Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LITTLE PEOPLE IN MY HEAD  (Read 80170 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE LITTLE PEOPLE IN MY HEAD
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 01:47:57 AM »

[size=8]PAGE 2[/size]

-I'm 2 tired 2 dance....

Once again, Goodnight.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 01:48:57 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 03:45:13 AM »

Hope your little people have perfectly gone this morning, dear BK.
Today is Ask Day, right?
Having a question to dear BK or to Dear Readers who has no little people in your heads. I’d like to have some information about a film “Scarlet Street” which I’ve never seen before. A few days ago my friend, who is talented for painting, in Buffalo, recommended me to watch it , but unfortunately I couldn’t find a DVD but only a VHS from it in Japan. I’ll buy at least a VHS and I’d like to know your opinions on the film before my purchase, for my reference.
Thank you in advance.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2005, 04:32:30 AM »

DR Jane thanks for your concern and the neurologist's appointment went well. I just have to go in for an MRI of my upper leg this coming Tuesday (The problem area) so they can compare MRI's to make sure I am not having any troubles. It's a yearly thing so don't be too worried. (Though I have been bad and haven't been for two years, but I am being better about it now.)

Well I do have cable back now but at about 10:30 Eastern Time we lost power, phones, and everything. We all ran up to the third floor of the house because water was leaking onto one of the girl's beds because it was raining. We were getting ready to help move her bed and take her sheets down to the dryer when the power went out. We had been in the basement earlier and it looked like water was coming up out of the floor and not at the drains. Well when the power went off so did the sump pump. So we had to get down there and get everything up off the floor that we could because the water was rising quickly down there. We got the girl's squared away with lots of candles and we got a few candles for ourselves over in the cottage. It was funny because we had just listened to a song about the rain and how things are always good in the end even if you can't see it.  Power came back on at about 3:30 so I am REALLY back now. (Knock on wood)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2005, 05:13:58 AM »

Secondly, BK, are you allowed to tell the "scoop" that you learned from Mr. Paul Lazarus?  We Sondheads (fans of Sondheim, and I didn't invent the name) are waiting with baited breath!...unless you're NOT at liberty (an Elaine Stritch reference) to divulge your little bit of information, in which case, we Sondheads will just have to be very disappointed until the scoop is released by some other scoop-releasing news organization.

Paul Lazarus has a very nice brother named Scott, whom I met through holiday caroling parties.  Paul was nice.  Once upon a time.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 05:17:22 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2005, 05:27:14 AM »

MBARNUM announced yesterday that coming to DVD are LADY IN A CAGE and RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE.  Good news for some some of us.

DR SARAH - LOL what a wonderful story.  I think you played CLUE a lot!

Hmmmmmmmmm....I will save my question.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2005, 05:30:09 AM »

Sandra, what a great way to start the HHW experience. I have no questions at this time and the Helena Rubinstein Foundation is calling me so I must leave. I will return, anon.

Ben

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2005, 05:36:25 AM »

News Flash:

According to the New York Times, A Chorus Line will be coming back to Broadway.

"A Chorus Line" will open on Sept. 21, 2006, at a theater to be named."

From the Times:

"Michael Bennet's landmark musical about the lives of Broadway dancers is to be restaged with the help of three of the original production's creators: the composer Marvin Hamlisch, the designer Robin Wagner and the choreographer Bob Avian. Produced by John Breglio, the powerful entertainment lawyer who controls Mr. Bennett's estate (he died of AIDS in 1987)."

I'll post the link but you have to register (it's free) at the site to read the entire article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/12/theater/newsandfeatures/12broa.html?oref=login

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2005, 05:38:30 AM »

Last night I had a very funny dream about The Amazing Race.  I woke up in the middle of the night laughing about it and then went back to sleep.  This morning I can't remember anything about the dream except that it was funny.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2005, 06:07:06 AM »

Dear Friend BK, I had a question for you yesterday and now I forget it!  I'm listening to JEEPERS CREEPERS to see if it jogs my diminishing gray cells.  And it did:  are any CDs for the first two Kritzer books floating around the manse?  I bought the first book before I knew this site existed and the second before I became an acolyte.  Barnes & Noble, of course, was quite stingy about offering any aural experience with my purchase.

I had an interesting afternoon yesterday in the NYPL Theatre Collection, helping Jeremy - my fave theatre librarian - identify actors in the 1903-1904 publicity shots for BABES IN TOYLAND.  A lot of the photos seem to be shots from THE WIZARD OF OZ (1902-1903) which employed many of the same actors, and same costume designer, because it, too, was a Julian Mitchell-Fred Hamlin production.  We're next going through the WOZ photo files looking for BIT shots.  Today it's back to proofreading on 14th Street.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2005, 06:13:34 AM »

I had an interesting afternoon yesterday in the NYPL Theatre Collection,

Elmore, is that the library at Lincoln Center?  Did I ever tell you that that's where I had my career-choice epiphany back in 1967?  I understand it's been refurbished - maybe next time I'm in NY we can go there?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2005, 06:21:50 AM »

Ginny said regarding the Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts:

"I understand it's been refurbished"

I am not one of the fans of the "refurbishment" The space certainly needed work but for all the money and time it took, they didn't do so well (IMHO). Granted, I don't use the research facilities so I can't comment on that space, but the spaces I use seem more crowded and cluttered than before. Perhaps it's also a bit of annoyance at the idiots who borrow materials which do not belong to them and then return them to the library in less than pristine condition, taking out pages from the CD booklets or taking the entire booklet, etc., etc., etc.

Ah, well. Back to work.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 06:22:14 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2005, 06:26:29 AM »

I can still limbo.

Heading home yesterday, I stopped at the subway booth (Museum station - one of the less-busy ones). But there was no attendant, just a little sign that read "Back Soon." So impatient me walked over to one of the turnstiles and, yes, limboed underneath. (These turnstiles, I quickly discovered, were definitely designed to discourage limbo-ing.) I had just about wriggled through when the attendant emerged from an unmarked door. "Hey, what are you doing?" he asked. "Trying to catch my train," I replied, pass still in hand." "Only asking because I had left the gate open," he said pleasantly.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2005, 06:27:55 AM »

My new theme song: Hello, I must be going!
Hope you all have a loverly day. I'll post and read much later.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2005, 06:33:10 AM »

Two quick posts before we head off to ladsittingland:

First, an actual "Ask BK" question for BK!

Last week, while enjoying your Burt Bacharach Album, there were a couple of artists that der B couldn't place.  How and where did you find

Shauna Hicks ("A Bacharach Love Story")

and

Melba Joyce ("My Little Red Book"),

and would you know what's become of them since?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2005, 06:34:38 AM »

Second question, to the DRs in general:

Have any of you actually been to a Hooter's restaurant?

Come on, fess up!  Tell the truth!

So, what was it like?

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2005, 06:35:06 AM »

Have fun, everyone.  We'll be back later!

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2005, 06:57:15 AM »

Ben, I hope when you find anything missing or partially missing from library materials, you will make the librarians aware of it.  A good librarian (and they all are not) will make every effort to obtain a replacement or, at least, photocopies of the missing portions and "tip" them in.  Often, the only way we in the library know that something is amiss is when a patron tells us.  Oddly enough, I just borrowed a branch library copy of bk's Lerner, Loewe, Lane and Friends and there was a "stowaway" CD in the case from something called Ultimate Broadway.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2005, 07:07:09 AM »

Yes, I make sure the librarians know that something is missing or damaged. They are usually glad to know the information. Unfortunately, sometimes, the people working in the New York Public Library are not librarians. What with budget cutbacks some of the employees working the desks are not "librarians" but civilians who do not necessarily have the dedication and knowledge to help when something is amiss.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2005, 07:13:37 AM »

The interview with Lynn Bernay last night went splendidly! Quite a lady! She worked quite a bit on Broadway as a dancer and an understudy...CAN CAN, GUYS AND DOLLS, etc. and she was a dancer in many major film musicals including SINGING IN THE RAIN, GUYS AND DOLLS, LATIN LOVERS, and DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK (!). And she was funny as heck...I really liked her!

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2005, 07:19:33 AM »

Bk, I am no expert, but I understand that eating several small meals throughout the day is a much healthier way to lose weight...eating only one meal a day is just not a very good way to lose those pounds...your body ends up thinking it is starving itself, so when you do eat something your body is going to grab onto every ounce of fat from the food you do eat and store it away.

If you get one of those nifty George Foreman grills and stock your freezer with chicken and salmon you will have an easy, clean, and healthy way to eat...and don't forget your leafy greens!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2005, 07:26:14 AM »

Second question, to the DRs in general:

Have any of you actually been to a Hooter's restaurant?

Come on, fess up!  Tell the truth!

So, what was it like?

;)

I've been to a number of different Hooters many times.  First off, there really is nothing overtly immodest about the place.  True, the waitresses are bodilicious and wear tight fitting t-shirts and shorts or pants.  They are probably trained to be friendly-flirty to guys, but that's as far as it goes.  It's not a strip club with food.  I see families with kids of all ages when I'm there.

And as far as the food goes, well, it's basically wings, burgers and cheesestakes though it's all very well prepared.  I thought I read a while back that they were going to expand their munu to be compatable to a TGIF level, but the only additions I've seen lately have been different types of salads.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2005, 07:33:55 AM »

DR Tom, you SHOULD buy DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE. Despite a full frame transfer (at least in Region 1), the picture looks breathtaking, and my TV reframed the movie perfectly with one of my widescreen options. I just love this film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2005, 07:39:30 AM »

Im especially looking forward to RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE. Mary Astor is just marvelous in it.

LADY IN A CAGE will be a hoot, but it has always left me feeling kind of sick at heart (and for the early 60s, it was very violent.)

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2005, 07:40:36 AM »

The Hooters in Charlotte was once a Denny's, and I had been there, but since the switch (many years ago), I've never been.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2005, 08:05:03 AM »

Im especially looking forward to RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE. Mary Astor is just marvelous in it.

LADY IN A CAGE will be a hoot, but it has always left me feeling kind of sick at heart (and for the early 60s, it was very violent.)

I agree with you MattH...LADY IN A CAGE is wonderful film...but rather gruesome. It has been about 20 years since the last time I watched it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2005, 08:07:51 AM »

Max Preeo is reporting that the upcoming DVD release of Hawaii (for which I've been waiting a long, long time) is, inexplicably, going to be the edited version.  All the more strange, since the laserdisc was the unedited version.  MGM/UA has shown itself receptive to changing things when they receive protest letters, so please, everyone, fire off a letter to:

Mr. David Bishop
President of MGM Home Entertainment
2500 Broadway St.
Santa Monica, CA 90404

So my ASK BK question is:  do you know anyone at MGM/UA Home Entertainment (maybe Mr. Bishop himself) that you could tell personally what a STUPID FRIGGING IDEA this is (but only in the nicest possible way)?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2005, 08:08:46 AM »

I agree with you MattH...LADY IN A CAGE is wonderful film...but rather gruesome. It has been about 20 years since the last time I watched it.

I thought I clarified the other day that the film is actually about BK's former girlfriend and is entitled Lada in a Cage.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2005, 08:14:18 AM »

MGM might be receptive to ideas in some areas of their DVD production, but they are stubbornly stupid in others including their tendency to do non-anamorphic letterbox releases on 1.66:1 widescreen films like WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION and JUDGMENT AT NUREMBURG, two absolute classics which cry out for new, anamorphic transfers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2005, 08:40:19 AM »

Never been to Hooters.....I don't know what else to say about it.

DRMATTH - did you know that a subplot filmed and edited out of RTPP included Mary Astor's house burning down - her daughter-in-law, the luscious Luciana Palucci is tagged as a careless smoker early on.  And wouldn't it have been great if Robert Sterling had played Mike Rossi opposite Lana Turner in PEYTON PLACE?

And of course in the book - we learn that Mary's character, Roberta Carter, killed her husband to get his money!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2005, 08:42:34 AM »

BK:

One would think, wouldn't one, that the little people would have the decency to lay down some carpeting before dancing their merry way. (there's usually enough fluff in my head that I could have the little Savion Glover bouncing around, and I probably wouldn't notice!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up