Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BETTER FOR IT  (Read 49156 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE BETTER FOR IT
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2004, 03:26:36 PM »

By the way DR Joy here are your 42nd Street vibes and your vibes for the other play too!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  8)[/move]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 03:26:57 PM by MBarnum »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2004, 03:26:54 PM »

SWW, tell DerBrucer to feel better and you stay well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2004, 03:27:46 PM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.  Come on in and ask some questions.

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2004, 03:28:43 PM »

I am certainly in full agreement with you on the commercials DR CP! They seem almost endless sometimes!!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2004, 03:32:36 PM »

Vibe time:

Welcome back, and good news, TCB!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And break a leg, DR Joy, but remember, no matter what they tell you, the women don't take it all of in the Full Monty, that's the men's job this time!

;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2004, 03:39:51 PM »

This is definately soup weather, at least here in Delaware.

Now, do I just open a can, or do I try to improvise something on my own?

Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches sounds good.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2004, 03:45:02 PM »

I watched a very strange documentary (actually the first part of a multi-part documentary) on Bravo last night about real life Mama Roses (and one Papa Rose)... stage parents.  <SNIP>

The most bizarre story is about a man named Duncan Nutter.  This man has decided that his family will all be big stars so he moved from a big house in Vermont to a tiny apartment in Queens and spends most of his time going to auditions with his wife and seven children, none of whom have any talent or interest.  His wife is a teacher and he tears tickets at THE PRODUCERS.  He also comes off as gay as any of the Queer Eye stars.

I watched this also and it was like watching a car wreck and you couldn't look away!  My gaydar was going off full blast watching Duncan and his story.  I kept thinking that guy has seven kids...and a wife??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Robin

« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2004, 04:02:15 PM »

I watched a very strange documentary (actually the first part of a multi-part documentary) on Bravo last night about real life Mama Roses (and one Papa Rose)... stage parents.

Ask BK day:  How about a "favorite documentaries" topic of the day at HHW???

Another BK question: Have you ever gone through the all the work of producing, arranging and recording a track for one of your CDs and it just didn't fit on the album, for whatever reason?  Are there BK-produced "basement tapes", so to speak?
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2004, 04:07:22 PM »

Man!  This has been a great day, all things considered!

It's been my "Friday" as I'm treating myself to the next two days off for a four-day weekend.

As is normally the case, every time I'm supposed to have a day or two off, folks start throwing stuff at me that MUST be finished before I go.

Today, I've been making 'em sit and work with me to finish their projects (board of supervisors letters, nominations for performance awards, that sort of thing).

No flies on me...not today...nosiree!

TCB:  I join my forum members in congratulating you on your "reprieve" and the great news that your life will be getting back to normal.  I know you're relieved!

I visited the "Community" section of the AI site and read what MattH shared about the song selections.  There is apparently one HUGE surprise in the competition tonight, but it probably won't do anything other than make it more difficult for folks to point at someone and say, "Well he/she is next!"  

Looking forward to it, I am.  I may even watch with a strawberry daiquiri in hand!  Haven't decided if I want to treat myself to one or not.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2004, 04:13:26 PM »

Robin: There are less than a handful of tracks that didn't make various albums.  There's one on the Guy Haines album -Here's that Rainy Day, which I just wasn't happy enough with, both arrangement-wise and vocal-wise - it was replaced with the simple and much more effective You Must Believe in Spring (done in one live take).  There was a track on Paige O'Hara's Jerry Herman album which didn't work (Dancing).  And there was a track on Laurie Beechman's No One is Alone album that I found to jarring and strange to include, a duet with Ken Page.  I think that's about it.  There have been more than a few instances where I just said to folks, here's a song (something that hadn't been planned), let's see what we can do with it, and then we'd just play around and record whatever we came up with - those tracks have always made the albums.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2004, 04:25:28 PM »

My question for ASK BK day:  (finally)

What is the first CD you ever bought?  Did you go from LP's to cassettes to CD's, or did you skip cassettes and 8-tracks?  And did you know immediately that CD's would be a viable music product?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2004, 04:50:05 PM »

JRand just spurred a great question to ask of everyone!

Do you remember what the first CD was that you bought?  If so, what was it????

I do remember the first CD I bought.  I bought it in the Navy Exchange at NAS Alameda in 1984 when I bought my Sony portable CD player.

It was "Sunset Boulevard: The Classic Film Scores of Franz Waxman" on RCA.  It had more tracks than the LP issue had.  While I greatly enjoyed listening to that album, it simply wasn't enough.  Shortly after I purchased it, my ship went to Honolulu.  i visited a shopping center and picked up several other CDs, as well.  I'm thinking the Varese issue of a rerecording of Korngold's "The Adventures of Robin Hood" was one of them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2004, 04:51:31 PM »

TCB-

It wouldn't have been the same without you.

And I believe that is not the case any more.

Welcome(not back) but Welcome to your Renaissance on this here site

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2004, 04:53:21 PM »

Re: tonight's American Idol

Interesting how they talked about what happened last night on today's entertainment shows.

Apparently one of the usual standouts does not do well.

And someone who did VERY well last week, does very well again.

I'm off to watch.

Robin

« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2004, 05:04:42 PM »

The first CD I ever bought was Leonard Rosenman's score for Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and I still play it frequently.  

The first LP I ever bought, at the tender age of seven, was a "Ravel's Greatest Hits" record, which had the Bolero, and the Piano Concerto for the Left Hand.  

The second LP I had was "Broadway '59" by Pat Suzuki.  My aunt Rosie had a copy of it, and I'd have her play it every time I'd come over to visit.  Finally, she gave me my very own copy of it for my birthday.  The LP finally melted in an apartment fire, and I've been looking for a decent (read: playable) copy ever since...and Lord, would I ever love having it on CD.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 05:09:27 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2004, 05:14:08 PM »

My first CD was Dreamgirls.  I knew CDs were becoming popular, but I had no idea that they would kill the LP so quickly, much as DVD has killed VHS, almost overnight.

I never did 8 tracks, but I had many cassettes.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2004, 05:23:17 PM »

I can only guess the first CD I personally purchased was something classical.  Long before that the guys had filled the house with CD’s.  In Michigan, not far from our home, was a Harmony House classical music store I loved.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2004, 05:37:14 PM »

I have no idea of the first CD or first album I ever bought. I do remember the first theater I ever attended - age 2 - THE NUTCRACKER at the Budapest Opera House. I still have the ticket. (I've posted about that before.)
The first movie also must have been in Hungary.

Panni

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2004, 05:43:03 PM »

The first concert piece that ever shook me up was at Massey Hall in Toronto. Probably Walter Susskind conducting the Toronto Symphony in a Student Concert. The piece was Bolero and I was sitting way up in the gods and I had never heard anything like it. It just rumbled around in my insides until I thought I would explode from excitement. By the time it ended, tears were running down my face so I could hardly see. I do remember saving up and going to "Sam the Record Man" on Yonge Street and buying a recording of Bolero. (But that wasn't my first album.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 05:45:32 PM by Panni »

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2004, 05:48:36 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~Continued vibes to TCB~~[/move]

Tell der Brucer to feel better, Woody.  He has to help me with my chemistry homework!  ;)

Everyone has been naming such wonderful TV shows that ought to be put on DVD.  I'd love to see "Moonlighting", "Bewitched", "Days Of Our Lives", "Theatre Talk", "Ned and Stacey", "Caroline In the City", and "Clarissa Explains It All" (I am, after all, a child of the '90s...boy, I'm young!) released.

My first cassette was the Spice Girls  ::), my first CD was "Les Miserables" (complete symphonic recording), my first record was "Sweeney Todd", and my first experience with theatre was seeing my sister play Mama Rose when she was seven years old (a very strange production that, thankfully, is preserved on video).  My first professional musical was the "Show Boat" revival with Elaine Stritch and Rebecca Luker.

I'm so young!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 05:51:54 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jed

« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2004, 05:58:25 PM »

Everyone has been naming such wonderful TV shows that ought to be put on DVD...."Days Of Our Lives...

All 38 years worth?!?!? :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2004, 06:02:38 PM »

All 38 years worth?!?!? :D

::Nods positively::

Mm-hm!  I want to see Alice Horton in her prime, and Hope when she was still a chubby ice skater, and I want to see all the various actors who have played Roman!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2004, 06:08:54 PM »

I must have missed the post about derBrucer's cold. :-\
Feel better derB.!

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2004, 06:11:21 PM »

First Cd to replace my record "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - S & G. I think the first "new" recording would have been a Linda Ronstadt CD. "Cry Like A Rainstorm.."
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2004, 06:34:49 PM »

With my massive collection of vinyl records, I was loathe to see a new technology make my investment obsolete.  Completely skipped over the audio tape era.  Was a late bloomer to CDs.   First ones acquired included the soundtrack to Beaches, Melissa Manchester's Tribute album and the John McGlinn-led reconstruction of Showboat.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2004, 06:47:34 PM »

My first CD was an act of desparation:  I needed a demo tape, possibly for Dear Friend BK, and the recorded selections I chose were so scratchy that the demo sounded like crap.  So I hiked up to a store around 90th Street and Broadway, got a crash course from a clerk on how to use a CD player, bought one and walked down Broadway with it under my arm.  I stopped at a long-gone CD/record store at Broadway and 84th (now a Godiva store) and bought the first CD that appealed to me - Dvorak's Slavonic Dances on Chandos Records conducted by Nemi Jarvi.  After that, CD mania set in, and the first things I bought were my arrangements that existed on CD so that I could do the demo.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2004, 06:54:23 PM »

DRJAY - I skipped tapes too.....went straight from LP's to CD's.  

Seems like one day I went in to buy a record and everything was fine...and then almost overnight, I went to the store and LP's were in ONE small bin in the back and CD'S had taken over.  Didn't mind it so much once I had gotten used to it!

First CD was (DR PANNI will appreciate it) a recording of Bolero!  How many times and in how many different ways have I choreographed it in my mind!!!  My second Cd was Randy Travis!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2004, 07:12:57 PM »

I never did the 8 track tape thing, though my dad had many. I think the first record album that I bought was a compilation of Albert Glasser film music which was put out by Starlog magazine around 1979 or so, my next album purchases weren't until late in high school when I bought albums of Wham U.K., Kid Creole and the Coconuts, and Spandau Ballet!

Don't have a clue as to my first audio tapes but I started buying them around 1985 or so. I think it might have been a Bonnie Tyler audio cassette or a compilation of 1960s pop songs. I was late getting into CDs since I didn't purchase my first CD player until about 1994!

I think my first VHS movie purchase was BRIDE OF THE GORILLA!

First DVD purchase was William Castle's I SAW WHAT YOU DID.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2004, 07:16:13 PM »

Der Brucer is tucked in warmly, with Mikey cuddled close and Bonnie curled up at his feet.  He appreciates the well wishing, and will get to the chemistry homework the moment he feels better.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2004, 07:25:57 PM »

The switch to CDs started while der Brucer and I were just beginning our relationship.  I was still on cassettes and LPs.  He, on the other hand, has just bought a CD player.

One weekend, Wherehouse, the hot store in SoCal for audio software at the time, was having a sale.  At the time, their CDs were limited to maybe five racks, almost all classical, but that's what he was interested in.  We must have made three trips to the store, replacing his old LPs.  At the end of the third trip, the clerk took pity on him and threw in Whitney Houston's first disc as a freebee, "just to give you guys a little variety, y'know?"

The first CD I bought wasn't for myself, but a present for der B.  It was the weekend of the Tonys, and I bought him the first CD release of The Mystery of Edwin Drood, (not the improved re-release).  We spent much of the weekend listening to the CD, going through the different endings.  Since then, we've always tried to make a point of having the winning musical on CD, and as many of the other nominees, each year.

What ever became of Whitney Houston, anyway?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up