Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NATURE TAKING ITS COURSE  (Read 82594 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NATURE TAKING ITS COURSE
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2004, 11:44:03 AM »

And one for Mahler.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2004, 11:45:12 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D
 ;D

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]PAGE 4 DANCE!!!!!!![/move]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 11:48:17 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2004, 11:46:41 AM »

Peter Palmer and Jackie Gleason are two people who have never been in my kitchen.
You stole my answer! :D

I really want to know what is going on in the room next door to the library. I swear I heard someone belching the tune to "Rose's Turn" from Gypsy, followed by wild applause.
Well, at least the belchers at your school have good taste in music!

I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2004, 11:48:34 AM »

Poor Marty.  That always makes it more difficult, knowing it’s hard on him too.  When Bogie’s sister was dying, he and our other cat followed her everywhere and never left her alone.  She also gave Bogie special attention, as if she was saying goodbye to him.  Give Marty extra hugs from me.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2004, 11:49:15 AM »

Bruce you just stated my two favorite movies, Good Old Summertime and Meet Me in St. Louis. I will add Easter Parade that, simply for the scene where she gets all the men on the street to turn their heads and look at her.  Favorite song, The Trolley Song.

I should know which morning or choice of mornings we can escape from family and have breakfast at Du-Par’s.

Echo got her staples removed today and it looks as if she is going to stayed closed this time. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2004, 11:51:05 AM »

You stole my answer! :DWell, at least the belchers at your school have good taste in music!

You are correct.  They might have been belching the score from CHILDREN OF EDEN.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2004, 11:53:33 AM »

DR Jane, you asked about dinner last night.  It was very delicious.  We started with nachos and spinach dip. Then I had the best BBQ babyback ribs and fries.  Then they brought a big chocolate cake. Yummy!

Ben

« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2004, 11:58:20 AM »

More news from Playbill On-Line

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/85841.html

WNYC to Broadcast Chenoweth-LuPone Candide Live

WNYC, New York Public radio, will broadcast live the May 7 performance at 8 PM ET. Interested listeners should tune in to WNYC 93.9 FM; the musical will also be available via webstream at www.WNYC.org.

Candide will star Tony Award winners Kristin Chenoweth and Patti LuPone as, respectively, Cunegonde and The Old Lady. They will be joined by tenor Paul Groves in the title role, tenor Stanford Olsen as Governor/Vanderdendur/Ragotski and baritone Sir Thomas Allen as Pangloss/Martin.

And this regarding the Tony Awards

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/85843.html

Tony Awards Schedule Announced; Tony Honors to Be Announced in Fall. Tthe big night is scheduled for Sunday, June 6 at 8 PM at Radio City Music Hall. Hugh Jackman will return as host for the 58th Annual Tony Awards. CBS will broadcast the three-hour event live.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2004, 12:09:09 PM »

Perhaps Mr. Jackman (as host) can introduce himself (as presenter) to present himself the Tony (Best Performance as Lead Actor in a Musical).
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2004, 12:10:01 PM »

Jennifer do you have any leftover cake?  Glad you enjoyed the dinner. :D

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2004, 12:16:46 PM »

JRand53, I didn't realize that when you posted that picture of Frances Rafferty that you meant that she had passed away. I just saw her obituary in todays paper.

I loved December Bride.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2004, 12:47:35 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D
 ;D

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]PAGE 4 DANCE!!!!!!![/move]

Great ad for The Vagina Monologues, TCB.

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2004, 12:51:09 PM »

Jennifer do you have any leftover cake?  Glad you enjoyed the dinner. :D

The restaurant supplied the cake. And they took it to cut it into pieces. So either we ate it all, or they kept the rest. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2004, 12:58:25 PM »

Less than five hundred postings to go.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2004, 12:59:39 PM »

Great ad for The Vagina Monologues, TCB.

Ahhh.  It is probably best that I just not say anything.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2004, 01:05:21 PM »

Yes Frances Rafferty has gone to the big Desilu in the sky.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2004, 01:26:53 PM »

CINDERELLA was definitely broadcast live in color (for the few people who had color televisions back in 1957). The kinescope is in black and white because they merely focused a camera on a black and white monitor and shot what was coming over the airwaves. Army Archard put out a plea in his column today asking for anyone to give up their color copy if they had one so a broadcast copy could be created. I doubt there is one in existence, and the black and white is certainly OK. I've seen it several times at the Museum of Television and Radio. I'll certainly record it when PBS broadcasts it and will later buy the commercially issued DVD, especially if there are bonus features as I suspect there will be. Hopefully Julie will add a running commentary. Jon Cypher who played the prince is also still alive and could be brought in to comment. Who else is still around? Edie Adams? Kaye Ballard? I'd love to hear all of their memories of the experience.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2004, 01:31:19 PM »

I remember this one and of course the later Lesley Ann Warren broadcast.  I think this was during the CBS/NBC color war when each network had its own color tv system (CBS' was noncompatible and the its color shows could not be seen on b/w tv).  But it has been many years ago!

Robin

« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2004, 01:39:58 PM »

First off, deepest sympathies to the Woody/Brucer family.  We're all keeping you in our thoughts.  

Second off, for everyone's edification:

Mr. Jackie Gleason was in Mr. Billion with Mr. Slim Pickens.
Mr. Slim Pickens was in Crazy Horse and Custer: The Untold Story with Mr. Peter Palmer.

Who'd've thought the connection between the two would've been Slim Pickens, of all people?  Slim Pickens, who's in two of my all-time favorite bad movies, The Swarm and Beyond the Posiedon Adventure
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 01:40:50 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »

Woody, derBrucer, and family; you are in my thoughts.
[/size]
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2004, 01:53:37 PM »

Good afternoon!

As for Judy Garland movies and songs: Ditto.  Ditto.

I actually bought a few Just Garland CDs a few years ago, but I still need to give them a close listen.  However, I will also agree that her rendition of "The Man That Got Away" truly set the standard for that standard.

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes back.  My acid reflux seems to be in check, and the "biggest" thing I'm dealing with right now is just how "small" my stomach had gotten.  I get filled up pretty quickly right now.  As for certain "no-no" foods, I actually had to ask my doc about that since most of the foods she suggested I eat in order to get my weight back on were on the "no-no" list.  So... Apparently, since my acid reflux was triggered by the meds, now that the meds are out of my system, I don't have to be as "careful" as someone who's acid reflux was triggered by certain foods.  However, I do have to be careful in regards to the condition of my throat - now I know what esophogitis is!  Ah, well...  My doc is predicting that I'll only have to be on the Prevacid for two weeks, so that's good - usually it's an 8-week deal.

Well, I need to get ready to head in for tonight's show.

DR Jed - I hope that your late night tonight won't be/wasn't too late.  *And if all else fails, the first act is pretty complete on it's own anyway, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2004, 02:09:38 PM »

I remember this one and of course the later Lesley Ann Warren broadcast.  I think this was during the CBS/NBC color war when each network had its own color tv system (CBS' was noncompatible and the its color shows could not be seen on b/w tv).  But it has been many years ago!

I think you're right about CBS and NBC (RCA) using different color system technologies, but that cannot be right about CBS' color shows not being able to be seen on black and white TVs. At the time, CINDERELLA was the highest rated show in the history of TV with over 100 million viewers the night it was shown live. They couldn't have achieved that number if your statement was true. There certainly weren't that many color sets around in 1957.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2004, 02:10:12 PM »

Well I like all the extras on the STAR! DVD.  The movie does go on and on, but I like it much better than I did all cut up on television.

I don't think it's the glorious musical that even Robert Wise says he thinks it is.  But the numbers are wonderful, and everybody is on the same page.  All of the men seem to run together and of a type so you can't really be sad or glad that she is with one or the other - BUT the sound (if NOT the picture) is great!

Robin

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2004, 02:10:55 PM »

Favorite Judy Garland song: "The Man That Got Away", hands down.  There's a reason drag queen have been lip-syching that song for the last fifty years, people.  But, let's not get into that today.

My favorite Judy performance: it's a tough call, since there are so many I love, but I'm gonna go with A Star is Born.  It has a resonance and nuance that really resonates and is rife with nuance, especially if you're familiar with her real life.  And it just might be the best movie she's ever been in, IMHO.  (That means "in my humble opinion" for you internet newbies and lurkers...)

Robin

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2004, 02:12:21 PM »

If you've never seen the extras on the deeveedee of A Star is Born, you really need to.  Check out Raymond Burr's date for the premiere.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2004, 02:12:49 PM »

Ah.....the original CBS color system wasn't compatible, but it was discontinued in 1953.

http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Color_Sys_CBS.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 02:13:50 PM by JRand53 »

Robin

« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2004, 02:13:07 PM »

Just doin' my part to get us to the 40,000 mark.

Robin

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2004, 02:15:45 PM »

The Universal Monsters boxed set arrived today.  Cool packaging, great little statuettes.  And really inexpensive, too.

I'm gonna dive into them just as soon as the Significant Other finishes watching today's taped episode of All My Children.  

Oy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2004, 02:17:20 PM »

CINDERELLA was definitely broadcast live in color (for the few people who had color televisions back in 1957). The kinescope is in black and white because they merely focused a camera on a black and white monitor and shot what was coming over the airwaves. Army Archard put out a plea in his column today asking for anyone to give up their color copy if they had one so a broadcast copy could be created. I doubt there is one in existence, and the black and white is certainly OK.

I believe that half of the broadcast has been located in color, and it's my guess that a color film was made of the broadcast to do the west coast broadcast three hours later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2004, 02:18:44 PM »

I forget, how can I see the stats?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up