Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I, POD  (Read 82000 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I, POD
« on: January 13, 2005, 12:03:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've digested the notes, you've contemplated the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home with their iPods.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 12:00:05 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I, POD
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 12:25:12 AM »

Well, no one is here to play.  How tiresome.  I'm going to bed.  But first, I shall Limbo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 12:29:20 AM »

Has Ann caught up?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 12:53:50 AM »

What?  Am I the first Kimlet to post in the new day?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 12:59:31 AM »

Sigh!

The trouble with being sick is that I get my sleep patterns all confused with long naps.

I'm wide awake, yet I must contemplate the reality of going to work several hours hence should I feel increasingly better than I've felt the last few hours.

I've eaten well, I've pampered, I've snoozed, and I'm doing a vapor shot as I post this.  (Breathe Right's "Vapor Shot!" is a w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l thing to have...a styrofoam cup that you fill with hot water, drop a a wonderfully potent tablet into, cap with the specially designed lid, and then breathe, breathe, breathe incredible vapors that open you up and tingle).

I taped, while watching, "Candide"....and I loved it!  Kristen Chenoweth is a rare jewel in the theatrical firm-uh-mint!  Her voice stuns and astounds me almost all the time!  And she is graced with impeccable comic timing.

I think she and Reese Witherspoon are fraternal twin sisters separated at both, and wonder if Reese has any singing talent.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 01:02:29 AM »

ABC's "Lost" was fascinating, I thought.  I sometimes think I'm dreaming it.

Because of something Shannon said to her brother, Boone, in last week's episode, I was stunned to learn that he is, in fact, straight...and that he has been in love with her (not a blood relative, but a half-sister by marriage).  Last week she made a pissy comment to him about whether someone was his "new boyfriend."  I'm guessing that was a red herring, of sorts.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 01:05:17 AM »

Well, I've watched two episodes of Bravo's "Queer Eye for the Straight Girl". and I have to say I think it sucks.

The three flaming queens and one lipstick lesbian call themselves the "Gal Pals."  It's a not-so-hot imitation of the male counterpart....and it doesn't seem as intimate in the dealings between the "client" and the so-called experts.  I like "Honey," the lesbian, but the three guys seem way too "West Hollywood" shallow/phony to be credible.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 01:06:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 01:07:20 AM »

How on earth did I become my own frenzy?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 01:08:28 AM »

There's not even anyone else online right now...not even a "guest."

I'll just sing a little, dance a little, and do a little commercial for myself...just in case God is watching!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 01:16:08 AM »

I'm on, Ron.  I'm glad you're feeling better...I hope you keep feeling better as time goes on.  

I'm sitting here watching random late night TV and watching my gliders play.  They've discovered a towel hung over the back of a chair...they're playing hide and seek.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 01:41:13 AM »

I've found a children's show, fake-claymation, called Jo Jo's Circus...they're doing the limbo, singing a cute little song.  I'm glad that decent kids shows these days still include music...sometimes it's actually really good music too.

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 01:53:25 AM »

Favourite funny people:
Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan
Lili Tomlin: This is a Recording still gets me laughing
Bill Irwin
Burns and Allen
Barry Humphries
Billy Connolly
Rowan Atkinson
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 01:57:01 AM »

Hi, Ann.
Good health vibes to you.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 02:07:04 AM »

HARPO is my favorite funny people.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 04:55:01 AM »

Madeline Kahn's at the top of my list of funny people.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 05:10:27 AM »

As for Candide: Way too much shtick - but Kristen Chenoweth was sensational.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 05:27:34 AM »

Good morning, all!

It's to be a very warm day in Manhattan and, supposedly, the temperature will drop the next couple of days after all colds, flus, and other malaises have run rampant for the next couple of days.  I have to run to the post office, mail two packages, and pick up a money order.  I'd like to get a haircut this afternoon to lok spiffy for my evening with Miss PennyO.  Perhaps we can settle on an HHW date for her show.

TOD:  Jack Benny
         Lily Tomlin

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 05:27:45 AM »

I think I, Pod, the book, should be the autobiography of one of the stars of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

The Village is only 108 minutes long?  I thought it was longer than that when I saw it last summer.  I liked it very much though I was able to guess what the "surprise twist" was even before the movie started.  Bryce Dallas Howard was wonderful and I'm looking forward to her doing Mary Queen of Scots (maybe reteamed with Sigourney as Elizabeth.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 06:15:36 AM »

I think I, Pod, the book, should be the autobiography of one of the stars of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

The Village is only 108 minutes long?  I thought it was longer than that when I saw it last summer.  I liked it very much though I was able to guess what the "surprise twist" was even before the movie started.  Bryce Dallas Howard was wonderful and I'm looking forward to her doing Mary Queen of Scots (maybe reteamed with Sigourney as Elizabeth.)

We went to see the Village with another couple.  After the movie (which DH claimed to be  contemplating chewing off his leg to escape from)  the other wife asked . "But where was the twist?" We explained and she said,  "Oh! I assumed that from the beginning!"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 06:23:38 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 06:19:13 AM »

I think the problem with M. Night is that  "The Sixth Sense" was so good and had such a  great twist in it that he thinks ALL his movies have to be that way

And I do wish he would stop SHOWING us the monster

IMHO both The Village and the "alien" one with Mel Gibson (the name escapes me now, senior moment attack)  would have been better if the monsters were only hinted at  - never actually seen

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 06:20:29 AM »

Jose, that fog spreads all the way to Long Island.  Yesterday I couldn't see the building half a block away, today I cannot see the one next door.

vixmom

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 06:23:06 AM »

Re: DR Penny's show, WFO & I are planning on going to the matinee on the 26th as we have other obligations keeping us from the weeknight performances.  Maybe we could arrange a HHW dinner afterwards?

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 06:23:10 AM »

For the Kristen Chenoweth fans, here's an article from this morning's Cincinnati Enquirer:

news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050113/LIFE/501130342/1086

Please keep your fingers crossed that she doesn't cancel with the Pops again this weekend, because my DH and I have wonderful seats for Sunday evening to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary (actually on Monday).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 06:25:40 AM »

For the Kristen Chenoweth fans, here's an article from this morning's Cincinnati Enquirer:

news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050113/LIFE/501130342/1086

Please keep your fingers crossed that she doesn't cancel with the Pops again this weekend, because my DH and I have wonderful seats for Sunday evening to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary (actually on Monday).

Happy Anniversary Ginny!! (and to your DH as well!)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 06:25:54 AM »

Other than the previously mentioned Bill Irwin, I really can't think of any funny person today who is funny in the way of the classic funny guys.  Ellen DeGeneres did some funny physical schtick on her sitcom.  And going a ways back there were John Belushi, Gilda Radner and most of the SCTV gang.  But there seems to be a drought of clowns, these days.  

But there are people I think that are funny, though in a modern sense:
Lily Tomlin
David Letterman
My Ex-Pretend Girlfriend, Amy Sedaris
Jerry Seinfeld
Billy Crystal
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 06:28:17 AM »

I forgot about Candide.  I was reading Writer's Block, which I finished at 12:49AM EST

bk, I am bleary eyed and unmotiovated at work this morning and it's all your fault!!

Ben

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 06:31:16 AM »

TOD, there isn't much that appeals to me for current funny people. I don't "get" Jim Carrey (he was actually much funnier when he was a nobody on In Living Color), Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller and I REALLY DON'T GET David Spade. He brings out the worst in me. I want to reach into the television and slap his smug, snotty little face (rant over).

Funny people, Jack Benny, Lily Tomlin, Bill Irwin, all mentioned previously.

I'm seeing Little Women next week and Lone Star Love the week after that. LSL is a musical version of Merry Wives of Windsor set in Civil War Texas. We are still trying to arrange a viewing of After the Ball. It's difficult with Anthony's schedule. It's closing soon so we MUST see it. I would go on my own but Anthony wants to see the show (he knows and has worked with the choreographer, Lisa Schriver, also a friend of DR Larry) so we needs must work his schedule into the process. And then in March we East Coast HKs will see the wonderful Penny O. My calendar is filling up!

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2005, 06:33:05 AM »

TOD  In no particular order

Flanders & Swann
Billy Crystal
Jon Stewart
Bill Cosby
Gilda Radner
Gracie Allen

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2005, 06:34:10 AM »

I think the problem with M. Night is that  "The Sixth Sense" was so good and had such a  great twist in it that he thinks ALL his movies have to be that way

And I do wish he would stop SHOWING us the monster

IMHO both The Village and the "alien" one with Mel Gibson (the name escapes me now, senior moment attack)  would have been better if the monsters were only hinted at  - never actually seen

True.  The alien movie, Signs, had me on the edge of my seat throughout most of the film (it fed into my actual life long fear of alien invasion--good thing I wasn't living in 1938!)  But that last ten minutes was something from another movie and a bad one at that.  If the only glimpse we ever had of the alien was from the news video clip, the sense of dread that the movie built up would have played much better.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2005, 06:34:15 AM »

I forgot Billy Crystal. I do like him.

Dan-the-Man, sorry to hear about your breakup with your Ex-Pretend Girlfriend, Amy Sedaris  ;) When did it happen? Was it difficult? Was she devasted? You're not referring to her with nasty names so I guess the breakup was pleasant. Since she's in New York and you're outside of Philly, I guess it was the distance that broke you up, huh?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up