Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NAMELY 2005  (Read 53728 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NAMELY 2005
« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2005, 07:31:54 PM »

My goodness, I am getting close, aren't I?  I am in spitting distance of 8000 postings, but I won't rush - I will savour the moment and the moment will savour me.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2005, 07:32:13 PM »

Keith can’t find the key to our snow blower which means we will probably have to shovel the driveway tomorrow, only about 500 feet worth. :P

If this happened to me, I'd do my darnedest to try and find that key!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2005, 07:33:30 PM »

Well I for one am still waiting for someone to explain how the hell ketchup can be made from concentrate, for crying out loud.

The cornbread has given me superior brain powers as well. So, to answer your question, DR JMK, I think what that means is that rather than making the ketchup from fresh tomatoes, they use tomato paste. Have I mentioned that I can see through walls?

George

« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2005, 07:34:43 PM »

So BK, with all this posting about corn bread and how good it is (and with testimonials, even!), are you at least going to post the recipe??  Some of us (me) are getting tired of corn bread from a mix (even though it's pretty good) and would like to maybe try to bake it ourselves!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2005, 07:35:03 PM »

My goodness, I am getting close, aren't I?  I am in spitting distance of 8000 postings, but I won't rush - I will savour the moment and the moment will savour me.  

Please don't spit. I could vomit on the ground when people spit.

George

« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2005, 07:37:58 PM »

When I went shopping with my sister (at Fred Meyer...one stop shopping!), I came across this and just had to to get it!  I don't know if it's been discussed here before, but I was just in the mood to buy something totally on impulse (which is not a rare thing with me ::) ) and this was it:

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2005, 07:38:38 PM »

If you say so, BK.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

George

« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2005, 07:39:50 PM »

Panni, I didn't know that you had gone into the latkes business...with Bavarian variations!

Panni

« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2005, 07:40:18 PM »

When I went shopping with my sister (at Fred Meyer...one stop shopping!), I came across this and just had to to get it!  I don't know if it's been discussed here before, but I was just in the mood to buy something totally on impulse (which is not a rare thing with me ::) ) and this was it:

You've discovered my secret identity, DR George -- screenwriter by day, Bavarian Pancake Maker by night. (Actually I have a whole line of fine products.)

George

« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2005, 07:41:29 PM »

Well, I never knew!  A Rennaissance woman! ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 07:41:41 PM by George »

Panni

« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2005, 07:41:54 PM »

DR Sandra - I'm sure your pizza was delicious, but it looks like there are little black creatures all over it. (Or am I having cornbread DT's?)

George

« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2005, 07:42:55 PM »

Olives on pizza = ICKY!! :P

Panni

« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2005, 07:44:03 PM »

Well, I never knew!  A Rennaissance woman! ;D

Yes, that, too. I run a chain of hotels.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2005, 07:48:36 PM »

Well here's more fodder for BK to potentially post about:  have you made it to the "Futures" tracks on the Bacharach collection yet?  I love a lot of the music on that album (which I have on the nicely mastered Japanese CD release), but his choices for lead vocalist on a number of the tunes strikes me as underwhelming (and in some cases downright annoying), especially when you consider Patti Austin, who could have knocked them all out of the ballpark, was one of the backup vocalists.  Discuss (or not).....   :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #164 on: January 01, 2005, 07:54:18 PM »

What? No response to the solution to the ketchup concentrate conundrum?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #165 on: January 01, 2005, 08:05:56 PM »

Here's another man who bakes often. Trouble is that what I bake is very fattening, and I'm the only one here to eat the stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #166 on: January 01, 2005, 08:07:43 PM »

I watched no DVD movies tonight. I did watch three DICK VAN DYKE episodes, but then at 8 I gave myself over to NBC's LAW & ORDER line-up for the evening, all in high definition.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: January 01, 2005, 08:25:11 PM »

It's not a corn bread recipe - it's Trader Joe's cornbread mix, which happens to be incredible.  More incredible is that I made it without anything going wrong.

Say, that pizza looks pretty good, as does that finger.

"That pizza looks pretty good, as does that finger."

Did anyone else say it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: January 01, 2005, 08:25:45 PM »

Yes, a couple of the vocalists on Futures are strange, but the music is interesting - Burt trying to find himself.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: January 01, 2005, 08:32:56 PM »

Interesting fact - The Canadian-Korean actress, Sandra Oh, is married to Alexander Payne. She's featured in SIDEWAYS and is very good. She's actually always very good.
Would you care to discuss this in 8 posts, bk? (The "k" stands for kornbread. As in Korngold.)

So, now she is Sandra Oh! Pain!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2005, 08:37:10 PM »

I went to see Beyond the Sea today, Dear Readers.  With everything I'd read about the picture, and everything I'd heard about the picture (especially from a certain host of a certain web site that is almost the most popular web site in all of internetdom), I walked in expecting to not like the picture.

Well, despite a structural conceit that I thought was totally unnecessary, and despite Mr. Kevin Spacey being way too old and the wrong type to be playing Mr. Bobby Darrin, and despite more than a few moments that descend to soap operatic bathos, and despite some fantasy sequences that undermine the credibility of the whole affair, you know what?  I rather enjoyed myself.  I think Mr. Spacey does a great job with the music (of which there is plenty) and I found myself fully engaged with the story.

I guess that makes horse racing, eh?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2005, 08:43:04 PM »

I made it to the birthday party only long enough to offer my regrets and turn around and go back home.  Something to do with eating some leftovers in my frig this afternoon that would probably have been better left over.  So, now to bed, by way of the bathroom!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2005, 08:45:33 PM »

From the 1948 edition of "Mother's Rumford Complete Cook Book", first copyrighted in 1908"

Corn Bread

3/4 cup sifted flour (plain)
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup shortening, melted (I use oil)
1 1/2 cups corn meal
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk (I use buttermilk)

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease your pan (I put about a tablespoon of oil into an iron skillet, smearing it on the bottom and sides with a paper towel, and then I put the skillet in the oven while it pre-heats).

In one bowl, sift flour, salt and baking powder.  Add corn meal.

In a separate bowl, combine eggs with milk and oil.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, thoroughly moistening the dry ingredients.  Turn the mixture into the pan and bake for 30 minutes.

It's outrageously delicious!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2005, 08:51:55 PM »

Good Evening!

You ever just have one of those days that feels like it will never end?  Never ever end?  Well, today was one of those days for me... And for a bunch of other people in the show too.  It was kind of strange coming into the theatre and sensing a collective sense of fatigue and dread (for lack of a better word).  But we made it through both shows... The second show was particularly long feeling.  -And two more tomorrow...

-We also realized during the first intermission that this was our first "normal" performance week schedule-wise, so...

-And it was a gorgeous day outside today too, so...

-OH! and the soundboard decided not to power up again today too, so...

-And having half-full houses today for both shows didn't help matters either, so...

OH!  But the ham I made last night for the New Year's Eve party that I did not go to was a big success.  Many compliments were bestowed upon me.  And there were plenty of goodies brought in today too - leftovers and some fresh stuff too.  Nothing like a plate of devilled eggs greeting you when you step into the green room!  Yum!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2005, 09:00:37 PM »

Here's food for thought (literally), and, maybe, discussion:

I just noticed our bottle of ketchup says "From Concentrate."  Now I'm no cook, but what in heaven's name is ketchup concentrate?

Speaking as a son of two parents in the food service industry, there is indeed a substance called "ketchup concentrate".  As DR Panni, I believe, stated earlier, it's basically like tomato paste.  Seasoned tomato paste.  Sometimes if you see "ketchup" listed as an ingredient on some other label - like a barbecue sauce - it usually is ketchup concentrate.  This was the amount of liquid - water or otherwise - it controlled by the manufacturer.

Was your ketchup in question a store of generic brand?  If so, the ketchup concentrate may have been manufactured by someone like Del Monte of Heinz and then sold to the grocery store chain to use in their "house brands".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2005, 09:09:45 PM »

BK - Welcome to the world of baking!

Next time, for a really nice treat, try baking it in a cast iron skillet.  -Which means you may need to go out and buy a cast iron skillet - they're very cheap.  And always buy Lodge - they even have them "pre-seasoned" now.  Well...

Place the skillet in the oven while the oven is preheating.  Meanwhile, mix up your cornbread mix according to the package directions.  Place a few pats of butter into the now hot pan and swirl it around a bit - DON'T forget the potholders!  Pour the prepared mix into the pan, then bake until done.

And if you want to be really decadent, fry up some bacon in the skillet beforehand, but leave about two tablespoons worth of the fat in it.  Then bake the cornbread in the bacon fat greased skillet!  *And you can crumble the bacon on top of the batter too.

And if you want to be REALLY decadent, add a 1/2 cup of sour cream to the mix...

-I need to track down that recipe for my friend's "Slap Yo' Mama Cornbread".  It's made with a can of creamed corn, sour cream and melted butter in the batter.... Sooo good that you'll slap yo' mama!

Oooh! I think I posted it here before on HHW... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2005, 09:16:23 PM »

Well, here's one variation I found on the web... It's very close to the one my friend, Rodney, passed on to me...

Sour Cream Corn Bread

1 small can creamed corn (8 oz.)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 butter, melted (1 stick)
2 eggs
1 cup self-rising corn meal
1 t. salt

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into an preheated greased iron skillet. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. Enjoy!

Note: Fat-free sour cream doesn't work. However, you can used light sour cream for the same results.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2005, 09:17:02 PM »

And if you want to be really decadent, fry up some bacon in the skillet beforehand, but leave about two tablespoons worth of the fat in it.  Then bake the cornbread in the bacon fat greased skillet!  *And you can crumble the bacon on top of the batter too.

And if you want to be REALLY decadent, add a 1/2 cup of sour cream to the mix...

Oh, my golly DR Jose, that sounds sooooooo good!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2005, 09:18:05 PM »

I made it to the birthday party only long enough to offer my regrets and turn around and go back home.  Something to do with eating some leftovers in my frig this afternoon that would probably have been better left over.  So, now to bed, by way of the bathroom!

Hope you at least have some good reading material.

;)

~~~FEEL BETTER VIBES~~~
[/color]
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2005, 09:21:57 PM »

...I also like putting corn kernels in my corn bread... and sometimes chopped up jalapenos... a few dashes of cayenne...

However, I am not a fan of sweet cornbread which is the favored variety in some pockets of the South.  I usually find sweet cornbread served in BBQ places.

...OH!... and then there's Spoon Bread, which is basically like a pudding version of cornbread... YUMMERS TOO!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up