Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLOBAL NOTES  (Read 79693 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE GLOBAL NOTES
« Reply #360 on: January 07, 2005, 05:05:59 PM »

Sounds like a movie  "Cedilla: the Hunt"  ç ç ç Anthony Quinn.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #361 on: January 07, 2005, 05:09:43 PM »

DR George,

I had mastered all these when I used WordPerfect, and haven't bothered to re-learn them for Word. Do you have a checklist with the various codes? Thanks.

As far as I know, it's not a "Word" function, but a Windows function (I have no idea about a Mac equivalent).  There's a program that's pretty much standard on any PC called "Character Map."  Usually, if you click on the "Start" button in your task bar, then go to "Programs," then "Accessories," it should be listed there.  If not, search for the file "charmap.exe" and that's it.  When you call it up, it lists all the fonts installed on your computer and all of the characters within that font.  When you click on a (non-regular) character, the Alt+ keystroke combination is shown on the bottom right of the window.  Hope this helps!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #362 on: January 07, 2005, 05:31:57 PM »

Limbo!  Mr. Mac Man and I did the Limbo - he's quite good at it.
Nice to know you've got a MacMan who's willing to bend over backwards for a customer!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #363 on: January 07, 2005, 05:38:14 PM »

No, I've never heard of Jew-Boy.

bk, JEW-BOY is the DVD that you pick up and comment on in the documentary...from that rack of DVDs sitting behind you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #364 on: January 07, 2005, 05:39:36 PM »

Oh, yes, now I remember.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #365 on: January 07, 2005, 05:40:07 PM »

I think I have to brave the rain and get some food, because I'm feeling a little light-headed.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #366 on: January 07, 2005, 05:40:51 PM »

Sounds like a movie  "Cedilla: the Hunt"  ç ç ç Anthony Quinn.

No, no, no--everyone knows Cedilla Hunt starred Lloyd Bridges.  Remember, no groaning allowed here at HHW.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #367 on: January 07, 2005, 05:45:24 PM »

Wow!! 13 pages and 627 or so posts! I thought we'd get that many and we have. The night is still. I wonder if we will get to 500 or dare I saw 600????
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #368 on: January 07, 2005, 05:45:43 PM »

In my car cd player the new Jane Mondheit cd.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #369 on: January 07, 2005, 05:46:59 PM »

And in the dvd player a dvd I bought for my neise to watch. James Bond with Peirce Brosnan and Michelle Yeough. The name escapes me at the moment.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #370 on: January 07, 2005, 05:47:48 PM »

Let's not forget the two female leads in The Importance of Being Punctuated, Gwendolen and Cedilla.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #371 on: January 07, 2005, 05:52:37 PM »

This a male bra

and this the description

A set of strings for a male tanpura. This set contains one brass string and three nickel strings. Note: This product ships separately.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #372 on: January 07, 2005, 05:55:35 PM »

And in the dvd player a dvd I bought for my neise to watch. James Bond with Peirce Brosnan and Michelle Yeough. The name escapes me at the moment.
Ah, yes, Tomorrow Never Dines.  Bond and Wai Thin (his Chinese counterpart) foil a fiendish plot by media magnate Roast Carver to starve the world while making them watch Emeril Live.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #373 on: January 07, 2005, 05:56:57 PM »

DR George,

Thanks (again) for the computer help.

Michael

« Reply #374 on: January 07, 2005, 05:59:10 PM »

More men in bras

just like the old tv commercials where women wore the bras over the clothes
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #375 on: January 07, 2005, 06:04:34 PM »

Started watching my Bollywood movie for the weekend, JAANI DUSHMAN....a very B-movie-ish horror film about a snake-woman who gets revenge on a group of college students.

Although the main characters are young college students, the actors playing them are all in their late 30s!

MBarnum

« Reply #376 on: January 07, 2005, 06:08:14 PM »

Dr Matth, I am sorry that your date was cancelled. I hope the same does not happen to me as I have an early date tomorrow with a guy I met at the New Years Eve party...his name is Heath...(yes, his mom was a fan of THE BIG VALLEY!).

MBarnum

« Reply #377 on: January 07, 2005, 06:12:01 PM »

Confidential to DR Jane...you are welcome and I know you will enjoy them!!

PS: Your in-box is full! LOL

MBarnum

« Reply #378 on: January 07, 2005, 06:13:21 PM »

I am now going to BIG LOTS to buy some toiletries.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #379 on: January 07, 2005, 06:17:44 PM »

Bruce I hope you get a second book store in NY and time it for Penny’s show.

RLP I would be outraged if that happened to my sons.  No double standards for me and I find it very sad.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #380 on: January 07, 2005, 06:21:41 PM »

What an amazing number of posts! Just saying hello. Will try and catch up later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #381 on: January 07, 2005, 06:23:03 PM »

And I must go out now and get some foodstuffs.  I so wish I had something here to make but I just don't so I won't because I can't and I shan't.  I'll be back shortly.

Jane

« Reply #382 on: January 07, 2005, 06:24:52 PM »

I'm partial to "Soon It's Gonna Rain", as well...and I adore those great Jonathan Tunick orchestrations in the film version of "The Fantasticks."

I love that song. :D

Jane

« Reply #383 on: January 07, 2005, 06:26:25 PM »

I am reluctant to go to bed tonight for fear that on awakening tomorrow morning I will spend the entire morning reading posts from yesterday that were posted after I go to bed (even though it's not yesterday today, it's today and it won't be yesterday until tomorrow, does that make any sense ;-)

Yes ;D  

Jane

« Reply #384 on: January 07, 2005, 06:33:17 PM »

Unclear on the concept?

My sister called this morning, complaining that her younger son hasn't been phoning lately (or returning her calls). I reminded her that the kid and his wife have a new baby, plus my nephew is trying to expand his business and is working long hours. I told my sister that she should really learn how to use a computer. Given my nephew's situation, it's so much easier to communicate via e-mail. A little later my sister phoned me back. She had a brilliant idea. My nephew could e-mail her - via me. (And I would then phone in the e-mails to her.)

ROTFLOL

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #385 on: January 07, 2005, 06:37:10 PM »

Dan in Toronto:  You have one heck of a unique sister.  Nothing like getting everyone involved in acquiring what she wants for herself!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #386 on: January 07, 2005, 06:39:07 PM »

JRand there must be a better photo of Joey Heatherton than that!

TCB I’m chuckling over your post-glad the show went well.

Charles Pogue will you show us a picture of Tewkes in his rain slicker?

Will I ever catch up!  I must take a break and wash a few of the new pots and pans we purchased, inspired by Jose to rid ourselves of pealing Teflon pans.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2005, 06:40:12 PM »

Jane:  I'm sure plenty of parents would be mad as hell at any female teacher who "raped" their sons...but the police and the press and the juries always seem to go easier on the heterosexual female offenders than they do on any of the male offenders.

It's a double standard, of sorts, that implies that when a woman sexually abuses a child, it's somehow LESS significant than when a man does it.

I hate that!!

I realize there is a difference between "assaulting" someone and having consensual relations.  If I understand the law, a minor's consent has no validity in a courtroom.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 06:43:59 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #388 on: January 07, 2005, 06:51:16 PM »

And now for something completely different (almost a Spamalot reference!):

It's been two very strange days at work (today and yesterday).  We're getting an entirely new computer system and my department's (acquisitions) access was taken down yesterday.  The new system will not be available until Monday, unless something goes horribly wrong.  The new system (Horizon...and Windows-based) is the next generation of the old (Dynix...and Linux-based).  HOWEVER, there are some things that are not good.  Little things like you can't right click at all!  You can't highlight, copy and paste text!  Who in the world designs a program that's supposed to be Windows-based and makes it so you can't do those very basic Windows functions??  The other thing is that in Dynix, when I place an order for an item, it can take maybe 8-15 seconds per title.  In Horizon, we figure that it could potentially take as long as a minute per title!!  That's ridiculous!!  Which means we're going to have to substantially revamp our work procedures.  I hate that. :P

And the worst part is that the "training database" was not set up the way we're going to have the real thing set up.  It's so different that there really was no point to try and even use it.  We had their training, but it was almost like them saying "this is how you do the things that we want to show you" and not us being able to ask "how can we do this?" mainly because we don't know what we don't know and don't know what to ask. :-\ Very frustrating.

However, I am the kind of person who can let go of work when I leave (and it helps that I have that kind of job)!  I will have absolutely no problem NOT thinking about this at all this weekend. ;D When we get back to work on Monday, we will just have to deal with whatever we get.  As I've said to many people here, "It'll be what it'll be."

And now, I'm off to get something to eat.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 06:52:03 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #389 on: January 07, 2005, 07:11:11 PM »

Just stopping by one last time tonight.  I should have taken a picture of Bear when I put my bra on him on time as a joke.  Needless to say, he was NOT a happy dog.

He was very angry with Mom today for leaving him.    He sat on the couch and stared up into space when she tried to talk to him so I patted her arm and said "Poor, Mom, Bear is sooo mad at you!" and she pretended to cry.  He jumped down off the couch and came right over to her.  

I shall paraphrase what I told him, "It's better to be peed off then peed on."

Have a good evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up