Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY WE WRIG ALONG  (Read 77050 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:MERRILY WE WRIG ALONG
« Reply #300 on: January 05, 2005, 10:05:50 PM »

Back from Finding Neverland.  It gets my vote for everything this year.  Blubbed like a baby through vast stretches of it.  Depp is the best actor working today.

BK, I could have told you the agent wouldn't readthe book; will probably never read it.  The vast majority of agents...despite their reps...only go for the easy score.  Anything that takes energy, imagination, or thinking outside the norm rarely happens.  In my thirty-odd years, I have found most agents function as bulletin boards...it is one's own individual drive and talent that accomplishes things.  They love you when you're hot; then their job is easy...I'm still looking for these agents you hear people thank on awards shows, "My dear friend and agent who has been with me for thirty-five years through thick and thin."  Who are these guys?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #301 on: January 05, 2005, 10:14:17 PM »

OH!  A later in the day question for Ask BK Day...  On the way into the show tonight, I was talking with my college choral prof and we wondered...

Do you think it would be possible for some of the "distinct" voices of the Golden Age - or even slightly before that and after that - to make it in today's Broadway climate?  I'm thinking along the lines of Lotte Lenya, Glynnis Johns, Hermione Gingold, etc.  -And I'm sure there are some men who come under this category.

They most definitely did not have the most beautiful voices - Lenya's voice has always puzzled me, for lack of a better turn of phrase - but they had good careers, and were identified as musical theatre voices.  Has the day and age for true character voices come and gone?

Thinking back along my own experience, especially in auditions, most of the singers I play for are "singers".  And any type of character-voice was something that the singer "added" rather than walked into the room with naturally.

Any thoughts?  -And I know this also relates to the whole "They don't write (produce) them like they used to" problem...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #302 on: January 05, 2005, 10:20:29 PM »

OH!  A later in the day question for Ask BK Day...  On the way into the show tonight, I was talking with my college choral prof and we wondered...

Do you think it would be possible for some of the "distinct" voices of the Golden Age - or even slightly before that and after that - to make it in today's Broadway climate?  I'm thinking along the lines of Lotte Lenya, Glynnis Johns, Hermione Gingold, etc.  -And I'm sure there are some men who come under this category.

They most definitely did not have the most beautiful voices - Lenya's voice has always puzzled me, for lack of a better turn of phrase - but they had good careers, and were identified as musical theatre voices.  Has the day and age for true character voices come and gone?

Thinking back along my own experience, especially in auditions, most of the singers I play for are "singers".  And any type of character-voice was something that the singer "added" rather than walked into the room with naturally.

Any thoughts?  -And I know this also relates to the whole "They don't write (produce) them like they used to" problem...

Yes, I think they'd succeed because they have what most of these "newcomers" lack - real personality and character.  They were all total originals, which you can't say about almost anyone working today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #303 on: January 05, 2005, 10:24:22 PM »

Yes, I think they'd succeed because they have what most of these "newcomers" lack - real personality and character.  They were all total originals, which you can't say about almost anyone working today.

Well, then, continuing on...

Do you think today's "typical" audience is willing to accept, to go see, to buy tickets to someone who doesn't have that "friendly" a vocal quality?  With today's emphasis on belting, high notes, how long a note is held...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #304 on: January 05, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »

Yes, I do think they'd love these people.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2005, 10:37:51 PM »

Agent addenda:  Over the years, before I pretty much stopped altogether, reading friends' scripts and friends of friends' scripts,  I also had the caveat, "I'm critiquing your script.  Don't think to use me as a conduit to my agents.  I won't asked them to read it.  I broke this rule only once and did so on my own initiative, not at the request of the scriptwriter who knew nothing about until after the fact.  I put my rep and credibility on the line because it was the only script I ever read that I thought an agent should actually see...It was very good...So I called my agent and asked if he would read it.   He was a top agent at a top agency. He said,  "Well, if a writer of your caliber thinks that highly of it, I should read it."  I didn't have to worry about my credibility.  The agent never read the damned thing.  Never heard about it again.  It was his loss.  It's still a great script.  But I should have known...they're not looking for new talent, they're only looking for HOT new talent that's an easy sell.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2005, 10:41:06 PM »

I suppose one should learn these lessons, but I'm always shocked by them.  I've calmed down, and don't care anymore - just want my books back (I'm out the fifty bucks, though).  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #307 on: January 05, 2005, 10:42:31 PM »

Fifty bucks is cheap.  An encounter with an agent can take your soul.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #308 on: January 05, 2005, 11:11:29 PM »

Finished Alias.  It was enjoyable, as they all are, but some of their "surprises" get laughable if you've been with the show from the start.  It's like the push me-pull you from Dr. Dolittle.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #309 on: January 05, 2005, 11:17:15 PM »

-Actually, it would be neat if TV networks did that.  Show the whole sitcom, then give the viewer a nice break to go to the bathroom, make a phone call, get something to eat, etc.  -Although, I'm guessing the advertisers would not be too happy with that arrangement.

I think they do that in France...but I could be wrong

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #310 on: January 05, 2005, 11:20:41 PM »

As much as I would like to do some serious late-night denizening tonight, my body is telling me to get some sleep.  Soon.  Now.  So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #311 on: January 05, 2005, 11:23:56 PM »

Ann, it's up to you and me.  Have you caught up?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #312 on: January 05, 2005, 11:30:37 PM »

...I'm still looking for these agents you hear people thank on awards shows, "My dear friend and agent who has been with me for thirty-five years through thick and thin."  Who are these guys?
Travel agents.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #313 on: January 05, 2005, 11:33:24 PM »

I have indeed caught up.  I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of questions, though...I seem to be fresh out

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #314 on: January 05, 2005, 11:35:35 PM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  Someone ask a fershluganah question.  I'll be in the shower for ten minutes, if that's of interest to any of our GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #315 on: January 05, 2005, 11:56:47 PM »

Oh, I SEE - I go take a shower and everyone sits there like so much fish.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #316 on: January 05, 2005, 11:57:57 PM »

I need to scan something.  What shall it be?  Something fun and unique.  Perhaps tomorrow I'll pull out my professional photos from when I was fifteen.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up