Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ANYTHING BUT NOTHING  (Read 64703 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:ANYTHING BUT NOTHING
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2004, 04:25:29 PM »

I saw TITAN A.E. DRtd....and it was okay.  I liked TRON more....but then that was YEARS ago.

Did anyone see CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON in 3-D in the theatre?  I saw it on tv in 3-D during some gas station promotion, but I imagine it was something in the theatres!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2004, 04:28:05 PM »

I've yet to listen to Bronislau Kaper's "The Swan" -- for the first time in stereo.  But I've got it ready once I'm settled down from the euphoria that only Alex North can induce in quite a special way.

Wow!  They have the soundtrack out for that Fox reality show already?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2004, 04:38:40 PM »

I Was a Teenage Metaphor.

I saw Creature in 3D - not on its original release, but in a 70s reissue.

td

• td
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2004, 04:44:52 PM »

Quite obviously in disagreement regarding Peter Allen, since I find none of the following to be second rate:
"(I've been) Taught by Experts"
"Tenterfield Saddler"
"I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love"
"Quiet Please, There's a Lady on the Stage"
"Don't Cry Out Loud"
"Everything Old is New Again"
"Coulda Been a Sailor"
"Bi-Coastal"
"Just Ask Me, I've Been There"
"Love Don't Need A Reason"
"I Could Marry the Rain"
"The Natural Thing to Do"
"This Side Show's Leavin' Town"
and even, to a lesser degree, "I Honestly Love You."

Theatrical, no.  Second rate, hardly.
Do they work effectively in THE BOY FROM OZ?  I honestly doubt it, since they weren't composed to be theatrical songs.  Even with Hugh's presence, I have barely listened to THE BOY FROM OZ; I prefer Allen's vocals in their original settings. . .and yes, I have a nearly complete Peter Allen collection  - - ON VINYL!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 05:20:37 PM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2004, 04:47:02 PM »

DR TCB!  I just finished watching, well mostly listening, to MUMMY RETURNS!  Well, I'll take Brendan shirtless, but, damn the script to hell and back!  I lost a lot of interest in the film in theaters when Rick's *tattoo* was revealed and was quite frustrated at the screenwriter for even attempting to wedge that information into the script!  Just when I had regained interest,  Mr. Vosloo bathing in the Blue Nile, we got to a pyramid, someone conveniently died and then the horrendous CGI-creature supposing to be The Rock as The Scorpion King!  Any way, the film sounds and looks great on dvd!

td -- I agree completely with everything that you said about THE MUMMY RETURNS.  I would have found the plot holes laughable, but decided to award that honor to The Rock's appearance as The Lobster King.  Still.... The Rock in melted butter!  I guess that would be Rock lobster.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2004, 05:08:04 PM »

Dan-in-To - Thanks for the "If I Were a Bell" lyrics. I'll include them in my metaphor list. Great song! Used to sing it in front of the mirror as a kid.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2004, 05:30:45 PM »

Haven't posted yet today as I've been busy busy busy (that is three busys) with a variety (and Hollywood Reporter) of errands and in a rather strange mood to boot.  Will be heading shortly (and footing tally) to a concert by the Pasadena Symphony.  Messrs. Liszt, Bartok and Dvorak are on the program and I am placing faith in the notion that this evening's music will soothe this savage beast.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2004, 05:46:02 PM »

Well, I guess I'll be staying home, since I've now fallen asleep three times.  

Danise

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2004, 06:04:30 PM »

Hi all!

Would you believe that when I said I had some running to do that meant Iwouldn't be home until about a half hour ago!  Whew!  I am TIRED!  All missions were completed so I can sit and veg like so much fish tomorrow.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Michael and your father.  Let us hope for the best possible outcome.

Sorry to hear about your tummy, Bruce.  Did you take some Pepto?  That might help.

I'm snacking on some blueberries I bought at the store as I type this.  They are very, very yummy.  I don't like blueberries in muffins or pies or anything.  I just like them fresh.  Odd, I know.

Jose, I do hope that you will be feeling much better this time tomorrow.  I know what it is like to be sick.   It is NOT fun.

Lovely pictures, Maya!

So what did/is everyone getting their Moms for Mothers Day?  I bought mine a robe for spring/summer.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2004, 06:09:29 PM »

I guess I should also have asked if your taking Mom out to dinner or cooking her one.

I'm going to cook my super special beef roast with a bottle of coke and mushroom soup.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2004, 06:23:45 PM »

I’m going back and reading through the posts.

Did I miss saying Happy Birthday to some people?  I am so sorry!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday Paulie and George![/move]

10 lashes with a wet noodle for me!

Sorry folks but I'm fading fast here.  Think I'm gonna hit the old sackaroo.  Have a good evening!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2004, 06:47:59 PM »

What is it, Saturday night all of a sudden?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2004, 07:31:43 PM »

I think I'd enjoy the commentary more than I did the film.

Well, I loved the film, and until MAURICE and LONGTIME COMPANION came along, I considered it the finest gay-themed film yet made.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2004, 07:38:30 PM »

Alas, the JURASSIC PARK I have is the Dolby Digital 5.1 version rather than the DTS. I read that the DTS didn't have any special features on it, so that's why I opted for the other version. Would like to hear the DTS version some day. I'm sure it's magnificent.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 07:39:08 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2004, 07:41:38 PM »

Do you realize that if all the people perusing the board (3) were to post 150 times in the next three hours we would break a new record.  No, that's not right.  We would create a new record - we'd break an old record.  That's only right - why should we break a new record when we might not have even played the record yet?

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2004, 07:42:09 PM »

I have my tickets for THE BOY FROM OZ on Friday the 23rd. I'm looking forward to seeing it despite the harsh reviews it received. And I got my tickets in the mail yesterday for WICKED on the 22nd. So excited about these shows. Still to come: AVENUE Q and, if it extends again, ASSASSINS.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2004, 07:44:09 PM »

Don't know what's gotten into me, but instead of watching things I had planned, I pulled out DUBARRY WAS A LADY, of all things.

That certainly was the WORST voice double they could have found for Lucille Ball. Sounds nothing like her.

td

• td
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2004, 08:04:07 PM »

. . .and I, turned off TITAN A.E. (i want to concentrate on it), catalogued my show cds (something which should have been done months ago) and ended up listening to THE BOY FROM OZ with Hugh Jackman.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2004, 08:11:43 PM »

I enjoyed TITAN A.E. quite a bit. It's very well made. I have it on DVD, too that I bought after I watched it on HBO.

Robin

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2004, 08:36:41 PM »

That certainly was the WORST voice double they could have found for Lucille Ball.

The operatic voice doubling for Ted on the last episode of Queer as Folk was just embarrassing.

As to this week's belated Media Check:

In the deeveedee player: Belleville Rendez-vous (I like that title better than The Triplets of Belleville) and the three latest Hammer releases from Warner Bros., namely, Taste the Blood of Dracula, Dracula has Risen from the Grave, and Frankenstein Must be Destroyed.

In the CD player: Bounce, of course.  

Some friends and I went off to see Van Helsing at the theater this evening.  It's not as wretched as the reviews would have you believe, but it's plenty mediocre.  And surprisingly shoddy.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2004, 08:46:14 PM »

Been having a Marx day - Go West, The Big Store and A Night in Casablanca so far.  Now, Mr. Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2004, 08:57:47 PM »

Back from "Elegies!"  I'm kind of too tired to write much of a review, but it was a very powerful evening, and I cried on several occasions, and laughed on many others.  The cast was uniformly wonderful.

I love Finn, but I didn't think all the numbers in the show worked completely.  There's one called "Dear Reader"(oh, a BK reference, hehe!) in which the writer of a rather difficult novel stands over the shoulder of a woman in a hospital bed reading her book.  The two insult each other, and it's just one of those songs where Finn is trying to be a little too clever for his own good, and his flights of fancy end up flying a little too high.  

Thank you all so very much for the compliments on my pics!!

Out of curiosity...how tall are you?  The guy you're with looks REALLY tall...

He's not that tall, I'm just a lil thing!  I'm 5'2 (AND a half, hehe), and I think he was probably a good 6.'  And very handsome fella...I thought he looked a bit like Harry Connick Jr.!

OMG! -- Oh, mon dieu! in French!

Have you read the news? :o

The Walt Disney Company is blocking its Miramax division from distributing a new film with Julie Andrews that harshly criticizes Michael Eisner, executives at both Disney and Miramax said Tuesday.

I never knew I would live to see that!
Just terrible! ;)

Ick!  On the positive side, she's going to be in both the sequels to "Shrek" (voice acting, of course) and "The Princess Diaries," so she seems to have found her niche as of late acting in fun, smart kid-friendly movies!

Some friends and I went off to see Van Helsing at the theater this evening.  It's not as wretched as the reviews would have you believe, but it's plenty mediocre.  And surprisingly shoddy.

I concur.  I was all about the eye candy.  And I DID think that David Wenham, as Hugh's comic relief sidekick Carl, stole quite a few of his scenes.  (Wenham was also Faramir in the LOTR movies).

Jose and BK--I hope you guys are feeling better!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2004, 09:16:20 PM »

I rather like Titan A. E.  It's hardly perfect, being a Don Bluth film, but it's far better than the reviews it received suggested.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2004, 09:22:03 PM »

Der Brucer and I went to vote today.  It seemed strange, voting on a Saturday, but it was for a couple of school board positions, and worth our time.

After, we went over to the Blue Moon for a cocktail, and while there I recognized a fellow from the Art League reception yesterday, so we went over to say hello.  Turns out he's a composer of operas, originally from Argentina but of Portuguese ancestry.  He and der B. hit it off quite well, discussing various musical influences, how to teach young people about music, and the like.  He's a full-time resident, so we're hoping to meet him again.

After that, home for a dinner of sausages, cheese grits, and sauteed radishes and bell peppers.  Interesting, how sauteeing the radishes brings out their sweetness.

Time to wuss my burgers; there's gardens and house to tend to tomorrow.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2004, 09:31:49 PM »

S. Woody, you do know that Mr. Don Bluth has a fictionalized version of himself in Krtizer Time do you not?  Oh, that's right - you haven't read it yet.  Oops (spoo, spelled backwards).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2004, 09:49:27 PM »

Sad to be all alone in the world.

Sad when S. Woody sits on Kritzer Time for what - two months now?

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2004, 10:16:14 PM »

DR TCB:  The FSM limited edition soundtrack to "The Swan" is from the 1956 film starring Grace Kelly, Alec Guinness and Louis Jourdan.  It was Kelly's last film.

I watched Warner Brothers' 1955 epic "Helen of Troy" on DVD this evening.  An epic that's quite a notch above most of its type and splendidly directed by Robert Wise.  It's not as much fun as "Land of the Pharaohs," naturally, because it doesn't have Joan Collins or Sydney Chaplin and only a modicum of risible dialogue (King Priam to Helen:  "This is the face that launched a 1,000 ships."  Helen to Paris as the Trojan Horse is being wheeled toward the gates as a prize of war:  "Beware Greeks bearing gifts."

There's a marvelously droll moment, though, in chapter 23 at about 1:02....a trumpeter is in a tower blowing some fanfare or other (courtesy of Max Steiner)...and someone hiding behind the wall is throwing pigeons into the air as though they were naturally being disturbed by the trumpet blasts.  Only thing is, pigeons don't do vertical liftoffs, so these require a few seconds of furious flapping of wings to right themselves and move along.  It's tres amusant!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 10:20:26 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2004, 10:16:22 PM »

Welcome eight GUESTS.  Come on in, liven things up with some pithy comments.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2004, 10:21:29 PM »

This is, at the very least, post #148.  Has disaster been averted, then?

Are we safe from a lowpoint in HHW.com history?

Shall we NOT laugh at ourselves for setting a paltry record?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 10:21:55 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2004, 10:23:27 PM »

If a cast member of "Urinetown" had a lisp, would the audience be treated to pithy comments?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up