Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SURPRISE, SURPRISE  (Read 28350 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:SURPRISE, SURPRISE
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2004, 02:13:16 PM »

Anyway, I agree with you about Wagner. What a snooze-fest. The Wagnerpalooza known as THE RING is the singular most self-indulgent and musically masturbatory piece of "theatre" I've ever experienced.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Beware the wrath of Wotan![/move]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 02:13:49 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2004, 02:13:17 PM »

Robin, you brought up something I've noticed just recently.  KFC as opposed to Kentucky Fried Chicken...Are they making a conscious effort to phase out the name?  Is it the word "fried" in this health-obssessed era that scares them?...Or is the word "Kentucky" just too-rube-hilly-billy oriented and not hip enough?   Though the grub there gets a bad rap, I do feel the need to indulge every so often...always original recipe for me.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2004, 02:14:41 PM »

Now, Jay, I like all the sturm and drang of Wagner's Ring. In fact, it's the only Opera I've ever taped off TV.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2004, 02:16:27 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS NEWEST GOD, ELMORE!

(I EVEN FORGIVE YOU FOR ASKING BK, INSTEAD OF ME, ON A DATE!)

DR Panni, my heart and CD player burns for you but there's more this party than just seeing Dear Friend BK!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2004, 02:29:13 PM »

Is it the word "fried" in this health-obssessed era that scares them?...

That is it.  It's what I heard on the news recently so it must be true.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »

Keith Echo and I just sat on the lawn and enjoyed the first strawberries from the garden.   :)

CONGRATULATIONS ELMORE!  WELCOME TO THE CLOUDS.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2004, 02:39:01 PM »

Congrats to elmore on his ascension!

Panni, I don't want to know what bookworm is or where to find it. I already have enough procrastination distractions on my computer and internet.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2004, 02:50:31 PM »

I've just received an email from our newest god, Elmore, saying that HHW has disappeared from his computer. ("The Website is disabled" is the message he's getting.) Perhaps the other gods are jealous. I told him to restart the computer and see what happens. Any other ideas?

Panni

« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2004, 02:51:02 PM »

Jane - You never answered my cat toy question from yesterday....

Jay

« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2004, 02:55:55 PM »

I've just received an email from our newest god, Elmore, saying that HHW has disappeared from his computer. ("The Website is disabled" is the message he's getting.) Perhaps the other gods are jealous. I told him to restart the computer and see what happens. Any other ideas?

There was a brief gap in the transmission of the site.  (Shades of Rosemary Woods.)  He should have no problem gaining access now.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2004, 03:01:23 PM »

I received that message last time I tried to post.  I just closed HHW, reopened it and didn't have a problem again.

Panni

« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2004, 03:12:49 PM »

I've let god Elmore know, Jane and Jay. Thanks!

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »

Welcome to the Clouds Elmore3003! Heaven will never be the same again!

MBarnum

« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2004, 03:14:43 PM »

I must go back and play more bookworm.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2004, 03:15:08 PM »

Jane - You never answered my cat toy question from yesterday....

I’m sorry I missed the question.   :-[

I have never had outdoor cat toys.  If other cats hang around they might try taking a catnip toy away from her.  You might try sitting outside with her for a few minutes while she plays with it, then take the toy back in with you.  Another option would be to try getting one on a string and hang it from a tree or something-just make sure she can’t strangle herself.  Cats love to hang out in paper bags, play with rolled tin foil and the cardboard rolls from toilet paper.  Is there a place to plant a fresh catnip bush?  Then all the cats could share.  ;D

I have always found my cats liked the catnip toys inside a fabric and have never been very interested in catnip balls.

Jane

« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2004, 03:17:53 PM »

Hi Elan-WELCOME!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2004, 03:38:59 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Beware the wrath of Wotan![/move]

DR Jay, I love you but I fear the BOREDOM OF WOTAN AND ERDA (Remember Erda?)

I rebooted and now I can get back on the site!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2004, 03:39:20 PM »

Congratulations Elmore.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2004, 03:40:54 PM »

Welcome to the Clouds Elmore3003! Heaven will never be the same again!

I plan to make your heaven hell, MB!

Panni

« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2004, 03:51:54 PM »

Thanks for the info, Jane. What she really wants to do is move in with me. I'm the catnip.
I'll get something next time I'm at Petsmart.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2004, 03:53:03 PM »

I have to say all this 9/11 hearing playback on the news in depressing me a helluva lot.  

DRJay, I must say, I enjoyed the RING more on the Met broadcast than I ever did in the theatre, maybe it's because of the subtitles or the fact I could get up and wander during the 40% boring sections, but I do agree with DR Jason that for a series of pieces call "music drama," I find there's no drama in that ur-Nazi.

There's more brilliance in Mozart, Beethoven, Bizet, Verdi and Britten for me at the opry than the two Rickies, not that there aren't moments I admire in both but they are only moments.  Why is it an uncut performance of Mozart flies by and even Wagner's one good work DIE MEISTERSINGER turtles by?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2004, 03:57:12 PM »

Sorry for the momentary blip - these things happen - all is well now.  Just a leetle webhost error.

I have now played bookworm and I shall beat Panni about the head and neck for even bringing it up.  The first game I played I scored 800 before burning down the library.  I then sort of caught on, and the second game I scored 81,860.  My third game I scored 125,820.  It's sick.  Had a lovely lunch with Miss Christiane Noll and will be seeing her in Urinetown this Sunday.  Off to ship some things, then I shall return, like General MacArthur.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2004, 03:57:48 PM »

However, I did enjoy in 2001 the City Opera's production of FLYING DUTCHMAN, with Mark Delavan, as I recall, but I preferred FALSTAFF.

DRJAY, do you know that wonderful out-of-print book PRIMA DONNAS AND OTHER WILD BEASTS, which was my favorite book in high school and college?

Jay

« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2004, 04:06:53 PM »

OK, OK.  I confess.  Most of Siegfried is ghastly.  In fact, other than for the forging song and the forest murmurs, it all is ghastly until Brunnhilde wakes up.  But I'll sit through this opera in exchange for the stretches of sheer genius and electricity of the other sections of the Ring.

As for the other "Rickie," I love Salome, Elektra, and Rosenkavalier.  I just saw my first Frau this year and I'd be just as happy if it were my last.

That's what makes horse racing.

Jay

« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2004, 04:08:49 PM »

DRJAY, do you know that wonderful out-of-print book PRIMA DONNAS AND OTHER WILD BEASTS, which was my favorite book in high school and college?

I don't.  Will have to look for it.  Sounds like fun!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2004, 04:11:32 PM »

There's more brilliance in Mozart, Beethoven, Bizet, Verdi and Britten for me at the opry than the two Rickies, not that there aren't moments I admire in both but they are only moments.

Life is made of moments, even now and then a bad one.
But if life were only moments, then we'd never know we'd had one
(or something like that...a Sondheim reference!)

And speaking of Sondheim, I went to the post office at lunch today and picked up two, count 'em TWO, packages from amazon.com.  One contained the songbook to HONK! (exclamation point theirs) by George Stiles & Anthony Drew (I love this show) and the other contained the original cast recordings of A Year with Frog and Toad and the aforementioned Sondheim's Bounce! (exclamation point mine)  They sent the red cover.  I know that even if I don't like it, I'll like it...if that makes sense. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2004, 04:13:25 PM »

As for the other "Rickie," I love Salome, Elektra, and Rosenkavalier.  I just saw my first Frau this year and I'd be just as happy if it were my last.

Well, nothing's as tuneless as INTERMEZZO!  It sends you back to WOZZECK with some real appreciation of Berg's way with a tune.  I must confess my favorite Strauss is ARIADNE AUF NAXOS, ut even it could use some pruning,  and I'd like to see the original someday with the Moliere play as the first half; City Opera should do it, with all the unemployed actors in this town.  As for DER ROSENKAVALIER, well, he could cut 20% off Acts One and Two and 60% off Act Three and I'd be happier.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2004, 04:41:36 PM »

I just got in after a long day working in a faraway suburb.

First things first:

Happy Birthday François (Ben, I stole your cedilla)

Welcome Back Jason (we missed you)

Mazel Tov Elmore (right behind you)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 04:42:17 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2004, 04:44:59 PM »

Sorry for the momentary blip - these things happen - all is well now.  Just a leetle webhost error.

I have now played bookworm and I shall beat Panni about the head and neck for even bringing it up.  The first game I played I scored 800 before burning down the library.  I then sort of caught on, and the second game I scored 81,860.  My third game I scored 125,820.  It's sick.  Had a lovely lunch with Miss Christiane Noll and will be seeing her in Urinetown this Sunday.  Off to ship some things, then I shall return, like General MacArthur.

I hope to Heck that you did not tell Miss Christiane Noll about Bookworm.  I would hate to have Panni blamed for Miss  Noll missing all future performances of Urinetown!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2004, 04:48:46 PM »

Mazel Tov Elmore (right behind you)

Merci beaucoup, DRDan!  I'm getting the cheering section ready!

Back to FINE AND DANDY: besides DR WEL, has anyone ordered or listened to it yet?  Good cast:  Carolee Carmello, Mario Cantone (I liked him a lot in the studio, DR WEL, and he's such a nice man; he was great to work with in BOYS FROM SYRACUSE as well), Gavin Creel, Andrea Burns, and I'm sure I'm leaving out others!  This is a plug!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up