Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW ARBITRARY IS THE "U"  (Read 74255 times)

Tomovoz

Re:HOW ARBITRARY IS THE "U"
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »

Scones - such a different thing in Oz and the UK. Can't imagine Jam and Cream being served on a US scone.

A devonshire tea has scones - with jam and clotted cream.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2005, 01:26:11 PM »

What in tarnation IS clotted cream?

I will NOT eat a scone.  I barely will eat a muffin.  I like donuts, of course.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2005, 01:27:17 PM »

I'm now listening to the music from The Alligator People.  it's SCARY.  Scarier than the Mushroom People and The Creature from the Black Lagoon.  I'm quivering and shivering at what this music is delivering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2005, 01:38:58 PM »

Clotted cream is cream skimmed off the top of very rich milk after it has been let stand, then gently heated.  It is also referred to as Devonshire cream.
 "Natural Cream". Very English very Enid Blyton.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2005, 01:39:57 PM »

I only have one thing to say on the subject of scones. It's a pointless story that I have no reason to post, but I will anyway because I'm bored.

When I was a senior in high school, we were studying one of Shakespeare's plays (I don't remember which one, and I didn't read it anyway) and for an assignment, we had to make food that people in Shakespeare's day ate and bring it to class. I looked up some Elizabethan English food, and it was all pretty gross (like this thing called "love-in-disguise." Blech!) So I decided to make scones because they weren't gross.

Only, I didn't know how to make scones, which fact I didn't realize until the day before it was due. My only back-up plan was love-in-disguise, and there was no way I was making that. I don't even think the ingredients for that are legal to feed to people. So my mom bought me some scone mix. Just add water and bake.

I had to present my scones in front of the class, and I needed something more to say than "Just add water and bake," so I made up a story about how when my great aunt Rosemary came to this country from England, she brought her scone recipe with her and then gave it to me. My teacher believed me and I got an A.

See? I told you it was a pointless story.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2005, 01:43:36 PM »

Not so pointless! Brazen wins the day!!
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2005, 01:44:49 PM »

Just like he attempted with "Can We Start Again, Please?" (am I remembering the title correctly?) in the film version of Superstar.  And we know how well that one turned out.

On the other hand, that thoroughly mediocre "You Must Love Me" that he added to EVITA actually WON him the Oscar, so I'm sure he's thinking lightning may strike twice.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2005, 01:44:58 PM »

You entertain the Teacher, you get an A.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2005, 01:46:48 PM »

Teachers tend to get even more bored than their students... after all, they have been teaching the same thing, on a schedule, with detailed lesson plans, for -- well -- maybe eons. So if you can think up something to break up their monotony, well, jeez-Louise! You get an A. Or thrown out of class.
PennyO

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2005, 01:48:45 PM »

That teacher had a lot more to break up her monotony than those scones. Have I ever told y'all the story of Kudo-head and the Giant Green Blob?

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2005, 01:48:51 PM »

And ANTIQUES -- particularly FAMILY ANTIQUES -- particularly IMPORTED FAMILY ANTIQUES like Aunt Rosemary's genuine imported English scone recipe -- are fascinating. You get an A. Even if all we have to do to get the experience is add water and mix.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2005, 01:49:35 PM »

Kudo Head??? Giant Green Blob??? I'm breathless with anticipation!!!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2005, 01:50:31 PM »

What disappointed me most with A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC as a film, other than Prince's less than brilliant direction, was that the MUSIC was shortchanged. Like bk, I LOVE the new "Glamorous Life" given to the daughter, but too much of this exquisite score is missing. All of the Broadway players are just fine, and Diana Rigg couldn't be better casting as the Countess.

BTW, Elizabeth sang "Send in the Clowns" herself, but for the rest of the movie, she's dubbed by the same singer who dubbed the little girl!

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2005, 01:56:14 PM »

Finally got around to COLLATERAL today. For 3/4 of the film, I found it wonderful, exciting, and full of surprises. But, as with so many other films I've seen recently, coming up with a decent ending seems to be really difficult. The chase through the subway is SO old hat, and Tom Cruise became part Jason Vorhees and part psychic to know exactly which train they decided to take among other decisions he made stalking the lawyer that didn't ring true.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2005, 01:58:33 PM »

Leading up to the wonderful season premiere of '24' tonight, I am re-watching ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY, the commercial DVD of her entire show rather than the HBO documentary on the making of her show.

And for others so inclined, tonight also has the season premiere of CARNIVALE. I'll have to catch it at some other time this week.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2005, 02:02:07 PM »

The rain was just pounding down so hard it was unbelievable.  I yelled at the rain ("Oh, rain, stop that ridiculous pounding or you'll feel the back of my boot"), and now it isn't pounding - just raining hard.  As they say in the wine industry, this is a corker.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2005, 02:03:39 PM »

THE MARVELOUS STORY OF KUDO-HEAD AND THE GIANT GREEN BLOB

It all started one day in English class, when my teacher made us write some in-class essays. Then, we had to exchange essays with each other and fill out peer evaluations on them. I traded papers with my best friend Vespi. At the end of the evaluation sheet, there was a spot for additional comments on the essay. I didn't know what to write there, so I wrote "Kudos" because the essay was pretty good.

When I handed Vespi his essay and the evaluation sheet, he read through it, and when he got to the end, he said, "Kudos?" and laughed. We sat right next to the whiteboard, so he picked up a dry erase marker and wrote "Kudos" on the board.

The next day, it was still there, so he drew a circle around it. There was also a small green dot on the board from a green marker. I don't now how it got there, but I picked up the green marker and made the dot a little bigger.

The next day, "Kudos" with the circle around it and the green dot were both still on the board. Vespi made the circle around "Kudos" into the head of a stick figure, and I drew another green layer around the dot.

Each day before the teacher got to class, I added another layer to the green dot, and Vespi added something more to the stick figure, whom we christened "Kudo-head" because he, you know, had "Kudos" for a head.

As the days went by, Kudo-head became pretty styling, decked out as he was with a hat, sneakers, and the other accessories that Vespi gave him each day. And the green dot soon became a giant green blob. I had to stand on my chair in order to add its daily layer of green marker.

Kudo-head and the Giant Green Blob stayed there all year, and they were still there when I checked at graduation.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 02:14:02 PM by Sandra »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2005, 02:16:22 PM »

You'd like scones, BK...they're good, as long as they don't have raisins in them.  In fact, you'd like most British food...It's meat and taters, butter and sugar.  My favourite snack food is McCoys' Grilled Steak Flavoured Crisps (potato chips to you).  I would have a pack almost every day in London with lunch or my afternoon snack.  I am also partial to McVitties digestives and Hobnobs.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2005, 02:31:33 PM »

I've had scones in New York, New York, and didn't care for them because they were heavy.  Maybe I had bad ones.  But I would never have a scone with multiple grains.  What other kind are there?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2005, 02:35:20 PM »

My- I mean my great aunt Rosemary's- scones were blueberry and cherry.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2005, 02:39:16 PM »

Well, I'll eat anything with cherries in it - I love cherries.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2005, 02:46:10 PM »

Well then you should try my great aunt Rosemary's scones. Here's the recipe:

Put mix in bowl.
Add water.
Bake.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2005, 02:52:18 PM »

Mix?  Where do you get mix?  I don't know from mix.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2005, 02:54:30 PM »

We got it at one of those import stores.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2005, 03:01:52 PM »

DR Sandra - If you would sell me the rights to  THE MARVELOUS STORY OF KUDO-HEAD AND THE GIANT GREEN BLOB, I believe I could adapt it as a Lifetime Movie.
Log line: Two mixed up young kids find meaning in life through their friendship with a green social misfit. (And we'll throw in life-threatening illness and some sex - perhaps by way of the teacher  - who is as yet under-developed in your story. We need some arcs, we need a journey, we need women in jeopardy.)

I, personally, need an ark.

Panni

« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2005, 03:03:26 PM »

Mix?  Where do you get mix?  I don't know from mix.

Trsder Joe's, Vons, Gelsons.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2005, 03:05:37 PM »

Scones are a favorite food of a certain people who may or may not have settled in the Salt Lake Valley, in order to pursue polygamy and ersatz muffin making.  I cannot say more lest they come after me with locusts.

I believe DRs Elmoore and MattH have missed earth-shatteringly important postings of mine today.   ::)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2005, 03:08:18 PM »

Dear Reader Panni, that would become my favorite movie. Who should we get to play me?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2005, 03:10:06 PM »

Dear Reader Panni, that would become my favorite movie. Who should we get to play me?

Judging by your avatar, maybe Erroll Flynn?   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2005, 03:14:59 PM »

Amber Tamblyn. And Valerie Bertinelli as The Teacher with the Life-Threatening Illness.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up