Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEVER, THESE AMERICANS  (Read 28360 times)

Jennifer

Re:CLEVER, THESE AMERICANS
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2004, 09:04:01 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D ;D :-* ::) :D ;D :-* ::) :D ;D :-* ::) :D ;D :-* ::) [/move]

Emily

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2004, 09:10:32 AM »

DR Andrea is indeed still in Florence and was very happy to learn that b-day greetings were coming to her from HHW.

She says thanks! (if only she could figure out how to get to an actual website using a mac-Italian pay by the minute computer to tell you herself! so far she's only mastered msn-ing florence style!)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2004, 09:11:15 AM »

I can't think of any people in the theater I actually thought were so very miscast that I saw. I'm sure Raquel Welch was ridiculous as Victor/Victoria, but I didn't see her.

I didn't see her either, but I'd heard that Raquel Welch in Applause also wasn't quite the best actress-to-role match.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2004, 09:12:14 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-I just missed Good Morning - well, at least here in the Eastern Time Zone.  Ah, well...

I tried to get up early today, and I even opened my eyes when my clock-radio went off at 7:40.  However, the next time I opened my eyes it was 9:15; and then it was 11:15.  So...  *I really was caught off guard since I kept waiting for the finale of the Debussy String Quartet that was playing, but the next thing I remember hearing was the Dvorak Sonatine.  Amazing how the mind works - and doesn't work so to speak.

Wrong casting... The only thing that comes to mind is Peter Karrie in the pre-Broadway run of Shogun: The Musical.  -He was later replaced by Philip Casnoff.  It appeared that he was cast since he had that same facial hair as Richard Chamberlain.  Admittedly, it was really not a good show, but when someone bad sticks out in a bad show... *I actually bought the sweatshirt - Do you think I could get anything for it on E-bay? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2004, 09:13:49 AM »

OH!  Does anyone know what Mssrs. Karrie and Casnoff have been up to lately?
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2004, 09:13:53 AM »

BK, you want vibes?  We got vibes for you!

Here are some more vibes:

Here are also some xylophones for you:

Here's some marimbas for you:

And we even got glockenspiels for you:

On a stand, even! ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 11:18:41 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2004, 09:16:33 AM »

It's hot here in Richmond too.  But at least no storms today.

*And since the young woman who lives upstairs still keeps her A/C on high - all the time - we have yet to turn on our A/C since the heat started coming back a few weeks ago. 8)

Now I just need to get motivated and get out of here and start checking on some part-time job possibilities... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2004, 09:18:20 AM »

OH!  Does anyone know what Mssrs. Karrie and Casnoff have been up to lately?

I don't know about Mr. Karrie, but Philip Casnoff has been playing Chief of Staff Dr. Robert Jackson on the TV show "Strong Medicine" for several years, now.  My sister and my niece watch it religiously, and the few episodes I've seen, I always say, "That's the guy who was in Chess on Broadway! I've got the album!" (an Oh, Brother! reference)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 09:19:36 AM by George »

George

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2004, 09:19:54 AM »

Now I must go to work and make money.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2004, 09:29:57 AM »

Encores! usually has wonderful casting.  Quite often, they find some unknown who, the following year, goes on to major stardom.  But the casting of Peter Friedman in On a Clear Day You Can See Forever practically did in the show.  Charmless, and not a strong voice.  You couldn't imagine what Kristen Chenoweth could possibly see in him

Also surprisingly incapable: this year's Doris Roberts in Bye Bye Birdie
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2004, 09:30:55 AM »

She played Albert's mother.  Like sludge
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2004, 09:41:42 AM »

Kiss of the Spider Woman had its world premiere in Toronto, and I thought Chita Rivera was miscast. She was also poorly costumed - her arms looking awfully flabby. I believe the show had a major renovation before opening in New York.

I liked Michele Lee in Seesaw, but think that Laine Kazan would have been a far better Gittel. Michael Bennett tossed her out of the show using a don't-get-zaftig contractual clause

Margaret Hamilton as A Little Night Music's Madam Armfeldt (touring production) was a very pleasant surprise.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 09:42:40 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2004, 09:45:29 AM »

Elizabeth Allen wasn't exactly miscast in Do I Hear A Waltz but she was prettier than she should have been, making the story less than believable.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2004, 09:45:31 AM »

Well we have been quite E&T of late, due to a number of mitigating factors.

Dear spouse Betsy has started her brand spanking new job as Executive Director of Oregon Women Lawyers.  She is very excited, as are the women lawyers.

I am knee-deep in my summer concert series with the splendid Tigard Pops Choir.  We had a wonderful outdoor concert on July 4 at the Tigard Farmer's Market.  After we were through, manifold vendors descended upon us, showering us (in a good way) with beautiful fresh-cut flowers (including some of the most incredibly gorgeous orchids you've ever seen) and organic fruit of all shapes and sizes.  Free!!

And I have been manically parsing the several pounds of Criterion DVD releases I got during DDDVD's recent 20% sale (wow--most of them were $17!!).  So, here's today's "can you answer that" question for you encyclopedic film buffs out there.  On "The Lady Eve" supplements, there is a quite stunning photo of a very elegant Miss Frances Farmer sitting at a table with Mr. Preston Sturges, probably at the private Paramount screening of that film (and, as some of you know, Sturges very much wanted Farmer for the role that ultimately went to Veronica Lake in "Sullivan's Travels").  Anyway, standing between them is this man:

Does anyone know who he is?  (JR and I are guessing it may be Buddy deSylva).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 09:46:36 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2004, 09:46:09 AM »

Kiss of the Spider Woman had its world premiere in Toronto,

Not to quibble, DR DIT, but KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN had its world premiere in Purchase NY, in a production (that I saw) which featured neither Miss Rivera, nor half the score the work now possesses.  The SpiderWoman/Aurora in that production was played by ersatz producer Lauren Mitchell, while the male roles were taken by John Rubenstein and Kevin Gray.  While not as dreadful as it was made out to be, the work that was done to the show since that initial production significantly improved it.

JMK

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2004, 09:48:22 AM »

May I ask you technophiles how you embed images in between lines of text (as in the marimba/xylophone above)?  Inquiring minds want to know.

And in kind-of wrong casting--I saw Vivian Blaine as Madame Hortense in "Zorba" years ago.  She played it like Adelaide, which of course is a bit jarring.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2004, 09:48:33 AM »

I didn't see Mary Martin in The Sound of Music, but at age 46 wasn't she a bit long in the tooth for the role?

JMK

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2004, 09:54:50 AM »

Non musical miscasting:  Richard Chamberlain in Richard III.  The hump gave a better performance.

JMK

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2004, 09:57:09 AM »

BK--you surely have a most excellent source for good marimbas:  Cissy and/or David! :)

VinTek

• Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2004, 10:04:20 AM »

<surface> Worst bit of casting I've ever personally witnessed:  Milton Berle as Nathan Detroit.  <submerge>
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets, then teams up with 3 complete strangers to kill again
- Marin County newspaper listing for The Wizard of Oz

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2004, 10:10:05 AM »

Not to quibble, DR DIT, but KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN had its world premiere in Purchase NY.

Who's quibbling - but was the Purchase production a premiere or a workshop? OK, so maybe the line between the two is fuzzy.  

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2004, 10:12:50 AM »

Wow, I guess some of us have different tastes in musicals.  But to me "miscast" suggests someone who was really not right for a role.

I LOVED Chita Rivera in Kiss Of The Spider Woman.  In fact it was seeing her in the touring production that ignited my love for musical theatre.  Up until that point I had never been to NYC.  And the only national tours I had seen were Les Mis, POTO and Cats.

Jason

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2004, 10:15:44 AM »

Thanks for all the advice and council. I've decided to back off for a couple of days and give some space to the situation. I'm still feeling a HUGE amount of anxiety and I'm just itching to contact him, but I'm trying my best to be patient and--more importantly--sane. Life is like a box of chocolates. Eat them too fast and you'll throw up on the floor. Not only have I been shoveling in the chocolates, I've been force-feeding them to my friend, as well, and if there's anything I hate more it's vomiting on the floor, so it's time to put the Godiva's up on the high shelf and start rationing out the good stuff. What the hell am I talking about?

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2004, 10:15:44 AM »

Hey don't forget The Amazing Race premieres tonight on CBS at 9:30pm ET.

If anyone is looking for a fun summer series to follow I would highly recommend this show.  Even for those who don't normally like reality tv.  You get to see great locations.  And apparently this season will have some new twists, including a yield pass that teams can use to stop other teams for 1 hour.

Also supposedly there is some big thing at the non-elimination rounds that will make it very difficult on the teams involved.

I can't wait!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2004, 10:28:37 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]BELATED VIBES OF POWER AND GLORY FOR BK!!![/move]

So terribly sorry for being so e & t this weekend, but after my sister's wonderful 3rd of July pool party/picnic on Saturday, I found myself shanghaied by a couple of Irish immigrants and taken to a house located on an island off the Jersey coast and forced to listlessly lie in the sun, frolic in the ocean, check out beach bodies of all persuasions, dine on various forms of seafood, stroll the boards, behold night time skies full of fireworks and spend the late night hours in the pursuit of drunken conversation.  It was actually not as bad as it sounds.  The one stipulation these Irish immigrants have is that their house is kept totally free of all things televised and computerized, so I could not gloat post even if I wanted to.  

You would think that after such a weekend that I was ready to come back to work with my batteries recharged and a smile on my face.  But at some point this morning while I was getting dressed, I realized that this was the first time in days that I was wearing shoes, socks, pants and perhaps underwear.  All I could think to myself was, "This sucks..."

TOD:  The worse case of stage miscasting I ever saw was in a touring company of Pippin years back.  I don't recall the name of the actor who played Pippin at the mo', but he was short, scrawny and pale with long thin hair and glasses and sang in a thin reedy voice.  Not at all in the neighborhood of Pippins that I was accustomed to.  I could sort of see what they were going for by casting this guy as Pippin, but he was much too nerdy and uncharismatic to pull it off.

TOY:  My fav cartoon characters were the Ducks, Donald and Daffy.  I loved allof the Jay Ward Stuff, from Rocky and Bullwinkle to George of the Jungle.  I also remember liking a lot of the Saturday morning stuff:  The Space Kidettes, Frankenstein Jr and the Impossibles, Birdman, The Inhumanoids, Josie and the Pussycats and the Wacky Races.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 10:50:26 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2004, 10:48:35 AM »

Tony Curtis (in the Joe E. Brown role) in the musical version of Some Like It Hot a couple of years ago was pretty lame.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2004, 10:57:24 AM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  The blechhy business actually went very quickly and painlessly, so thank you for your always-excellent and potent good vibes.  The rights thing has not gone well as yet - their first response was "no" but Tammy has done her job well and is not backing down, so they are now "reconsidering" although they say their answer may still be no.  Tammy's talking to a lawyer now and then we have to make the decision whether to call their bluff (I believe their "no" was really to see if we'd just do the full fold and go away, or if we were going to hang tough) and just tell them "sorry, the author's agent gave us these rights and we're doing the show and if you have a problem we'll see you in court" or whether we have to come up with yet another "plan."  I have another plan in the back of my head, and have had it since last week.  It would be intense to try to implement it, but if we must, we must, and I'll work around the clock to do so.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2004, 11:00:54 AM »

More good vibes....if MR BK still needs them!

Hmmmmmmmmmm......miscasting.  I guess I would have to say....and I haven't witnessed many....it would be Marie Osmond in THE SOUND OF MUSIC.  She was terrible, but she wasn't Maria either...and for some reason, she decided that the whole show was a comedy!  And she certainly was well endowed!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2004, 11:04:26 AM »

May I ask you technophiles how you embed images in between lines of text (as in the marimba/xylophone above)?  Inquiring minds want to know.

To imbed an image within the text of a post, you have to link an image that's already somewhere on the Internet.  If you quote my message, you can see the Internet link and code.

You find an image somewhere on the Internet, right click on the picture and click on "Properties."  You should see "Address (URL)" and an Internet address for the individual image.  If you triple click on it (assuming you're using a Windows-based PC...I have no idea about Macs), that Internet address will be completely highlighted.  I'd recommend triple clicking instead of highlighting manually, because the entire address may not show.  Anyway, after it's highlighted, right click on the highlighted area and click "Copy."  Then, create a post at HHW and paste the image link where you want it.  NOW THE IMPORTANT PART:  highlight again the entire Internet link and click the "Insert Image" option above...it's directly under the "Glow" option (fifth from the left in the second row) as part of the "Add YABBC tags" options.  

When you do it this way (as opposed to "attaching" an image file), you can preview it and see exactly what it's going to look like.  I hope this helps!

I'll also add this message to the Technical Support board under the "What is 'Insert Image' " topic, since someone may look there also.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2004, 11:04:39 AM »

Has anyone in these parts seen The Notebook?  Was wondering if it was worth seeing.  I've heard it's a real weepie.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up