Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FLASHBACK  (Read 19329 times)

MBarnum

Re:FLASHBACK
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2004, 04:28:02 PM »

Back from my nephew's party. We had an early Christmas for him as he will be back in Iraq during the holiday. Lots of fun, but I left when they pulled the airplane out of the hanger as I knew what was coming next!

Back home I raked the leaves and gave the front yard one last mow. Now I am pooped.

I then decided to take my new (cheap) stereo out of it's box and set it up. I didn't need a new stereo really but I did need something that had dual cassettes...very hard to find anymore. I wanted just a little boombox with dual cassettes so that I could make dupes of my recorded interviews. I always make a dupe in case something should happen to the original tape...wouldn't want to have to do a whole interview over!

So I am setting up the stereo in my crampt office space/dinning room and not paying attention I lift one of the speakers and knock off of the wall a display of old salt and pepper shakers (very cute ones of animals and people, etc) off of the wall. Well they came crashing down! Broke a set from the 1930s  >:(

But now it is all set up...however, for some strange reason the buttons for the cassette player part are not marked so I do not know which are the play, record, stop, open buttons! Why in the world would they not mark them I do not know...???

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2004, 04:28:56 PM »

"They're Coming to Take Me Away"?

What bothers me about "Is That All There Is" is that it is such a damned depressing song.  How can it ever have been a hit?  Or was it that a lot of people identified with the ditty, because it was released before Prozac became the drug of choice?

;D Maybe that is why I liked it so much.  I found it funny, not depressing.

MBarnum

« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2004, 04:29:26 PM »

The cd player part of the new stereo is marked well...and I am now listening to BUS AND TRUCK! My, but that mysterious Guy Haines has such a nice voice!

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2004, 04:32:42 PM »

Oh,  I forgot, while at the partay my big brother Jeff (who is also in Iraq) IM'd us on my sibling's father's computer...several of us just happened to be at the computer at the time so it was a nice surprise...it was 11:00pm Iraqi time and he was about to head to bed. We each chatted with my brother. He will return to the US in December. My nephew Jeffrey returns to Iraq Nov. 30 but then will be back home for good in February or March. Then hopefully I will have no other relatives in Iraq...although my cousin Bob is in one of the Arabian countries, I think.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2004, 04:51:25 PM »

elmore have fun.  The Library of Congress is a place I have never seen and should.  Remind me to go next October.

Jose I’m so glad you are making progress with your niece.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2004, 05:02:25 PM »

Danise I might make stuffing, if nothing else this Thanksgiving.  Our neighbors invited us over for pumpkin pie.  I’m not a fan of canned pumpkin pie.  I like my pie made with fresh ingredients.

I haven’t watched Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer since I was a child.  It was a favorite of mine then, but I will wait to watch it again with a child.

Holiday Classics:
MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET-Natalie Wood
WHITE CHRISTMAS
CHRISTMAS IN CONNETICUT
THE BISHOP’S WIFE-Loretta Young, Cary Grant, David Niven
SCROOGED

My favorite CHRISTMAS CAROLE is with Albert Finney.  

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2004, 05:08:14 PM »

Yes, Jane you must watch RUDOLPH again! I love that special! Have watched it almost every year since I was a child. The one that I have not seen in many, many years is THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY...it is on DVD, but 14.99 is a lot of money to shell out for 1 half hour show.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2004, 05:14:17 PM »

I read a touching article on Kevin Spacey.  Seems he is a big fan of Bobby Darrin and did this movie at his mother’s urging, before she passed away.  They were very close.

I’m sitting here wondering why I don’t have any CD’s of Bobby Darrin, odd since I’m a big fan.  The radio station plays his songs often, including BLACK COFFEE.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2004, 05:15:55 PM »

THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY is not one of my favorite songs.  As a results I don't believe I have seen the show.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2004, 05:18:57 PM »

elmore have fun.  The Library of Congress is a place I have never seen and should.  Remind me to go next October.

I'll come down and meet you so that you can meet all my friends in the Music Division.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2004, 05:29:55 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back home in Richmond.  Very easy drive back down I-95.  I did a double take when I looked at the clock in my car and it said 6:50 - I had just left Fairfax at 5:15.  Very good time.  And I was not speeding.  It really is amazing how fast 65mph is.

So, now I'm doing some laundry, just heated up some dinner (roast chicken), and I'm about to check on some bills and stuff on-line.  Very exciting evening, huh?

-Although, I thinking I may go out later for scare-aoke later on.  It usually doesn't get going until around 10:00.  We shall see.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2004, 05:31:48 PM »

I'll come down and meet you so that you can meet all my friends in the Music Division.

That sounds like fun and then we can take the train back to NY together.

Michael

« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2004, 06:36:14 PM »

Watch Broadway: The Golden Age tonight. I think I actually liked it better than the other Broadway documentary. Onto the extras now.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2004, 07:04:32 PM »

Praise to Buddah that Kevin Spacey's mother was not a Vic Damone fan.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2004, 07:05:01 PM »

Two posts in two hours - exactly what universe is this?  

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2004, 07:23:52 PM »

Just finished watching RUNAWAY GIRL (1962) starring Lili St. Cyr. Poor Lili...she was a much better stripper then she was an actress! Ugh! But Laurie Mitchell and Jock Mahony were both fun.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2004, 07:50:34 PM »

Had a very long rehearsal tonight, and I'm very tired. Act I is very physically tiring for me, and when it was over, the director commanded that we jump right into Act II. Thankfully, I'm not in the opening number of the second act so it gave me a chance to recover, and the next number that I am in is a very stationary song, so by the time we got to the Village People parody, I had my second wind and was able to do it.

Am I getting too old to do this stuff? Don't even want to think about it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2004, 07:51:54 PM »

I have WALK ON THE WILD SIDE in the DVD player, so at some point this week, I WILL see it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2004, 07:59:03 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Gone to pasture?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2004, 08:52:01 PM »

Hello, fellow dear readers. I was at church all morning, at a play all afternoon, and have been slaving over a hot xerox machine all evening. How's that for an exciting day?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2004, 08:56:01 PM »

I'm here, I'm here...

Alas, no karaoke for me tonight.  Instead I did three, count 'em three loads of laundry!  Isn't that just too exciting?!?!?

:P

In other news...

I had asked about E-bay a few weeks ago, and since I was reminded again by my father again about my "stuff" in the basement...

Does it really help to have some of those bells and whistles when it comes to listing things on E-bay?  Or is it still just a matter of people will search for what they are searching for?

Is there still a market out there for LPs (vinyl) - mainly OCRs?

Is it really worth keeping print issues of Gourmet magazine anymore?  (I suspect they'll go into the recycling bin.)

...I'm sure I'll think of some other "getting rid of stuff" questions later on.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2004, 08:58:49 PM »

I'm going to attempt to watch Love is a Many Splendored Thing.  I just finished Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice.  The big question is, to eat or not too eat.  I had some air hot dogs earlier (you know, no fat grams, fifty calories each) on air buns (you know, no fat grams, eighty calories each), and I had a small hot fudge sundae (you know, a zillion fat grams, and a few hundred calories).  But, I'm hungry for something - I'll have to ponder.

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2004, 09:10:32 PM »

About as exciting as the day of DearReaderLaura.
I have been trasferring children's songs (ie songs for children) from tape to CD. They are all about 90 seconds long and there are so many. They are for a friend of a friend in New Zealand. She recorded them in the 1970's I think. I refrained from joining in the "action" songs.
I've finished one tape - another one to do. Why did I say yes?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2004, 09:11:27 PM »

The Cds will be sent to New Zealand - I guess for hobbit educational programmes.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2004, 09:11:51 PM »

I think I need coffee or tea or both!
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2004, 09:14:45 PM »

I opted for surrealism on a Sunday night, and watched Jodorowsky's FANDO & LIS as well as the accompaning documentary THE CONSTELLATION JODOROWSKY.  
Strange film, but not without merit.  At times I wish today's cinema was as unpolished and surreal as Jodorowsky's works.  The print on the dvd put out by FANTOMAS is quite nice: stark black and white cinematography, nary a sign of age.  Seeing this film for the first time, it reminded me of Fellini and John Waters.
The documentary features a speaking appearance by Marcel Marceau.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2004, 09:23:52 PM »

I watched Darin's "Mack Is Back" DVD last night. A somewhat self-indulgent looking TV broadcast - maybe it was just the style of the times. His talent certainly still shone through. The documentary material included was interesting.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2004, 09:26:25 PM »

Another Dusty Springfield Cd arrived in the mail for me today. Her material is being repackaged so much - I can't remember which tracks I have where. Albums were issued with different tracks in the USA. It's all too confusing. This Cd set has her version of Carole King's "You've Got A Friend" which should be interesting. (I of course may well have it somewhere else).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 09:45:26 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »

My favorite Christmas special of all time is A Charlie Brown Christmas.  I was a huge Peanuts fan when I was a lad and I loved all the Charlie Brown TV specials.  Ironically, though, I missed the first showing of A Charlie Brown Christmas because my family was out shopping for and buying an artificial Christmas tree.  But I did see it the following year, and every year since.  The same Christmas tree has been used almost every year since, too.

What is kind of a shame about Christmas specials is that they're not that special anymore.  Because of the existance of VCRs, marketed videos and DVDs, kids and families can watch shows like ACBC, Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer and How the Grinch Stole Christmas over and over again, whenever they like.  These shows were major events for me as a child.  Big bowls of popcorn were made.  Cushions were pulled up closer to the TV than normally allowed.  Grownups let themselves be "shushed" if they talked too loud.  And you had to pay attention, cause if you missed that first terrifing peek of the Abominable Snow Monster, you didn't get to see it for another year.  And when it was over, all you could really do was sort of bask in it and replay it the best you could in your mind.

Nowadays, it's nice that we have these shows at our fingertips, ready to view at any time at our convience with no annoying commercial breaks.  But at the same time, there's something within me that yearns for simpler times, when ACHB was truely a Christmas special and not just another DVD amongst many others crammed into my video bookcase.

Ugh!  How terribly nostalgic I am tonight!  Next thing you know I'll be pulling out my collection of Sears Christmas Wishbooks to lull myself asleep.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2004, 09:50:49 PM »

My sentimental state of mind was probably set off by watching tonight's Hallmark Hall of Fame, When We Were Grownups.  I thought it was an above average Hallmark outing overall, and it managed to push my emotional buttons at the end.  And it's wonderful to see Blythe Danner come to the fore for a change, instead of playing someone or other's ditsy mother.  She still is a marvelous actress.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up