Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIED FOODS  (Read 25110 times)

Jennifer

Re:FRIED FOODS
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2004, 03:27:09 PM »

re: BB5

Perhaps that is because she doesn't know who she voted for!  (In other words, I don't know if all the switches take place in order for A to be the only one of the two of them who votes....)

As DR RLP said, they told us the last switch was already done.

And yes DR MBarnum, we get some info about what is going on in the house from various websites.  But since Adria hasn't said who she voted for, I figured it wasn't really a spoiler.

I would encourage you to check out the jam site (http://jam.canoe.ca/JamBigBrother5/home.html  click on "here" and then "transcript").  I must say BB is 100 times more enjoyable if you read this guy's stuff. Trust me.

François de Paris

« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2004, 03:28:15 PM »

GREASE and fried foods!!!

There's a match! ;)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2004, 03:42:48 PM »

I am breathing a sigh of relief as the Variety review for TIGER CRUISE has just come in (it appears tomorrow on the stands) and it is very positive. That's an important one in the biz so I'm a happy camper.

François de Paris

« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2004, 03:43:24 PM »

Doing the Fried Foods Frolic Foxtrot Dance page! ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 03:43:59 PM by François de Paris »

Emily

« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2004, 03:44:06 PM »

All I am going to answer about today's topic is:

all of the above!

Is there such a thing as a truly BAD dish that's fried?  

Plus, am I the only one who likes fries greasy (that is to say, what many people consider to be cooked improperly)?
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2004, 03:45:41 PM »

DR Panni, I have tried KFC, but as I've said before, I've never had home-made fried chicken. :(

Oh, and I wish I could watch Tiger Cruise, but I'm thinking nobody around here gets the Disney channel.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2004, 04:06:38 PM »

Congratulations, Panni!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2004, 04:09:52 PM »

Jane, I must have missed your picture on Saturday. I can't remember now what I was doing on Saturday, but I know I was very busy!

Your flowers are simply beautiful. I think you should take your camera every time you go walking. Anybody second my motion?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2004, 04:19:36 PM »

That's great news, Panni. (Though are we really surprised?)

Danise

« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2004, 04:23:27 PM »

Something odd just happened.  I signed on, had a IM, answered it, tried to come to this board and got an error message that said, "Hacker?" Minus the quotes.    Weird.

Be that as it may---

Evening all!

I had a very nice day today.  We had our annual employee rally at work today.  That meant we got to go to the TBPAC (Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center).  Not the big mail Theater but one of the smaller ones.  The one I used to do show at.  It sure brings back memories every time I go there.  Sigh.  

Anyway, they did a horror theme this year so we had the Wolf Man, The Mummy, Dracula, the “Invisible Man (I could see him!  **Chuckle**) and the Phantom of the County Center.  

I didn’t win any of the awards but still a good time was had by all.  It’s a bit sad because one of the ladies I work with is retiring in September.  This was her last rally.    I’m really, really, really (that’s 3 of ‘em) going to miss her when she goes.  

I have learned so much from her and we got along famously.  

Good Vibes to DR Elmore.  I so hope you get well sooner than soon!

RLP—I hope the arm is doing better.  Vibes  and good wishes to you as well!

Fried food!  I love it!  Except anything to do with seafood.  No fried shrimp or fish for me, thank  you.

I must have missed something about you, Panni.  Something to do with Tigers?  Is it a book?  I’m confused.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2004, 04:24:15 PM »

I second the motion!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2004, 04:28:40 PM »

The Topic of the Day:  Fried Foods We Love (in absolutely no particular order):

• Fried potatoes with a little onion and eaten with ketchup
  • McDonald’s French fries (with or without ketchup...any other kind must have ketchup)
  • Tater tots (must have ketchup)
  • There was a restaurant here in Olympia called Crackers which closed many years ago, that had deep fried pickle spears!
  • Fried ice cream at a local Mexican restaurant is very good!
  • Any kind of Donuts and Apple Fritters (except Krispy Kreme apple fritters...the one time that I had it, it was not very good at all!)
  • I love funnel cakes!  My sister bought a funnel cake kit, but has never used it!  She’s afraid of the splattering grease.
  • My mom makes very good schnitzel (breaded pork chops)
  • Country or chicken fried steak or chicken with lots of gravy
  • I like fried mozzarella sticks but I’ve never had any that were really wonderful.  They usually get to the table warm, but the cheese isn’t as gooey as I think it should be.  Oh, well.
  • Last year at the Puyallup Southwest Washington Fair (which is coming up next month), there was a booth that had deep fried Snickers bars...or some other deep fried candy bar!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2004, 04:33:25 PM »

Over the past several years, my closest friend from high school, Patty, has kept me up to date on obituaries from our class. As she says, "some classes are known for writers and others for historians; we're known for croaking." (Of a class of 30, five are gone - and we're talking mid-50s.) Her source is another classmate, Tina. They sometimes meet meet on the bus, and Tina, who's a bit of a yenta, provides the grim news. About a year ago, Tina told Patty that a nice guy from our class, Marc L., had passed on. This hit me hard because Marc went out of his way to be kind to me during some difficult high school years. Yesterday I received an e-mail from Classmates.com that a new classmate had just signed up. Yes, it was Marc L. He's a liberal, lives in the U.S., and has a pet cat. I Googled him, and discovered that he's very much alive - teaching political science at Boston College and writing articles. I told Patty the good news, and we're now hoping that Ellie H., another buddy on "Tina's List," will soon be returning from the dead.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2004, 04:37:02 PM »

That's great news, Panni. (Though are we really surprised?)

Well said.

Jennifer I can tape the movie for you.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2004, 04:46:27 PM »

DearReaderLaura thank you. :)  I enjoy your photos so much I decided to take my camera with me more often.  I still need to learn how to downsize the photos for posting.  Then I won't have to wait for Keith to do it for me.

Danise, Panni's movie TIGER CRUISE premiers on the Disney Channel Friday night.   If you miss it Friday night it will be on again Saturday night.  Check out this review- TIGER CRUISE REVIEW

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/orl-tvtimehaltv01_tvrv080104,0,6811472.column?coll=orl-caltop

Don't just click on the link.  You need to highlight the entire address and paste-sorry I don't know how else to do it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 04:52:55 PM by Jane »

Panni

« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2004, 04:50:56 PM »

Thank you, all. I'm ALWAYS surprised by nice reviews. I still don't believe in the whole review mystique, but I have to admit that if feels much better to get good reviews than lousy ones (and I've had my share of those, too).

Michael

« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2004, 04:55:12 PM »

Well I am off to Manhattan where I am meeting up with DR TD. I do not have tickets to see anything. I would have considered Avemue Q, but the lead actor is out for two weeks and I wanted to see him. No slight on his understudy Barrett Foa who was on BK's recording of Godspell.

Boy from Oz holds no real interest, but I just might go see it for Hugh J. If I can a decent seat.

Might consider Frogs, but it didn't get such great reviews.

Then there is Wicked which doesn't really float my boat. Am I getting too old and picky? 5 years ago maybe I would have made it a long weekend and seen them all, but now I won;t be devasted if I don't see a show.
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2004, 04:58:55 PM »

DearReaderLaura thank you. :)  I enjoy your photos so much I decided to take my camera with me more often.  I still need to learn how to downsize the photos for posting.  Then I won't have to wait for Keith to do it for me.

Danise, Panni's movie TIGER CRUISE premiers on the Disney Channel Friday night.   If you miss it Friday night it will be on again Saturday night.  Check out this review- TIGER CRUISE REVIEW

"CLICK HERE"
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2004, 05:09:44 PM »

Thanks, George!

George

« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2004, 05:21:18 PM »

My pleasure!

Danise

« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2004, 05:23:39 PM »

Wow! That was a nice review!  Congrats, Panni!  I will try to watch it.  I think I get the Disney channel.

Thanks to Jane and George for the links!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2004, 05:26:13 PM »

Give me beer-battered deep fried cod!  That's my joy and pleasure when it comes to fried foods!  Though I do love a long-wise sliced fried zucchini, too with marinara sauce! Oh, and battered onion rings with BBQ sauce and parmesan cheese.

As stated, I am meeting up with DR Michael D. Shayne tomorrow afternoon in NYC! All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go.

A Dear Friend in Cincinnatti actually sent me the WICKED ticket as a birthday gift, the last time I was in NYC on my b'day I saw Julie Andrews in VICTOR/VICTORIA. Tomorrow I shall see WICKED after having met up with Michael, and a pal from Scarlet Street.  After the show, we're to meet up with an old buddy from carnegie mellon university.

I opted for THE BOY FROM OZ mostly because of Hugh Jackman.  I've always loved Peter Allen's songs, but, I don't think (judging from the cast recording) that they have been shoe-horned effectively into the book.  BUT, it is Hugh, the toast of B'way and I'm sure that he will deliver.

That's all from me until Monday, guys. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2004, 05:45:10 PM »

Enjoy yourself, TD!  I wish I could say I saw the "Wonder of Hugh" but he didn't phase me.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2004, 05:54:46 PM »

DR Jane, email me at DearReaderLaura@cs.com and I'll try to explain one way of smallerizing photos.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2004, 06:02:13 PM »

François de Paris

« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2004, 06:09:03 PM »

How do you do that?   ???

You simply DO IT, Jane!

You click on the mention!

--I guess you're pulling our... mouse, right? :D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2004, 06:11:22 PM »

I opted for THE BOY FROM OZ mostly because of Hugh Jackman.  I've always loved Peter Allen's songs, but, I don't think (judging from the cast recording) that they have been shoe-horned effectively into the book.  BUT, it is Hugh, the toast of B'way and I'm sure that he will deliver.

That's all from me until Monday, guys. . . .

Have a terrific weekend DRS td and Michael. TD - you're in for a memorable performance. Michael, I think you should get a ticket.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2004, 06:13:17 PM »

What is this thing called operetta?
This funny thing, called operetta...

Just from looking at the word, you can tell that it's a little closer to opera than other non-opera forms of musical theatre.  One of the things that distinguishes musicals is that the music is no more important than the words or story.  (Well, sometimes the story's of less importance.)  In opera, music is king, and fans often care more how beautifully a role is sung than they do how well it's acted.  In musicals, acting is king, and some of the great stars of the genre (Gwen Verdon, Nathan Lane, Carol Channing) don't even have particularly pleasant voices.  Try getting away with that in opera!

Operettas, too, tip the balance in favor of the music.  Ultimately, in an operetta, the beauty of the music is somewhat more important than what's being said.  To our modern ears, operetta seem a bit silly, and my belief is that their stories were never meant to be taken all that seriously.  They're not down-to-earth; they're unashamedly over-the-top.

From reading Gerald Bordman's book on the subject I got the notion that operettas are set in exotic times and/or places.  The desert.  Ruritania.  An island in the Caribbean during the French revolution.  Company, for instance, is set in New York city, present-day.  You won't find an operetta doing that.

Now here's the statement everyone's going to argue with: there hasn't been a new operetta produced on Broadway in roughly 50 years.  I'm thinking of Kismet.  Actually, I think of Kismet as a musical, not an operetta (noting the great verbal wit in its lyrics) but I can see how a pretty good argument can be made that it's an operetta.  And spoofs, such as Little Mary Sunshine, Candide, and my own Pulley of the Yard, or, Murder of the Savoy - are just that: spoofs.  You've not really written an operetta if your attempt is to send-up the genre; you've lampooned the form, not embraced it.

Some say A Little Night Music is an operetta, and I'd agree that Scandanvia's a somewhat exotic place and the music aspires to an operetta-like frothiness.  But the lyrics are incredibly important, and the book scenes, most of them, play very realistically.  For these reasons, A Little Night Music isn't an operetta.

So, what operettas have been written and produced in the past 50 years?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2004, 06:22:53 PM »

You simply DO IT, Jane!

You click on the mention!

--I guess you're pulling our... mouse, right? :D

Nooooo.  :-[  Where is the mention?  I can't find it.

George

« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2004, 06:22:59 PM »

"CLICK HERE"

How do you do that?   ???

Type WITH NO SPACES WHATSOEVER:
  • an open bracket
  • then "url=" (without the quotes)
  • then the actual URL
  • then close bracket
  • then type what you want to show, in this case "CLICK HERE" and you can have all the spaces you want at this point
  • then another open bracket
  • then "/url"
  • then a close bracket
I added here spaces so that it won't work and you can see the construction:

[url = http : // www .the_url_goes_here. com]Type what you want to show[ / url]

So, when it all works, you get this:  CLICK HERE.

And what I usually like to do is make it BOLD so that it stands out!

Or you can make bold and CHANGE THE COLOR!

If you quote my message, you can see exactly how it works!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up