Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUE GRITS  (Read 94534 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TRUE GRITS
« on: April 28, 2004, 12:00:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes - true?  You're ready to post with true grit and/or grits, you're ready to ask and be asked and to love and be loved, so post away, my pretties, whilst I gird my loins against the smell of the Dead Rodent.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 12:01:47 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:TRUE GRITS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 12:12:26 AM »

Should we be asking questions about John Wayne or Glen Campbell I wonder. Maybe it is a Don Black sort of day. Maybe it is an Elmer Bernstein day.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 12:14:08 AM »

Dear BK: Is there any chance that you might put together a collection of Randy Vicar tales for your follow-up to your mystery novel?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 12:28:57 AM »

What a splendid idea - The Randy Vicar and the Tawdry Tales.  Yes, I think it's a must, and it must include the best story, The Randy Vicar and the Electric Socket.

Now, who in tarnation is jillysbeans?  Come say hello jillysbeans - we love your name.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 12:30:11 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 12:38:29 AM »

And a very happy birthday to our proxy birthday boy, Joe.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 12:40:29 AM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  I'm just biding my time cause that's the kind of Guy I'm.  I'm delaying the visit to the Dead Rodent bedroom for at least another ten minutes.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 12:44:34 AM »

Indeed the very best wishes to Joe for his birthday. May this year be extra special in the absolute most wonderful ways.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 04:56:54 AM »

Good morning, all! I see I'm the only person online right now, but there's no spy count, and I know I'm not alone.  Yesterday morning, I woke up with either a cold or a terrible allergy day:  fuzzy throat, clogged head, and a general feeling of malaise.  I took some allergy/sinus nonsense, but I'm still feeling rather cruddy this morning.  I spent most of the day working on my final Mickey-Judy number and napping.  I did listen to a classic Bollywood CD, courtesy of DR MBarnum, which I enjoyed very much.

Dear Friend BK, I cannot post my solution to the rotting body within your walls, buit was I remotely close?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 05:02:02 AM »

You are still not alone. Ben has been replaced. And I don't mean Ben the rodent in the wall.
There is a definite plot from Salem to have us all addicted to Bollywood it seems.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 05:18:15 AM »

I was replace but I am back. Happiest of birthdays to DR by Proxy, Joe.

No questions at the moment but that may change as the day moves along.

I'm listening right now to Shirley MacLaine in Can Can (Come Along With Me) courtesy of Desmond Carrington on BBC Radio 2.

The rodents in our walls in New York are not dead. Every so often we can hear little scurrying feet late at night but we have plugged up all the various holes in floorboards and under old bathtubs to keep said rodents out of the apartment. We have, how shall I say this, a disturbed individual, living in one of the units of our small building. An individual who collects garbage (literally) and brings it back into her apartment. It's one of those crazy New York apartment stories. Efforts to remove said individual are difficult and usually lead to nothing but frustration. This all leads up to the point that when said individual brings in garbage, she also brings in rodents. But at least they stay in her apartment and in the walls of the building, not in our apartment.

Yuck, what an unseemly topic for so early in the morning.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 05:19:02 AM »

And now, it's Dan-in-Toronto and me. Tom and Elmore have gone on to better things.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 05:20:22 AM »

I actually ate grits a few times. When I was doing Sesame Street Live we toured in parts of the south and I remember getting up early in the morning and going to the local coffee shop and having Grits and Eggs. They weren't half bad. Rather bland, but not bad.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 05:21:41 AM »

Jennifer has joined our merry throng (can 3 be a throng?). Is it still too cold for Spring in Canada? The temperature has dropped in NYC again and today we will be lucky to get into the low 50s. Spring, where are you???

Ben

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 05:22:19 AM »

I am my own posting frenzy. Something I haven't been for quite a while.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 05:25:49 AM »

Oh, BTW, (by the way), I saw Johnny Guitar last night. It's an off-Broadway musicalized version of the film w/Miss Crawford and Miss McCambridge. It's campy fun. I actually had never seen the entire film, only clips at various times so I didn't know the plot. The music has a country feel (obviously, being a western) and there are some funny moments in the show. A nice distraction for the evening (especially since I saw it for free).

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2004, 05:45:50 AM »

Jennifer has joined our merry throng (can 3 be a throng?). Is it still too cold for Spring in Canada? The temperature has dropped in NYC again and today we will be lucky to get into the low 50s. Spring, where are you???

I must still be asleep cause I thought you wrote this in the middle of the night.  And I was like, "I'm not there!" Then I realized it was now and I was here. :)

Oy.

Happy Birthday Joe!  You deserve a great birthday this year.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2004, 05:47:05 AM »

Spring in Toronto? Ha! Actually, I find Toronto is about two weeks behind NYC in the weather/season department.

Bette Davis and Anne Baxter were indeed perfection in All About Eve, but I'm glad Judy Holliday won the Oscar that year. Anne Baxter went on to be too mannered for my taste, but she was superb in The Razor's Edge.

On a drive south I tried grits but couldn't get them down. Gord had no problem with them, or with biscuits and gravy. That is, until he asked why the gravy was so white. (Pork fat and milk.)

DR Ben - what was your involvement in Sesame Street Live?

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2004, 05:47:28 AM »

As for whether it's Spring here, well it changes by the day.  Right now it's like 35F (brrrr) with a high supposedly of about 48F.  But tomorrow apparently it's supposed to be 70F.  So who knows.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2004, 05:51:12 AM »

Re: Last night's American Idol

I really cannot understand where they came up with Gloria Estefan night.  I can understand a broad theme like "movie night".  But I hated every song that was sung last night.  And the only performance I really liked was Diana.

I have no idea who will be in the bottom 3.  I think that Fantasia and LaToya's fans will vote a lot (because of what happened last week).

Ben

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2004, 05:51:47 AM »

I was Oscar the Grouch and when I wasn't sticking my arm up Oscar's "throat" (a Stop the World reference) I was a "wacky" Keystone-type cop running around with my cohorts trying to find Big Bird who had disappeared from Sesame Street.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 05:54:15 AM »

Still procrastinating before starting the workday. Just read up a bit about Anne Baxter and learned that her grandfather was Frank Lloyd Wright.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 06:03:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes - true?  You're ready to post with true grit and/or grits, you're ready to ask and be asked and to love and be loved, so post away, my pretties, whilst I gird my loins against the smell of the Dead Rodent.

Desperately need another cup of coffee before I start working since my eyes just read the above as "Dear Rodent."

td

• td
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2004, 06:09:23 AM »

my ASK BK DAY QUESTION:

Best Possible Cast for THE MOST HAPPY FELLA?
Using the talent pool available right now.
Later we can see dead rodents, I mean use people who have already passed on.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2004, 06:13:23 AM »

Joe - The Happiest of Birthdays!!!

Born April 28:

Joe
Penelope Cruz
Jay Leno
Ann-Margret
Saddam Hussein
Carolyn Jones
Harper Lee
Blossom Dearie
Lionel Barrymore
James Monroe

William E. Lurie

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2004, 06:14:48 AM »

Speaking of Celeste, this week is her 85th Birthday.  There will be a special screening of "Gentleman's Agreement" tomorrow at Town Hall with the birthday girl in attendance as well as Kitty Hart, Greg Peck's son and somebody's daughter.  I don't know if I'll have time to attend, although this is a great film and holds up very well.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2004, 06:27:14 AM »

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS, DR (BY PROXY) JOE!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) [/move]

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2004, 06:41:22 AM »

A question for DR Matt H (or anyone else).

Where does one put the apostrophe in frogs legs? (Sentence: Frogs legs have long been on the menu.)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2004, 07:43:35 AM »

Where does one put the apostrophe in frogs legs? (Sentence: Frogs legs have long been on the menu.)

I would guess that the correct usage would be frogs' legs, assuming that you will be serving/eating the legs of many frogs.  However, if you are familiar with a particular frog, and you were going to eat only his two legs (or three, if it's a mutant), then I suppose you could say frog's legs.  Generally, though, I've seen this item listed on menus as frog legs.

A while back DR Panni mentioned a recently published book, Eats, Shoots and Leaves (I don't recall the author at the mo') that's a straight-forward but fun take on grammar.  I've bought it and scanned through it and it looks interesting.  

(Hmmm...I'm now thinking about a comedy movie or TV show in which some character opens a "Bucket O'Frog Legs" fast food restaurant.  Does this sound familiar with any DRs?)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 07:44:42 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2004, 07:56:18 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOE!!![/move]

Question for BK:  Was the stint on the Dinah Shore variety show your only experience in the genre?  Aside from that particular experience, do you like working in that kind of format?  What were your fav variety shows of all time? (I'd like to hear other DR favs, too.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2004, 08:05:32 AM »

Thanks, Dan (the Man). I heard an interview with the author of Eats Shoots and Leaves (I know the joke that the title is based on, but a filthy version). What really peeved her was the title Two Weeks Notice - which did not include the apostrophe.

I like the "frog legs" solution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up