Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SPARKLE AND FIZZ  (Read 71338 times)

Michael

Re:SPARKLE AND FIZZ
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2004, 02:37:53 PM »

1964  The year Hello, Dolly won. As fun as the musical is I think She Love Me was the better show that year. Funny Girl really was all about Streisand and there has never been a successful revival anywhere including the tour with Pia Zadora
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2004, 02:39:31 PM »

1966 ----Man of La Mancha.  That year there was also Mame and Sweet Charity.  Man of La Mancha was really a one song show (The Impossible Dream) I mean when was the last time someone recorded or sang To Each Each His Dulcinea?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2004, 02:40:52 PM »

1972---Two Gentlmen of Verona, Now what was the hit song from that show again. Despite its perceived book problems it should have been Follies.
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2004, 02:41:22 PM »

When was the last time Fiorello! had a major revival any where

I think the Pulitzer-winning Fiorello is somewhat superior to The Sound of Music, which grinds to a halt for that Ordinary Couple thing.  But don't judge it for its lack of major revivals.  It was done at Encores! and I saw it at the Westbury Music Fair with original star Tom Bosley.  In all likelihood, Fiorello! doesn't get done much outside of the New York City area because people don't recognize the name Fiorello LaGuardia.

Numbers from Fiorello! went over very well a year ago in the revue I assembled of Bock & Harnick songs, Grand Knowing You.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Michael

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2004, 02:42:19 PM »

1975-----Why was The Lieutenant even nominated that year???
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2004, 02:45:03 PM »

1976......A Chorus Line. I don't think the show has really stood the test of time. That year there was also Chicago and Pacific Overtures. The former is now the longest running book musical revival on Broadway.
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2004, 02:51:34 PM »

1966 ----Man of La Mancha.  That year there was also Mame and Sweet Charity.  Man of La Mancha was really a one song show

The Tony goes to the whole show, and when just one hit (or none) come out of the score, it's no reflection on the overall quality.  Mame's the first Broadway musical I ever saw, and Sweet Charity's very dear to my heart.  All three shows have stong books, but Dale Wasserman's for Man of La Mancha is wonderfully compact, and succeeds in getting a great deal of emotion out of an ancient and familiar tale.  I'd call it a dead heat, but can't view it as particularly tragic that La Mancha got that nod.

The last three songs sung at the Promenade Thursday night: I Don Quixote, Aldonza and the finale version of The Impossible Dream.  (Our first act closer was There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This from Sweet Charity.)

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2004, 02:56:01 PM »

1976......A Chorus Line. I don't think the show has really stood the test of time. That year there was also Chicago and Pacific Overtures. The former is now the longest running book musical revival on Broadway.

Yes, but the longest-running original run of an American musical on Broadway is A Chorus Line, which still gets hundreds of productions worldwide every year.  It may be of it's time, but it's certainly stood the test of time.

I view A Chorus Line as the last truly top-rank musical, a breathtaking emotional experience that, in effect, changed musical theatre forever.  Now, I also saw Chicago that year and liked it a lot, but it doesn't hit at the heart nearly as hard as A Chorus Line, a show that no show since has surpassed.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2004, 03:09:41 PM »

1975-----Why was The Lieutenant even nominated that year???

Well, on that one I agree with you.
I don't know anything about The Lieutenant, but how could you not nominate Goodtime Charlie which had four nominated performances and a whole bunch of really good Hackady/Grossman songs?

Robin

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2004, 03:13:07 PM »

I just spent two hours watching the deeveedee of Star!, and I just plain gave up on it..the Significant Other, who's never seen the movie before, is sticking with it 'til the bitter end.  

Robert Wise's films are usually so much better than this...

Is anyone else planning on picking up the Universal Monsters boxed set being issued on Tuesday?  Since I missed some of the later deeveedees on the first time around, I am...I'm just hoping against hope that they fixed the hideous problems on The Bride of Frankenstein, one of my all-time favorite films.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2004, 03:15:18 PM »

I view A Chorus Line as the last truly top-rank musical, a breathtaking emotional experience that, in effect, changed musical theatre forever.  Now, I also saw Chicago that year and liked it a lot, but it doesn't hit at the heart nearly as hard as A Chorus Line, a show that no show since has surpassed.

All I know from A Chorus Line is the movie.  And, Lord knows, I despised that version of it.  I'm assuming the staged version was infinitely better....but then, it'd have to be.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2004, 03:24:15 PM »

Thank you, Jane.
And now I'm off to fold newsletters. I should be gone until the wee hours of the morning.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2004, 03:34:51 PM »

All I know from A Chorus Line is the movie.  And, Lord knows, I despised that version of it.  I'm assuming the staged version was infinitely better....but then, it'd have to be.

It's a work of absolute genius from the mind of a rare talent, Michael Bennett.  He had a vision in which every dance step, every light cue, and every spoken or sung line served to illuminate the audience as to what the life of dancers on the "line" is really like.  If you've seen the movie, or a production not helmed by Bennett, you haven't seen A Chorus Line.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2004, 04:53:33 PM »

All right, let's get a posting frenzy going or Dear Friend BK will not be fit to live with!  I've always been more interested, DR Michael Shayne, on Tony winners who didn't deserve to win.  for instance, the late great lamented Lynn Thigpen, in my opinion, deserved to win for TINTYPES but she lost to Lauren Bacall, who seemed to me to sleepwalk through WOMAN OF THE YEAR.

Any thoughts?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2004, 04:56:26 PM »

This could be extended to losing nominees in other categories as well:  when I worked on recording BABES IN TOYLAND with Sir Ian McKellan, I told him, "you was robbed," because I thought he deserved the Academy Award for GODS AND MONSTERS over all the other nominees.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2004, 05:00:50 PM »

Is anyone else planning on picking up the Universal Monsters boxed set being issued on Tuesday?  Since I missed some of the later deeveedees on the first time around, I am...I'm just hoping against hope that they fixed the hideous problems on The Bride of Frankenstein, one of my all-time favorite films.  

Yep, I have pre-ordered mine from Amazon.com and hope they will arrive this week! Those 1930s/1940s Universal horror films are comfort movies for me...they bring back such fond memories of staying up for the Creature Features movie at 11pm on Saturdays and watching HOUSE OF DRACULA or GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN.

I am also getting (on this same order I think) the 2nd Ma and Pa Kettle set and the Francis the Talking Mule set, not to mention about half a dozen 1930s poverty row horror/mystery films  on DVD from Alpha (5 films for 25 bucks!).

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2004, 05:05:57 PM »

Have spent the last hour lounging on the lounge chair in my backyard soaking up the wonderful sunny weather and reading Kritzer Time.

I stopped to read the posts and check e-mail and eat a can of herring fillets in tomotoe sauce. Now I will return to my back yard and continue reading. Hopefully I can finish it up tonight. As several DRs have mentioned that the ending is a tearjerker I don't want to be caught reading that part whilst on the cardio machinery at the gym (which is where i usually do my reading)...that would be unseemly to be seen crying at the gym!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 05:08:28 PM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2004, 05:15:29 PM »

Happy Reading, DRMBARNUM.

Well, actually, DRNOEL, I don't live in the Big City - but I do know who Fiorello LaGuardia was....but that certainly doesn't mean I want to see a show about him.  I have the cast album which I have listened to once, and I have seen a production of the show, I am indifferent to its charms.\

I agree that A CHORUS LINE is all you say.  I saw it at the glorious Shubert Theatre during its original run.  It was a very emotional experience.  And as for the movie....no comment.  It has been said here before.  Don't judge the show by that thing.

LOL now I can sing it in Latin!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2004, 05:18:56 PM »

Chorus Line story: When I was at Fresno State, one of the last productions I was involved in (working the house) was Company (Bob Westenberg as Bobby).  Cast party, after opening night, we all gathered at Bunny's house (she played Joanne) and had a grand time.  I brought along two LPs, the cast albums for Pacific Overtures and A Chorus Line, both of which had just come out.  Number of playings per disc: PO = 0, ACL = infinate.

This is in FRESNO!  Don't tell me they didn't know what was selling, just from the cast album!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2004, 05:21:39 PM »

Probably the best known song from Fiorello is "A Little Tin Box," a novelty song.  No wonder it isn't produced often these days.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2004, 05:23:40 PM »

Angriff der 50 Fuss-Frau! Sehen Sie ihren GebirgsTorso. Ihre Wolkenkratzerglieder. Mit Allison Hayes! Sie won't glauben Ihren Augen!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2004, 05:24:40 PM »

Goodtime Charley doesn't even have "A Little Tin Box."  Yawnsies.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2004, 05:27:10 PM »

Attaque de la femme de 50 pieds ! Voir le son torse montagneux. Ses membres de gratte-ciel. Avec Allison Hayes ! Vous won't croyez vos yeux !

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2004, 05:29:13 PM »

Babelfish will give you a great translation for up to 150 words!

Danise

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2004, 05:32:04 PM »

Evening all,

I spent the day doing yard work.  After today I won't be back out in the yard until June so I hope it will stay pretty nice until then.  This was the last of the "big" jobs before I go.  

We also had a very nice day.  My first one of the season in shorts!  I know a few people will be a bit shocked when they see how fair skinned I am but not everyone in Florida has a tan.

I had a pretty good scare last night.  I bought a full length mirror and hung it on the bathroom door using the little tap tabs I bought that said they were for that purpose.

Well, about four o'clock this morning, I was awakened by a very loud bang noise.  I thought my Mother had fallen so I jumped out of bed and into the hall just in time to catch the mirror as it fell forwards.  

Whew!  Just managed to avoid those seven years of bad luck!

I looked at the pictures from yesterday.  I'm afraid I didn't know who the other author was/is.  

Latin isn't something I'm big on.  I know a few phrases but I can't read or write it.  It's all Greek to me!  LOL!

I decided I will comment on the cookie question.  Forget the cookies--it's the cookie dough that I'm after!  I could eat a whole batch of the stuff and never bake one cookie.    

Not to brag but as of this morning I am 7 (yes you read that correctly) 7 pounds away from my goal.  I'm losing despite myself.  I think I'm being bad and when I wake up the next morning, I STILL manage to lose another pound!

So I guess I should ask the question--how many of you who said you were going to diet, did and how are you doing on it?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2004, 05:37:51 PM »

I've been through location hell at the fairs, BK.  Der Brucer and I went through it with the Christopher Street West Festival one year in West Hollywood, and that once was enough.

Of course, part of the story is about what crowd you're playing to, which can make a large difference.

Flash back oodles of years, say the fifth year der Brucer and I were together.  Which makes it something like thirteen and a half years ago.  I was still scorekeeping for the Long Beach Gay Softball league at the time, and the team I was with was looking for something to use as a fundraiser at the Orange County Gay Festival that year.  Someone mentioned the idea of astrology, someone else mentioned computer dating, and all eyes fell to us.  Der Brucer was the only one even associated remotely with the team who understood computer programming, so it fell to us to come up with something that the team could use to combine astrology and computer dating.

Easier said than done.

Well, we were able to pull together some various bits and pieces.  For one thing, der B found an early computerized astrology program, which he hacked into and rebuilt from the basic maths up.  I researched the astrology, and was able to write up some decent non-gender biased profiles for each of the planet-sign combinations and the aspects.  We were further able to find a generalized "this sign goes with that" listing, and built that into what we had.

The final product was two-layered.  A customer could either go for a cheapie, which gave him/her a sheet with what their sign was (and a general reading), along with what signs they matched up with, or go for a more specific reading, which told them where each of their planets were located, along with theier aspects, and what each of all that meant.  The gimmick was that with each reading everyone was also given a yarn "bracelet" of a certain color, and a list of which colors they should look for to find a "match."  The whole thing depended upon how many people bought into the program and had the bracelets.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 05:58:15 PM by S. Woody White »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2004, 05:39:53 PM »

I'm back - interesting day, which I'll talk more about after I get something to eat.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »

1972---Two Gentlmen of Verona, Now what was the hit song from that show again. Despite its perceived book problems it should have been Follies.

1972 is often cited as the What-Were-They-Thinking? year as Follies is widely thought of as a masterpiece and Two Gentlemen of Verona is largely forgotten.

Follies was a most ambitious undertaking.  The creators sought to say something about how American optimism from the years between the World Wars had dissipated; in Act Two there's something of a musical nervous breakdown . . . for four!, and, I think, we're meant to care about the shattered lives of four middle-aged people who deeply regret some of the choices they've made for their lives.

Two Gentlemen of Verona certainly had less loft ambitions: the idea was to tell the Bard's comedy with a multi-ethnic cast and a similarly wide variety of musical styles: rock, R & B, dixieland jazz, classical-tinged musical comedy, salsa, samba and country waltz.

Now, Two Gents is largely forgotten, a thing of the hippie era.  You don't see performers doing Pearls or Symphony; meanwhile, I'm Still Here, Broadway Baby and Losing My Mind are done all the time.  I think both scores are terrific, although I'd give the edge to Sondheim's Follies.  I can think of no score from the past four decades that contains a higher quantity of truly brilliant numbers.  (And if you count the songs written for it, but cut, even more!)

But (brace yourselves) every time I see Follies it leaves me cold.  Somewhere after Too Many Mornings I cease caring for that regretful quartet of characters and wonder why I'm being subjected to so much whining.  Nothing is satisfyingly resolved; they all go home.  And if the show's said something about America, the point's lost on me.  Two Gentlemen of Verona, on the other hand, achieves 100% of its (admitedly less lofty) ambitions.  It's funny on almost every page and there's a great sense of fun to it.  Thurio's Samba always makes me laugh, just as You're Gonna Love Tomorrow/Love Will See Us Through always dazzles me.

They're both full of merits, but I can see how the Tony voters that year, opted for the show that succeeded in all of its ambitions over the noble near-miss.

td

• td
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2004, 05:53:15 PM »

Is anyone else planning on picking up the Universal Monsters boxed set being issued on Tuesday?  

I'm getting the Hammer Horror boxset tomorrow - - Christopher Lee!
The only Legacy I'll be getting is the FRANKENSTEIN set, for the re-mastered and corrected BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.  Except for one double featured MUMMY, I have all of the other Universals.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2004, 05:56:49 PM »

PART DEUX:

The Orange County Festival was fairly small, and our booth did fairly well.  There was the glitch of having a very slow printer; if someone wanted the full reading, it took several minutes to print it out.  Still, we made some money for the team, a nice share more than the investment.

During the winter between seasons, der Brucer fiddled and gadgeted with the program, getting it to run faster.  Getting a faster printer didn't hurt, either.  Come spring, we were ready for a second try, which came with the Long Beach Gay Pride Fest, in May.  This time, the beneficiary was the Long Beach Gay Softball League, but it still required der Brucer and myself to man things the entire run of the festival, which meant that we had to be there before the festival opened each day and couldn't leave until after the fest had closed.  That made for very long days.

The better printing mechanisms paid off.  As it happened, more people wanted the full print-out this time, which was fine by us.  Again, we had a success on our hands, which is why we agreed to running the program a third time, at the Los Angeles Christopher West Fair, mid-June.

Ooopsies.

Personally, we couldn't have tried it at a worse time.  My mother was dying of cancer, and we didn't know if I would be called up north, not to mention the emotional stress I was going through.  But the Fair itself was no picnic.

We were given a booth that we were assured would be in the hub of things.  It was not.  We were parked well out of the natural traffic flow.  That was strike one.

Strike two came that Saturday, when the crowds are smaller.  I would have thought that we would have done good business, in spite of the location.  Wrong, because the Saturday business was mostly people who just wanted to look and stare, and maybe laugh at what was there.  It was the day of the jaded West Hollywood snobs.  Making things worse was the reappearance of my ex, who had vanished years before I met der Brucer.  He wouldn't even acknowledge my presence, making things even worse for me, and thus worse for der B.  I was an emotional wreck.

Sunday, after the Gay Pride Parade, was even worse than Saturday.  Everyone followed the parade to the festival grounds...and headed directly to the beer vendors.  They had no intention of looking at anything other than each other, and getting another glass of beer.

We barely even made enough to pay for the booth.  

So I can fully understand BK complaining about not having a good location.  I sometimes wonder about whether these festivals are even worth anyone's time.  But it depends on the festival, and the atmosphere.  The OC and LB festivals were great, friendly places.  I sometimes forget that.

A couple of years later, der Brucer and I went to the CSW festival again.  There must have been three other booths selling computerized astrology readings that year.  None, from what I could tell, were as well written as I had done.  OK, that's vanity on my part.  But they weren't doing much business, either.

That's the way things go, I guess.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up