Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY WE WRIG ALONG  (Read 77058 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MERRILY WE WRIG ALONG
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2005, 08:58:33 AM »

Ah......yes more photos.

My question for ask BK day:

What are your favorite (not necessarily the BEST) performances of the Misses

Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Gene Tierney?

Davis: Eve, and Jane Hudson
Crawford: Torch Song, Blanche Hudson, Mildred Pierce
Tierney: Ghost and Mrs. Muir, The Shanghai Gesture

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2005, 09:02:25 AM »

Oh, I forgot the other two gals...

Gene Tierney- GHOST AND MRS MUIR

Joan Crawford - STRAIGHT JACKET

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2005, 09:03:58 AM »

Dear BK, Of all of the albums you produced, which are you most proud of, and why?

I'm proud of all my children.  I don't know if it's the ONE I'm most proud of, but, as I've said before, Unsung Irving Berlin was an amazing experience (going through Mr. Berlin's trunk songs) and the album turned out just the way I wanted it to.  l'm also very proud of Unsung Sondheim (ther first of its kind - oft imitated) and Liz Callaway's Frank Loesser album - just because they were the first two we did and because, despite the fact that none of us knew what we were doing, they still came out really well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2005, 09:04:48 AM »

Hisaka: I thought I'd posted a Crescent Heights one, but I guess I didn't.  I will be resizing the rest of the photos shortly.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2005, 09:05:30 AM »

BK question.

I picked up the DVD of THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL this weekend and began watching it last night (had to stop in order to watch THE AMAZING RACE).

Besides Cindy Williams, what other cast members are you still in touch with from that film.

Also, what is the story behind the gal who plays Joy Full...she just cracks me up. Whatever happened to her?

(Of course some of this might be answered in the DVD commentary, but I have not yet listened to that.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2005, 09:05:46 AM »

I love sleep mode.  I used to turn my Dell off at night, and it would take a good ten minutes getting it on, loaded, and starting up AOL.  I just tapped the space bar and voila, there I was.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2005, 09:06:27 AM »

My Ask BK questions are:

1.  How many acolytes do you have, and where do you usually keep them whilst they are doing your bidding?

2.  Whom in your career did you most enjoy excoriating?

;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2005, 09:09:09 AM »

WARNING: THERE IS A MAJOR SPOILER IN THIS REVIEW

TheaterMania's REVIEW of WRITER'S BLOCK:

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/5501
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 09:21:53 AM by bk »

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2005, 09:16:25 AM »

DISCUSSION OF LAST NIGHT'S AMAZING RACE:

Okay it doesn't surprise me that in last week's TO BE CONTINUED episode they made it seem like the wrestlers were out.  But does anybody else find it maddening that they got to the gate first and proceeded to get the #1 card.  I really do not find this team to be very useful.

There are a couple more teams who I think should go (they just don't seem to finish near the top).  Adam/Rebecca are one.

I also really dislike Victoria/Jonathan.  He is like a Jekyll and Hyde, because sometimes he is so sweet.  But if I hear him yell at her again I will scream.  However, I also cannot take her constant whining.  Eat the soup!  I'm sure it was horrible.  But I actually really admired Rebecca for the way she didn't complain and gobbled it down.

I replayed the gate incident a bunch of times and have no idea who hit Freddie in the head.  His tantrum was kind of funny.  I was glad his team wasn't eliminated.

I also thought it was obvious that they were simply editing the final run to the pit stop to make it look like the two teams were neck and neck.  But clearly the last placed team had not arrived at the soup place in time.  So I knew they were toast.

It was a good episode.  But I didn't like it that the team who should have finished last, ending up getting the fast forward.  But I suppose with their talent (or lack of it), they probably have little chance of winning.

I am very impressed again with kris and jon.  No matter what obstacles they face, they always finish top 2.

Btw, that waterpolo guy was not really a champ was he? :)

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2005, 09:18:13 AM »

Ah MBarnum, I see you watched last night's Amazing Race. Yeah!

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2005, 09:25:04 AM »

Hmmm, I'm just reading the review I posted now. "Yet, despite haphazard grammar and a gaping hole in its logic" - that's sort of mean!

Warning.  There are some SPOILERS in this review.  Especially about the twist.  So you might not want to read it if you haven't read the book yet.

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2005, 09:26:43 AM »

LOL DR Jennifer! Yep I stayed up and watched it this time.

Good episode. Freddy's getting so upset over the gate incedent was a bit ridiculous. The other girl who got hit by the gate didn't make a fuss at all...of course she doesn't make a living with her face, I guess. But really Freddy and Kendra I do not care for that much.

I also like Jon and Chris. Jon cut a fine figure at the water polo game!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2005, 09:27:32 AM »

Gene Tierney:  "Leave Her to Heaven" and "The Razor's Edge" -- two amazing female "villainesses" and played to perfection without a false note.  "Laura" -- absolutely perfect mystery heroine, again with no false note.

Bette Davis:  "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex," "Jezebel," "Now, Voyager," "The Little Foxes," "The Letter," "All This and Heaven, Too", "Dark Victory," "All About Eve," "The Virgin Queen," "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" and "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte."

Joan Crawford: "The Women," "A Woman's Face", "Autumn Leaves."

« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 09:29:51 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2005, 09:27:33 AM »

My Ask BK questions are:

1.  How many acolytes do you have, and where do you usually keep them whilst they are doing your bidding?

2.  Whom in your career did you most enjoy excoriating?

;D

I keep twelve acolytes (along with my leaping lords and laying geese) in the closet whilst they do my every bidding.  They're in there now, bidding on a still from Li'l Abner on eBay.

I had a good deal of fun excoriating CoRA.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2005, 09:31:02 AM »

I'm very pleased with that review, even though it gives away something it shouldn't (he obviously didn't think that twist was so important).  I'd be interested to know what the gaping hole in its logic is, as I was very careful not to leave any gaping holes in logic.  Perhaps gaping holes are subjective.  But it's a really well-thought-out review and pretty much a rave and I'm thrilled to have it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2005, 09:33:42 AM »

Jennifer: I don't think his comments are mean at all.  I think he thought there was a hole in its logic somewhere - but unless I knew what that hole was, I wouldn't be able to address what he's thinking.  No one else has thought there was a hole in the book's logic, so I'm really curious - it could be a mis-perception on his part or maybe there is one that got by me and that no one else has caught.  As for "haphazard grammar" sure.  Sometimes it's haphazard and sometimes it's on purpose.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2005, 09:35:21 AM »

LOL DR Jennifer! Yep I stayed up and watched it this time.

Good episode. Freddy's getting so upset over the gate incedent was a bit ridiculous. The other girl who got hit by the gate didn't make a fuss at all...of course she doesn't make a living with her face, I guess. But really Freddy and Kendra I do not care for that much.

I also like Jon and Chris. Jon cut a fine figure at the water polo game!

I think Freddie (or however you spell it) did go a bit overboard.  But I do understand why he was mad.  That must have really hurt!  Plus it put them at a huge disadvantage (getting almost the last number).

It was pretty funny listening to him though: "when i find out who did this, i will break them in half." :)

Yep Kris and Jon are really sweet.  I've never seen a couple who never argues.

Well maybe the "daughter" who got hit didn't make a big deal because she didn't get hit as hard.  

I do see why you don't like kendra.  She seems a bit spoiled.  But I think they make a good team, and seem to mostly do well in the standings.

Right now though I see Jon/Kris, jonathan/victoria (unfortunately) and either hayden/aaron or Kendra/freddie as the final 3.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2005, 09:35:37 AM »

"God Bless Bruce Kimmel"

These words are part of Peter Filichia's current column over at Theatremania, all about smaller record labels keeping the cast album alive.

Don't know if this has been brought up before - any comments?

It's good to be mentioned by Filichia, as his readers from last October know  (http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/5220)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2005, 09:36:23 AM »

All right, some more Kritzer photographs:

Here is the back of the school yard at Crescent Heights.  All that space in the foreground was where Mrs. Wallett's bungalow was located.  To the right was what used to be the lunch area, where Benjamin first laid eyes on Susan Pomeroy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2005, 09:36:28 AM »

Re:  hole in logic.   Without giving away too much, I believe he's referring to the "secret e-mailer."  I'm not sure if it's a "gaping" hole in logic, but it is the only plot device that seemed (to me, anyway--please don't excoriate me) a little contrived.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 09:37:35 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2005, 09:37:38 AM »

Here is the house where Paul Daley (Benjamin's friend from Kritzerland) lived.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2005, 09:38:39 AM »

Re: the review

Yes, he clearly spent a lot of time on it.  I'm not sure what he thought was the hole in logic.  But I'm thinking it had to do with the twists (that is how it came across to me).

He used some big words.  But to me "haphazard" was meant in a negative way - that's why I said I thought it was mean.  

You should ask him to clarify the hole for you.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2005, 09:42:10 AM »

DR JMK - You may want to post a Spoiler Alert before your previous post...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2005, 09:46:11 AM »

Contrived it may be (although it's carefully explained in the last chapter), but it's not a "hole".  Perhaps one could conceive it as such, but it really isn't, at least not in my mind.

Here is a photograph of the alley that led to the back of Susan Pomeroy's duplex.  When I was writing the book it was the one location I thought I had to be totally mis-remembering.  I didn't go back to the neighborhood until months after I'd finished the book - I wanted it all to be from my memory.  I drove around and saw that all the details were correct - I then drove to the alley and I was hornswoggled to see I was right in my memory.  The newer duplex that's there now had a stairway leading up to the back door, directly from the alley.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2005, 09:49:35 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

Ah, Sleep!

:)

-Although, if "Flower Drum Song" had come on again last night during the wee hours of the morning, I probably would have watched it again.

Question for BK - Are you planning on getting an iPod now?

*And, actually, iPods come in handy for more than just storing music.  Computer techs use them as backup storage devices - which come in handy when transferring files to a new computer.  -I was about to suggest yesterday that while you were running around yesterday buying your wireless stuff, that you might as well go ahead and buy an iPod while you were out...

-Oh, and PC's have a Sleep Mode too.  I use it frequently, especially when I'm just "shutting down" during the day for a little while (lunch, running an errand, etc.).
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2005, 09:54:56 AM »

DR Panni, that is a cool chicken! You should take pictures of him in various parts of the home environment!

Excellent idea, DR MBarnum! I'll do it later today

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »

Ah MBarnum, I see you watched last night's Amazing Race. Yeah!

I watched it, too.  I wish I had taped it.  Aside from the gate incident, I wouldn't have minded going over some of the water polo segments.  As Bob Hope would say, "Grrrrrrrrroawllllll!"

The set up for the water polo task made it much more difficult than it actually was.  The water wasn't actually even at regulation depth--Freddy and Aaron both looked like they were standing on the bottom.  And as you pointed out, Jen, that goalie was pretty bad.  The most difficult aspect of the task probably was the guys squeezing themselves into the speedoes (grrrrrrrrroawllllll!)  Can you imagine if the father and daughter team went for the water polo?

And while the soup thing grossed me out, I kind of want to try a small bowl of it anyway.

I also like Kris and Jon more after this episode and I hope that they are the winners.  I'm finding that the other two model/actor teams are getting on my nerves.  The wrestlers and Adam and Rebecca I can take or leave--I doubt that either team will last beyond the next two episodes.  And I once again state my hope that Mr. Yell-ow will meet with a painful accident.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2005, 09:55:57 AM »

I am in booooring meetings almost all day.  Yawn...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2005, 09:56:49 AM »

I think I have been reading too many of the horror stories from the devastation in Asia...which is all so very sad...and difficult to comprehend.

Indeed, it is.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2005, 10:05:34 AM »

DRPANNI - I meant to post that I do believe indeed that that is a Rooster!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up