Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BUNNY HOP  (Read 75777 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE BUNNY HOP
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2005, 07:30:26 PM »

Hi Cillaliz, join in when you feel comfortable.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2005, 07:34:58 PM »

And one for Mahler. (Who's up for a Golden Globe.)

Jane

« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2005, 07:35:33 PM »

We spoke to Bryan in Portland today.  Yesterday the only person who could get to work was Bryan so he was elected.  It only took him an hour and a half to take the normally 30 minute drive, and that was after putting chains on his tires.  The software store he works at is inside a mall where only a few of the store were able to open, and there were even fewer shoppers.  He was at work a couple of hours when the mall decided to close for the day.  He said the roads are better today.

Jane

« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2005, 07:37:47 PM »

I'm leaving for the night-guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to hear about MBarnum's adventures on the roads and in the city.  Bryan said the downtown stores were open since most of the employees are walking distance from work.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2005, 07:43:34 PM »

It was scary driving at 7:00 a.m. this morning to work.  Even with 4-wheel drive.  Everything's pretty much melted now.  There were several pretty bad accidents they showed on the news, including a sad (but, I'm sorry, strangely funny) story of a woman who jumped out of a taxi when it started slipping and got run over.  She would have been fine if she had stayed put.   :P
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2005, 07:57:55 PM »

Last Red Carpet Report - I switched over to NBC where Johnny Depp was being interviewed.
Interviewer - Johnny, is there a role you've always dreamed of playing?
JD - Mae West. But I'm probably too old. ...Maybe Carol Channing. I'd like to play Carol Channing.
(Absolutely no response of follow-up from the interviewer.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 07:58:48 PM by Panni »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2005, 08:02:19 PM »

What a snoozer of an awards show.  If any of you west coasters are torn between the Golden Globes and anything else, I would go with anything else.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2005, 08:07:28 PM »

What I find funny about King of Queens is that it's been on for seven years and I've never heard of it before last night.  

BK, I mean no offense, but you are really not a TV person. You are much more "up" on films both classic and contemporary.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2005, 08:07:43 PM »

Dangers of gossip ...

A neighbor of mine, an older woman named Joy, was having fainting spells and decided to buy a house with her daughter and son-in-law - they'd all move in together.

Since she moved, I've visited the neighbor a couple of times.

Recently, a friend in the building asked me how Joy is doing. I remarked that she seemed quite happy with her new arrangement.

"Oh," said the friend. " I know someone who knows Joy, and she's been extremely worried about her - given her daughter's alcoholism."

I repeated that everyone appeared quite happy, and added that the daughter - whom I've met several times - always seemed loving.

A little while ago my friend called me back to say that she had mixed up Joy with someone else.

Panni

« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2005, 08:08:45 PM »

If the first two awards are an indication, DTM, I agree with you. Not so much because it's a snoozer (it just started, so it hasn't had a chance to be boring yet) -- but because they were such strange choices.

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2005, 08:12:52 PM »

The only spoilers I'll offer about the Golden Globes is that they are full of surprises, and the awards are pretty spread out - nothing really dominates in the TV side or the movie side. So, that made it very fun to watch.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2005, 08:15:49 PM »

Yes, Dolores Grey still holds the record for the shortest run for a Tony Award winner - 5 performances.

Panni

« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2005, 08:33:52 PM »

The only spoilers I'll offer about the Golden Globes is that they are full of surprises,

That's true! There was one moving moment so far - when a certain winning TV actress with a dead movie star mother said her father had been with her mom 49 years ago when she accepted an award and he was with her tonight -- and they cut to him weeping in the audience. Perfect awards TV.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2005, 08:43:25 PM »

Good evening all
This afternoon I was lucky enough to see National Pastime, starring our very own TCB.  I was, for the most part, very impressed by the production.  As always, TCB gave an outstanding performance.  Some of the scenes were pretty intense, but he handled them beautifully.  The rest of the cast was basically very strong.  In my mind, the weakest scenes were between Jackie and his wife Rachel.  The chemistry was just non-existent, and the romance was forced.  I think the actress playing Rachel was talented, but she had trouble with that particular character.  Jackie was good overall, but had trouble with some of the more personal scenes.  In general I enjoyed it very much...I wish all DR's could have seen it.
I didn't have time to stay around and see TCB afterwards, sadly, I had to get home to see my mother and aunt, who were stopping by breifly on their way down to Eugene.  They're driving down as we speak...good vibes for their driving.  

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2005, 08:44:56 PM »

That's true! There was one moving moment so far - when a certain winning TV actress with a dead movie star mother said her father had been with her mom 49 years ago when she accepted an award and he was with her tonight -- and they cut to him weeping in the audience. Perfect awards TV.

Yes, and it was a BIG surprise that she won that award against actresses who have so much more to do on their shows than she does (being part of a procedural drama). I was thrilled for her. Wish her co-star could get some recognition on award shows with a nomination as he really deserves it, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2005, 08:47:59 PM »

I used to be quite the TV person but I gave it up about ten years ago.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2005, 08:48:40 PM »

I have to get up VERY early tomorrow, so I must wussburger.

Early to wussburger, early to rise
Makes a man...disappear!

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2005, 09:13:21 PM »

Good Evening!

-I have to say, it's amazing how a few boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts can make a two-show day worthhile and worth doing!  ;)

-Oh, and the very kind young lady gave me a dozen donuts for free too!  She kept telling me that she would be giving me a dozen free, but it didn't really hit until she handed my charge slip to me for signing.  -I walked out with three dozen for the price of two!  It was meant to be.

So, just one more tomorrow night, and then a day off.  I'm just trying to figure out if I need to come back from Richmond late Tuesday night, or early Wednesday.  -We have a noon show on Wednesday, but some of the major street closings start 6:00AM Wednesday morning, so... And since traffic in the DC is always unpredictable when there are no street closings...  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2005, 09:15:13 PM »

OH, and I also made a stop at Macy's between shows too.  I needed to pick up some new cake pans.  Well, my favorite cake pans were on sale!  And they were offering an additional discount if you used your Macy's card.  So, I did, and I got a nice double discount!

It was meant to be.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2005, 09:18:28 PM »

RE: Shoney's - In the DC area, I grew up with Big Boy Restaurants.  When I started school in Richmond, I discovered Shoney's.  Then right after graduating college, the Big Boy's in the DC area became Shoney's Big Boy.  I think they were even absorbed by the Marriott corporation for a while.

Alas, Shoney's Big Boy no longer exists in the DC area.  And someone stole the last real, official Big Boy figure from one of the restaurants years ago.

But Richmond still has Shoney's.

I just wish Jeff Foxworthy wasn't there spokesperson. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2005, 09:19:33 PM »

WUSSBURGERING at 9:30???  I say, bad show.  And speaking of bad show, I just finished Ice Station Zebra, about which more when the new notes go up at the night of mid.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2005, 09:20:12 PM »

I've turned on the Golden Globes.  It's been on for seven minutes, all of which have been devoted to commercials.  Is there an actual show at some point?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2005, 09:20:37 PM »

Oh... And I just remembered Hot Shoppes.  Alas, they are no longer too.  -Which is sort of strange, since Mr. Marriott was on record saying that they were his favorite restaurant franchise the company owned and ran.  Plus, they had his favorite chicken soup - very creamy, with big O-noodles.  I liked it too.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2005, 09:21:27 PM »

So, let me get this straight - the reason people aren't around is because they are watching this awful commercial-laden show?  I say, bad show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2005, 09:22:05 PM »

Glenn Close just thanked someone (David) even though she's a presenter.  I say, bad show.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2005, 09:24:49 PM »

I caught the last half hour of the Golden Globes once I got home...  No spoilers, but I will say that one of the acceptance speeches was very nice.  Very moving, and not in a sappy way.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2005, 09:27:39 PM »

But does anyone take these seriously???  I mean, they're voted on by a bunch of journalists who have day jobs.  I've never gotten the Golden Globes, but I guess it's a nice publicity tool for both filmmakers and studio.  But the awful music and sound effects - we need sound effects on an award show?  A big "whoosh" every time they do a graphic.  I say, bad show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2005, 09:28:08 PM »

I've eaten a couple of tortillas with butter - which I enjoy doing from time to time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2005, 09:29:12 PM »

We have GUESTS here, people.  We are not providing enough Golden Globe coverage here at haineshisway.com.  Skammen.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »

DR Jay - I am jealous!!!!  Glad to know her Handel came off well.  I like Ms. Fleming's voice a lot.  I just don't love it.  It has a "manufactured" sense more often than not to my ears.  And after thumbing through her new book, it does seems like she works awfully hard to get her voice to do what it does.  Which is very admirable.  However, I don't like sensing the "effort" it takes when I'm listening to a performer.  I want it to be natural.  I want it to come from the heart and soul.  I don't want to sit there listening to how their intercostal muscles are aiding in the projection of the voice up through the back of the throat and into the resonating cavities of the skull.  And, unfortunately, there are a lot of "technique-y" singers out there.

-Sorry, that was more or less of a rant...

I haven't heard Ms. Fleming live in a year or two, so...  In any case...

Sounds like a great program!  As for the two arias from Susannah, I'm assuming the other one was "The Trees On the Mountain" - my favorite!  And, actually, I would have actually preferred Ms. Fleming over Cheryl Studer on that studio cast recording that was released a couple of years ago.  -What is Ms. Studer up to nowadays anyway?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up