Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE QUIZ KIDS  (Read 68311 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE QUIZ KIDS
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2004, 01:38:08 PM »

I've read the articles.  As before, we're only hearing one side of things - it's deja vu all over again.   Hard to know exactly what's going on, but I think certain things are obvious from both the articles and the spin.  However, in the long run, what will be will be.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2004, 01:38:50 PM »

I finally finished STAR! today. I found the transfer to be stunning. Yes, the powers that be have tinted the entire transfer in a light brown wash (only some of the scenes on the laserdisc were done this way) which I suppose is intended to put the stamp of a past era of show business on the entire film (to give it a rotogravure quality, I guess). I'd rather they not have done that, but the fact remains that the picture is still sharper than it's ever been on home video (the laser looked slightly out of focus and smeared in comparison) with colors very, very deeply saturated and some shots so beautifully composed and colorful that it took my breath away. My two favorite shots due to composition and clarity: a medium shot of the beginning of the terrace scene in PRIVATE LIVES with Julie and Daniel on opposite sides of the screen and the full stage of "The Saga of Jenny" once the lights come up before Julie launches into the song proper. Astonishing detail in those shots and throughout. (I could see the brocade pattern on her French Revolution gown in the Roman party scene for the first time.)

And the sound! The Overture's surround sound is simply thrilling, and at a late point in "Jenny" when the chorus takes over, I thought my speakers were going into overload. I've never heard the score sounding so rich and full. Despite not have a dedicated subwoofer channel for the Dolby Digital surround mix, the bass is VERY powerful throughout the orchestrations. The sound of the laserdisc is tinny compared to the sound here.

I also watched the first 2/3 of CALL ME MADAM. The film isn't quite as sharp as I was hoping, but the Technicolor is very bright and colorful. It was MADAM's success that convinced Fox that Merman could be a major film star and led to her casting in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS, but she's just not very photogenic, and the camera really doesn't catch her effervescent personality. I am SO happy to have this film on DVD, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. (My memory of it was much kinder than the reality of it.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2004, 01:40:28 PM »

Welcome MERRY SEARCHERS.  Certain things really ARE predictable, aren't they?

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2004, 01:43:27 PM »

DR Robin wrote: "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.  Sure, it's not the best Star Trek flick, but it's reputation is worse than it really deserves.  (And I'll take it over any of the Next Generation movies in a New Yawk Minnit.)"

I have taken major heat for years for liking STAR TREK V. You're entirely right; it's not the best of the TREK movies, but I found it a lot more entertaining that the wobbly dinosaur that was the first film in the series.

However, I have liked the Next Generation movies obviously more than you have. Only the last one to me was a disappointment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2004, 01:50:33 PM »

MattH: As you know, I agree about the sharpness.  Where you err is about the color.  I know there are colors that seem vibrant, but they are not what they should be.  There should be no flat brown skin tones on that DVD - look at the King of Kings DVD if you want to see proper skin tones - or the Once Upon a Time in the West DVD - either of those are perfect in terms of their colors.  The brownish tint on the newsreel section is NOT the way the film was printed originally.  Those newsreels are supposedly from the latter part of her career - they should be black-and-white.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2004, 01:50:53 PM »

Did you know that instead of taking the cabaret seating out of Studio 54 that was used for CABARET they left it in for ASSASSINS and are serving food and drink?  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2004, 01:53:05 PM »

And really, let's let sleeping dogs lie in terms of the label.  Que sera sera.  If, as Max Preeo says, they're trying to sell the catalog (I've heard this rumor for six months) then I hope they sell it to someone who will care.  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 01:56:41 PM by bk »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2004, 01:58:06 PM »

DVD: FABULOUS DORSEYS
TIVO: THOUSANDS CHEER
CD: Billy Joel STORM FRONT

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2004, 02:01:36 PM »

Finished reformatting and have printed out a few copies of the book.  Hoo and ray.  Maybe.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2004, 02:01:45 PM »

The horse is dead....beating it only scares off the maggots.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2004, 02:03:33 PM »

Michael, not quite sure what you mean--NW 23rd isn't "downtown."  The classic Rose's was on NW 23rd and Everett.  It was a full-service restaurant, a legend in Portland.  (There was another eastside on 82nd, I think).  The main restaurant closed at least six or seven years ago.  There's a fancy-schmantzy new development on that block now (kitty corner from the newer Kitchen Kaboodle building).  The Rose's Deli I mentioned IS (or at least was) downtown in the Pioneer Place mall, in the basement as part of the food court.  Though it is/was very small, it did have all of the old pastry/baked items that the restaurant used to have, including the gigantic cinnamon rolls and the yummilicious chocolate cakes.

I guess I always think of that whole area to be downtown...from China Town up to Fred Meyers on the NW side and from 405 down to the river on the SW side.

Either way there is someplace on 23rd that has great cakes and luncheon items!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2004, 02:18:34 PM »

I'm hungry.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2004, 02:51:45 PM »

MattH: As you know, I agree about the sharpness.  Where you err is about the color.  I know there are colors that seem vibrant, but they are not what they should be.  There should be no flat brown skin tones on that DVD - look at the King of Kings DVD if you want to see proper skin tones - or the Once Upon a Time in the West DVD - either of those are perfect in terms of their colors.  The brownish tint on the newsreel section is NOT the way the film was printed originally.  Those newsreels are supposedly from the latter part of her career - they should be black-and-white.

BK: Either you didn't read what I wrote carefully enough or you are determined to have an argument where there is none to have. I freely admitted in the mastering of this DVD, the producers used some kind of sepia wash on every scene. No, it wasn't to my liking, and I think it spoiled the vibrancy of some of the color making it lack sparkle, but it's still a thousand times better looking than the laserdisc and certainly something I can live with as someone who loves this movie.

Yep, newsreels I that I've seen from the period were never in sepia (but I have to admit I've never seen every newsreel ever made), but the Kansas scenes of OZ (1939) were and so was the entirety of CABIN IN THE SKY (1943).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2004, 03:03:52 PM »

Two posts in the last hour!  That is most unseemly!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2004, 03:05:31 PM »

Well MATTH - your description of the STAR soundmix has made up my mind, I will purchase it - because it is the music that sold it to me to begin with.  Thanks!  How does THE PHYSICIAN look and sound?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2004, 03:21:36 PM »

As with the rest of the film, the sound is richer and more spacious on the DVD and the colors are deeply saturated but not sparkling. The sound that will blow you away is on "Limehouse Blues" and "Jenny."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2004, 03:24:28 PM »

Funny how Kritzer-isms begin to creep into ones thoughts at the oddest times.  Today, while I was teaching my 6th grade music class, we were singing (as usual) and they were looking quite bored (as usual) and I almost said

"This is a fun and happy song, how can you sit there like so much fish..."

but I caught myself, I'd hate to have made a fool out of myself in front of jr high kids!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2004, 03:29:39 PM »

I hope Mr Pogue that you also have a copy of Mr Bygraves singing "When You Come To The End Of A Lollipop".  I sometimes play "You're A Pink Toothbrush" when the conversation turns to "they don't write pop songs like they used to". Bygraves had a top ten het here with "Any Dream'll Do" which is very popular on a few radio stations here. Also like his version of the Eydie Gorme song "Gotta Have Rain".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2004, 03:30:26 PM »

Funny how Kritzer-isms begin to creep into ones thoughts at the oddest times.  Today, while I was teaching my 6th grade music class, we were singing (as usual) and they were looking quite bored (as usual) and I almost said

"This is a fun and happy song, how can you sit there like so much fish..."

but I caught myself, I'd hate to have made a fool out of myself in front of jr high kids!!

I've gotten on the case of many a choir for "sitting there like so much fish," and gladly accepted the odd looks from the kids! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2004, 03:36:54 PM »

Ordered my "Star" a few days ago. I haven't seen it for many years so my memory will not be looking for tones and colours. I too enjoyed it very much at the movies. (I was in my Noel coward appreciation years). Great price - the postage costs as much!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2004, 03:39:57 PM »

MattH, not trying to have an argument - don't like 'em.  I did read what you wrote, but I'm so offended by the color on the DVD that I just can't stop myself from pointing it out.  The reason is simple: It would have been so easy to fix in the telecine room.  I agree, though (and have said so) about the sound being terrific.

Just got a nice e-mail from the folks at C.C. Brown's, who tell me everyone is doing fine, especially my fave, Heidi.  I told them that I have immortalized them in all three Kritzer books, so I'm sending them a set.

Just gave the new book to my friend and muse, Margaret, who was baby-sitting the most adorable creature called Annabella, all of twelve months old.  I spent fifteen minutes with her and she now can blow a mean raspberry.  I've taught more children how to do that.

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2004, 03:50:48 PM »

Okay I've caught up with all of the posts.

Btw, for fans of AI, I forget if I mentioned this, but Jennifer Hudson was on the Ryan Seacrest show yesterday. And she sang the most beautiful duet with Barry Manilow.  IT was the same song she sang on Tuesday. And it brought chills all over my body.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2004, 03:51:22 PM »

Didn't Universal wash THE STING in that same kind of sepia bath to give it a 30's look? (I meant for the theatrical run of the film; not the DVD which I've never seen. Refused to buy it full frame.)

Jennifer

« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2004, 03:52:43 PM »

Here is a funny photo of Simon and John Stevens (well their faces anyhow).

http://wonderbred.net/johnsimon/

:)

Michael

« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2004, 03:54:35 PM »

....., but I'm so offended by the color on the DVD that I just can't stop myself from pointing it out.  The reason is simple: It would have been so easy to fix in the telecine room.  I agree, though (and have said so) about the sound being terrific.

could it be the original deluxe print processing. Was Star a true TODD-AO film?
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2004, 03:58:40 PM »

could it be the original deluxe print processing. Was Star a true TODD-AO film?

It was a true Todd-AO film, just like DOCTOR DOLITTLE and HELLO, DOLLY!

Deluxe color usually goes pink when it fades, not brown. I feel sure this was a deliberate choice during the mastering process for DVD.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 04:01:41 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2004, 04:02:15 PM »

Depends on the print, who it was made by and when.  It can go purple, it can go brown.  The brownishness is because whatever intergeg they used is slightly turning.  It's not fully turned which is why the colors are there.  When Eastman first starts going, it is most evident in shots of sky and greenery and skin tone, which is exactly the problem with Star.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2004, 04:08:38 PM »

In my CD player:  Follies (the Paper Mill Playhouse recording), after that, the London cast recording of La Cava.  I bought this in London in December 2001 and have only listened to it...maybe twice since.  I don't even remember if I like it or not.

In my VCR:  a blank tape to tape tonight's repeat of Tuesday's "Showbiz Moms & Dads."  I wasn't home on Tuesday and forgot to set my VCR to tape it.  Watching these people (especially the guy with seven kids) is like watching a car wreck...you know you shouldn't look but you just can't turn away!

In my DVD player:  the Swedish Chess.  I love this DVD...even though I can't understand a darned thing that they're singing or saying!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 04:09:37 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2004, 04:23:52 PM »

In my VCR:  a blank tape to tape tonight's repeat of Tuesday's "Showbiz Moms & Dads."  I wasn't home on Tuesday and forgot to set my VCR to tape it.  Watching these people (especially the guy with seven kids) is like watching a car wreck...you know you shouldn't look but you just can't turn away!

DR George, thank you for mentioning the Bravo show!  I haven't seen it yet, and I can catch it tonight.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2004, 04:25:47 PM »

I am currently watching/listening to DR Nick Redman's quite excellent commentary on The Inn of the Sixth Happiness.  I tried booking that place through Expedia, but they only had openings at the Fifth and Seventh Happinesses.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up