Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: EASTER PARADE  (Read 45566 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EASTER PARADE
« on: April 11, 2004, 12:00:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've hidden your eggs, you've put on your bonnets and now it is time to post until the bunnies come home.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 12:02:21 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:EASTER PARADE
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 12:15:27 AM »

In today's notes, our esteemed BK wrote: "I read six selections from the book – however, to mention what they were would give things away to folks who are still reading or even the several who haven’t even bothered to begin reading."

Well, as Inga Swenson uses to regularly shout (from offstage) on Benson, "I Heard That!!!"

To be honest, DR WEL sort of has the right idea, that a NYC reading would be a very good idea.  I just think he's got the wrong location, and that you should have the reading in a more intimate place than B&N.  Our NYC contingent might have some ideas.  Personally, I think you would do well in a bookstore in the theater district, where your old friends and new can gather together.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 12:15:57 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 12:19:43 AM »

Dear reader elmoore is looking into the bookstore situation.  I would love to do it - the prob is there just aren't any mom and pop bookstores anymore - it's all the chains.  But, one place that elmoore mentioned was Footlight, even though it's not a bookstore.  Certainly we could fill that joint pretty easily, I just don't know how conducive it would be for a book signing, as the layout of the store is a bit weird.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 12:23:08 AM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.  Come plotz with us and put on your bunny suits.  Let's get a head start on posting.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 12:30:29 AM »

Glad to hear you had a wonderful Mexican repast, BK.  We still haven't found a worthwhile Mexican haunt here in Delaware, but we haven't been trying all that hard yet, either.

In fact, last night we found a very good place for seafood, called Catchers.  They just reopened for the season on Thursday, and some of the staff is still showing their untrained edges, but those should be smoothed over very quickly.  (Hey, learning how to open a bottle of wine takes practice!  Do you have any idea how many new waitresses der Brucer has coached on the proceedure?)

This being DelMarVa, there was plenty of good drab to be had.  The creamy crab soup (with sherry) that der Brucer had, and the spicier Maryland-style crab soup that I had were both loaded with pieces of lump meat.  The appetizer, a grilled portobello mushroom stuffed with more crab and lobster and topped with chopped yellow and red tomato, was even better than the soup!  And the fish for the entrees were no let-down, as entrees sometimes can be.  

He had a flounder almandine with a lobster cream sauce; I went for red snapper crusted with pecans in a tomato sauce.  The sides were just right, too.  Roasted garlic mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, and (to his delight) stewed tomatoes where the tomatoes hadn't stewed to a meaningless glop but still had a good, meaty texture.

We'll definately be back!

(Is anyone out there hungry yet?   ;D ;D ;D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 12:31:43 AM »

Oh, this is exciting.  This is just too too!  This is the first time that I have been awake when BK switches from one daily thread to another.  Quite the event, let me tell you.

And with that, I am off to bed!

"So 'goodnight, little girls.  Thank the lord you are well.  Now go to sleep.' said Ms. Clavel."
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 12:34:07 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.  Come plotz with us.  Come sit and I shall tell you the story of The Randy Vicar and the Dove Bar.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 12:35:34 AM »

BK: The theater bookstore on 39th (I think it was) that der Brucer and I were able to find (after almost getting lost!) might be a good idea.  They had an area upstairs that would be very good for readings, and I got the impression that they hold them there often.  That, and the people running the place seemed quite nice.

Dang, if they'd only included a bookmark I'd have the address for you right now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 12:37:52 AM »

Ask elmoore to check into it.  I would be there in a heartbeat.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 12:43:16 AM »

I believe that Woody is referring to the Drama Book Shop on west 40th.  It's a wonderful store with an incredible staff (the owner once devoted over two hours to helping me choose an appropriate one act play to direct some classmates in) and a lovely sitting area that is perfect for a reading.

http://www.dramabookshop.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?s=storeinfo

And NOW, I sleep!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004, 12:48:55 AM »

We'll stay all night and we'll sing 'em all.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004, 01:24:34 AM »

I believe that Woody is referring to the Drama Book Shop on west 40th.  It's a wonderful store with an incredible staff...and a lovely sitting area that is perfect for a reading.

http://www.dramabookshop.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?s=storeinfo
THAT"S THE ONE!  And it was Jenny who gave us the directions the first time and almost got us lost!

::) ;D ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 04:55:43 AM »

Even I have been the the Drama Bookshop!  So that must be the place!

Very happy the reading went well!  All the good vibes worked!

Today is closing Day for LOVING LUCY....on Easter...oy!  We have about half a house, so I am hoping they will be a vocal bunch....people who want to be there!  Last night's audience was VERY VERY quiet.  Hmmmmmmm....

Well DRJENNY sometimes RHS is like that....I have been to great ones and I have been to deadly ones....ya never know what you are going to get!  But the preshow does sound a bit at odds with the  RHS I know and love.

Free for all day.....  I am watching Flight of the Phoenix, a weird movie with some good people in it, and a song by Connie Francis!

RE: LOVING LUCY, to those who know and/or care.  Originally one of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Specials was written to feature Miss Bette Davis, who fell down some stairs and couldn't do the show.  Miss Tallulah Bankhead stepped in.  If you remember the episode, do you think it would have been better with Davis?  I love Bankhead in the role, although none of the specials are really special....but I keep wondering how Bette would have been.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2004, 05:02:13 AM »

HI, JRAND!  *waving*

We Heartlanders are up with the sun even on Easter Sunday, eh? ;)

DR JENNY:  Sadly, the glory days of Rocky Horror are in the past.  The beginning of the end was way back in 1990, when RHPS was released - officially - to video for its 15th anniversary (bootlegs had always floated around, but only fairly hardcore devotees had them).  Then came the laserdisc and the dvd.   Theater audiences have dwindled for the past 14 years, and the Rocky regulars have become nomadic tribes that care much less for the movie than they do the chance to spin out their own little private dramas while wearing fishnets.  The end result is the sad spectacle you witnessed last night.

A few years ago, I attempted to introduce a couple of friends to RHPS via a showing in West Palm Beach, where it's played for a number of years.  The result was much as you described.  I wound up apologizing and trying to lamely explain that years ago "it actually was fun."

If you really want to have a fun Rocky experience these days, you may just have to have a party with fellow Rocky fans and the DVD in "audience participation" mode.  Still won't approximate the old days, but it'll still be better than most of the theater showings still in existence.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2004, 05:05:14 AM »

Jrand, here's hoping that audience of yours this afternoon is filled with highly enthusiastic Lucy zealots!
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Robin

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2004, 05:30:55 AM »

One of my favorite reasons for visiting NYC is the Drama Book Store.  I spent five hours in there during one visit; I think I managed to look at pretty much every item in the place.  It would indeed be a faboo place for a reading.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2004, 05:38:33 AM »

Sadly, the glory days of Rocky Horror are in the past.  The beginning of the end was way back in 1990, when RHPS was released - officially - to video for its 15th anniversary (bootlegs had always floated around, but only fairly hardcore devotees had them).

It's really amazing just how important audience part-ti-ci-pay-shun is to the success of Rocky Horror.  When I first saw the movie, it was at the local University Film Society, andwas before the cult audience had discovered it.  I liked the co-feature, Phantom of the Paradise, a lot more.  

The audience really was the reason for the success of the movie.  Now that it's on home video, the only realy way to replicate the experiece is to see it done live.  It was done here in Minneapolis last year, and was an utter delight; sold out for its' entire run.  And we could only get tickets for a single night, but oh, what a night that night was....!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2004, 06:07:50 AM »

Good morning. I made scones for the Easter breakfast today. I have never made scones before, so I don't know if they turned out right or not -- but they sure smell good!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2004, 06:09:23 AM »

I can also suggest Applause Bookstore

211 West 71st St. (On the North side of West 71st St., WEA - BWY/AMS)  

Phone: 212-595-4735
Fax: 721-2856

http://www.applausepub.com/
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2004, 06:30:48 AM »

Never saw you look quite so pretty before.
Never saw you dressed quite so lovely, what's more.
I could hardly wait to keep our date this lovely Easter morning,
And my heart beat fast as I came through the door for:

(and most of you know the rest)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2004, 06:35:52 AM »

BTW a  rotogravure is an intaglio printing process in which letters and pictures are transferred from an etched copper cylinder to a web of paper, plastic, or similar material in a rotary press.
Never stop dreaming.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2004, 07:05:45 AM »

JOHNNY GUITAR has a book that is very faithful to the film except that the film is camp and funny by accident whereas the musical is camp and funny on purpose.  It also has a score that is enjoyable Broadway-style C&W.  The problem is that they go together like oil and water.  You don’t do serious plot songs with a camp book.  It’s like the book writer and the song writers were working on two different shows.  Still it’s a pleasant way to pass an evening.

There must be some problems backstage though or some serious bug going around as three members of the cast of eight were out on a Saturday night less than a month after opening night.  Fortunately the understudies were good and well enough rehearsed so that if it weren’t for the sign in the lobby and the slip in the program I would not have known.

All in all it’s a nice try that could have been better but is still fun.  

Re: NY Bookstores:  Neither Drama Book Shop nor Applause sell fiction which is why I didn't mention them.  Also, B&N gives a lot of publicity to their readings including ads in the NYTimes,  so non-DRs or lurkers who do know of BK would have a better chance of finding out about the reading.  Footlights is so tiny and crowded that I don't know how much room they would have for the crowds of people this reading would attract.  Also, whereever you have it, please make it an evening or weekend since most people work 9 to 5 jobs.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2004, 07:13:42 AM »

Happy Easter everyone!

The Drama Book Shop was also the first place I thought of.  But DR WEL has a good point.  They really do only sell a certain type of book.  Although it certainly cannot hurt to inquire about it (especially since many of their clientele would be familiar with BK).

My gosh, I am so sleepy today.

td

• td
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2004, 07:14:08 AM »

Dear reader elmoore is looking into the bookstore situation.  I would love to do it - the prob is there just aren't any mom and pop bookstores anymore - it's all the chains.  But, one place that elmoore mentioned was Footlight, even though it's not a bookstore.  Certainly we could fill that joint pretty easily, I just don't know how conducive it would be for a book signing, as the layout of the store is a bit weird.

Well, you want Mom & Pop?  (This one is actually Pop).  Jay's Bookstall is a Pittsburgh institution where Benjamin K and Bruce K would fit in perfectly. . .
http://www.angelfire.com/on2/jaysbookstall/
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2004, 08:30:47 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY EASTER![/move]   

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2004, 08:45:26 AM »

For those who don't know, the new anamorphic remastered DVD of PILLOW TALK is not getting rave reviews anywhere on the net as the image seems to have been overmatted or zoomed in spots. Those of you who have this new version of this classic romantic comedy might want to view and comment.

Thanks to DR td for pointing the complaints about the new PILLOW TALK out to me.

And DR RLP, beware!  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 08:46:49 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2004, 08:47:48 AM »

Thanks to DR td for pointing the complaints about the new PILLOW TALK out to me.

Always glad to help a friend and neighbor.   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2004, 08:49:06 AM »

Hi DRLULU....thanks!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2004, 09:10:41 AM »

I want page two!

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2004, 09:13:33 AM »

But I'm here all alone. :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up