Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLOBAL NOTES  (Read 81531 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE GLOBAL NOTES
« Reply #270 on: January 07, 2005, 01:16:17 PM »

Who who knew Lada was Penelope Ann in the movie BYE BYE BIRDIE - and does anyone have the HULLABALLOO box sets?

I am thinking that show would be very difficult to explain today....and I wouldn't want to be the guy in the meeting who had to pitch it to the execs!   8)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 01:38:39 PM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #271 on: January 07, 2005, 01:19:24 PM »

And Joey Heatherton.  Although that might be scary.  Is she still with us?

Scary is right: (From PerfectPeople)
In 1971, her marriage to football player Lance Rentzel ended in tabloid scandal when he was arrested for indecent exposure in front of a young girl. The 70s also brought an end to her popularity. Her look, style and attitude went completely out of vogue and she found herself unwanted and unemployed. Mounting problems with drugs (cocaine) certinaly didn't help. She was arrested multiple times for possession and the effects of her addiction started affecting her mental faculties. An eating disorder ravaged her once dynamite looks and nearly killed her. A few attempted comebacks have been abortive. For someone who had the world on a string, she certainly is a prime example of how luck can change so quickly in Hollywood.

Hmmm..seem she took BK's seventh veil!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #272 on: January 07, 2005, 01:22:16 PM »

DR Danise, good news about your mom.  So what was wrong with her?

DR Jose, I know the french version of NDDP will be playing here this summer.

And yes I think the version in London was pretty much the same version as the dvd, except the show was in English.

I've seen the show a few times here in french.  And loved it every time.  When it went to London, of course I wanted to go, and made me and my sister enter a local contest (to win tix to see it in london).  The funny thing was that I entered every single day (you had to call in a clue seen on tv).  I gave my sister the clue one day.  AND IT WAS HER CALL THAT WON.

You know how when they reveal winners on tv, they make it look like the winners don't know.  Well that wasn't true.   They had pulled her name days before it was drawn.  The only problem was that she was out of town on a trip with her boyfriend (now husband).  The people doing the contest needed to check some things before giving her the prize.  And I was terrified that a) they wouldn't be able to reach her in time and b) that my sis would not take me on the trip. :)

Luckily for me, my sister's boss was able to give the info.  And when she called home we gave her the news.  And I guess since I had made her enter (and since her hubby had no vacation time) we had agreed that she would take me.

So we got to see the show and go backstage and meet the cast!

Oh and they paid for the whole trip (hotel/flight/tix to show) ... everything except all the other shows we went to see! (although they did give my sis spending money).

Geez, didn't mean to ramble so much.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #273 on: January 07, 2005, 01:24:33 PM »

JRand54,

Yep, that's Joey today when I see her at the shows...as BK said, Scary...and sad...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #274 on: January 07, 2005, 01:24:51 PM »

Well….. Hello! (a Sunset Blvd reference)

First of all, last night’s performance went very well.  We played to a somewhat small, but enthusiastic audience, including several local dignitaries.  The final scene of the first act (one of the two scenes I worried about), received a very enthusiastic response.  Will I still be nervous about tonight’s official opening night performance (you’re damn right)?  However, I do feel a little more comfortable after getting through last night’s performance.  It must have been all those positive vibes from all you lovely people.

Secondly, I found myself taken down a peg this morning, but in a good way, I suppose.  For the past week or so, the unofficial murmurs and rumblings about my performance in this production have started to build to an audible level.  Friends have called to tell me that they have heard this or that about my performance second or third-hand from other friends or associates.  Last night, one of the dignitaries at the show, turned out to a local theater director whose opinion I value.  He actually waited around until I came out from backstage to tell me that this was, without question, the finest work I have ever done on stage.  I was, naturally, humbled and quite overwhelmed by his response.  But, by the time I got had gotten home last night, my humility had given way to rather enthusiastic optimism and ego-building.

Well, this morning, a preview / review / article / playwright interview appeared in the entertainment section of our local newspaper.  I had been told that it would be in the paper, so I probably grabbed the newspaper from in front of my apartment with a little more swagger than usual.  The article / interview was extremely positive, recommending the show highly to baseball fans and non-fans alike, as well as just about anyone who appreciates good and inventive new theater.  The article rightfully mentioned several of the actors in the show, and in particular, the actor playing Jackie Robinson.

And as for me?   I was mentioned once, only in passing, as the actor appearing in one of the scenes with the actor playing Jackie Robinson.  I sat there kind of staring at the article for some time, until I started hearing a very strange sound in the room.   I eventually figured out that the sound was nothing more than the sound of the excess air being let out of my, apparently, over-inflated ego.  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2005, 01:26:16 PM »

Perhaps TCB has been tarred and feathered and unable to post.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2005, 01:26:40 PM »

Forget that!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2005, 01:28:54 PM »

Gald to hear it went well TCB.  Break your other leg for the official opening.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2005, 01:29:11 PM »

KEEP THE PERVERTS OUT OF OUR SCHOOLS!

Reminds me of one of my college classes, EDCS444: Education Issues and Law.  Generally referred to by us education majors as "Don't Sleep With Students 101."
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2005, 01:32:25 PM »

Scary is right: (From PerfectPeople)

Hmmm..seem she took BK's seventh veil!

der Brucer

Not to mention my bra.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 01:33:15 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2005, 01:33:54 PM »

How long does the show run, TCB?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2005, 01:34:59 PM »

Reminds me of one of my college classes, EDCS444: Education Issues and Law.  Generally referred to by us education majors as "Don't Sleep With Students 101."

A class many teachers in the system today apparently slept through...

Tomovoz

« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2005, 01:36:24 PM »

Interesting turn of phrase Ann.
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2005, 01:37:01 PM »

TCB - I'm so glad the performance went so well!  I intend to catch it sometime during the run.  Don't pay much heed to newspaper reviewers...only one person's opinion and all that.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2005, 01:39:07 PM »

Interesting turn of phrase Ann.

Ha!  Unintentional, I assure you.

My stomach is suddenly not feeling well.  Either my emotions are getting the better of me, or I've really got to lay off the bottled coffee drinks...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2005, 01:41:57 PM »

Joey's bra may be lifting - but it ain't separating!!!  Must NOT be Howard Hughes garment!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2005, 01:42:12 PM »

I tell you - the Limbo, Lada Edmund, Jr., Joey Heatherton, rain songs, an excellent performance by a hainsie/kimlet... Where else on all the Internet can you read such wonderful things?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2005, 01:42:50 PM »

Ann, don't let your emotions get the better of you.  You get the better of your emotions.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2005, 01:43:18 PM »

Mr. Mac Man is on his way from West Hollywood, but given the rain and traffic, he may be a bit late.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #289 on: January 07, 2005, 01:43:57 PM »

Great news DR DANISE!

Great news, DRTCB.  Been there - newspaper wise -  disheartening, but surely there will be other reviews - and it sounds like the focus of the review was on the show's subject and the actor playing it.

As for it being a World Premiere - it was on the Upperstage at the Indiana Repertory Theatre last year.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #290 on: January 07, 2005, 01:48:28 PM »

Last night, one of the dignitaries at the show, turned out to a local theater director whose opinion I value.  He actually waited around until I came out from backstage to tell me that this was, without question, the finest work I have ever done on stage.  I was, naturally, humbled and quite overwhelmed by his response.  

TCB, That's high praise indeed. You should be extremely proud of your performance.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #291 on: January 07, 2005, 01:56:11 PM »

Hmmmmmm can't find it on the IRT site - maybe it was a different play about the same subject....but I remember some of my friends in the show....hmmmmmm....two plays about the same thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2005, 01:56:48 PM »

Lada Edmund, Jr. appears in the ABC Stage 67 show On the Flip Side with Ricky Nelson and Joanie Sommers, directed by Joe Layton, with songs by Bacharach and David - which I just happen to have on DVD and will play later today - she's listed as playing a role so it should be easy to find her.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #293 on: January 07, 2005, 01:57:18 PM »

And yes, praise from peers counts for MUCH, DR TCB!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #294 on: January 07, 2005, 01:58:47 PM »

After Mr. Mac Man comes, I'm going to put in some more CDs into iTunes - I want to make a Bacharach playlist of all my faves.  And certain soundtracks which have songs mucking up the works - I'll just nuke the songs and have just the score.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #295 on: January 07, 2005, 01:59:43 PM »

I loved ON THE FLIP SIDE!  That ABC Stage 67 was a blast!  Very uneven....but a lot of fun.  

Was that Robert Morse - E.J. Peaker show part of that series?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #296 on: January 07, 2005, 02:00:26 PM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  We're talkin' about the Frug, Lada Edmund, Jr., Joey Heatherton, and much more.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #297 on: January 07, 2005, 02:01:26 PM »

Unclear on the concept?

My sister called this morning, complaining that her younger son hasn't been phoning lately (or returning her calls). I reminded her that the kid and his wife have a new baby, plus my nephew is trying to expand his business and is working long hours. I told my sister that she should really learn how to use a computer. Given my nephew's situation, it's so much easier to communicate via e-mail. A little later my sister phoned me back. She had a brilliant idea. My nephew could e-mail her - via me. (And I would then phone in the e-mails to her.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #298 on: January 07, 2005, 02:01:36 PM »

While on ABC, That's Life, starring Mr. Morse and E.J. Peaker, was not part of Stage 67.  One wanted to like That's Life, but the songs weren't good enough and it was just too arch.  Still, I never missed it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: January 07, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »

Oops (spoo, spelled backwards), as soon as I mentioned seven GUESTS, three GUESTS disappeared - like clockwork.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up