Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CINCO DE MUSTARD  (Read 95797 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:CINCO DE MUSTARD
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2004, 11:57:48 AM »

MattH, if the likes of Gershwin, Porter, etc or Big Band era music means nothing to the audience the network covets, then I'm mystified why they go through the exercise at all...

Why don't they just have them sing the pop top-forty crap week after week that their audience listens to?  That would certainly make it easier on me.  I wouldn't have to tune in then (though with this dubious crop of talent this year, they're making that easier and easier to do each week.  I doubt I'll be around for season four).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2004, 11:58:06 AM »

I stand by my comments.  

Simon "damned" LaToya with the Broadway slur last night.  No matter how he said it was "good," he meant it as a slur.

Simon is an ass.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2004, 12:02:10 PM »

Panni,

Sorry - I meant to ask does your "ex" m-i-l live in Dildo?

I've since added an "x" - now it looks like a roman numeral.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2004, 12:02:55 PM »

I was told that during previews he was being fed almost every line plus blocking cues. One would hope things would be sinking in now from constant repetition. It was obvious to all that he has put very little work into the production compared to his illustrious co-stars.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2004, 12:15:44 PM »

DR Jennifer, I know I have never seen O.C...but I did meet the sister of Adam Brody (I think that is his name) who used to be on that show. My neice Megan goes to school (U of 0) with Adam's sister and she brought her to my mom's birthday party on Saturday. Adam is now on The Gilmore Girls which is another show I have never seen. His sister (whose name escapes me) is heading down to Los Angeles soon to begin her acting career. She is adorable and was a lot of fun to talk to.

I don't really watch any talk shows. When I was a kid I watched Mike Douglas and Dinah Shore a lot...then later I watched Donohue and Oprah. But I can't recall the last time I watched a talk show in recent years.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2004, 12:22:11 PM »

RLP, Simon is not an ass.  He is one of the main reasons people watch the show.

Ben

« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2004, 12:24:19 PM »

Sometimes if I'm surfing and happen across Ellen I will watch for a while. The same with Oprah. I don't watch (or tape since I work during the day and sleep at night)  any of the others. Though I do really enjoy The Daily Show when I see it. It's funny and intelligent and John Stewart has the right amount of attitude for the presentation.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2004, 12:29:16 PM »

Talk shows.....which are now, as has been spoken about here, promotion fests...but I used to like The Jack Paar Show, The Merv Griffin Show (syndicated), and in the summer time waiting for the afternoon movie to start, I would watch Virginia Graham and Girl Talk.  Mike Douglas was okay but it was certainly ALL ABOUT MIKE (Merv at least acted interested in his guests and asked good questions), Mike had one co-host for a week all five shows, so sometimes it got a bit boring, especially when he "sang."

MBARNUM had a brush with greatness at the party....the gang from THE OC were on MADtv last Saturday night.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2004, 12:29:18 PM »

FS Pogue - I behave "properly" not for grannie, but for me. Why should I behave as badly as she does? I don't give a flying fig what she thinks about me. I DO care about what I think about me, though.

I completely agree with you! :)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2004, 12:32:21 PM »

I sometimes watched Canadian talk shows if there was an interviewee of interest. Do any other Canadian DRs remember Dini Petty? She spoke out of the side of her mouth (literally; as in Eugene Levy in Best in Show having two left feet), and that was the least of her problems. She was loud and poorly prepared. And she once used the term "hymie" to describe someone as "cheap."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 12:41:04 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2004, 12:45:27 PM »

DR Jennifer, I know I have never seen O.C...but I did meet the sister of Adam Brody (I think that is his name) who used to be on that show. My neice Megan goes to school (U of 0) with Adam's sister and she brought her to my mom's birthday party on Saturday. Adam is now on The Gilmore Girls which is another show I have never seen.

Okay I'm sure nobody cares but you got the shows reversed.  Adam Brody (who currently plays Seth Cohen on The OC) was on Gilmore Girls LAST season (as Rory's best friend's boyfriend Dave).

But he has shot to stardom this season playing Seth on The OC.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2004, 12:46:38 PM »

Did anyone see the ad for 42nd Street, featuring Shirely Jones and Patrick Cassidy? Patrick has certainly inherited his dad's dashing looks. The resemblance between father and son is remarkable.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2004, 12:47:58 PM »

I think you've misinterpreted my post - or perhaps it was not clearly worded. Why would I think he was speaking for me? He was expressing HIS viewpoint and I was expressing MINE. He told me what his beliefs are and I told him what mine are.

Which is how I read it.  

This is an interesting dicussion.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 12:48:41 PM by Jane »

Ben

« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2004, 12:53:04 PM »

Haven't seen the ad DIT but I did meet the stage manager of 42nd Street over the weekend and she said that both Mother and Son are delightful, friendly and easy to work with. I've enjoyed Mr. Cassidy since I first remember seeing him in Long Time Companion (one of my favorite early 90s movies, oh what a tear jerker).

Jane

« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2004, 12:58:05 PM »

Happy birthday and welcome HolyLynn.

MBarnum great welcome sign.

I’m tired, didn’t sleep much and am a bit stressed getting ready for L.A.  I think this has delayed my reactions, but suddenly I’m giggling at the thought of Charles Pogue needing Bruce or anyone to come to his defense.  Charles I hope you take that as a compliment. :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2004, 01:01:51 PM »

Patrick and our own hunky Brent Barrett shared that special moment on their soap opera in LONGTIME COMPANION. For me, it was one of the most memorable moments in that wonderful film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2004, 01:01:55 PM »

Did anyone see the ad for 42nd Street, featuring Shirely Jones and Patrick Cassidy? Patrick has certainly inherited his dad's dashing looks. The resemblance between father and son is remarkable.

Interesting, I haven’t seen either of the Cassidy boys in awhile, but I always thought Patrick looked like his mother.  I do recall the first time I saw David, without knowing, that he must be his father’s son.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2004, 01:02:30 PM »

Just got finished listening to BOUNCE.It is not the greatest of scores from Sondheim. However,even a good score by this man is better than most. Not a Great score but a wonderful one IMHO.

Jennifer

« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »

I want to hear BOUNCE! :(

When I was much younger, I used to have pictures of Sean Cassidy in my room.  He was my hunk of choice (I guess it must have been the late 70s?).

HollyLynn

« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2004, 01:07:55 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes.  I just polished off a piece of spice cake with a side of coffee ice cream.  Very yummy!

Some of you asked about me so here goes...I am offically thirty-one years old and have loved all things realted to theatre--musical and otherwise--since I can remember.  I graduated from college with a theatre degree and ended up as adminstrator at a community college.  Go figure!

My American Idol take--(I typically hate reality shows, but I'm hooked on AI) As I was watching last night's show, I was wishing that Jennifer Hudson was still around.  However, I thought Fantasia and La Toya were great and Diana has a fighting chance.

Cheers  ;D

HollyLynn

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2004, 01:08:12 PM »

I don't get to watch normal talk shows in the afternoon.  Der Brucer keeps the televisions (yes, plural) tuned to FoxNews.  They don't talk like normal people, they argue.  Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2004, 01:17:17 PM »

Matt---
I thought I saw something in Puffy's ear.  The show was not miked, so I knew it couldn't have been that.  Now it makes sense.

By the way, ASSASSINS has been held over till October.  It can't stay much longer because B D Wong in PACIFIC OVERTURES is coming next and they need time in between to remove the cabaret seating and put in actual theatre seats.  I don't know if the whole cast will remain, although I assume most of them will.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2004, 01:26:24 PM »

Good afternoon all
Now I want Mexican food.  I went to a mexican place in Tacoma the other day that I'd never been to before...had the most delish taco salad.  Very yum.  I could use one of those right now...ah well, I'm stuck with my tomato soup

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2004, 01:28:13 PM »

A little known fact about me...I used to watch Ricki Lake...a long time ago.  Also would tune into Rosie ODonnell once in a while.  And, god this is embarassing..I've been known to get hooked on those "who is the real father" things they have on Maury.  Sad, I know...I hang my head in shame.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2004, 01:31:46 PM »

In my Geology class today, I will get to see two girls do an interpretive dance about the Geologic time scale.

Reminds me of a scene from The New U., the 1984 spoof of campus life for which I wrote the songs.  A student, late with her assignment, presents her essay on the Odyssey accompanied by an interpretive dance.
Now, is life imitating art?

BK question: Why don't the films you made turn up on the countless TV stations that show movies?  I'm not being snarky with this; I truly want to see them!

A happy birthday to George.  I'm celebrating by seeing Bye Bye Birdie at Encores!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 01:40:50 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2004, 01:41:23 PM »

I'm back on the job hunt circuit again.  The big opportunity where everyone in the store wanted me hired went bust when the powers that be brought in a new store manager, who not only didn't want to see me, didn't even have the courtesy to come out and meet me herself to say so when I dropped by.

Another bleh.

But I've got some good feelers out as of today.

The one bad feeler was from the Disney Store Outlet, where I was told that a) along with the job application, I would have to fill out info on a credit check - for a part time sales job?  Talk about overkill, no wonder the Disney Store is having problems.  And b) I would have to shave off my beard.  No matter that I've been facially follicled for over twenty years, and off and on before that.  The reasoning given is that "All the Disney villians have facial hair, and they frighten children."

Time for a rant.

Uh, let's see now.  In Snow White, the villian does NOT have facial hair, except for one or two coming out of a mole, while six out of the seven heroes are fuzz-faced.  In Pinocchio, Stromboli has a beard, but Gepetto has a moustache.  But the Coachman is cleanshaven.

Bambi is notable for everyone having fur on the faces, even the women.

OK, Captain Hook has a scraggly moustache.  But the King and Grand Duke in Cinderella have full moustaches, and they're good guys.  Same can be said of Jim Dear, Tony and Joe, in Lady and the Tramp.  Sleeping Beauty's King Stefan and King Hubert are on the good side, both bearded, while Maleficent is not and is not.

Jasper and Horace Badun are clean-shaven.  Merlin's beard reaches to his toes.  Mr. Snoops almost has a moustache, but barely, while the husband who (with his wife) adopts Penny has a full moustache.  It isn't until we get to Fox and Hound that the villian, Amos Slade, has a full moustache, the first such outcropping on a villian since Stromboli.

More recently: Basil is "clean-shaven" (or as best a mouse can manage), while Dr. Dawson has a full moustache, as does Hiram Flaversham.  Ratigan, meanwhile, has a five-o-clock shadow, not a beard.  Sykes is clean-shaven.  King Triton has a beard, the best we've seen since Merlin, while Louis, the chef, has a thin whisp of a moustache.  Percival McLeach is clean-shaven, as is Gaston, while the Beast is magnificently beasty.  The Sultan has a full beard, Jafar a scraggly crinkle, and where would Genie be without his goatee?

Frollo?  Bare.  Phoebus?  Nice tuft on his chin.  Zeus is full-furred, Hades can't even brag about a singe of hair on his chin.  Claton?  Measley little bits of moustache, hardly worth mentioning.  Both Tarzan and Jane's fathers have woofy staches, though.

By the way, my favorite Disney hero, Johnny Appleseed, starts out clean-shaven, but as he ages and plants his apple trees, his beard gets longer and longer.  And I've always loved his Guardian Angel's moustache.

Rough translation: The Disney Store is full of beans with their notion about who has beards and moustaches and who doesn't.

And let's not forget that Walt himself had a moustache.  But not as full a moustache as most of his heroes or good guys.  Hmmmm...let's think about this one, this could be suspicious...

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2004, 01:44:37 PM »

When Sara Lazarus and I work together, the rehearsal instantly stops the moment a performer sings a wrong note.  If they're slightly sharp or slightly flat, pitchy in any direction, Sara or I inform the singer and, soon enough, the problem goes away.  Some times, this can be quite frightening.  Someone who has only thirty minutes left to get acting and blocking notes will be stopped for pitch problems, and may end up getting no staging or interpretive notes at all!  That's the way we work, and we just got another of our people cast, in an off-Broadway show called Fame on 42nd Street.

So, eager not to miss a precious second of 24, I flipped on the TV a tad early, and they had clips of singers doing standards (and Crazy Little Thing Called Love, which isn't a standard by any measure) -- and several had pitch problems!  How is this possible?

One can only conclude that the producers of that program limit thier contest to folks they are certain will crack under pressure.  None of the 23 performers in our show in April missed a note.  What explains the near-misses I witnessed at 8:55 last night?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Robin

« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2004, 01:54:01 PM »

First off...HAPPY NATAL ANNIVERSARY DAY to both George and Hollylynn!

Second off...about standing ovations.  Here in Minneapolis, we're so starved for actual Broadway, virtually everything gets a standing ovation.  Even a wretched production of Titanic that blew through here a few years ago.  Actually, I think it would be perfectly appropriate to delete the "through here a few years ago".  

I've only seen two occaisions on Broadway when a STANDING OVATION! was given.  The first one was Sweeney Todd.   The second was The Producers.  
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 01:57:51 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2004, 02:15:20 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes.  I just polished off a piece of spice cake with a side of coffee ice cream.  Very yummy!

Oh that sounds good.

Thanks for the little bio, and it's nice you have joined us.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2004, 02:21:57 PM »

SWW-LOL  GOOD JPART TIME JOB VIBES!

I forgot to mention-Penny O says hi.  She is currently taking her friend on a tour of Ashland.

Speaking of Ashland, the people here are very free with their standing ovations (and I don’t mean just for the top quality shows).  A number of times Keith & I have joined the rest of the crowd, however, most often we have just looked on in amazement.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up