Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TRA LA, TRA LA, THE LUSTY MONTH OF MAY  (Read 78156 times)

MBarnum

Re:TRA LA, TRA LA, THE LUSTY MONTH OF MAY
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2004, 12:38:23 PM »

Robin, as a fellow fan of BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS I must alert you to Cynthia Myer's website. You can send her an e-mail and she seems to enjoy responding to fan mail! She is a very sweet lass!

www.cynthiamyers.com

She says that Criterion is working on a DVD, and it looks like cast members might be contributing to if for commentary or interviews! I for one am very excited, particularly if they can dig up David Gurian!! What a hottie!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 12:42:17 PM by MBarnum »

François de Paris

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2004, 12:53:53 PM »

OMG!... as they say in the US of A!

That Brent Barrett picture looks like it's from EXCALIBUR and not Camelot!
Very impressive!

I'd like to see a stage version of COLETTE COLLAGE!
Someone produced a cast recording album of it -- forgot the name <wink!> -- with orchestrations by our own DRElmore... and it's faboo!
The cast is fantastic, and the 2 Judies and Mr Jason G. are terrific..
BTW -- by the way, in internet lingo -- I have 2 copies of such cd and one is longing for adoption... Anyone interested?

Congratulations to the parents and "welcome" to baby Maegan Estelle... a future Broadway Baby i'm sure!

Back to reading all of your posts!............

François de Paris

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2004, 01:06:43 PM »

DRTomovoz,

I did see the original production of THE GOOD COMPAGNIONS back in 1975, with -- they were on the stage, not next to me!! -- Judi Dench -- before she became Dame -- John Mills -- before he became Sir --, Christopher Gable after he had danced with Twiggy and vivacious Marty Webb.........

The opening number, as I recall, was stunning... because the actors were singing and dancing with their BACKS to us since we -- the audience were supposed to be the back of some stage!
Marvellous souvenir of when i was.... much younger ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2004, 01:32:39 PM »

Watching 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2004, 01:51:06 PM »

Hearty congrats to Mr. Mark B. and family!

Shows I'd like to see: MACK AND MABEL - I read it several times when I was going to write a movie about Mabel (for Liza M.) which fell through. So I feel like I've seen it, but actually haven't.

I've never seen A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC or FOLLIES on stage.

Haven't seen COMPANY since I saw it decades ago in Toronto in a touring production with George Chakiris. Want to see it again.

A comedy called 42 SECONDS FROM BROADWAY which lasted about that long even though it starred a young actor named Henry Winkler.

I'll think about others...

Panni

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2004, 01:54:17 PM »

A thought about PORGY AND BESS... I've always liked Sidney Poitier, but what I was most impressed by in the film was the way he listens -- which is so much of what good acting is all about.
In one scene, he's just watching Bess with the baby. Not one word of dialogue from him. But the way he looks at her speaks volumes about love, happiness, contentment -- of finding the person he's been waiting for his whole life. Just beautiful.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 01:55:34 PM by Panni »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2004, 02:09:08 PM »

DR Panni,

I saw the same touring production of Company, and felt it did not do the show justice. But also at the Royal Alex theatre I saw a marvelous production of A Little Night Music starring Jean Simmons, though for much of the audience the most recognizable star was Margaret Hamilton as her mother.

I was lucky to see Follies in New York. It had just opened, and I was able to get an excellent seat for its first matinee. I left the Winter Garden theatre entranced and thought the show would run forever. The next morning I read Walter Kerr's less than ecstatic review, and could not believe he was writing about the same show that had taken my breath away.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2004, 02:11:29 PM »

Elmore, I think it was you who mentioned a Chinese restaurant in NY with good bean curd.  Not that it was actually a vegetarian restaurant.  If I can get to NY in October to see my nieces, and also meet you and the rest of the NY HWW gang, I doubt Keith will be with me.

Yes! DR Jane, yes!  It was Ollie's.  They have fantastic "country style bean curd," which I love and great dim sum and wonton.  Let's do it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2004, 02:27:51 PM »

Guess I have been lucky! I've seen quite good productions of all the Sondheim shows (musicals)except. "Saturday Night", "Bounce" and "The Frogs".
Would love to see a few more Kander & Ebb shows:
"Zorba", "70 Girls 70", "Steel Pier", "Flora.." and "Over and Over"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2004, 02:43:14 PM »

I had tickets to see NICK & NORA two days later than the day that it closed.   :'(
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2004, 02:54:31 PM »

td: Was it your good self that gave "Whale Rider" such a good review? I thought it was very good indeed. Terrific performance by a young actress.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2004, 02:55:16 PM »

I really would like to see a good production of Lady in the Dark, but feminists today would be screaming about the ending, I'm sure.

Actually, I don't see the problem, since she ends up deciding to make what's-hiz-name the co-editor, an equal partnership.  Only one line would need to be dropped:  "And maybe some day I'll step aside and..."

On the other hand, even in its original incarnation the ending of Applause turned off many women I knew at the time.  Sure, "a woman is unfulfilled without a husband and a baby and a kitchen full of lasagne" worked in All About Eve, but in a different era...  I always thought the logical ending to  Applause was for Margot to take that part she had been offered as somebody's grandmother--finally coming to terms with her age and that she could still be a star without being the ingenue.  Of course, "There's Something Better" would have to be rewritten.

Who am I, David Henry Hwang, all of a sudden, wanting to write revisals of everything?

And by the bye,

CONGRATULATIONS, MR. MARK BAKALOR AND WIFE ON YOUR NEW ARRIVAL!!!

And let me add the news that our lovely niece Andrea and her partner Debby are the proud parents of a daughter Cody, who arrived last Sunday, just three days before my Joe and Andrea's common birthday.  [Nothing common about it!]  You remember, Andrea is the one who used to protest, "Uncle Joe, I am not a lesbian!"
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2004, 03:05:56 PM »

Added to our collection, having found a used CD/DVD store downtown:

Edward Scissorhands, in widescreen.  (Been looking for this for a while.)

Dracula - the Legacy Collection with all the other films.  At some point, the grandlads are going to need this kind of stuff.  Heck, they're almost seven and four, seems like now would be about right.   ;D :o :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »

Speaking of Dracula, I don't know about anyone else but I used to regularly watch these films on Saturday afternoon television.  I'd guess I was somewhere between ten to fifteen.  There were the good ol' horror movies, and the good ol' comedies (like Abbot and Costello or Red Skelton).  Then at about five they'd show some of the Avengers episodes.  The whole family would gather round, with cheese and crackers, sodas for myself and sister, stronger drinks for my parents.

Do they even show these films when kids would be watching these days?  In a family-friendly environment?  Or are they considered too dangerous for youngsters?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2004, 03:14:40 PM »

Actually, I don't see the problem, since she ends up deciding to make what's-hiz-name the co-editor, an equal partnership.  Only one line would need to be dropped:  "And maybe some day I'll step aside and..."
I will admit, I've had to bite my tongue a few times, to avoid calling any supervisor I've had who didn't like being called Mister "Boss Lady" instead.

And let me add the news that our lovely niece Andrea and her partner Debby are the proud parents of a daughter Cody, who arrived last Sunday, just three days before my Joe and Andrea's common birthday.  [Nothing common about it!]  You remember, Andrea is the one who used to protest, "Uncle Joe, I am not a lesbian!"
Clearly, she was waiting until she found someone she could be called Lesbians instead.  There's something to be said about being part of a plural.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2004, 03:16:39 PM »

Have not decided what on DVD I'll be enjoying tonight. There's a fair amount to choose from.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2004, 03:17:04 PM »

I need to find something to snack on.  We're doing more cabaret stuff tonight, and I need something to de-peckish me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2004, 03:20:33 PM »

I've never seen A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC or FOLLIES on stage.

Haven't seen COMPANY since I saw it decades ago in Toronto in a touring production with George Chakiris. Want to see it again.

You can see A Little Night Music this July at the L.A. Opera and Reprise! (dang that exclamation point!) is doing Company later this month, so you will no longer have an excuse in either case, Dear Reader Panni!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 03:20:58 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2004, 03:21:48 PM »

Pretzels

Jay

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2004, 03:24:48 PM »

I have returned, quite obviously, and can see page 2 of today's column.  Thank you, Dear Readers Dan-In-Toronto and JRand53 for coming to my rescue.

Confidential to Dan-In-Toronto:  Who's your astrologer and can I kiss his/her hand?

td

• td
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2004, 03:34:10 PM »

td: Was it your good self that gave "Whale Rider" such a good review? I thought it was very good indeed. Terrific performance by a young actress.

Yes, that would have been me!  I enjoyed this film immensely on dvd.  I also thought that the script was a remarkable look at adolescence - - not that I can remember mine, too long ago.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2004, 03:35:57 PM »

On the topic o' the day:

Some musicals I would really, really, really (that is three reallys) like to see that to date have somehow eluded me:

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Pacific Overtures

Merrily We Roll Along

The Boys from Syracuse

Mack and Mabel

In the play department, I have never seen Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, and would like to, with a killer cast.

As for movies, I keep a loooooooong list of movies that I've never seen that I'd like to see that I take with me when I go Blockbuster.  It's embarrassing to list--for this crowd--some of the flix I've yet to lay eyes on:

The Maltese Falcon

The Manchurian Candidate

Breakfast at Tiffany's

The Janet Gaynor A Star is Born

The Irene Dunn Showboat

Humoresque

A Farewell to Arms

Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?  (Again!)

And of more recent vintage:

Amelie

Cider House Rules
(I've been to the location where it was shot)

Dead Man Walking

Thelma and Louise

Shrek

Monsters, Inc.

And the list goes on and on and on.  You'd think I wasn't devoted to the art of cinema!

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2004, 03:43:01 PM »

I guess we should be listing the operas we would like to see Jay. Can't do it. That gene thing again.
I've yet to see "E.T." (Not the opera!)
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2004, 03:43:40 PM »

Got my Collector' Choice Music Catalog.....all three of the Joanie Sommers CD's are on sale for 7.95 each!

And I understand:  The Essential Bing Crosby, The Essential Frank Sinatra, and EVEN The Essential Donovan, BUT The Essential Ricky Skaggs?  The Essential Eddie Money?  The Essential Joe Diffie?

All good artists, but is ANY of their work essential?  I don't know....I just don't know.  Of course, I am waiting for someone to bring out The Essential Allison Hayes on DVD....

Panni

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2004, 03:46:12 PM »

WFO -  Congratulations on grand-niece, Cody! 8)

Jay

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2004, 03:55:18 PM »

I guess we should be listing the operas we would like to see Jay. Can't do it. That gene thing again.
I've yet to see "E.T." (Not the opera!)

Ya know, I meant to include opera on my list.  There's one standard repertory piece (well, a standard repertory piece at any opera house with gazillions of dollars and a roster of world-class singers), the score of which I quite enjoy, that I've never seen:  Wagner's Tannhauser.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2004, 03:59:06 PM »

Yes! DR Jane, yes!  It was Ollie's.  They have fantastic "country style bean curd," which I love and great dim sum and wonton.  Let's do it.

It’s a date.  Now all I have to do is get to New York in October.

Ben

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2004, 04:04:03 PM »

DR Jane, there are many vegetarian restaurants all over New York and one of them is called Zen Palate. It's Asian (meaning more than just Chinese). It's excellent. There is more than one location but there is one near me on 16th Street and Park Avenue South, just across from Union Square Park.

HAPPY THOUGHTS AND CONGRATS TO MR. BAKALOR AND NEW BABY!!! YEAH!!! HOO AND RAY!!!

Would love to see a fully staged Anyone Can Whistle. I saw a concert version benefit for GMHC in 1995 (I think) and as BK said, even though I know there are problems I would like to see it. I would also like to see How Now Dow Jones. I know it's not very good, but I remember hearing the cast recording years ago and enjoying it. It was one of the very first cast recordings I ever remember hearing.

We are off to a party tonight so I'm checking out. Later, gaters.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2004, 04:06:54 PM »

WFO CONGRATULATIONS on your new grand-niece.

Ben, then I will let you and elmore decide which restaurant we shall meet at.  Now I'm getting very hungry.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 04:07:35 PM by Jane »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2004, 04:23:55 PM »

I'm back and to prove it, I'm here.  Did lots of errands today, plus stopped by our very own Pogue's home environment where he was having his annual Kentucky Derby do.  I arrived and stayed just long enough to place a small wager and watch the race.  And guess what?  I won.  Smarty Jones - I knew when I looked at that name it was the winner.  Hoo and ray - won me some small cash.

I have both adaware and spybot and wouldn't be without them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up