Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TUESDAY THE 13th  (Read 49428 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TUESDAY THE 13th
« on: April 13, 2004, 12:00:50 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know their deep meaning, you know their ins and outs and also their outs and ins and now it is time to post until the Jasons come home.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 12:01:05 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TUESDAY THE 13th
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 12:08:39 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.

Jed

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 12:13:45 AM »

From the notes...
There’s also an anomaly from when I first saw it – in the preview print (I really can’t remember the subsequent times I saw it when it came out – but I think it was there, too) you could clearly hear Anyone Can Whistle being played on the piano in the opening party scene. It’s totally gone now.

Odd.  I've only seen the VHS of the movie, but the Anyone Can Whistle bit was most certainly present in that format.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 12:35:57 AM »

Oh, a wonderful topic and because I am in the deadliest part of my script deadline, I do not  have as much time to devote to it as I would like...I can talk mysteries for days...

Favourite film mysteries:

THE THIN MAN
THE MALTESE FALCON
OUT OF THE PAST
FAREWELL MY LOVELY
MURDER, MY SWEET
HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (my own adaptation, Ian Richardson, 1983)
THE BIG SLEEP
LOVE LETTERS
LAURA
SLEUTH
THE UNINVITED
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
GREEN FOR DANGER

Fiction

SHERLOCK HOLMES by Conan Doyle
THE HIGH WINDOW by Raymond Chandler
THE NIGHT OF THE JABBERWOCK by Fedric Brown
THE FAR CRY by Fredric Brown
THE DAIN CURSE by Dashiell Hammett
RED HARVEST by Dashiell Hammett
FINAL NOTICE by Johnathan Valin
THE LIME PIT by Johnathan Valin
RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK by Cornell Woolwich
DAUGHTER OF TIME by Josephine Tey
BEAU GESTE by P.C. Wren

Mystery books series

Harry Stoner by Johnathan Valin
Ed & Am Hunter by Fredric Brown
Paul Pine by Howard Browne (John Evans)
Phillip Marlowe by Raymond Chandler
Elvis Cole by Robert Crais
Marcus Didius Falco by Lindsey Davis
Tobey Peters by Stuart Kaminksy
Philo Vance by S.S. Van Dine
Fu Manchu by Sax Rohmer
Sherlock, of course by Conan Doyle

Plays

SLEUTH
ANGEL STREET
CRUCIFER OF BLOOD
THE EBONY APE (my Sherlock Holmes Mystery-play)

This will have to do for the nonce...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 12:37:28 AM by Charles Pogue »

Michael

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 03:32:03 AM »

THE BIG SLEEP (such a myustery that even the author doesn't know who killed someone)
THE MALTESE FALCOn
HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (Peter Cushing never saw Ian Richardson)
LAURA
MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
SLEUTH

Plays
THE MOUSETRAP
DEATHRAP (Really a thriller)
Never stop dreaming.

Dave in the valley

• Petey says "Hello from Hollywood!"
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 04:11:49 AM »

Mysteries?
   Movie- old school; - any of the pre-Hollywood black and white Hitchcock films like "The 39 Steps" or "Young and Innocent" or "The Lady Vanishes". Modern school; I love "Blue Velvet".
    Books - I used to read a corny series of books when I was growing up called "the Happy Hollisters" - kind of a cross between Scooby Doo (minus Scooby) and the Brady Bunch. And I liked Asimov's "Robots of Dawn".
     TV - again I must invoke "The Night Stalker".

Dave

Dave in the Valley

William E. Lurie

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 06:21:14 AM »

The late multi-talented Steve Allen wrote a wonderful series of mystery books over the years in which he and his wife Jayne Meadows Allen kept getting involved in solving murders and other crimes.  These books mixed real life celebrities (who were never the victims or murderers) and real locations with fictional characters and were very entertaining.  There were at least 8 or 9  paperback originals, and they may still be in print.

On television I liked "Murder She Wrote" initially, but I stopped watching for two reasons.  First of all the longer it ran, the more it became "The Love Boat" of mysteries with too many second or third class guest stars.  And secondly, thanks to long football games  or other sporting events, I never knew what time it would be starting each week.  Still Angela always made it worth watching, even when her performance was superior to the scripts (which was most of the time).

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 06:47:18 AM »

TOD:

"What are your favorite mysteries, both book, television and film?"

Fortunately Dr. Sinister (DR Pogue) saved the day by including plays, echoed by DR Shayne.

Favorite mystery plays include:

Witness for the Prosecution
Sleuth
Dial "M" for Murder
Wait Unitil Dark
Death Trap

Favorite mystery novel: "Black Mountain" -Rex Stout

And let's not forget TV sans tube, Radio:

Sorry Wrong Number

derBrucer (who used to consider "Crucifer of Blood" a guilty pleasure, but now DR Pogue has vindicated my taste)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 02:51:42 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 06:52:04 AM »

Wow--this site sure is sluggish this morning.  Good thing I'm a patient man  ::)

DR Pogue--Nik-Nik shirts were 100% rayon shirts from the early 70s.  They felt like stretchy silk and were very eye-catching with their bold bright colorful prints.  Unfortunately, they tended to retained odors and were highly susceptible to cigarette burns.  They fetch a lot of buck today on eBay.

Great TOD.  I love a good mystery.  My favs:

Books:
Christie:
Hall'ween Party (US title--called something else in Britian.  My first Agatha Christie mystery that I read in 7th grade)
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (was this ever filmed?)
Murder on the Orient Express
The Mysterious Affair at Styles

Ngaio Marsh:
Vintage Murder
Opening Night

Hammett:
The Glass Key
The Dain Curse

Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler
A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
Shroud for a Nightingale by P.D. James
The Judge and His Hangman by Friedrich Duerrenmatt

Movies:
Murder on the Orient Express
Death on the Nile
Murder, She Said
Murder at the Gallop
The Big Sleep
Rebecca
Witness for the Prosecution
Sleuth

Plays:
Deathtrap
Crucifer of Blood
(Thanks to DR Pogue for reminding me of this one.)

There is a play I read years ago by Anthony Shaeffer called Murderers which was damn funny but I've never heard of it being produced in the USA.  has anyone ever seen a production done over here?

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 07:37:27 AM »

Movie mysteries:
MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM (1944)
THE CAT CREEPS (1946)
THE PENGUIN POOL MURDER
AND THEN THERE WERE NONE
GUMNAAM

books:
THE CAT WHO ATE DANISH (and several others in that series)
STAIRWAY TO AN EMPTY ROOM by Dolores Hitchens

TV:
PERRY MASON

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 08:00:05 AM »

Well, I've said it so much I'm starting to sound like an echo of myself, but for TV mystery series, my favorite is and always will be ELLERY QUEEN with Jim Hutton. A&E ran these for a long time, and I was never smart enough to videotape them. They'll come around again sometime, and I'll get them.

As for favorite TV-filmed mystery: NEMESIS with Joan Hickson

My favorite movie mystery isn't the best ever done (I think that's THE MALTESE FALCON) but for me is the campiest and most entertaining: EVIL UNDER THE SUN.

Others I love besides those two:

MURDER MY SWEET
AND THEN THERE WERE NONE
MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS
L. A. CONFIDENTIAL
CHINATOWN

Mystery books:

My favorite Christie isn't very well known  - TOWARD ZERO, but it's an interesting mystery with a man about to commit suicide as the main character. I also love THE ABC MURDERS and A CARIBBEAN MYSTERY.

I could never get into the Dorothy Sayers mysteries though I enjoyed the BBC renditions of the Lord Peter Whimsey stories with the fabulous Ian Carmichael.

Not a great fan of Marsh or P.D. James either, though both are fine writers.

I have read every one of the Sue Grafton alaphabet series and think B is the best mystery and M the most affecting. I cried after I finished it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 08:28:01 AM »

Well, I have been errant and truant (E and T) which is a mystery in itself.   But here I am, and I Love A Mystery!
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 08:36:38 AM »

It has been raining all morning here and is as dreary and cold as can be for April.

I shouldn't complain; we need the rain. But it's forcing me to go to my storage room upstairs and start cleaning, rearranging, and throwing out stuff.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 08:37:40 AM »

There is a play I read years ago by Anthony Shaeffer called Murderers which was damn funny but I've never heard of it being produced in the USA.  has anyone ever seen a production done over here?

How prescient!  MURDERER (I don't believe it is pluralized)will be performed by the Department of Theatre at SUNY Brockport next spring.

I am the Arts Events Manager at this institution of higher learning, and am preparing the season brochure as we speak.....  Perhaps an HHW Group Sale is in the offing?

Though I enjoy mysteries, I've never actively seeked them out.  In the realm of film, I would have to agree with some of the greater b/w Hitchcock's, but also the all-star Agatha Christie's (in addition to Murder on the Orient Express, don't forget Death on the Nile and Evil Under the Sun).

On TV, I was a fan of the 70s version of ELLERY QUEEN with Jim Hutton and David Wayne.

I remember seeing CRUCIFER OF BLOOD onstage, but all I remember is Glenn Close, Paxton Whitefish and the boat chase.  And, of course, the late lamented ORIGINAL Helen Hayes Theatre.

Fiction-wise, all I can contribute is being a fan of Encyclopaedia Brown.  And wait....there was this series of books...all set in P-town...they all had titles that were colors.....COBALT was one.  SCARLET was another  (Or was it Vermillion? (And was he Castilian?  Was he named Lillian? ...I digress.....)) At any rate, it featured a gay private dick - no comments, please - and I want to say the author's name was Alldyne, or something.  I am sure they were ghost written by someone, but that is the name i seem to remember.  They were fun.

Surely someone out there was a Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew fan, either on the page or on TV?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 08:39:51 AM »

my favorite is and always will be ELLERY QUEEN with Jim Hutton. ..... but for me is the campiest and most entertaining: EVIL UNDER THE SUN.

Sorry, DR MattH, I posted before I finished reading.  Iwas just so excited that someone else had heard of MURDERER!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 08:48:08 AM »

The opening scene of Murderer (or is it the opening act) is quite gruesome if I recall.  QUITE gruesome.

A big yes to Witness for the Prosecution and Dial M For Murder.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 08:52:24 AM »

Nice to see we have such GREAT taste in mysteries!

And just like the other day when we were discussing 70s movies that were favorites, I left out SLEUTH and I did it again!

I love SLEUTH on stage and on film. The fact that director Mankiewicz keeps cutting to various objects in the room (the Edgar Award, Jolly Jack, etc.) as if they were watching the goings on between the characters makes THEM players in the games. Brilliant.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 08:57:09 AM »

Favorite mystery: Something's Afoot.

Kerry, are you still going to see the Sisters Callaway?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2004, 09:09:49 AM »

The opening scene of Murderer (or is it the opening act) is quite gruesome if I recall.  QUITE gruesome.

But also hideously funny.  I could see John Cleese in the lead.

DR Stuart, when I was in college I campaigned my ass off to get our drama department to do this play.  It was eventually nixed by the lead designer as being way too difficult (we did Deathtrap instead.)  When you say it's being done at SUNY next spring, I guess you mean in 2005?

Does everyone recall what Crucifer of Blood touted as it's top attraction?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 09:14:17 AM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?  It must be Tuesday the 13th.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 09:18:36 AM »

It has been raining all morning here and is as dreary and cold as can be for April.

I shouldn't complain; we need the rain. But it's forcing me to go to my storage room upstairs and start cleaning, rearranging, and throwing out stuff.

DR MattH, doesn't this weather just blow!  I was having Spring Fever last week and now I feel like getting back into my winter cocoon.  The magnolia trees around my building blossomed last week but now the rain is washing off their petels.  Feh!  This weather makes me feel like a moody teen-ager!
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004, 09:20:35 AM »

When you say it's being done at SUNY next spring, I guess you mean in 2005?

Does everyone recall what Crucifer of Blood touted as it's top attraction?

DR DTM, yes, next spring....precisely one year from now.  April 22, 23, 24 and 29, 30 and May 1 of aught-five.  (As hard as I tried, I couldn't get them to move that opening weekend.  Passover seders are not quite the cutural phenomenon here in Brockport as they are in my homeland of Brooklyn.)

Shall I book you a pair of seats for the second weekend now?   ;)

As I recall, the Broadway production of CRUCIFER indeed touted its physical production (including the afore-mentioned boat chase finale) as its "headliner," but as I recall, John Wood was above the title.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2004, 09:27:40 AM »

Shall I book you a pair of seats for the second weekend now?   ;)

Yes, but not in the front row (unless you will be handing out plastic ponchos as they do at Gallagher performances.)

As I recall, the Broadway production of CRUCIFER indeed touted its physical production (including the afore-mentioned boat chase finale) as its "headliner," but as I recall, John Wood was above the title.

Paxton Whitehead originally played Holmes.  But you're getting warm with what the show's main "attraction" was.

-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2004, 09:32:05 AM »

I am here and I am hungry.  I'm curious when do most people here (who celebrate Passover) finish?  We've always ended today at lunch.  So while I won't eat bread (since I rarely do), I will perhaps eat something non-Passover like.

Btw, not happy about American Idol being moved to tomorrow.  I wonder if there is any chance at all that the Canadian affiliate would show it today. Probably not.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2004, 09:33:26 AM »

Yes, but not in the front row (unless you will be handing out plastic ponchos as they do at Gallagher performances.)Paxton Whitehead originally played Holmes.  But you're getting warm with what the show's main "attraction" was.

LOL, re: MURDERER seats.

Now, getting back to CRUCIFER, I am indeed confusing it with SHERLOCK HOLMES, in which I do believe John Wood played the sleuth.  You are absolutely correct about Paxton Whitefish, as I had mentioned him in my earlier post.

But you are baiting me with your knowledge of the main "attraction."  Did I possibly block out someone nekkid from my mind?  But wait!  I seem to recall a bit of homo-eroticism in the plot as well.....though it's as foggy to me as the set was in the final act.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2004, 09:34:45 AM »

I have seen/read perhaps four or five mysteries in my whole life (not really my genre), although I first read the complete Sherlock Holmes when I was about 10 and have read it several times since then.  Can't get enough Sherlock.  When I was a sprig of a twig of a lass, I had a fondness for Encyclopedia Brown ("How do I know you're lying?  Because there is no 31st of September!").

So I'm back at a temp job where I have nothing to do (at the moment) and nobody staring over my shoulder, so I actually have time to post!  Whooopeeee!!!  Hi, Everyone!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2004, 09:35:49 AM »

I am here and I am hungry.  I'm curious when do most people here (who celebrate Passover) finish?  We've always ended today at lunch.  So while I won't eat bread (since I rarely do), I will perhaps eat something non-Passover like.

I usually eat dinner late, though now that we have changed the clocks, it won't quite be after sunset here in Western NY.  But yes, chometz will be eaten for dinner tonight.  And not a minute too soon.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2004, 09:38:06 AM »

Jennifer, Re: AI -- I'm actually glad it's moved to tomorrow, because then I can actually watch it!  I am just sick, sick sick that John and Jon are still on there.  Did the rest of the country see the performances I saw?  What is WRONG with people?
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2004, 09:38:11 AM »

Welcome back, Dear Reader Joy!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2004, 09:38:44 AM »

Nice to see you again, Joy!  We miss people when they're gone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up