Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO KILLED THE DEAD RODENT?  (Read 79396 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WHO KILLED THE DEAD RODENT?
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2004, 02:07:55 PM »

Update: Still in the attic.  Wonder if he'll find any toys up there?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2004, 02:09:26 PM »

In Pennsylvania we lived next to a corn field and one winter the mice decided to move in and never leave.  One night I could hear a mouse running around above my head.  I unsuccessfully tried waking Keith.  So I turned on the light and timidly searched the window and wall, looking for a hole a mouse might come through and down onto me.  Finally convinced the mouse was securely behind the wall, I turned out the light.  At which point Keith wakes up and wants to know what’s going on.  He of course had to get up and convince himself it was safe to go back to sleep.

I guess if that mouse had died inside the wall, we would have had a dead rodent in the wall.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2004, 02:09:42 PM »

Update: Nothing in the attic, including toys.  He's back under the house.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2004, 02:10:20 PM »

THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES is a stunning DVD trasnfer. Razor sharp with glorious clarity, it is everything I had hoped it would be. And Richard Valley's running commmentary is excellent. Now that I have all the HOLMES films looking so magnificent on DVD, I can be at peace.

Well, until I get my hands on the Rutherford MISS MARPLES, and they're still a year away! Argh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2004, 02:12:56 PM »

In Michigan we had live Red Squirrels in our attic.

Insect spray is pretty bad.  In Connecticut we had a marching invasions of ants in our enclosed porch.  And I mean hours of these things coming down a hole from the top of the wall.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2004, 02:15:49 PM »

My parents recently had a family of mice move in to the house...I think mousetraps have taken care of most of them, though

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2004, 02:16:06 PM »

Me = kid in candy store

What to watch next; what to watch next?  ;D

Jed

« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2004, 02:18:04 PM »

77 degrees, bright blue skies, and not a mouse in sight.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2004, 02:19:59 PM »

I am slowly making my way up to the clouds...soon I shall be a god!

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2004, 02:24:43 PM »

DR Jane: Oops I thought that "someone is trying to steal" sign was intentional too.

And I actually liked it. :)

All I see now are red Xs (in the original and follow-up message).  

So what was the original a picture of?

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2004, 02:27:28 PM »

I will be off in 1 hour to feast on my favorite barbeque babyback ribs and fries.  Yummy, yummy.

I am so obsessed with this restaurant that year after year I continually make my own birthday reservation for my family (since by the time they think of it, my table could be gone).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2004, 02:30:19 PM »

RLP, singing all one's life is well and fine.  It still doesn't necessarily prepare a singer for the rigours of Boradway or theatre singing where one has to sustain his voice through eight shows a week.

I

DR CP:  I feel Clay demonstrated quite a talent during his competition last year -- and his vocal interpretations were often amazing...much more sophisticated than any we've heard on the show.    Also, last year there was a show called "Fame" in which a 33-year-old Eurasian male named Harlemm Lee blew everyone out of the water week after week and won that competition. His debut album is amazing.  He could be great on Broadway, too, IMO.

As for what it takes to do theater/theatre "singing," please don't presume I'm some bumpkin who has to have these things explained to him.  I've had my flirtations with amateur theater, as a student with a BA in theater arts, and as a performer/director/producer in/of comedies, dramas and musicals, both in high school, college and during my military career.  I know that Broadway has far more intensity than amateur theatrics, but I understand the amount of work it takes to raise the performance level.

Angela Lansbury who was not trained for musical theater, managed rather nicely to adapt to it for a string of musical triumphs.

I have never had to do eight shows a week, but I have  dealt with the ups and downs and the almost-outs of saving the voice and vocalizing.  Had my voice been better, and better-trained, I'd not have had to work at it so hard, IMO, but work at it I did.  And I loved it.

Clay Aiken has a gift for song interpretation.  You wouldn't know it these days, but he sang the hell out of some songs during his "Idol" days....way too good for the rest of the competition, in fact.  When he met one of those amazing songs head-on, our friend Simon would cut him down and say, "You'll be great for Broadway, but that's not what we're looking for in an 'American Idol'"  It used to make me so mad -- first, that he considered himself smart enough (he isn't, IMO) to determine whether a voice would be Broadway-suitable or not (I think Clay's is) and second, that he believed he was speaking for the public that would be buying the CDs (he, in fact, wasn't since Clay's outsold all the others by a vast majority).

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2004, 02:31:20 PM »

Update: Not underneat, not in the attic.  It's in the wall, and Mr. Pest Control Man is now poking holes in the area where it smells the most.  We HAVE to find it because it is now drawing flies which are somehow finding their way into the house.  The only other option is to deodorize and let nature take its course, which is about a week, but with this heat and the flies that option is a last resort.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2004, 02:32:57 PM »

Like you, DR CP, I learned at an early age, that if you wanted to work on stage you had to learn how "to project," regardless of the size of the theater.  Apparently that is not something that is taught in many drama schools or acting classes any longer.  A couple of years ago; I worked with a very talented actress who internalized everything about her performance, including her voice.  She literally gave a great film performance.  After daily notes from the director regarding projection, without result, he opted to try miking the actress.  It worked fairly well, until the first time I moved in close to her, and we almost blew out all of the theater's speakers.   The director and the sound man came to me after the rehearsal and asked me to please pull-back when I got close to her on stage, so that we wouldn't have any problems.  I, being in one of my ornery moods, flat-out refused to change my voice, just becuase she had never learned to project.  After thinking about it overnight, I probably should have just adjusted for the microphone, but, by then, it was the principle of the thing.  So, when we finally opened the show, I still projected, the actress never projected, and the sound guy almost lost his mind trying to adjust the levels.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Robin

« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2004, 02:34:10 PM »

In Michigan we had live Red Squirrels in our attic.

In Texas, my house was invaded, at one time or another, by those little goddamn lizards, scorpions, and cockroaches.  Lord, how anyone lives in that Godforsaken state I haven't a clue.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2004, 02:37:54 PM »

It's in the wall,

Edgar Allan Poe, eat your (tell-tale) heart out.  :-X

Jane

« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2004, 02:40:39 PM »

I’m glad my error was a hit today and more entertaining than my original sunflower happy face.  Shall I try it again and see what happens? ;)

Jennifer have a nice time tonight.  I think you are smart to make your own reservations.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2004, 02:40:53 PM »

In the wall it may be, but Mr. Pest Control Man cannot find it, so it's in some nook or cranny or corner and I'm stuck.  So, he's going to deodorize and that's that.  It will take a week or two, maybe more in this heat, and I'm just hoping the fly situation doesn't get worse than it is.   These type of flies are incredibly stupid and just sit there until you kill them.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2004, 02:43:55 PM »

Jennifer did you see the big happy face in the cloud at the top of page four?  That has also disapeared. ???

Jane

« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2004, 02:45:04 PM »

Yuck!  Sorry Bruce.   :P

Michael

« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2004, 02:45:40 PM »

Update: Nothing in the attic, including toys.  He's back under the house.

Maybe it was Christopher Jones
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2004, 02:47:18 PM »

The most damning comment that can be uttered on AMERICAN IDOL by one of the judges is "You have a great theater voice." For those three judges, having a theater voice is a no-no.

And the comment is stupidity personified. Who says that theater singers can't rock a song with the best of them? Who says all theater songs sound alike? Who says all theater singers sound alike?

Michael

« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2004, 02:50:41 PM »

Estee Lauder passed away at the amazing age of 97.

Emily summer vacation already!  When does school end for you?

Michael Shayne I have to go to L.A. but why anyone would want to spend their vacation there is beyond me, unless it is to see people.  On that note, who wants to meet us for breakfast at Du-Par’s? :)

Italy and Germany are wonderful and closer than Australia and New Zealand, which I hope to visit one day.

I have friends and relatives on the LA area. I thought I'd spend a few days in LA and then onto  NZ or Aust. Stop in LA on my way back. Decisions decisions.

I would love Europe but Wouldn;t want to watch over my shoulder all the time
Never stop dreaming.

Jed

« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2004, 02:51:21 PM »

Like father, like son.  The lack of projection I encounter working with high school theatre drives me absolutely batty!  When I was in HS, just 6 years ago, we played an auditorium of about 650 seats, and we most certainly did not wear mics.  As a result, I can project with the best of 'em.  Now it seems the kids totally rely on their mics, regardless of how much I harp on the subject.  To help prove my point, during my student teaching last winter the school musical was Grease, and they had me sort of guest star as the Teen Angel.  Did I wear a mic?  Heck no!  And could I be heard (and understood) in the back row of the dreadful cafetorium?  You bet!

I must now be off for tech rehearsal of this dreadful HS production of Children of Eden.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2004, 02:56:55 PM »

He's leaving the spray container of deodorant in case it gets bad.  I have a choice whether to let him "bomb" the room re flies, or just hope for the best.  If he bombs I have to leave for over two hours and I don't really want to do that, so I may see how it goes for the rest of today and tomorrow, and if it gets worse I'll have him come back to bomb the room.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »

I would love Europe but Wouldn;t want to watch over my shoulder all the time

In Italy Keith carried our passports and money in a travel, under the clothes, wallet.  Our son traveled all around Europe, mostly by himself.  What are you mostly concerned about?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2004, 02:57:06 PM »

Since using my Electronic Mousefier - there have been no mouses or flies in my house.

One of more of these does get rid of crawling and flying pests, Mr BK, in case the flies get too bad.  Because there are no flies on me (a Bob Merrill reference.)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2004, 02:58:05 PM »

It is currently 70 degrees in Tacoma, and absolutely gorgeous!

It's hot up here.
It's hot and it's monotonous [well, here at work. ::) (A Sondheim reference)]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2004, 03:01:32 PM »

In Pennsylvania we lived next to a corn field...

Did you ever send anyone "into the corn", Jane????

Hmmmmm?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2004, 03:02:41 PM »

:D :D :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up