Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUE GRITS  (Read 94766 times)

Jennifer

Re:TRUE GRITS
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2004, 02:16:34 PM »

Where can I try grits?

I'm serious.

Does someone have a recipe I can try? (or would it be stupid for a novice who has never tasted grits to even try?)

What type of restaurant might serve them?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2004, 02:17:17 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!

Bruce, where did you sleep last night?

Elmore3003 GOOD HEALTH VIBES   

Sandra, how fun.  Did you get any positive reactions?

WEL, for years now, the mother gets to choose if it’s a private adoption.  

Dead Rodent smell is gone! Hoo and Ray!!

SWW good news about Kelsey.

Charles Pogue how is your little dog doing?

Jennifer

« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2004, 02:20:16 PM »

Re: RPL's question about how Jennifer Hudson would have done with salsa night.

I am more impressed with her since she left the show.  I've seen her perform a couple of times (she did a terrific duet with Barry Manilow on Ryan Seacrest's show).  I am so sad that she is gone.

I think she would have done well last night.

A). Because she is one of the only competitors to have started off slowly and improved each week.

B). She probably would have sang something that showcased her voice, over the flashy quick paced numbers LaToya and Fantasia did.

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2004, 02:22:12 PM »

I too loved the Muppet Show. I often wonder if it would seem as funny if I were to watch it again today...but I am guessing the answer might be yes, judging from other DRs reactions to it!

Jane

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2004, 02:23:27 PM »

I hiked in ticksville today and it was also filled with poison oak.  I just pulled a tick out of my neck  as it was about to attach itself to me.  YUCK!.  I sure hope I don’t get poison oak of top of the ticks.  I’m currently washing all my clothes I wore today and Echo’s car blanket in this great product called Tecnu.  But first I washed Echo with it which is probably how I acquired the tick.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2004, 02:26:11 PM »

I think Keith and I enjoyed the Muppets more than our children did. :D

I’m paranoid now and keep feeling things, that aren’t there, crawling all over my body.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2004, 02:28:58 PM »

One of my favorite Muppet Show episodes was with Beverly Sills (a.k.a Bubbles Silverstein).  Fozzy thought that she was Bev Sills, a tap-dancing country and western singer.  Anyway, Bev and the Muppetopolitan Opera Company sang "Pigaletto."  It was a scream!

If I remember the words correctly, this was sung to the tune of the Toreador Song from “Carmen”:
Toreador, en guardé
Toreador, toreador.
This is the only opera that I know
I learned this one in school
We learned the words in French
But even still, we don’t know what it means!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2004, 02:29:16 PM »

Jennifer -- Most grocery stores (probably even the ones in Canada) sell grits. Most often they are found in the same section that has the hot cereals, but I have seen them in the canned vegetable section.  They come in a box and you prepare them the same way as you do hot cereal.  Most people prefer to eat them with lots of butter and salt and pepper, but some of my stranger friends in New Jersey (the Southern end of the state) liked syrup on them.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2004, 02:32:44 PM »

Shall we now discuss scrapple?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2004, 02:33:57 PM »

Ugh, Jane! I understand the feeling. I was attacked by a tick when I was 5 years old. We lived over on Griffin Creek Road (where we had a ditch up above our house on the side of the mountain/hill) and us kids played in the wooded areas and by the creek all the time. Well, one Sunday morning I woke up and a tick had bored it's horrid little way into my throat. I can still remember how sick I felt over it. It was in to far to just pull out and I actually had to go to a doctor and have it cut out. Bleh!

My most vivid memory of the adventure was trying to eat Sunday morning breakfast of pancakes and bacon and thinking that the tick that was imbedded in my throat was going to eat the pancakes as I swallowed them! LOL!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2004, 02:38:03 PM »

Sounds like a BIG movie MBARNUM!

I liked The Muppet Show - especially the ones with Raquel Welch and Liza Minnelli and Julie Andrews.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 02:38:20 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2004, 02:40:47 PM »

Hello!

BK--how exciting about your movie news!  I thought about you today when I was listening to "3hree" for the first time.  The first musical, "The Mice," as you probably know, is about an exterminator and his married girlfriend.  They set mice free in people's houses in order to carry on with their affair.  Maybe there's a randy exterminator in your neighborhood?

(That sounds like it could be a story in your Randy Vicar book..."The Randy Vicar and the Exterminator.")

I love variety shows, although I'm too young to have seen a lot of them.  So my favorites are Carol Burnett (I LOVE watching the re-runs on Nick at Nite), and The Muppet Show.  I watched the latter when I was little, and my favorite episode is of course the one with Merman.  Does anyone remember that?  Watching Merm and Miss Piggy sing "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" was priceless.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 02:42:00 PM by Maya »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2004, 02:41:06 PM »

My favorite recurring segment on The Muppets Show series:

Mine was either the Swedish Chef, or Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, and his able assistant, Beaker.

Not to mention how I laughed at pretty much anything Waldorf and Statler had to say!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2004, 02:41:09 PM »

I hiked in ticksville today and it was also filled with poison oak.  I just pulled a tick out of my neck  as it was about to attach itself to me.  YUCK!.  I sure hope I don’t get poison oak of top of the ticks.  I’m currently washing all my clothes I wore today and Echo’s car blanket in this great product called Tecnu.  But first I washed Echo with it which is probably how I acquired the tick.

DR Jane, thanks for the good vibes, but I send them back to you!  Ticks are awful, and they carry horrible diseases.  Be careful.  We need you and your positive outlook around.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2004, 02:42:44 PM »

Sounds like a BIG movie MBARNUM!

Or a BUG movie!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2004, 02:43:04 PM »

Mine was either the Swedish Chef, or Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, and his able assistant, Beaker.

Not to mention how I laughed at pretty much anything Waldorf and Statler had to say!

I loved Statler and Waldorf, although their jokes were so over the top bad.  

Beaker always kind of scared me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2004, 02:45:21 PM »

Ugh, Jane! I understand the feeling. I was attacked by a tick when I was 5 years old. We lived over on Griffin Creek Road (where we had a ditch up above our house on the side of the mountain/hill) and us kids played in the wooded areas and by the creek all the time. Well, one Sunday morning I woke up and a tick had bored it's horrid little way into my throat. I can still remember how sick I felt over it. It was in to far to just pull out and I actually had to go to a doctor and have it cut out. Bleh!

My most vivid memory of the adventure was trying to eat Sunday morning breakfast of pancakes and bacon and thinking that the tick that was imbedded in my throat was going to eat the pancakes as I swallowed them! LOL!

Mr. Barnum, that story was disgusting.  I am starting to feel all creepy like I have ticks crawling all over me.  In fact, I just looked in the mirror, and I am looking a little green around the gills.  Do you think I might have already contracted Lime's Disease?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2004, 02:45:22 PM »

Hey! Has David Cronenberg suddenly taken over HHW???  :o :o
Dead Rodents in the walls, pancake eating ticks in people's throats, grits... What in tarnation is going on? Let's hope no heads explode.

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2004, 02:46:32 PM »

Beaker always kind of scared me.

LOL Maya! I was picturing a tiny toddler Maya with you eyes becoming huge as you scurry to hide behind a big chair until the segement with Beaker is over

Jay

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2004, 02:52:17 PM »

Let's hope no heads explode.

Oh.  A Max Headroom reference.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2004, 02:52:37 PM »

I thought it was Statler and Hilton.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2004, 03:02:37 PM »

Ask BK Day
[/u][/b]

I have a question for BK, or anyone else that has watched the new DVD of SWEENEY TODD.  A lot of people online have been complaining that the new DVD version has almost completely faded out the audience reactions (applause, laughter) on the DVD.  Did you notice the difference, and if so, do you think it effects the quality of the DVD?  Do you think it is something that they might correct any time soon?

I've read the reports - I still have the laser so I'll do a comparison later - the audience reaction on the DVD is barely audible, which I did find strange and not what I remember.

Jane

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2004, 03:03:06 PM »

Elmore3003 you are so sweet thanks, especially for reminding I might catch something, like Lyme Disease from them. LOL

MBarnum I have never heard of anyone having to have a tick cut out of them.  I hope it wasn’t as big as the “biggest tick I have ever seen” I once pulled off Echo-yuck, yuck, yuck. Just crawling on me is bad enough.  Keith came home and checked me for ticks and couldn’t find anymore.  Then he pulled off a good number from Echo and said “WHERE DID YOU GO”.  BTW we went to Enchanted Forest in the Applegate.  Do you know it?

I had to take a break & go remove more ticks from Echo.  One had just burrowed into a very sensitive spot on her underside and I had difficulty removing it.

We speak of such charming things here, dead rodents and ticks to name a couple.  I don’t even want to mention Jennifer’s live frog question. :P

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2004, 03:04:15 PM »

Aughghghghghgh!

I just got an e-mail from Rhino Handmade telling me three of their limited titles are now sold out.

And for the first time, a soundtrack has SOLD OUT!

And are you ready for it?

Really READY for it?

REALLY really ready for it?

It's.....

...it's.....

........it's "Lucy MAME"!!!!!!

I SWEAR TO GOODNESS!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 03:06:02 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2004, 03:04:50 PM »

Who'd a thunk it!??!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 03:05:23 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2004, 03:04:52 PM »

LOL Panni.  I didn't see your post while I was off removing more of those things.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2004, 03:05:25 PM »

You won't believe who I just got off the phone with.  Benjamin Kritzer.  Yes, you heard it here, dear readers, I just had a conversation with Benjamin Kritzer.

I'd gotten an e-mail from Mr. Mark Bakalor saying that Mr. Kritzer had contacted us and would like to talk to me.  I called him.  Turns out he was nosing around the Internet and saw the book.  He bought it and loved it and wanted to tell me so.  He also bought some t-shirts and hats.  He didn't know about the other two books, which he's now going to purchase.  He's four years older than me, but he totally identified with everything, despite having grown up on the other coast.  His name is also pronounced Kreyetzer rather than Kritzer (it).  Isn't that funny?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2004, 03:06:37 PM »

DR MBarnum - OK - A tick (tic - ?) in your throat!?!?!? Ewwww!!!!!  *Of course, I still remember during my one and only visit to the Philippines when I was six years old - even though we slept underneath mosquito netting, we were still told to make sure we slept with our mouths closed so that cockroaches would not go in our mouths while we slept.  EEEWWW!!!!!!!!

DR elmoore3003 - La Cantatrice Chauve is my favorite Ionesco.  I still remember a wonderful "touring" production that I saw while I was in college.

DR Jay - Did you say scrapple?  YUMMERS!!!  I know I shouldn't like it - well, love it - but I do.  I remember the first time I tried it was when I was working summers for Coast Guard HQ in DC.  The cafeteria would serve it on biscuits or toast.  So good and salty.  I still keep meaning to make it up to Philly to try to the more "famous" types at the markets and restaurants up there.  *And the Aunt Sarah's Pancake House chain in Richmond - and elsewhere - actually deep fries(!) their scrapple after coating it lightly in flour.  Wonderfully crispy - if untraditional.

OK - Time for the show...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2004, 03:07:22 PM »

You aren't teasing-great story. :)

Jay

« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2004, 03:10:06 PM »

And the Aunt Sarah's Pancake House chain in Richmond - and elsewhere - actually deep fries(!) their scrapple after coating it lightly in flour.  Wonderfully crispy - if untraditional.

Mmmmm.  Deep fried breaded fat.  Nummers.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up