Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 45012 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2004, 05:22:16 PM »

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=9396

Soundtrack Collector gives the two release dates for the LP

March -1968 and June 1967!

Fox Album 4193 In Like Flint was Released in 1967

Fox Album 4194 Day the Fish Came Out was Released in 1967

Fox Album 4195 Fathom was released in 1967.

VOTD was Fox Album 4196.  There is no Fox release with the album number 4197...or at least it is not a soundtrack.

All releases in 1967 began with the number 41.

All releases in 1968 began with 42....as in 4200 A Flea in Her Ear.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 05:33:51 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2004, 05:32:09 PM »

Break a leg, Maya!  

It looks as though I'm in the minority, but I love "Moulin Rouge"!  I think that it's silly fun with great music and choreography, and though the camera angles make me a little dizzy, it's beautifully directed.  More importantly, it appeals to my generation (kids brought up on MTV after MTV stopped showing music videos!) and introduces them to musicals.  I can't tell you how many of my peers loved "Moulin Rouge" so much that they saw Luhrrman's "La Boheme", which they loved, so they went and saw more musicals.  Some even saw operas!  Creating an audience for musical theatre in young people is important, and any movie that makes an effort to do that is incredibly admirable.

The much mentioned "Chorus Line" is truly awful, as are all the recent made-for-TV musicals that have aired lately.  "Annie", "The Music Man", and "Bye Bye Birdie" all have wonderful film versions already, and I see no reason to remake something that is already done well (especially when the remake is crummy).  I'm also not fond of the movie of "Hedwig And The Angry Inch".  Though I never got to see the off-Broadway production, having read the script, it seems to me that the movie isn't true to the feel of the stage version.  Though the movie is fun and entertaining, it's not very funny and it's certainly not moving.  The music also just doesn't sound good in the film version.  I just find the movie to be really disappointing.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jed

« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2004, 05:33:01 PM »

I simply refuse to see the movie version of A CHORUS LINE... just self-preservation, that is.  Same goes for A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.  I don't know from some of these bad musicals, such as LOST HORIZON and CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC, and I gather I'm all the better for it.  I have seen (unfortunately) the dreaded MAN OF LA MANCHA film... ugh.  Also not a fan at all of the HELLO, DOLLY, BRIGADOON, or ...FORUM movies.  I know I'm very much in the minority around here, but I do rather enjoy MOULIN ROUGE.  Is it a great movie?  Certainly not.  But I find it quite enjoyable for what it is.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2004, 06:09:20 PM »

Jrand, can you post that pdf file in that thread?  That would be GREAT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2004, 06:16:12 PM »

Say, whar'd everybody go?  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2004, 06:27:50 PM »

Maya, Break the proverbial.

td

• td
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2004, 06:34:42 PM »

Maya!  Minx and I are sending great vibes your way!

Break a leg, and don't lose the camisole!

TOD:
I have never seen SGT PEPPER'S. . .am I lucky?
A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC was just wrong from the word "Go," but, at least it gave us Diana Rigg's short reprise of "Every Day A Little Death."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2004, 06:42:43 PM »

I am not a member at FSM, but I will give it a shot!

I just read the interview....very nice!  And you may have commented on this before, MR BK, but did you mention the Tammy 45 incident to Ms Reynolds....and if so what was her reaction?

Robin

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2004, 06:42:56 PM »

I have never seen SGT PEPPER'S. . .am I lucky?

It depends on whether or not you have a burning desire to see Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees dancing around a gigantic hamburger, leading around George Burns.  

Personally, I think you could probably live a full, happy life without that....
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2004, 06:48:22 PM »

No, never mentioned it to Debs.  

Just register and you can post.  Pics attach the same way they do here.  The idiot just wrote me and is STILL saying it wasn't released until September - all because of the Schwann listing.  This is his MO - just because it's written somewhere he believes it and doesn't think that anything written could be in error.  I sent him your info as well as posting it, but the ad would be great - the final nail in his obnoxious coffin.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2004, 06:58:28 PM »

Hmmmmmm couldn't post the ad, but I will keep working on it. :)

Sigerson Holmes

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2004, 07:07:21 PM »

"Errant" and "truant" don't even cover it, I know.  Apologies!  See why I'm the world's oldest newbie?  Today's notes reminded me of a few of my favorite topics and questions.

Even as an admitted Lerner & Loewe fanatic it's hard to defend "The Little Prince" as the movie it turned out to be.  However, as an IDEA for a movie, and a SCORE for a movie, I'm actually quite fond of it.  Give the songs a chance!  "The Little Prince" -- ahem -- GROWS on you!

I can't remember if this has come up at HHW or not, but the long-lost demo tape of Lerner & Loewe themselves performing their "Little Prince" songs, as they intended them to sound, is now available on CD!  It's well worth hearing as a document not only of the complete, untampered-with score, but of the songwriters as well, since precious few recordings of Lerner & Loewe performing together exist.

Lerner's portrayal of all the different roles is charming, and Loewe's keyboard virtuosity is incredible, particularly for an arthritic septuagenarian.  Buy your copy NOW at www.frederickloewe.org, or www.bluedalmatian.com.  (End plug here.)

Mr. White mentioned "Goodbye Mr. Chips."  Reminds me of a question I ask now and then at various message boards.  Years ago, in ShowMusic magazine, I read about the long gestation period of the movie, during which several songwriting teams were engaged to write spec "Chips" scores, before the producer finally went with Leslie Bricusse.

The article mentioned that an LP (or was it a multi-LP set?) was put together by the producer and distributed to cast, crew & friends.  Does anyone have this set, or know what is on it?  Track listing please?

A recent Google search turned up a Petula Clark CD set called "I Love to Sing," which contains several rejected "Mr. Chips" songs by Tony Hatch and Jackie Trent ("Downtown").  --Was this material included on the legendary rejected-demos LP?

All this talk of "The Pirate" reminds me of the "Be a Clown"/"Make 'Em Laugh" incident.  The story goes that when "Singin' in the Rain" was being prepped, a Donald O'Connor acrobatic/comedy number was needed , "something along the lines of 'Be a Clown,' from that other picture."

Well, it seems Arthur Freed & Nacio Herb Brown took the suggestion literally and turned in a near-ripoff of Porter's song.  The result, of course, is the legendary number for which O'Connor will always be best remembered.

But questions remain:

What the heck were Freed & Brown thinking?

. . . And which was the better song?

. . . And what did Porter think?

To quote Hugh Fordin, "Only a man of Cole Porter's tact and distinction would have chosen to ignore the existence of that song."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 08:47:51 PM by Sigerson Holmes »
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2004, 07:14:22 PM »

Couldn't get it to work....but here it is as a JPEG....maybe DRRLP can move it on over to the FDM board.

Date in top right is March 7, 1968, and VOTD is one of the "Top Ten Albums" in the country...so it must have been out awhile!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2004, 07:16:30 PM »

DR SIGERSON HOLMES I am chomping at the bit to hear those unused CHIPS songs....

Sigerson Holmes

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2004, 07:19:18 PM »

DR SIGERSON HOLMES I am chomping at the bit to hear those unused CHIPS songs....

Which, the Tony Hatch ones?  (That Petula CD is on my rather extensive must-have list.  Need MONEY.  Need decent JOB.)

Or all those (supposed) others?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 07:20:03 PM by Sigerson Holmes »
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2004, 07:22:52 PM »

Jennifer, have you heard the rumor that Omarosa and Sam were moles?

Where did you hear that?

I don't want to spoil anything for tonight's show.  But it was reported on all the entertainment shows that some past contestants would return.

OMG what a liar that witch is!

Jennifer

« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2004, 07:25:37 PM »

Btw, DR Jenny, I also loved Moulin Rouge.  Although I was not crazy about the beginning (too much motion for me).

Btw2, did anyone watch the Bachelor last night. If you wanna know who the mole is, just ask me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2004, 07:27:19 PM »

Jrand, if you e-mail it to me as a jpeg attachment, I'll post it.

td

• td
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2004, 07:27:46 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! WELCOME BACK MR. HOLMES! ! ![/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2004, 07:59:06 PM »

Done and done MRBK!

Yes, DRSigerson....ALL OF THEM!

Laura II

« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2004, 08:00:36 PM »

Jen, I haven't watched the Apprentice yet, so no spoilers please!!! Btw, I LOVE Nick. I hope he didn't get out!

Robin, I was wondering when someone would mention the made-for-tv The Music Man. The 1982 (?) Annie? UGH ::shudder::

Related story: This summer, my boss has advertised five two-week sessions of a summer camp in which kids will learn and perform a Broadway, Jr. show. (I can't wait to see this happen. :P I don't have high hopes.) The last show of the summer is Annie, Jr.. There are already 7-10 girls signed up--no boys. We discussed the fact that my boss might have to take the male roles, so I mentioned Daddy Warbucks, Drake, Rooster...My boss said, "What about Punjab?" No joke. See!! This is just one horrible effect of that terrible movie. (I know Punjab was in the comic, just not the stage version.) He also told me, "I'd cast you in the Ann Reinking role. Can you dance it?" I replied, "Grace Farrell doesn't really dance." "Oh. So they added that 'We Got Annie' song for her?" Um, yes. So much for him knowing Broadway shows.

Break a leg, Mymy! Haha--Is that [Wauwa] really your name? ahaha that was great! :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jed

« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2004, 08:08:33 PM »

"Oh. So they added that 'We Got Annie' song for her?" Um, yes. So much for him knowing Broadway shows.

Of course, that song was indeed written for the stage version, but was subsequently "lost in Boston," only to be resurrected for the Huston movie.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2004, 08:21:06 PM »

Where did you hear that?

I don't want to spoil anything for tonight's show.  But it was reported on all the entertainment shows that some past contestants would return.

OMG what a liar that witch is!

I don't want to spoil anything either, yet.  I will say that a friend in work told me he read about the rumor on a reality show messageboard.

Hmmm...  I just read that last sentence out loud and it doesn't sound like a very reliable statement.  I might as well have added the phrase "and he heard it from his sister who is a nurse in the emergency room!"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 08:21:36 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2004, 08:27:05 PM »

I can't tell you how many of my peers loved "Moulin Rouge" so much that they saw Luhrrman's "La Boheme", which they loved, so they went and saw more musicals.  Some even saw operas!  Creating an audience for musical theatre in young people is important, and any movie that makes an effort to do that is incredibly admirable.

You make a very good point there, Jenny.  While I found sitting through Moulin Rouge! tortuous, I agree with you that if it interests a new generation in musical, it has done an admirable thing.

Welcome back, Mr. Holmes...

On Cole Porter's generosity in not suing those who'd stolen from him, Sheldon Harnick tells the story of being thrilled that Porter was considering the theft of his Begin the Beguine in Harnick's Boston Beguine, and said to the question of whether to sue: "Nah!"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2004, 08:34:15 PM »

There are already 7-10 girls signed up--no boys.

When we lived in Boulder and Dear Daughter was younger, she attended a performing arts camp for several summers in a row. They had the same problem. One year the show was GUYS AND DOLLS and Rachel played Nicely Nicely.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2004, 08:44:27 PM »

I really like OLIVER! too, even more than FUNNY GIRL which came out the same year on film.

Yes, I know XANADU is a guilty pleasure for a lot of people, but I really don't like it at all. So that's one that I don't get.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2004, 08:48:26 PM »

I got my MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS today, and it looks and sounds sensational. Never have I seen a home video version of it with that much vivid color. I noticed things I had never noticed before like the very colorful etchings around the seasons as the calendar came up to announce them, and Mrs. Smith's emerald green dressing gown with the multi-colored strips running down it. just to give two examples. Loved the rechanneled surround sound and feel so happy to have this now in such a beautiful format. Enjoyed Fricke's commentary more than on FOR ME AND MY GAL.

Poor Liza. The sharpness and clarity of DVDs do her no favors.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2004, 08:52:46 PM »

Der Brucer and I will be off tomorrow, to sit upon his grandlads.

I hope they don't squirm too much.

:o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2004, 08:57:17 PM »

Supposedly Warners has remastered their MGM KISS ME KATE (possibly in an enhanced for 1.75:1 widescreen disc?) and will be offering trade-ins for those who bought the original DVD issue last year.

Has anyone read anything more about this?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2004, 08:59:12 PM »

Have a conundrum: We're trying to post the newspaper ad from jrand's post.  He's sent it to me and I've saved it on my computer.  However, the board over at FSM doesn't work like ours - there's a place to add an attachment for a photo but there's no browse button, just a place to put in an http:// url.  Does anyone have a clue how to get the photo from my computer to their board?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up