best Pic Oscar while not winning for Best Director.  In 1953, that honor went to John Ford for The Quiet Man; in 1982, Warren Beatty won for Reds.

1982 was a bumper crop for the Best Pic noms: Atlantic City, On Golden Pond, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Reds.

Not so 2002, when A Beautiful Mind won.  The competition was Gosford Park, In the Bedroom, Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring, and Moulin Rouge!  (Their exclamation point, not mine.)

Opposite Titanic in 1998 were As Good as it Gets, The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, and L. A. Confidential.

And, running with TGSoE in '53 were High Noon, Ivanhoe, Moulin Rouge (without the exclamation point this time), and The Quiet Man.  (Another bumper crop year.)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2004, 08:44:17 PM »

Dan the Man:  No, Golden Globes, but I've had my hands on a pair of Emmys.  I'll leave what they're a euphemism for to your own fevered imagination.

Er, no--it's not doing anything for me.  I'm just picturing you with an Aunt Em on each arm.

I've been trying to think of a way to make Alexis Smith's Tony sound dirty, but there's nothing there, either...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2004, 08:44:40 PM »

Greatest Story was pre-widescreen.  Academy, always and forever.

I don't think it's the worst film to win Best Picture - I certainly would give that honor to Chariots of Fire, a film I really couldn't stand.

Thank you, BK, I could never stand that movie either.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up