Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T FORGET  (Read 58512 times)

Ben

Re:DON'T FORGET
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2004, 12:46:20 PM »

Number 60 (feel better Jose! you beat me to number 59)

Ben

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2004, 12:47:00 PM »

Now all we need is 30 more to get to page 4

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2004, 12:49:16 PM »

Penny your Seder sounds like one you will always remember as special.

Lulu LOL regarding the jellyfish story.

JMK how is Gabe’s arm?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2004, 12:50:43 PM »

Ah, the French!  Now, are we talking about Classic, Provincial, or Nouvelle?

Because Nouvelle went passe real fast, although it did give a kick in the pants to what is now called Contemporary.  I like contemporary, when the chef has some idea of what he/she is doing.

Classic French, with it's emphasis on sauces and presentation, can be heavy, I admit.  I find the hauteur of the staff at classic French restaurants the real turn-off, the deservedly ridiculed snobbery that keeps the diner at arm's length.

Provincial cooking, on the other hand, can be delightful.  Coq au Vin is a good example, with the veggies blended in the bird's own juices, and the defiance of standard rules that red wine brings to the dish.  Steak Frites, with a herbed butter on the perfectly grilled cow, is bistro cooking at it's best.  And an omelette, done right, is simple good food that makes any occasion special.

I don't much think about food as being "exotic" any more.  All I care about is whether I enjoy it or not.

As for duck, one of the best dinners I've had in the past year was on der Brucer's birthday, at La Vie en Rose in Brea, northern Orange County.  The duck breast was still rosy and almost rare; it was served alongside the leg, done as a confit, but for once not overbearingly salty.  Simple potatoes and veggies alongside, and I was happy as a goose!

And Crepes Suzette for dessert, tangy and sweet.

!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2004, 12:53:14 PM »

We should know by tomorrow whether or not I'm back among the gainfully employed.  Or on Wednesday, at the latest.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2004, 12:53:38 PM »

Jose, may the vibes and the antibiotics make you feel better soon!

Der Brucer, I want a full report and review of ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE after you have watched it!

JRand53 how was the closing show?

RLP, Chittlins are actually quite tasty when they are freshly cooked and served. I don't know from Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2004, 12:58:30 PM »

GOOD VIBES TO JOSE FOR A QUICK RECOVERY

AND TO SWW  TO JOINING THE RANKS OF THE GAINFULLY EMPLYED.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2004, 01:01:31 PM »

Panni your exotic foods are the most interesting of all.  I remember when German, Hungarian, & Russian foods, along with Indian & Thai, both of which I love, were considered exotic. Non Jewish friends thought what we ate exotic foods.

I also enjoy Ethiopian food and am game to try almost anything, as long as it’s vegetarian.  

Most exotic foods, hmmm...   Growing up, at least once a month we had fried rabbit.  At the time I didn’t think it was unusual.  Keith, with horror, swears he never had any but he did since we had long before learned to tell friends it was chicken.  I got drunk once in order to taste snails.  I wasn’t drunk enough nor could I ever be.  ;D My mother would eat anything and a favorite of hers was brains.  One day, while I was screaming, she forced some down me.  Since the spoon she used had dog food on it, I guess that makes two exotic foods I tasted at once.  I did escape tasting the frog’s legs.  Years ago I enjoyed Armenian food with an Armenian co-worker but we ate mostly lamb dishes.  God I’m grossing myself out.  :P I want my tofu.

A favorite French food we often had at home, and my favorite, was Duck a la Orange.  Now it is just a good napoleon, which is difficult to find for my fussy palate.  I also like Madelines, but not the ones from Starbucks.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2004, 01:40:33 PM »

I've spent a rainy afternoon here watching THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG. This is the old release by Fox Lorber that isn't anamorphic. Still looks and sounds lovely.

Does the new issue of this film have any trouble handling that striped wallpaper in Genevieve's apartment?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2004, 01:40:52 PM »

Thanks for asking, MBARNUM.  We had a 3/4's of a house and the audience enjoyed the show very much.  Carried home all of my Lucille Ball stuff in several shopping bags and said Goodbye!

Seems we just get started and before you know it.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2004, 01:48:55 PM »

It was when I first moved to New Jersey, from So. California, in the late seventies. :o

I would have thought it would have been the other way around.  I had never had Mexican food until I visited Southern California in the late 70s... not even Taco Bell, let alone good Mexican food.  Now you can get it all over, but back then it was pretty much confined to Southern California.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2004, 02:04:52 PM »

I meant it was exotic in New Jersey, a shock to us moving from So. California.  Another shock were the avocados from Florida which tasted strange.  We made guacamole for company & couldn't eat it ourselves.  The company, not knowing any better, enjoyed it very much. ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 02:06:44 PM by Jane »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2004, 02:11:11 PM »

Food will be considered exotic if it is unfamiliar.  And what's familar to some can be quite unfamiliar (and/or unappetizing) to others.  

Boiled chicken feet, for example, was a staple in our household when I was growing up, as it would have been incomprehensible to make chicken soup for Shabbos or a Jewish holiday without them.  Most people would consider boiled chicken feet rather exotic.  (And/or unappetizing.)

Ham chunks, for another example, would have been very exotic (and not exactly welcome) in our kosher household.

They say (whoever "they" may be) that it was a brave individual indeed who first ate a tomato.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2004, 02:12:28 PM »

Jane, I guess "exotic" is in the eye of the beholder. I used to eat brains all the time when I was a kid. Didn't consider it anything special. Jello, on the other hand...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2004, 02:12:35 PM »

MattH: The Fox Lorber Umbrellas is a joke.  You must get the new one.  The old DVD is mis-framed at 1:66 which severely cuts off a ton of side information (just look at the credits).  The new DVD is almost properly framed and very sharp - a much-needed improvement, especially if you have a widescreen TV.  It's still not perfectly framed (a bit of the sides are still missing, although all the credits can be seen now).  The only perfectly-framed DVD is the OOP French (there is a copy up on eBay now).  But, in lieu of that, get the new Koch Lorber DVD.

Robin

« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2004, 02:14:33 PM »

My exotic food story:

The first time I ever went into a Greek restaurant was when I was living in Washington, DC.  Can't remember the name of the place, but they served a menu option called "taverna", which was lots of samples of many of the dishes on their menu.  The small plates came, and there were many savory treat upon them.  

One of the plates I found especially delicious, and I gobbled up the entire plate, noticing that Kim and Chistian didn't go near it.  I had no clue what it was, and asked them.  They told me that I didn't want to know what I'd just eaten and enjoyed.  A few days later, the did tell me what it was that I'd eaten.  And they were right.  I didn't wanna know.  

My big weakness is for spicy food.  I simply adore spicy food.  Unfortunately, I've eaten far too much spicy food in my lifetime, and I get indigestion pertnear every time I indulge myself.  

And if you've never tasted Finnish food, well, you're not missing much.  A blander palate has never been concocted.  The rare dish that isn't blander that beige is so salty it's like a sip of seawater.  There's a reason you don't see many Finnish restaurants out there, people.  (Though I quite like Rhubarb pudding and Krupkraker.)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2004, 02:15:24 PM »

Can you imagine the olfactory sensations when tomatoes were introduced to the European explorers?

There is nothing more scrumptious than the smell of a ripe tomato on the vine in the summer heat!  To pluck one from a vine and bite into it is as close to a heavenly experience as I've ever enjoyed!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 02:15:49 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2004, 02:16:37 PM »

I should have something "exotic" for lunch - boiled chicken feet with calves' brains and banana jello for dessert.
 :P  Yummy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2004, 02:17:52 PM »

Well come on, Robin.

Tell us what was on that plate!!!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2004, 02:19:51 PM »

One exotic treat I passed on was in the Philippines.

I resolutely refused to eat a balut.

Baluts are gross personified.  I promise you will get a hit if you google it.  Look it up.  I won't disgust myself further by trying to explain it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2004, 02:22:34 PM »

I had an exotic Subway Club for lunch.  I got some exotic writing done.  And I also got an exotic The Last of Sheila DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2004, 02:23:57 PM »

Welcome seventeen GUESTS!  Come have some exotic fun with us.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2004, 02:32:32 PM »

I mention seventeen GUESTS and four of them are gone with the wind, along with one user.  We've got two people who have been replying to a post for the last ten minutes.  BIG BK IS WATCHING YOU

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2004, 02:33:55 PM »

Two more GUESTS gone with the wind, two more users have joined them.  Fascinating.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2004, 02:35:15 PM »

And two users are STILL replying to posts.  I must try taking fifteen minutes to write a post.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2004, 02:35:40 PM »

In the meantime, I'm happy to continue doing my monologue.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2004, 02:36:31 PM »

Baluts-oh gross!

Keith still won’t tell me many of the foods he felt forced to eat while traveling for business.  I do know of the pig’s head that was placed next to him, as the guest of honor, in Russia.  I believe it was during that trip he was never so happy to eat in a Pizza Hut.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2004, 02:36:49 PM »

We have gone from seventeen GUESTS to eight GUESTS in the blink of an eye.  We have gone from eleven USERS to six USERS in the blink of an eye.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2004, 02:38:25 PM »

GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO JOSE!

Thank you for all of the good vibes that you have all sent my way.  Having such a strong support group of friends, here at HHW, makes it easier to face the world each day.  It is still a little soon to know if these last ditch efforts of mine are going to pay off, but if anything is going to swing things to the plus side, I am sure it will be all of the vibes that you have sent to me.

Exotic Food:  Are you kidding?  We, Norwegians, eat Lutefisk, for God’s sake, which is not only exotic, but disgusting.  In Ballard, just North of Seattle, they have a whole Lutefisk festival complete with Lutefisk-eating contests and lutefisk pizza.  The worst part of this little delicacy is not the taste, but rather the smell and the rather gray rubbery look of the dish.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2004, 02:38:28 PM »

One user is STILL replying to a post, and the other user who was replying to a post and then previewing the reply never posted.  Cue Twilight Zone theme.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up