Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!  (Read 71539 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!
« on: December 30, 2004, 11:59:13 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are making ready to say goodbye to 2004, you are preparing yourselves for our big Rockin' New Year's Eve bash, and now it is time for you to post until the Rockin' Cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 12:00:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 12:04:13 AM »

I can tell you that this month, even without today's posts, of which we know there will be many on account of our faboo Rockin' New Year's Eve bash, this has been our third best month ever.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 12:10:52 AM »

Just wanted to wish everyone a fabulous New Years Eve since I do not know if I will be able to get on again today. I hope everyone has many good memories of 2004 and I am sending out  good vibes to everyone for an even better 2005.  HAP---PY NEW YEAR! (In the style of the Captain in Showboat)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 12:18:47 AM »

You MUST get on today.  This is the place to be.

Ann must still be catching up.

Everyone else is just sitting there like so much fish.

We'll stay all night and we'll sing 'em all.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 12:21:44 AM »

Ann has caught up.  

Seattle Symphony did our first of two performances of Beethoven's 9th today.  Real fun for the chorale...we sit onstage for a good half hour before we get to sing the Finale.  But all went well...and a packed house, really appreciative audience.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 12:21:52 AM »

Good Morning!

-Well, I was trying my best to get to bed before 3:00am tonight, but...  I guess that'll have to be one of my New Year's Resolutions.

;)

Well, I actually got some CD listening done this past week. One of these day I'll catch up on the pile of DVDS...

Here's my somewhat annotated list...

Cast Recordings
Bells Are Ringing - Another CD from the pile of CDs I've-bought-over-the-past-few-years-but-never-listened-to - or CDIBOtPFYBNL2 for short - or not so short.  Oh!, to have been able to see Judy Holliday live!

Bring In 'Da Noise, Bring In 'Da Funk - I took this off the shelf since this is the show that won Ann Duquesnay her Tony Award - and Ms. Duquesnay is in Hallelujah, Baby!  -Time for it to go back on the shelf for another couple of years...  :-\

If Love Were All - (CDIBOtPFYBNL2) What a wonderful Valentine to Noel Coward and Gertrude Lawrence.  And produced by our very own BK.

As Thousands Cheer - (CDIBOtPFYBNL2 and another BK-produced album).  I might be doing this show this summer, so...

Fiorello - (CDIBOtPFYBNL2) I think I had actually listened to a few tracks on here in the past, but never the whole album.  However, I saw a very good production done by the Arlington County Parks and Recreation Department many years ago.

After the Fair - (CDIBOtPFYBNL2 and BK-produced) Two "dreams" of mine were in this show: Michelle Pawk and Jimmy Ludwig.  Michelle just simply wows me in everything she does, and Jimmy just plain wows me. ;)

Sweet Smell of Success - (CDIBOtPFYBNL2)  I'm gonna have to give this one a few more listens.  I know the show itself had it's problems, but the score is well-preserved and presented on the OCR.  Bill Brohn's orchestrations sound great even coming out of my small boombox.

Classical
Schubert - "The Final Year" - Vol. 37 in the Hyperion Schubert Edition (CDIBOtPFYBNL2)  What an amazing recording on all accounts.  The performances by the three tenors on the disc are models of lieder singing, and Graham Johnson's partnering at the piano is no less distinguished.  And then, like all of the volumes in the this series, the copious liner notes are by Mr. Johnson, himself.  The booklet alone for this volume is 112 pages!  And most of it is text!  And there's even a second booklet which is an index to the songs and singers from the previous 36 volumes of Schubert songs.

Chanticleer - "A Portrait".  Basically a greatest hits compilations from this 13-voice male singing group based out of San Francisco.  Nice selection of music covering the early to the late.  And the previously unreleased track of "Christmas Time Is Here" was especially appropriate this past week.

Dawn Upshaw - "Voices of Light", Music of Messiaen, Debussy, and Faure - I commented on this disc a few days ago.  Ms. Upshaw's singing, as always, is direct, honest and beautiful throughout, and Gilbert Kalish handles the thicker and thornier textures of some of the accompaniments with ease.  There are some true moments of musical ecstasy on this disc.

Pop, Jazz and Other
Take 6 - "Beautiful World" - I need to give their debut disc another spin - it's been a while.

Jane Monheit - "Never, Never Land" (CDIBOtPFYBNL2)  I have a few more discs by Jane Monheit in the waiting to be played pile, and I'm definitely going to have to move them to the top of the pile.  To think she was only 22 when she recorded this album!?!?!  I've heard her a few times here and there on some TV shows and some radio play, but some of the hype surrounding her "discovery" turned me off a bit.  Now I know what the hype was about!

Lyn Larsen - "Stairway to Paradise" - A CD by our very own DR MusicGuy!  A fun and toe-tapping selection of music.

Billy Joel - "Fantasies & Delusions", Music For Solo Piano, Op. 1-10 (CDIBOtPFYBNL2) - Hmm... To paraphrase a famous quote: I've played and listened to lots of Chopin, and, you, Mr. Joel are no Chopin.  ;)  -I'm trying to figure out how many more listens - if any - I want to give this disc.  It wasn't bad listening, just pleasant - bordering on bland.  And reading the "additional arrangements" credit in the booklet has made me a little suspect...  I'll have to take out "Innocent Man" and "52nd Street" when I get back to Richmond.

And to round out this past week's CD listening, the accompanying CDs for "Benjamin Kritzer" and "Kritzer Time"  - Now I need to find my "Kritzerland" CD... Hmmm...

OH, and I guess I can include the DVD of What If? since I did watch it this past week!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 12:23:59 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 12:27:41 AM »

HAP---PY NEW YEAR! (In the style of the Captain in Showboat)
Be careful, young man!  As I recall, the Captain is drunk at the time!   :o :o :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 12:28:47 AM »

Media check:

I haven't been watching or listening to much of anything.  I just haven't been in the spirit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 12:31:09 AM »

Der B and I will be ringing in the New Year over at Cafe Zeus, where our friend and chef Charles will be serving a six course meal, with appropriate wines.

But, since this takes place three hours earlier than the ringing on the Left Coast, we should be back for some happinessing here.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 12:33:50 AM »

I should be here for the festivities.  The theatre is not having an official party tonight since only one of the theatres currently has a show in it.  However, two of the cast members have volunteered their apartments for a party since they are being housed next to each other.  I may or may not go.  I'm leaning towards not going.  We shall see.

New Year's Eve has always been a strange time for me.  I've had a couple of good New Year's Eves, but a lot of the time, I seem to be around people who feel they must have a good time since it's New Year's Eve rather than just plain having a good ole time.  The revelry seems forced at times.

I also grew up watching the big countdown on TV with Dick Clark standing in Times Square - alas, Regis will be doing the honors tonight.  However, that's still how I like to celebrate New Year's Eve - watching TV.

-I also have two shows on Saturday, and since the show is at 2:30, and I've been sleeping in until around Noon, hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 12:35:22 AM »

About to watch "LOTR ROTK"
I've been listening to Dusty Springfield's "The Look Of Love" Compilations set today. Before that was More ABBA Gold.

New Year here in  4 hours or so.  

Happy New Year to you all.  
I'm off to Explore Middle Earth.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 12:37:02 AM »

Tonight, my family and I will be dining at Anthony's Home Port, here in Olympia.  Our reservations are for either 6:00 p.m. or 7:00 p.m.  Regardless of when the dining starts, I plan to be in my very own home evirons long before the bells chime at midnight.  Actually, I don't have any clock at my house that makes any kind of chiming noise, so it'll have to be either the metaphorical chiming of the bells at midnight or the TV.  Either way, I'll be at home. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 12:43:45 AM »

WOW!  I was just checking out the weather summary for the next few days...  We could hit 70 degrees on Saturday!  What a way to start the New Year!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 12:44:12 AM »

I just finished the first half of "Writer's Block" about an hour ago (see my last two posts last night) and I intimated that I would start reading the rest of it after my "intermission."  Well, it's quite late now and I have bills to pay.  Most of them can be paid on-line but it takes a while to get through it all, which means that I'll have to finish the second half of the book...later (a Little Night Music reference).

So, I'm signing off from HHW for the evening, but (unfortunately) I'm not heading to bed, yet.  Good night!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 12:44:49 AM »

I don't go out on New Year's Eve and haven't for over twenty years.  Too dangerous to be out driving.  I like to be home, I like to be alone, and I have done pretty much the same routine every year for the past ten years or so - I think about things, contemplate things, and try to decide what I can do to be a better person, what I can do to make things go better, what I can do to make the New Year a better year.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 12:51:21 AM »

Almost 4:00AM here on the East Coast of the United States...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 12:53:02 AM »

Hmmmmmmm....

DRPANNI I did email TCM about their omission of D. Dowling and also posted on the message board there....  

DVD player - LADY ON A TRAIN with Miss Deanna Durbin

CD - Larry Moore Christmas CD!

VCR - A KISS BEFORE DYING with Robert Wagner

Well I have three parties to go to....who knows what will happen....but I will be around for awhile this evening.

And I have a mystery - I received a subscription copy of TV GUIDE - with an expiration date of 12/18/05.  I did not subscribe, so I emailed them to ask if it was a gift or a promotion of some kind.  Very mysterious.

2005 promises some surprises and hopefully gainful employment!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 12:53:03 AM »

I see Hisaka.  How's the weather in far off Japan?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 12:53:20 AM »

Bobby Darin was on What's My Line again.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2004, 12:53:48 AM »

DRJOSE I am getting very excited about MAMMA MIA!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 12:53:56 AM »

Time to sleep now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004, 12:54:19 AM »

The REAL party will be right here.  

A Kiss Before Dying is out on DVD in a beautiful letterboxed transfer - don't bother with the pan and scan VHS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2004, 12:57:04 AM »

Welcome four GUESTS.  We're havin' a late-night frenzy is what we're havin'.  Ann's here, Hisaka's here (but silent), jrand's here, S. Woody's here, George is here, I'm here - by gum and by golly and buy bonds, the partay has already begun.  I, for one, am shaking my booty, which is quite a frightening thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2004, 01:07:11 AM »

Hisaka went away without posting.  But when I look to see who's where on the site, she doesn't show up as being on the board, despite her name appearing.  Maybe she was reading the notes.  

And the rest of you, sitting there like so much fish, what has happened to our frenzy?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2004, 01:23:32 AM »

My annual sojourn to Carolina del Sud has ended, I had a wonderful time there, and I have now settled in to see out the remainder of the year.

Miss Vickie is back from the kennel where she relaxed for two weeks...looks spiffier than ever, with a fresh wash job.  She was intensely glad to get home.

I've done all I can do -- restarted my mail, taken my laundry to the cleaners, picked up my office mail and taken down the tree I set up there.

I was sickie-poo my first week away...horrible sore throat that got better, then got worse, got better, then got worse.  Finally, I went to a doctor who trested me for strep...and determined I had a nasty virus and nothing more.  I got some strong pills (Allegra-D) and have felt infinitely better since then.

The weather in Carolina del Sud was cold, cold, brrrrrr cold.  My mom, an aunt, a cousin and I had many travels and took in many sights.  A good time was had every day, many games of Scrabble were played, many wonderful meals were attended/eaten and the holidays were festive.

About to watch "LOTR ROTK"
Happy New Year to you all.  
I'm off to Explore Middle Earth.

I have just finished watching the expanded edition.  It is intense and thrilling to me.  The added scenes are absolutely revelatory, and I have even taken in the various commentaries over various sequences/chapters.

It's a l-o-n-g movie with those extra 40 minutes...but for LOTR junkies, it's heaven.

I hope you enjoyed it, TomovOz, as much as I did.

Oakland, and the Bay Area, has been "awash" with torrential rains all week.  Another storm is moving in tonight, I'm told.  Sigh.

I've nothing more to do today (Jan. 31) than to pick up my laundry before 6 p.m.  

It's a tough job, but I must do it.

I'm glad to be back.  It's great that the month has been prolific for HHW.com.  

Here's looking at 2005!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 01:25:29 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2004, 01:34:52 AM »

I had a computer snag, and had to log off for a sec.

But I should be getting to bed, so I can par-tay tomorrow.

Der B and I have had both stay-at-home and on-the-town New Years.  The most faboo was the Gala Reopening of the newly restored Alex Theater in Glendale.  We wore our tuxes, and had a magnificent time.  It was especially interesting for me, as I had worked there back when it was a movie theater, run down and grungy.  Seeing it properly lit inside was fascinating.

Last year, our first New Years in our new home, we stayed home.  Boring, but that's how it went.  Der B was getting ready to fly back west, to finish moving our furniture, and we didn't know anyone yet here in Rehoboth.  This year is different, since we do know a few people, in particular Charles and John, who will be putting on a fabulous feast for us and the others that will be there.  We don't look exactly like strangers any more, people are beginning to recognize our faces, that sort of thing.

Driving home will, of course, be handled very cautiously.  I agree with you, BK, on how the start of January brings out the worst in drivers.  It also brings out the roadblocks, with ticket happy cops willing to make the naughtier drivers pay the price.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2004, 04:05:49 AM »

Good morning, all!  I woke up at 6:30 am to find a plethora of posts from last night to go through!

DRTomovoz, a new avatar!  You look quite handsome surrounded by all the greenery.

DRAnn, Beethoven's 9th with the Seattle Symphony?  Are you in the Symphony Chorus?  And the soloists?

DRJoey, best of luck with the marathon training.

DRJRand54, I'm glad the package arrived by New Year's Eve.

I was amazed at all the DREAMCHILD commentary last evenng; Coral Browne's is quite wonderful in it, and I'm as always amazed at how slowly some great films make it to DVD.  

TOD:
CD: right now, I'm listenng to Judy Colins sing "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" which seems to sum up my feelings about 2004.

DVD:  Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, since I've never seen it and now the musical version is loading in.

VCR:  No idea.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2004, 04:26:01 AM »

DRRLP, welcome back!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2004, 04:33:51 AM »

It's snowing again and very calm outside. We Japanese (everyone who lives in same time zone) will say HELLO to 2005 very soon. I go to attend the New Year's Ceremony at temple near my place before a half hour the New Year begins and have for over fifteen years.  Attendances celebrate the New Year peacefully, listening Okyo priests recite/sing.

Michael

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2004, 04:35:37 AM »

Well it is going to be a full day. I am working today, having dinner with my mother, doing some shopping, a writing some more of my play and then going to party at some friends new home. Strange that I haven't seen them in a year, but it  feels like I just only saw them a year ago.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up