Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB  (Read 25416 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2004, 07:39:12 PM »

I didn't think anybody lived in Jacksonville, Oregon except my great-grandparents (when they were alive, that is).  Is it as small a town as I seem to remember from our annual visits?

LOL.  Jacksonville is small, yet it is a national historic landmark.  It's a charming little town and home to the Britt Music Festival and wonderful hiking trails.  Movies that have been filmed there are:

The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid (1972) Universal Studios renovated the town for the filming of this movie.

Mystery Mansion (1986)

A Girl of the Limberlost (1990, TV)

Inherit the Wind (1988, TV)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2004, 07:43:23 PM »

Someone please do the page 5 dance for me-I’m off to watch something.

Jennifer I just learned something new and interesting about you.  The shows sound like fun.

Bruce, hope your tomorrow is better than today was, without any hassles. :)

Goodnight.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2004, 07:43:38 PM »

Does anyone know if cicadas are really good eats?  I keep reading this, I've even found some recipes, but can't get past the buggy part.

I do know they aren't considered kosher.

Well, without really too much of our culinary tastes, there's an expression around our house: "If it ain't kosher, it must be good."

Noel
(who enjoyed scallops wrapped in bacon at the Yacht Club last week)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2004, 07:50:36 PM »

I think it’s wonderful you all get along well enough to be invited to the wedding.  

I don't think it's a matter of getting along. I haven't spoken more than three sentences in my life to my ex-h's ex-wife. We have a rather dramatic history, she and I. Her husband left her because he fell in love with someone else (that would be me). She was not pleased. In a big way. And I don't blame her. Goes to show that almost everything eventually becomes water under the bridge. "This too shall pass" in action.

Panni

« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2004, 07:54:44 PM »

For Jane, better late than never...

THE PAGE FIVE SONG!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2004, 07:56:38 PM »

No more wire hassles, EVER!

Have gun, will travel, baby.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2004, 07:57:42 PM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  You like my hair, yes?  My lips, yes?  The sway of my how you say of my hips, yes?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2004, 08:15:12 PM »

I couldn't summon up interest to watch the AMERICAN IDOL special tonight. I know each of the final three went back home and were filmed for this program (and for subsequent editions of the show). Since she's from North Carolina, there was a lengthy article about Fantasia and the day she spent with the IDOL camera crew following her around.

Tomorrow night if I remember correctly from last year is the three song sing-off. The contestants choose a song, the judges select a song for each, and then each singer chooses a song at random from a fishbowl. Should make for an interesting contest tomorrow evening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2004, 08:31:02 PM »

I now have proof that I should be more careful about what I say.

Earlier, as we were driving back from dinner, der Brucer was complaining about how there was going to be "nothing to watch" on the television tonight.  I suggested, rather flippantly, that he could always watch The 700 Club, just to find out what their reaction to the marriages in Massachusets has been.

Sure enough, at the appropriate hour, I could hear the voice of Pat Robertson whining about abominations, and how G*d would turn his back on the reprobates, which in Robertson's eyes means the entire nation.

Der Brucer just turned to me and smiled.  "He's a little too tame this time," he commented, and changed the channel.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2004, 08:36:53 PM »

Jose - After seeing how brilliantly the A CHORUS LINE segments came off on the Tony Awards as part of the retrospective I hate the movie even more.  Too bad they didn't just tape the show and forget about filming it.

A few months ago, I saw a video of the show with Wanda Richert as Cassie.  The tape was probably third generation, the picture and the sound wobbled a lot.  The cast was only so-so and Richert slacked her way through "Music and the Mirror".  And yet watching this tape gave me hundreds of times more pleasure then the movie ever did or ever will.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2004, 08:39:04 PM »

I don't think it's a matter of getting along. I haven't spoken more than three sentences in my life to my ex-h's ex-wife. We have a rather dramatic history, she and I. Her husband left her because he fell in love with someone else (that would be me). She was not pleased. In a big way. And I don't blame her. Goes to show that almost everything eventually becomes water under the bridge. "This too shall pass" in action.

I don't know...  This sounds like the set-up for a murder mystery.  Do you happen to know whether or not Angela Lansbury is also invited?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2004, 08:49:07 PM »

I don't know...  This sounds like the set-up for a murder mystery.  Do you happen to know whether or not Angela Lansbury is also invited?
:)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2004, 09:08:19 PM »

I don't think so, Dan, but I will be happy to go to the wedding as Nero Wolfe, if you want to go as Archie.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »

I don't think so, Dan, but I will be happy to go to the wedding as Nero Wolfe, if you want to go as Archie.

Yikes--at my current weight I might be the apt between the two of to be Nero Wolfe (except orchids are one of my least favorite flowers.)  Maybe going as the Snoop Sisters would be more fun?
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2004, 09:34:47 PM »

I hope you all don't want a percentage if I do convert this into a mystery.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2004, 09:50:53 PM »

Yikes--at my current weight I might be the apt between the two of to be Nero Wolfe (except orchids are one of my least favorite flowers.)  Maybe going as the Snoop Sisters would be more fun?

Only if I get to be Mildred Natwick.  I refuse to be Helen Hayes again!

“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2004, 09:52:16 PM »

td - My metaphorical mailbox had a REAL CD in it today! Thank you!!

Well, listen to it in reality, then post about it metaphoricaly on Friday. ;)

You're welcome!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2004, 09:53:26 PM »

I hope you all don't want a percentage if I do convert this into a mystery.

As far as I'm concerned, you're off the hook as long as you don't use my elderly lesbian vampire "sisters" who go about solving murders as your sleuths.  I'm saving them for my first my mystery novel,  Murder Must Be Awful!.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2004, 10:03:51 PM »

Just read an interesting statement. Anyone want to offer your thoughts on the following: "Audiences today are a little embarrassed by their emotions." (The speaker is commenting on audiences not willing to be emotional with the likes of Tennessee Williams.)

Panni

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2004, 10:04:52 PM »

Geez, I can't use the elderly lesbian vampire sisters! There goes my pitch.

Panni

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2004, 10:06:00 PM »

Well, listen to it in reality, then post about it metaphoricaly on Friday. ;)

Will do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2004, 10:14:59 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, you're off the hook as long as you don't use my elderly lesbian vampire "sisters" who go about solving murders as your sleuths.  I'm saving them for my first my mystery novel,  Murder Must Be Awful!.

Shouldn't that title be: Murder Must Be Tacky!
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2004, 10:31:02 PM »

Just read an interesting statement. Anyone want to offer your thoughts on the following: "Audiences today are a little embarrassed by their emotions." (The speaker is commenting on audiences not willing to be emotional with the likes of Tennessee Williams.)
I think the speaker almost has it right.  I would say instead that "Audiences today are a little embarrassed to show or otherwise admit to their emotions."  That's not quite the same thing.

Say, for instance, that a well-written play or screenplay actually gets produced, and that a couple goes to see the play or movie.  They get caught up in the drama, and one of them sheds a tear.  After the show, the one who didn't shed a tear will, of course, chide the tearful one, hiding his (or her) own emotional reaction, while Tearful will of course deny getting so caught up in the drama.

The emotions were there, but talking about them is the taboo.

The solution that is currently in play, of course, is to produce shows that have no genuine emotional content, replacing it with visceral impact, explosions and CGI monsters, or faux emotion, when the Bachelor hands out his roses.  If the emotions aren't real to begin with, it's much easier to laugh them off.

(modified for spelling)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 10:52:59 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2004, 10:33:52 PM »

What?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2004, 10:48:28 PM »

Well, I couldn't find the postcard that I wanted to post, so I'll have to keep looking.  It's pretty darned funny.

I don't know when I'll actually be able to look for it because right now I'm house-sitting for my friend Claudia.  She gets back tomorrow (yea!) but tomorrow night I'm going with a co-worker to see "The Girl of the Golden West" at the Seattle Opera.  Wednesday night I'm going to see a local production of Cabaret.  Thursday and Friday I'm working backstage for a touring company of RENT and Saturday, I have to take my niece (she paid for tickets) to a Seattle Storm women's basketball game.  Too damned busy!  BUT I HAVE NOTHING TO DO ON SUNDAY!!!  I can't wait! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2004, 10:53:16 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I made it back from Richmond, but it did take me a few tries to do so...

After getting back from dinner, I decided to take a small nap before driving back up to DC... Then the "American Idol" special came on, so I had to watch some of that...

I got my stuff packed up and my car loaded and headed to the gas station.  $1.89 for regular - went up 8 cents since last Monday!  Ah, well...

As I was pulling out of the gas station, I had to think where my cell phone was... OH, it's just in my bag in the back... Whew!...  OH, but where is my cell phone charger?  -It's still plugged into the wall in my bedroom in my apartment.. So...

After picking up the phone charger, I got back on 95 northbound... OH!  Did I remember to put my medicine back in my bag?  Hmmm... So, I pulled off the next exit, and... WHEW!  it was in the bag... So...

Well, I'm about 20 miles from my destination, and I notice that a car is following me... Then I notice that the blue lights on top of his car turn on...  AAGGHH!!!  Was I speeding?  -I know I wasn't... Was something falling off my car?  As it turned out my tailights were out.  I told him that tends to happen, and that I keep spare bulbs in my trunk.  Well, he went back to run my plates... And when he came back he just said I should either pull off at the rest stop two miles up and fix them, or keep my flashers on the rest of the way.  Then he went back to his car...  Then I kept looking back at his patrol car.... Was I free to leave now?  Was he back there writing me a ticket?  Well, after I peered my head out a few times, he came back up to my car and asked what the problem was... I asked if I was free to leave, and he told me I was.  NO TICKET!!! Whew!!!  -I have never cherished my near spotless driving record - my one an only moving violation happened 15 years ago!  So...

I pull into the rest area... Find my spare bulbs... But I don't find my Phillips head screwdriver...  So...

I get back on 95 with my flashers on - thankfully, those were not burned out... Make it back to the apartment... Put my stuff away in my apartment..., and then replace the burned out bulbs...

WHEW!!

-Maybe those were all signs that I should have just stayed up here this "weekend".  ???

So, I'm back safe and sound...  And now a little confused from the recent thread concerning Nero Wolfe, Mildred Natwick and company.  ???

Well, time to tend to some things that to be tended to before I go to sleep, so...  But I'll check back in later...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2004, 10:59:34 PM »

tomorrow night I'm going with a co-worker to see "The Girl of the Golden West" at the Seattle Opera.  Wednesday night I'm going to see a local production of Cabaret.  Thursday and Friday I'm working backstage for a touring company of RENT and Saturday, I have to take my niece (she paid for tickets) to a Seattle Storm women's basketball game.  Too damned busy!  BUT I HAVE NOTHING TO DO ON SUNDAY!!!  I can't wait! ;D

Wow, nice and busy, George!  While I'm not much of a fan of the show, I particularly hope that it's a good production of Rent, as my mother and sister are headed over to Olympia for Thursday night's performance!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2004, 11:01:59 PM »

I got my stuff packed up and my car loaded and headed to the gas station.  $1.89 for regular - went up 8 cents since last Monday!  Ah, well...

I'd love to see such a price.  We're currently around $2.17 here.  :-\
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2004, 11:03:42 PM »

$1.89 for regular!!!  I am moving to Richmond tomorrow -- if I can afford the gas to get there.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2004, 11:04:16 PM »

Thank you, son!
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up