Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH AND LOW  (Read 68172 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:HIGH AND LOW
« Reply #270 on: January 08, 2005, 09:23:49 PM »

Oh... by the way (btw, in internet lingo)... it's spelled...

shiitakes

two "i"s
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #271 on: January 08, 2005, 09:26:56 PM »

Ah, we will get California's rain tomorrow.  Sugar will not like NOT being able to go for a walk.  We've already had too many days like this this week.  How do people in the snow do it?  And Seattle?  Do you just have wet dogs all the time?  I'm incredibly spoiled here with so many sunny days.  More than 3 days of gray skies really get to me.  I remember one year when Chicago hadn't had a sunny sky in over 40 days.  I'm afraid I would have had to jump off a bridge after Day #10!!!!!!
I like boat races.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2005, 09:28:30 PM »

Here around Seattle we just tend to get used to the clouds...and then when we do get a beautiful sunny day, people go a bit nuts...there's mentality that no sunny day should be wasted.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2005, 09:30:38 PM »

Mussshroom... Dannssssseee!

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2005, 09:30:46 PM »

I'm back and here to tell you that it is nuts in the Angeles of Los.  First off, let me say that I enjoy driving in the rain.  What I don't enjoy is other people driving in the rain.  As I said the other day, they just lose all ability to think and reason when driving in the rain.  I can't even tell you some of the stupidity I saw on the road tonight - it's a wonder there aren't more accidents.  

I picked up a region 2 DVD of Almodovar's Bad Education, which I'm going to watch now.  Of course, I had to stop and get myself some chocolate since dear reader Ann didn't get me any.

Kerry

« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2005, 09:36:58 PM »

Oh, and a continuation of a running conversation from the other night when "Flower Drum Song" was apparently on, James Shigeta was dreamy.  He was even dreamy "just a few years ago" when he played some villain on Hawaii Five-0.

Nancy Kwan looked good, but I grew up on the original cast album, so I kept expecting Pat Suzuki's voice (and I'll admit-- Larry Blyden was a better singer than Jack Soo).
AND I liked the "Love Look Away" sequence.  The whole billowing silk to look like underwater intrigued me to the point that I thought I wanted to do that  to my bedroom walls someday.  I didn't have the same budget as the movie studio, though.  The closest I ever got was upholstering an entry in moire.  Not quite the same, though.  I always liked the score and love the overture.

The flowers and the trees get wet.... very wet.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 09:45:24 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2005, 09:42:05 PM »

DR elmore - FEEL BETTER VIBES!!!~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2005, 10:04:19 PM »

And speaking of Feel Better Vibes, I could probably use some myself.  I'm currently running a very slight temperature, but it's slight enough where I feel like it is hotter - if that makes sense.  My left tonsil is still doing it's thing out in the middle of my throat... ugh.

Between shows, I went to this great restaurant, Matchbox, in DC's Chinatown with the drummer from the show - we've sort of bonded culinarily.  -I'd like to bond otherwise - he's very cute and smart and funny and..., but we don't fish in the same ocean so to speak.  In any case...  Neat little multi-level place.  Wood-burning oven.  Great pizzas and sandwiches.  And a nice wine list too.  We both ended up getting their Hamburger which was made of Angus beef patted around some gorgonzola cheese, then flame grilled, and served on a very yummy - buttery and eggy - brioche bun.  And the fries were good too!

We ended up splurging on a bottle of some Penfold Shiraz/CabSav blend - since we have about a four hour break between shows on Saturdays...  Very tasty too.  And for dessert, it was Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding with Rummed Bananas, and their Molten Chocolate Lava Cake with housemade Vanilla Ice Cream.

I was very full after the dinner - I didn't even finish my dessert!  -Now that's full!  I was at the point where I wasn't feeling too well since I was too full.  I also think the wine did a number on me - it usually does.  And that on top of all my throat stuff... I took some effort to get up and walk back to the Metro.  When we got back to the theatre, I cleared a spot on the floor behind my keyboard and ended up napping until show time - a good hour or so.  I also took some more cat naps during the show... but that may have just been the show, so... ;)

Towards the end of tonight's show, I wasn't feeling so hot, and even warned the contractor that I'll probably be coming in closer to call time than usual tomorrow - in order to cut down my contact with people in the show.   I've had this type of thing before, and it hasn't been contagious before, but I don't want to take any chances.  But I'm also thinking I may just stay up here in Fairfax tomorrow night instead of driving home just to save my energy.  Besides, we have a Noon (yuck) show on Tuesday, so I'd have to head back early Tuesday night or late Monday.  -So, instead, I think I'll head back Tuesday - we have no evening show - and then back up Wednesday afternoon.  I just need to check in on things and pick up my mail.

In any case... I'm rambling... But some Feel Better Vibes would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 10:09:50 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2005, 10:11:11 PM »

~~~~~~~HEALTH VIBES TO JOSE~~~~~~~~

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2005, 10:12:15 PM »

OH NO!!!

The strains of "A Woman In Love" are wafting from the living room downstairs.... And my Dad still doesn't know the bridge!!!!

Whew!... OK, He's moved onto "You Look Wonderful Tonight"....
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2005, 10:14:07 PM »

Well, I just finished reading Page One.  I have been errant and truant all day.  I had to clean up the living room because my housemate invited his "lady-friend" to come over (that's how he refers to her...his "lady-friend," not his "girlfriend."  I dont' know why.).  I went out for breakfast this morning and when I got back, Peter (my housemate) was there but with the 13 year-old son of a friend of his!  I had to be polite as I cleaned up around this kid.  We chatted tentatively at first, but when he (the kid) got comfortable, he wouldn't shut up!  We watched "The Sound of Music" (his choice) as Peter and I cleaned and the kid asked questions during the whole movie...offering comments during the whole movie.  If I weren't such an easy going guy, it would've driven me crazy! >:(

Anyway, after watching ALL of "The Sound of Music," we started to watch the third Harry Potter movie.  I'd never seen it.  Again with the comments...more comments than questions during this movie because he'd already seen it.  "Do you know what's going to happen next?" he'd ask.  "No," I'd say.  "I've never seen this."  And then he'd tell what was just about to happen.  A few minutes later, "Do you know what's going to happen next?" he'd ask.  "No," I'd say.  "I've never seen this."  And then he'd tell what was about to happen...AGAIN.  After 45 minutes or so, Peter's "lady-friend" arrived and the kid (I've already forgotten his name) started playing his Game Boy Advance.  We decided to stop watching "Harry Potter" and Peter let Leanne (his "lady-friend") choose what movie to watch.  Looking through my movies, Leanne decided on "Thoroughly Modern Millie."  None of them had seen it!  So we all watched it (they asked me if I wanted to stay) but the kid played his Game Boy game during the entire movie!  After a while, the kid started talking and asking questions and commenting on the movie (to his credit, at least he seemed to be enjoying the movie), but he never turned off the damn Game Boy game!  Peter and Leanne just sat and watched the movie, holding hands.

After "Millie" was over, Peter and Leanne had to take the kid home and I went to my sister's house for dinner...left-over spaghetti that my mom made.  It was VERY good!  I came back home and have read all of the Page One posts and decided to post myself before the end of the day.  Hopefully, I'll be able to ketchup (catch up) with the rest of the posts before Peter gets home.  I don't, however, know when that will be. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2005, 10:14:52 PM »

Thank You, DR ANN.

And Thank You, DR Jane for your well wishes earlier.

And Thank You in advance to everyone else...  I'm one tired Filipino right now.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2005, 10:19:47 PM »

Taking a Bad Education break - it's very good so far.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2005, 10:26:32 PM »

I'm going to eat a few of my Junior Caramels now - this is a relatively new candy from the makers of Junior Mints, only instead of Mints we get Caramels, hence the name Junior Caramels rather than Junior Mints.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2005, 10:26:51 PM »

I shall return in just a very short while.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2005, 10:27:36 PM »

Junior Caramels...sounds very yummy.  I'm a big fan of Junior Mints, and also a big fan of caramel in general...so I think I'd like.

George

« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2005, 10:48:31 PM »

I think most of these have been mentioned, but these are some of my favorite Bacharach songs:

Anyone Who Had A Heart
Arthur's Theme (someone else mentioned this first, but I didn’t realize that this was a Burt Bacharach song!)
Close to You
Do You Know the Way to San Jose?
I Say A Little Prayer
I'll Never Fall in Love Again
She Likes Basketball
Tick Tock Goes the Clock
Wishin' and Hopin'

That's pretty much all I can think of.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2005, 11:15:18 PM »

***FEEL BETTER VIBES, DR JOSE!***  

Panni

« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2005, 11:22:47 PM »

Wow! Just watched Mike Leigh's film VERA DRAKE. (And in this case, the proprietary credit is legit - he wrote and directed it.) What a superb performance by Imelda Staunton. I'd never heard of her before this film, but she is phenomenal.
A simple (in the sense of story) but incredibly powerful movie. It takes its time to breathe and let us really get to know this woman and her family -- and the world she lives in.
What's unbelievable is that the situation prestented in the film - which takes place in 1951 - is with us again today in W's America. No wonder Gloria Steinem made a point of saying that this movie should be supported.
I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 11:26:37 PM by Panni »

George

« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2005, 11:28:18 PM »

Wow! Just watched Vera Drake. What a superb performance by Imelda Staunton. I'd never heard of her before this film, but she is phenomenal.

I want to see this film.  I've only seen Imelda Staunton on a few British shows, but I first heard (of) her on the original London cast recording of Into the Woods.  She played the Baker's wife.  She was (of course) very different than (and I didn't like her quite as much as) Joanna Gleason, but I thought that she was much better than whoever played the Baker's wife in the recent Broadway revival.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2005, 11:28:36 PM »

Whar'd everybody go?  I've had my Bad Education and now must whip up some notes.

Panni

« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2005, 11:28:41 PM »

What's also wonderful is that there isn't a pretty "Hollywood" face in the whole movie. Well, except for one person, and she's the most unattractive character in the film.

Panni

« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2005, 11:30:31 PM »

DR George - is it up to us to get to 300? We're so close, it would be a shame not ot...

Panni

« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2005, 11:31:48 PM »

Ooops! (spoo)... How apt, but I didn't do that on purpose. "Ot" should be "to."

George

« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2005, 11:33:50 PM »

Are you sure that you didn't spell "ot" on purpose?  Maybe you did that so someone would comment on it and get us closer to the 300th post??  Could that be possible? ::) ;)

Panni

« Reply #295 on: January 08, 2005, 11:35:22 PM »

It could be possible - and I wouldn't be above doing it - but this time it really was a typo.

Panni

« Reply #296 on: January 08, 2005, 11:36:23 PM »

What Brit show was Imelda Staunton in?

George

« Reply #297 on: January 08, 2005, 11:36:55 PM »

If you say so.

Panni

« Reply #298 on: January 08, 2005, 11:40:47 PM »

Just read this about Ms. Staunton in IMDB. Hard to believe when you see her in this film...
"She was nominated for a 1997 Laurence Olivier Theatre Awards for Best Actress in a Musical of the 1996 season for her performance in Guys and Dolls."

Panni

« Reply #299 on: January 08, 2005, 11:41:43 PM »

She was in "If You Say So"...? Is that a B. Kimmel musical?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up