Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CAMELTOE  (Read 91391 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:CAMELTOE
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2004, 09:40:26 AM »

Does anyone else use those daily tear-off-a-page calendars on their desks? Last year, there were so many TV show-based calendars to choose from. (The George Eads pics I've posted this year all came from the CSI calendar.)

I have one.  I used to get the Far Side calendar, but they don't make those anymore. :(

One thing I've discovered this year is the comic strip Get Fuzzy[/b].  I'd never read this (I don't get a daily paper) but a couple of the books came through the library where I work.  I glanced through them and fell in love with it!  I go to the website and read it every day.  I also have gotten the "Get Fuzzy 2005 Scratch-A-Day Calendar."  I haven't opened it yet.  I can't wait!

My wall calendar is for the TV show Futurama.  I miss that show! :(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2004, 09:40:41 AM »

Okay I have 2 sizes for the photo.

Here is attempt one.

Coco the dog in her special carriage (cause of her leg):

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2004, 09:43:28 AM »

Hmm, that seems like an okay size.  Here is me in front of the Xmas tree:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 09:48:34 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2004, 09:45:00 AM »

Also, I was playing around:

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2004, 09:47:50 AM »

The dinner I attended last night was superb. The host and hostess are both great cooks. We had CHEESY POTATOES! And a wonderous ham and divine chicken pot pie for those like DD and her bf who do not eat pork. And all sorts of truly delish side dishes. And for dessert - home-made cheese cake and bread pudding and pie and cookies and ice cream... The food was endless. Interesting company, too. Had a long conversation with a doctor who runs a "Wound Clinic" - lots of gangrene chat. Her husband is a record producer - much cutting off of limbs in his work, too. Another guest is in charge of the palatial digs of the Duchess of Northumberland (I think) in Newcastle. ("Your Grace in public, Jane in private.") And then the couple who owns eleven sailing vessels of one kind or another...
Many of these folks were Canadians and there was much Canada bashing from certain quarters.
I had an excellent time. The traffic, of course, was horrendous. It took me around 45 minutes to drive to Woodland Hills on the Freeway. On the way back, with normal traffic, it took maybe 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 09:49:43 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2004, 09:50:09 AM »

I suppose that the dog at the Jones's might have had fleas, so maybe that's the easy answer.  I hope I don't have to do flea bombs in my home environment.

Panni

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2004, 09:53:50 AM »

I agree about that Jack Benny episode with the little girl playing the violin being totally hilarious. I rarely laugh out loud at even the best of comedy (comes from my days writing the stuff - you sit there and nod and say, "that's funny.") - but I was roaring at that one.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2004, 10:00:09 AM »

Back from breakfast/brunch...  And I think I'm awake now...

My brother, Jay, was already down in the kitchen giving some of the new cookware a test drive - bacon, eggs and toast.  I made myself some oatmeal, and then we all sat down for a meal.  A nice way to start the day.

And I'm digging the new tea kettle.  The handle is configured so that when you pick it up, it "opens" the spout/whistle.  No need to possibly burn a finger or two trying to open the spout/whistle manually.  ...And now I'm having some green tea.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2004, 10:09:09 AM »

Maybe it is bed bugs!

Panni

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2004, 10:10:55 AM »

I haven't got my page a day desk calendar yet, but I have two great wall calendars. One is a 50's movie poster calendar. January is ALL ABOUT EVE. Other months are the posters for Vertigo, Rear Window, La Dolce Vita, Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman, Breathless (the French version) etc.

My other wall calendar also features classic movie posters, but all eras, not just the 50's - January is LONE STAR. Other months: The Invisible Boy, Manhattan Melodrama, The Sea Hawk, etc.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 10:11:54 AM by Panni »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2004, 10:15:05 AM »

Gangrene chat?  Lovely dinner conversation!  Bon appetit!  

Now cameltoes!  That's a dinner conversation!  

It was only one of the many raucous laugh-fests we had last night!  I surprised we weren't doing spit-takes, the laughs came so fast and furious.  But The Lovely Wife's grub was too yummicilous, too faboo, too too, to spit out a morsel.

And BK's selected evening of entertainments was equally faboo and too-too.  What a delight to view such treasures!  It is a shame that we can have somewhere between 100-200 stations of cable television and not a one carries this sort of Arts programming.  Not a one to hold the cultural legacy of this country.  A&E and BRAVO long ago abandoned their mandates of Arts programming to bring us the same old tired crap we can get on the other hundred or so channels.  The whole purpose of 100 channels was supposed to be choice.  Niche programming for every taste.  But every channel has forgotten why they originally started and now trawls for the same under-thirty viewer and ratings.  Shame!  Shame!  Shame!  And stupid!  You all can't get the under-thirty viewer.  And every statistics shows that it's the over forty viewer who still has most of the disposable income that advertisers want to get.  Most under-thirties aren't going to buy a jaguar.  There is an older, well-heeled audience for an Arts Channel.

I'm not a fan of Crustacean.  I don't much care for seafood.  And I don't much care for Beverly Hills.  I hate driving into the place and trying to park.  I hate the whole pretension and ambience.  Give me Hollywood or the Valley.

Discoveries: I discovered two plays that I bet most did not even know Henrik Ibsen wrote.  When in the theatre museum of London...I saw a production of Ellen Terry's of THE VIKINGS OF HELGELAND by Ibsen.  Having never heard of the play, I scoured my London book sources and theatre shops for a copy.  No one had one.  When I got back here, I tracked it down on the Internet and bought it.  It comes with another Ibsen play called THE PRETENDERS, which looks equally interesting.  Both are of an historical nature.  I just finished the indtroductory material last night and am now embarking on VIKINGS,  so I'll have to let you know.

Fun re-discovery:  FRACTURED FLICKERS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2004, 10:15:40 AM »

DR Jose - Most likely, Samuel French will NOT send extra copies of the p/c for the cast.  They are the worst about their musicals.  The sent me a defective 'cello book for "The Secret Garden" and when we called and asked for a replacement, they sent one but charged us for the shipping.  The flute part for SG was not in the right order and the player had to copy the part and put it in the right order.  You'd think they'd fix that because I'm sure people have complained.   I spent an hour last night erasing the pencil marks in the "Zombie Prom" score so I can make a copy of it today.  I don't understand that - they charge someone for not erasing and then they don't bother to erase the part.  MTI is notorious for that, also.  And yes, "Zombie Prom" is a go.  It's a silly little thing, but should be fun.  I read the script last night and did laugh at the end.  It should be fun.

For Christmas, I gave my true love - a set of kitchen aide baking  pans, 3 DVD's (The All Dog Christmas Carol, Hocus Pocus, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks) The Barefoot Contessa "Parties" cookbook, two stuffed animal schnauzers, and several silly things for the stocking.  It was a great Christmas.

Thanks for the gift inventory!  ;)

As for erasing books... UGH!

From what I understand, most licensing companies only check the first few pages of the rental materials when they get them back.  And possibly the "centerfold" since the books open up to the staples easy enough.  So...

I've learned to call, e-mail, complain to a licensing company as soon as I get the books - especially if there is still writing in them.  I've even received discounts and/or a reduction in the shipping fees for my efforts.  One set of parts I received were so notoriously bad - writing in the parts, out of order, different versions, etc. - I went ahead and got a hold of the then head of MTI at the time via e-mail.  He e-mailed me back, and managed to give us the rental for free!  -We still had to pay the royalties, but at least the rental was free!  I was even instructed to send the books back to the attention of an actual person in their shipping warehouse so that they could be inspected personally.  Sometimes the squeaky wheel...

But still... When I did Passion at Signature, we were the first theatre to do the show, and the first to get the parts from MTI.  So, it was a bit understandable that they were "not perfect" - they were literally hot off the press.  Our conductor/MD, Jon K. - whom DR elmore knows of - is very thorough - i.e. anal - and wrote up quite an extensive errata sheet when he sent the parts back.  -And, from conversations he had had, MTI was looking forward to having another set of eyes proof the parts.  Fast forward a few months later when we were doing a section of the show for the Helen Hayes Awards at the Kennedy Center.  Jon opened the box, noticed that they had new covers, it was a new set of parts... Then as he started paging through the parts, he noticed that none of the corrections were instated... And, in fact, some new errors had somehow worked their way into the parts.  Ah, well...

As for Sam French...  I used to deal with a clerk there who I would see at all the theatre conventions each spring and fall - he would always help me out if I had a problem.  Unfortunately, he's no longer with the company.  However, for better or for worse, if you're ever able to visit the Sam French offices in New York, then you'll gain a greater understanding of why their scores are in the shape that they are in.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2004, 10:16:16 AM »

..Had a long conversation with a doctor who runs a "Wound Clinic" ..

Where folks who are all wound up go to unwind?

der (really thinks he's funny) Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2004, 10:20:50 AM »

BK, if you have no host animal, I don't believe you'll get infested.  I don't believe fleas, as a rule, live on humans.  They'll bite you and then jump off you,  but if they have no host animal...dog, cat, barnyard pig...to live on and breed, they shouldn't be a long time problem.

Of course, you might just have mange...

A more likely answer might be spider bites.  The rain will drive all sorts of bugs and tiny critters inside.  I have a ton of ants presently doing a conga line in my bathtub, thanks to the heavy rain.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 10:24:12 AM by Charles Pogue »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2004, 10:37:25 AM »

More about erasing books....

A conductor I've worked with from time to time places a little gift on each player's music stand sometime during the final week of shows: a gum eraser (usually those really nice white/gray ones) with a small bow taped to it!

A lot of regional houses I've worked in just get some of the interns to spend hours in the copy room making copies of all the parts when they first come in.  The originals go right back into the box ready to be shipped back to the licensing house as soon as the show closes.  Only copies - sssh - get distributed to the cast, crew and orchestra.  And it actually works out better that way since it allows people to mark up their scripts and parts as much as they want.  And the actors appreciate the extra "room" to write down their blocking.

-Oh, but then there are those infamous Tams-Witmark sides... UGH!

I always try to make sure the rental parts are in good shape to be sent back once a show closes.  I arrange an "erasing party".  But then there are those times when the theatre arranges to have the parts erased by either some of the interns or staff, or even by some of the theatre's volunteer.  "Just leave them on the stands, we'll take care of it."  That's always a nice perk, luxury.

*And there have been those times where I've left any corrections penciled in the parts, AND then put a big note on top of the materials in the box saying so.  They better not dare charge me!!!

It was particularly illuminating when I was working on A Chorus Line in Houston earlier this year.  Fran Liebergall was the conductor and MD, and she has literally been with the show since Day Zero - she was the original rehearsal pianist, and the subsequent musical supervisor.  She knows the show.  She lives the show!  Well, A Chorus Line is coming up on it's 30th Anniversary(!), and there are still some major errors in the parts.  There are some "hidden" mistakes - just stuff that is buried in the mix - but some of them are pretty obvious to the ears once you play them.  The big bugaboo for Fran was the solo clarinet line right after the Cassie/Zach scene - there's an accidental in the part that should not be there!  -And it's been in those rental parts since they were first printed up, and the mistake has been noted several times in the past, but has it been corrected yet?  After almost 30 years?...

Oh, but then there was the time when I did The Human Comedy two seasons ago.  It's definitely not a title that gets done a lot.  In fact, I think the production I did was something like only the fifth or sixth one officially licensed by Sam French!  The vocal books we received were spotless!  They had never been used or rented out.  In fact, they had been in storage for so long that the glue used to bind the pages was literally cracking away, and, consequently, pages were falling out left and right.  Thankfully, Sam French knew this was happening, was going to happen, so we had no issues when the parts were returned.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2004, 10:39:15 AM »

BK - Is it possible your bites might be a rash?  Using a new clothes detergent?  A new soap?  Eat anything out of the ordinary in the past few days?  Maybe some cheesy potatoes?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2004, 10:42:20 AM »

BK - Of course, if you were in the South or in certain parts of the Midwest, the first thing that most people would diagnose you with would be "chiggers".

-And I have yet to find out exactly what a "chigger" is.  Lots of theories and speculation, but no real concrete answer.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2004, 10:53:27 AM »

Yes, the Jack Benny shows do hold up. I've been getting those cheap Critic's Choice discs of Benny TV shows, and they're always hilarious. But they aren't the ones I remember most fondly.

I was going to say before that it seems that most of the reruns I see of The Jack Benny Show are from the mid 50s or so.  The shows I mostly remember are from his run in the early 60s.  Are any of them included in these sets.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 10:53:43 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2004, 10:53:56 AM »

I'll go with Jose about AVENUE Q. (Although I learned from Jim Henson that puppets can make me laugh and cry--even at the same time).

Well, maybe I should have qualified my statement...

Who knew puppets could make me laugh and cry.. and say four-letter words... and have sex... in many different positions... and be gay... and...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2004, 10:56:27 AM »

SERENDIPITOUS TID-BITS

I received this cutie via EMail:
In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth and populated the Earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, green and yellow and red vegetables of all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.  

Then using God's great gifts, Satan created Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and Krispy Creme Donuts. And Satan said, "You want chocolate with that?"  And Man said, "Yes!" and Woman said, "and as long as you're at it, add some sprinkles." And they gained 10 pounds. And Satan smiled.  

And God created the healthful yogurt that Woman might keep the figure that Man found so fair. And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat, and sugar from the cane and combined them. And Woman went from size 6 to size 14.  

So God said, "Try my fresh green salad." And Satan presented Thousand-Island Dressing, buttery croutons and garlic toast on the side. And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.

God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them."  And Satan brought forth deep fried fish and chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter. And Man gained more weight and his cholesterol went through the roof.

God then created a light, fluffy white cake, named it "Angel Food Cake," and said, "It is good."  Satan then created chocolate cake and named it "Devil's Food."  

God then brought forth running shoes so that His children might lose those extra pounds. And Satan gave cable TV with a remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering blue light and gained pounds.

Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and brimming with nutrition. And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the starchy center into chips and deep-fried them. And Man gained pounds.  

God then gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite. And Satan created McDonald's and its 99-cent double cheeseburger. Then said, "You want fries with that?" And Man replied, "Yes! And super size them!"  And Satan said, "It is good." And Man went into cardiac arrest.  

God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.  

Then Satan created HMOs.  

Thought for the day ...... There is more money being spent on breast implants and Viagra today than on Alzheimer's research. This means that by 2040, there should be a large elderly population with perky boobs and huge erections and absolutely no recollection of what to do with them.

Being anal-retentive, I set out to find the provenance for the above.

I discovered that it is posted on all sorts of sites:

There is the Canadian Pagan site where you can link to a  Quizilla site to find out what kind of Shapeshifetr you are.

Then there was Lipshtick of the Day where I found this Kimlet-like pearl:
My husband and I ate lunch together today and I was eating my California Rolls.
     "What are in those?" he asked.
     "Crab, avocado and cucumber wrapped in seaweed and rolled in sticky rice," I explained.  "But it's not really not officially sushi since the crab is cooked."
      My husband thought for a second and then smiled, "Then it's pseudo-shi."

It seemed slim pickens (A Dr. Strangelove reference), but then I realized that the post I was sent had misspelled "Krispy Kreme"(as Creme) - furthur searching found What's UP Down South which offered up this advice:
Just in case you've had a rough day, here is a stress management technique recommended in all the latest psychological texts. The funny part is that it really works.
1. Picture yourself near a stream.

2. Birds are softly chirping in the cool mountain air.

3. No one but you knows your secret place.

4. You are in total seclusion from the hectic world.

5. The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.

6. The water is crystal clear.

7. And you can easily make out the face of the person you're holding under the water.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2004, 10:56:44 AM »

Who knew puppets could make me laugh and cry.. and say four-letter words... and have sex... in many different positions... and be gay... and...

What? You never knew about Howdy Doody?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2004, 10:57:20 AM »

DRPANNI certain dines with the Hoi Polloi, does she not?

Jack Benny and Giselle MacKenzie.....so funny.  Jack Benny taking a piece of cake - free - going around and around and eventually even ending up with the card table and tablecloth and sign...  Jack Benny and Jayne Mansfield and their twin violins....

And Jack's joke:  "I don't want to say that my uncle drank a lot, but ten years after he died, his liver won a Charleston contest."

But even after more than 40 years, I still remember rolling on the floor when on The Steve Allen Show, the identity of John Beresford Tipton was going to be revealed....the chair turned and there sat Jack....doing his face and arm and hand schtick...
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2004, 10:57:58 AM »

Nice pictures DRJENNIFER!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2004, 10:59:15 AM »

My wall calendar is for the TV show Futurama.  I miss that show! :(

DR George, check the schedule on Cartoon Network.  I could have sworn that they picked it up, though I don't think they are making new episodes.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2004, 10:59:33 AM »

I agree so heartily with DR CP - but then think how pale and imitative AND uncreative these "comedies" of today would appear if they were compared with some (not all) of the shows of the golden age?

Steve Allen's man on the street.....Tom Poston, Don Knotts, Louis Nye....

"Hi-ho, Steverino, Gordon Hathaway here...."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2004, 11:00:18 AM »

DtM you are correct....I think FUTURAMA is part of the Sunday night line up on the Cartoon Network.  Might be part of the Adult Swim line up.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2004, 11:01:47 AM »

Maybe it is bed bugs!

Ooooh!  Don't let them bite!
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2004, 11:02:08 AM »

Guy Haines singing the Schmidt and Jones Roadside sings:

Roadside,
Outside the chiggers bitin"

It's not detergent or soap, as I've been using the same brands for years and years.  I'm sure it's the fleas from Dr. Quinn, Medicine Dog.  

I do agree about Beverly Hills, and I do hate driving there, but I made the exception for Crustacaen - you do have to like seafood and you do have to like garlic, as their specialty is cracked crab (or whole crab) swimming in garlic and spices, and garlic noodles.  And I do believe I spoke out whilst in the restaurant about all the pretentious peckerheads seated around us.

Panni

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2004, 11:07:44 AM »

DRPANNI certain dines with the Hoi Polloi, does she not?

Yeah, I had to back out and curtsey as I left. BTW - One of the guests was recommending "Drawn Together" on the Comedy Channel. it's apparently a cartoon "reality show." Sounded outrageous and funny. Has anybody seen it?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2004, 11:08:50 AM »

DtM you are correct....I think FUTURAMA is part of the Sunday night line up on the Cartoon Network.  Might be part of the Adult Swim line up.

Speaking of Adult Swim, does any here "get" Aqua Teen Force (or whatever it's called)?  I watched a few episodes with my 13 year-old nephew the other day and while he was literally rolling on the floor, I was completely bewildered (also bothered, though not bewitched.)  It just wasn't the least bit funny to me.  I felt totally un-hip.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up