Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAST OF APRIL  (Read 89857 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE LAST OF APRIL
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2004, 04:16:40 PM »

It's really hard to tell who is singing in Grease 2 because the soundtrack is so wretchedly overproduced and overprocessed and overreverbed.  Horrid.  There is so much difference from when they're speaking just before a musical number begins and then the musical number it's like someone had put on a tape - oh, wait, that's what they did.  Jarring and terrible.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2004, 04:16:55 PM »

Love page six.

François de Paris

« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2004, 04:23:15 PM »

Hello, DRJennifer!

DRPanni, you do crack me up!
Putting "on a show" for your daughter!!
It was not BIG FISH, but THE BIG SLEEP for you...

I have to be careful not to go to movies in the afternoon during digestion -- "mine"! -- ; I tend to fall asleep... which I hate, mainly if the flick is good!
Old age -- for me! -- I guess!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2004, 04:25:24 PM »

LOL I think in interviews Michelle has said she did her own singing.  She was a bit surprised to find herself in the movie as just a couple of weeks before she had been working as a grocery checker!

LOL TOMOVOZ and Jennifer.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2004, 04:33:58 PM »

I would guess Michelle Pfeiffer did her own singing, unless she was also dubbed in THE FABULOUS BAKER BROTHERS.

I also had heard/read that Michelle did her own singing...for the most part.  After THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS (not Brothers) was released, Michelle wanted to make a CD of her own.  The people who recorded (and fixed) her singing voice for the movie soundtrack played her the unedited recordings and Michelle realized that it wouldn't be a good idea. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2004, 04:40:38 PM »

Can hardly wait for Rhino to bring out THAT soundtrack....maybe they could put GREASE 2 on as an extra!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2004, 05:00:47 PM »

I too like The Royal Family.  I've hesitated to go see this one because I heard it did not get particularly good reviews.  I also saw it in the fall of 2001 at The Haymarket Theatre in London in a wonderful production directed by my favourite director,Sir Peter Hall, starring Judi Dench as the matriarch, supported by an all-star cast:  Harriet Walter (Harriet Vane in the Edward Petherbridge Lord Peter Whimseys); Peter Bowles (Rumpole and To the Manor Born); Peter Blythe (also of Rumpole); Toby Stephens (son of Robert Stephens and Maggie Smith) in the Jack Barrymore role; Julia MacKenzie (one of the leading British interpreters of Sondheim and part of the original creative team that did Side By Side By Sondheim in both London and NY); and the redoubtable Philip Voss (who has done many a great role at the National and RSC).  It would be hard to top for me.  I've also seen the lovely Ellis Rabb version.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2004, 05:10:10 PM »

JoseSPiano I’m glad you are taking such good care of yourself.

When GODS AND MONSTERS came out I read a review saying the obsession for Brendon Fraser  wasn’t believable since Brendon wasn’t attractive or appealing.  I could only thing WHAT AN  IDIOT.

Tomovoz

« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2004, 05:15:09 PM »

Agreed Jane. The camera loves Brendon Fraser. He has star charisma and can act as well. "Gods and Monsters" was brilliant as was his performance.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2004, 05:16:02 PM »

We had a delightful call from our older son.  I have caught up with all the posts and now it's time to feed Bogie.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2004, 05:24:43 PM »

I know we don't often bring the ugly real world to this pleasant place... But sometimes one has to take note and scream. So Sinclair broadcasting is refusing to run tonight's Nightline on eight ABC affiliates (some fairly major ones) because they say that the show and Ted Koppel are "undermining the war effort"  and "using the airwaves for political subterfuge" by... reading the names and showing the pictures of 523 service men and women killed in action in Iraq! Yeah, I'd say that's downright treason. The mind boggles.

Tomovoz

« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2004, 05:29:24 PM »

I thought you lived in the "land of the free". Your media seems so censored and so insular at times.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2004, 05:31:59 PM »

MBarnum. I am about to investigate the "new" CDs. Bollywood here I come.
Not surprised at the reviews of "Bombay Dreams". I couldn't get through the DVD of "the making of" and the Cd of the show is deadly dull. The film tracks from Bollywood have so much more life.
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2004, 05:37:38 PM »

DRPanni,

American Deaths in Iraq
Since war began:   738

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2004, 05:44:28 PM »

I had a very interesting phone conversation with my 83 year old father last night.  When I was in college and protesting the Vietnam situation, my father, a WW2 navy vet,  had a heavy "my country right or wrong" attitude, and at one point he threw me and my friends out of "his" house for wearing black arm bands after the Kent State shootings!  Well, he's done a complete reversal, hates the Irag conflict, and wants the US out of there.  I was very proud of him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2004, 05:44:38 PM »

I too like The Royal Family.  I've hesitated to go see this one because I heard it did not get particularly good reviews.  I also saw it in the fall of 2001 at The Haymarket Theatre in London in a wonderful production directed by my favourite director,Sir Peter Hall, starring Judi Dench as the matriarch, supported by an all-star cast:  Harriet Walter (Harriet Vane in the Edward Petherbridge Lord Peter Whimseys); Peter Bowles (Rumpole and To the Manor Born); Peter Blythe (also of Rumpole); Toby Stephens (son of Robert Stephens and Maggie Smith) in the Jack Barrymore role; Julia MacKenzie (one of the leading British interpreters of Sondheim and part of the original creative team that did Side By Side By Sondheim in both London and NY); and the redoubtable Philip Voss (who has done many a great role at the National and RSC).  It would be hard to top for me.  I've also seen the lovely Ellis Rabb version.

My sister, niece and I were in London in December 2001 and we ALMOST went to see this!  We decided on "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" with the aforementioned Brendan Fraser and Francis O'Connor because my niece really was a fan of Francis O'Connor.  A missed opportunity. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2004, 05:50:16 PM »

Well, after my huge cat with frog hat last night, let's see how this does for DR MBarnum!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2004, 05:54:32 PM »

I think he is sexiest in THE MUMMY.

MBarnum

« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2004, 05:54:35 PM »

Good Tom, I want a full report...particularly on Lucky Ali!

Media Check:
VHS: A NIGHT AT THE CIRCUS and ROOM SERVICE taped off of TCM.

DVD: DYNAMITE a B movie starring Richard Crane and Virginia Welles about 2 dynamite blasters in love with the same woman.

CD: CDs of Eurovision from Tomovoz and Rodgers and Hart and Cole Porter CDs from Elmore3003.

And the Bollywood movie for this weekend is ANDPAHD. a 1962 melodrama about a crippled girl who marries a man who despises her. Not to worry, however, as I am 100% sure it will have a happy ending and lots of music! LOL!

It stars the ever hunky Dharmendra, the beautiful Mala Sinha, and the lovely Mumtaz.

Jane

« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2004, 05:59:15 PM »

Monday May 10th is the best morning for us to have breakfast at Du-Par’s.  Bruce and Panni, is that a good day for you?  Elmore are you sure you can’t join us?  

I only said Bruce, Panni and elmore because they were the only ones who responded to my question to meet at Du-Par’s.  I also believe Bruce & Panni are the only ones, who live in L.A., who read my question.

François de Paris

« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2004, 06:15:14 PM »

DRElmore,

The French saying is:

Il n'y a que les imbéciles qui ne changent pas d'avis!

(avis=opinion)

François de Paris

« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2004, 06:17:50 PM »

Yes, DRJane but he does not show as much flesh!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2004, 06:18:46 PM »

That should be fine, Jane, you just have to keep reminding me as I have become senile.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2004, 06:26:35 PM »

The dates's fine for me, too, Jane. I also may need a reminder -- not because I'm senile, but because... ah... I forget why.
(I'll put it in my daybook. Problem is that sometimes I forget to look in my daybook.)

td

• td
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2004, 06:26:36 PM »

I didn't mind Ms. Lange being photographed the way she was in BIG FISH, but, did we really HAVE TO SEE DANNY DEVITO'S ASS photographed so spectacularly? ? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2004, 06:27:36 PM »

Bruce do you still have my cell phone number?

The big question will be, Farmer's Market or the Valley.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 06:28:33 PM by Jane »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2004, 06:31:14 PM »

Monday May 10th is the best morning for us to have breakfast at Du-Par’s.  Bruce and Panni, is that a good day for you?  Elmore are you sure you can’t join us?  

Sob!  No!  I love Du-Par's!  Come to New York and visit me!

Robin

« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2004, 06:32:03 PM »

Ooo, now I want some pepperoni and mushroom pizza... my favorite kind!

OK...what are the DR's favorite pizza toppings?  

Personally, I've always had a fondness for anchovies, olives, garlic, and really spicy sausage.

One of the local joints serves a pineapple and coconut 'za that's to die for...utterly dee-lish!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2004, 06:32:17 PM »

DRElmore,

The French saying is:

Il n'y a que les imbéciles qui ne changent pas d'avis!

(avis=opinion)

I just know I've got a mind to change.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2004, 06:32:23 PM »

Studio City is the only REAL Du-Par's left.  Farmer's Market has gone to rack and to ruin.

You'll have to e me your cell again.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up