Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ZOOM  (Read 13549 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:ZOOM
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2004, 06:47:05 PM »

Tom Stoppard:

Wife:  You made love to me while I was asleep?

Husband: I wanted to try it once without you talking.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2004, 06:49:17 PM »

Oh!  Oh!  OH!

I heard from a friend of mine in L.A. who also had the unfortunate "pleasure" of seeing The Ten Commandments.  She said she spent most of the show in shock.  She just couldn't believe how bad the show was, and that all the reviews were actually right.  She saw it this past weekend, and said there were still some very noticable technical glitches.  Who knows?  Maybe some of those "glitches" aren't really glitches at all, but the way they're supposed to be.

I've also noticed how the latest press releases have changed their wording in regards to the show touring after it closes in L.A.  Instead of saying the show "will be opening" in New York and other cities, they now say "may go onto other cities including New York..."  Very, very interesting.
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2004, 06:49:54 PM »

Panni, good luck and thank you for your input.  :D

Yes, he did, Elmore.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

François de Paris

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2004, 06:55:49 PM »

JRand, RLP has the lyric right...Eros stands in Picadilly Circus (which isn't really Eros...but that's another story); Nelson stands in Trafalgar Square, but it wasn't until I saw the lyric printed in a copy of Bricusse's musical SHERLOCK HOLMES (for which he appropriated London Is London from CHIPS), did I realize it wasn't "'ere I stands in Picadilly Circus", but "Eros stands in Picadilly Circus"...But who knows...Maybe originally it was "ere I stands" and, for Sherlock Holmes, Bricusse changed the lyric to "Eros stands"...

But it is the one song that The Lovely Wife & I sing repeatedly while meandering through London which we will be doing very soon again.

... and it's one hell of a song to sing!! :o

When does one catch one's breath to keep in rhythm????

I wanna see New England too.... and Grand Canyon.... and the National Parks BEFORE Dubuya turn them into privately owned properties, and before they all are polluted!

I wanna see more of Canada, Australia, more of Austria, Germany, more of my own country, France, Italy - NEVER been there!-, Ireland....

Hummmm.... I guess that'll be in another life, because in this one, I'll never have the time AND the money!

But... I can dream :D....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2004, 07:18:06 PM »

Re TOD:

I'd like to see the Scandanavian countries, I think.  And travel through Italy, which should be a marvelous way to gain weight.

And Australia.

And, closer to home, New Orleans.  But not during Mardi Gras, because I don't do crowds well.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2004, 07:21:37 PM »

Tom and Colin should arrive in Paris October 12!

I haven't received anymore news from them since the short note on the card i got from England a few weeks ago! (... and that I mentioned on this here site then, DR Danise)

DR Ben; interval has to be British because, in Chiracland, we say "entracte"....

The Oz friends must be quite busy driving the byroads of France!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2004, 07:22:05 PM »

I do hope dear reader Jane gets to a computer so we can hear how much fun she's having.

I was just fast-forwarding through Gas! after watching the first twenty minutes.  It's one of the worst movies ever made and it's easy to see why it went virtually unreleased.  That said, Cindy Williams (her first screen appearance), Bud Cort (his second after his walk-on in Sweet Charity), Ben Vereen (ditto, after dancing in the film of SC), Tally Coppola (later to be Talia Shire), etc.  

I think I shall perhaps watch It's Alive this evening - if not, I may try Tess, although I just finished Fearless Vampire Killers and may save my next Polanski for the weekend.

François de Paris

« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2004, 07:23:47 PM »

New Page...

... and we forgot to do the Tom Stoppard Two Steps!

François de Paris

« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2004, 07:25:59 PM »

I gather that Gas!... is gastastrophic then!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2004, 07:26:04 PM »

We have spent the day driving around southern Delaware again, taking pictures of dogs for the Rescue Society.  One was billed as a Shepherd mix, but der B thought more a border collie.  The other two were a Dalmatian and a spaniel mix.

What is sad is how short a notice the Rescue Society gets on placing these animals.  The owners have just a few days before they move, or some other excuse.  It would be so much easier to place the dogs (and cats, they try to place cats, too) if there was more time to interview the prospective new owners, and let the people meet the pets.

I have a feeling that der B and I may be fostering a few dogs somewhere down the line, until better foster homes can be found.  That's going to make our lives a little more hectic.

A little?  Understatement.

BK, if you are really interested in a pet, I'd suggest getting ahold of the Rescue Societies in your area.  They want to match the pet with the new owner as best as they can.  I've a hunch you could give an older dog a good home, and find a good companion that way.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2004, 07:29:26 PM »

Other dog news:

Rehoboth Beach is hosting a gathering of greyhounds and their owners this weekend.  I understand there will be more than 3000 roaming our streets.  (The dogs, not counting owners.)

I don't think I'd want a greyhound as a pet.  They're far too skittish, and tend to get injured easily.

But that's me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2004, 07:32:33 PM »

I'm here to report that DR Elmore was looking fit and spry, easily the most energetic talker of our table of 5.  DR Ben's Anthony was not feeling fit enough to join us, and I'm wondering how he's feeling today.

Thinking back to that orgiastic bacchanale when DR Penny and I first met...  Well, as often happens at the end of orgiastic bacchanales, she asked me for my card, and I gave her one.  How does one spell nmemonic?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2004, 07:48:34 PM »

Yes GAS-SS is very bad, but Cindy is funny and some of the rest of the cast do good jobs.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2004, 07:51:02 PM »

We must have a ferocious festive frenzy of felicitous postings, no?

I didn't think we were allowed to use the F-word at HHW!  :D

(A joke stolen from NUNCRACKERS, thus, a NUNCRACKERS reference).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2004, 07:57:03 PM »

Yes, that Flossie from Fulham number is a winner no matter what any of the critics said in their original reviews.

It's so danged catchy.

"London is a strange and changing town...and mark my words, whatever you've 'eard, London Bridge has no intention of falling down!"

"London Is London" and "You and I" were then and are now my favorite songs from the musical version of GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2004, 07:58:29 PM »

Unless you count the FRIENDS episode I watched from Season 6 DVD boxed set, I watched nothing else all day today. I haven't been home for any extended period in order to watch anything. But I have some things lined up for tomorrow (even though I do have rehearsal in the evening.)

François de Paris

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2004, 08:04:02 PM »

BK,

I hate to admit it but i saw Claude Lelouch last movie "Les Parisiens", first part of a trilogy, last week and it is terrible!

He was so upset by the critics that, the other friday, he invited whoever wanted to attend one showing, in ALL the 400 theaters showing his film, for FREE, so that the audience could judge for itself!

To no avail! It's a bomb!

Again, it's very musical, very emotional, with a lot of improvisations from the actors, but it did not work for me!
I did not care for the characters, I did not care for the actors playing them, I did not believe in the story...

There must be 4 songs -- by Francis Lai --  and one gets to hear each song sung from beginning to end 3 times during the film!

AND so many huge closeups and scenes filmed through the windshields of cars that prevent one from seeing the actor's faces and tells you that the actors just are "not driving the bloody car because if they were, they would be looking straight ahead and not at the bloke next to them"... and other incongruities of that sort...

I am afraid Mr Lelouch has lost his touch...
Sad!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 08:10:36 PM by François de Paris »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2004, 08:06:27 PM »

Tonight I watched The Farmer's Daughter on TCM.  It was the first time since my twenties that I've seen it all the way through.  A bit on the hokey side, but still cherce.

Even though I remember that we watched the TV series every week, I really can't recall if it was any good or not.  I remember liking Inger Stevens a lot.  But I mostly remember getting a kick of watching Cathleen Nesbitt riding up and down the stairs in that chair of hers.  It was a sort of a prelude to my fascination with the Bat Pole.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

François de Paris

« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2004, 08:08:01 PM »

"London Is London" and "You and I" were then and are now my favorite songs from the musical version of GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS.

.... and "Walk Through The World With Me": Petula at her best!
-- with a wonderful arrangement by John Williams, that he somewhat reused in Tom Sawyer! --

Oh.... and "YOU & I" sung by Barbara Cook!!!!

François de Paris

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2004, 08:22:43 PM »

Panned, An Oscar Winner Offers Free Tickets "French director Claude Lelouch faces a hefty bill after offering free screenings of his latest film when it was panned by newspaper critics. About 40,000 people across France took up the free tickets to see 'Les Parisiens' - at a cost of £104,000 ($186,000) to Mr Lelouch." BBC 09/22/04

François de Paris

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2004, 08:31:10 PM »

So triste to be all alone in Paris and at HHW!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2004, 08:42:57 PM »

The only recent Lelouch I've seen is And Now, Ladies and Gentleman with Jeremy Irons.  I didn't think it was brilliant but I did enjoy it nonetheless.  From what I understand, his take on Les Miserables with Jean Paul Belmondo is really excellent - however, not available on DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2004, 08:43:57 PM »

People come, people go, like Grand Hotel.

Back to the killer baby.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2004, 08:55:30 PM »

The Jib Jab guys, who created the hilarious "This Land" cartoon, have created another one.  Though it wasn't slated to be released until tomorrow, you can go to Jibjab.com tonight and see it before the site becomes impossible to get to.

It's not as good as the first one--it repeats a lot of the jokes.  But it still made me crack a few smiles.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2004, 09:15:18 PM »

I'm thinking of going to Switzerland for one night, jet-setter that I am. At the end of the month I will fly from LA to Budapest, then to Rome, then back to Budapest - and perhaps, before returning to LA, bop over to Zurich, then back to BP. My cousin, Janos, has written me a number of emails recently in which he outlined how he'll be waiting for me, flowers in hand, as I land in Zurich, drive me to their house in a town nearby. Eat and talk through the night. Then drive me back and put me on the plane to Budapest. "We are waiting. You must come!"
I haven't seen him in over 10 years, so I'm actually considering doing it.
And I'm trying to decide whether to book seats for BLUEBEARD'S CASTLE at the Hungarian National Opera. Last time I saw it I was 6 years old. I might perceive it differently now. Or I could go see the Hungarian version of PHANTOM. That's the hottest ticket in town, I'm told.

Panni

« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2004, 09:47:32 PM »

Hey, where'd everybody go?

Panni

« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2004, 09:51:07 PM »

I just saw the most despicable ad on TV. Two grey-haired Vietnam widows talking about their heroic husbands -- then pointing out that John Kerry spoke out about Vietnam when he came back. They say that if he couldn't be trusted then, how could he be trusted now.

Panni

« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2004, 09:51:54 PM »

Look up "frenzy" in the dictionary and see my pitcture.

François de Paris

« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2004, 09:59:59 PM »

The only recent Lelouch I've seen is And Now, Ladies and Gentleman with Jeremy Irons.  I didn't think it was brilliant but I did enjoy it nonetheless.  From what I understand, his take on Les Miserables with Jean Paul Belmondo is really excellent - however, not available on DVD.

I did not go and see "And Now, Ladies and Gentelmen" because I'm prejudiced!

I can't stand Mr Jeremy Irons, even though I know is a good actor!

And I'm allergic to Patricia Kaas: her singing makes me nauseus...

Told you i'm prejudiced! >:(

François de Paris

« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2004, 10:01:20 PM »

Like Ute Lemper, Patricia Kaas thinks she's a French reincarnation of Marlene Dietrich!

Poor girls!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up