Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CHIFFON GOWN WITH THE PLUNGING NECKLINE  (Read 42845 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE CHIFFON GOWN WITH THE PLUNGING NECKLINE
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2005, 10:23:24 AM »

Can someone (BK, didn't you mention this a while back?) tell me if the first season Night Gallery DVDs include the original two hour movie with Joan Crawford and Fritz Weaver?  It says "original pilot" but I'm not sure that's what it means.  TIA.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2005, 10:24:42 AM »

Ron FEEL BETTER VIBES!

When I get a cold it tends to linger.  If you can find watermellon at this time of year try some.  Also sleep elevated.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2005, 10:25:27 AM »

That would be VICTORY, with Michael Caine, directed by John Huston, I think.

Thank you Panni!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2005, 10:27:50 AM »

Has anyone else been afflicted with a cold that just won't go away?

I've been dealing with this for more than a week, and it seems to manifest itself differently day by day.

Today, I am feeling tired and a tad bit dizzy.  Disoriented a little.

<Raising my hand>

I guess I had one lingering for about three weeks.  First it was my throat.  Then some nasal stuff.  Then my throat again.  Then that pesky left tonsil thingy.

Thankfully, I do feel pretty much back to normal now.  I just need to make sure to keep hydrated so my throat doesn't get all scratchy.  I guess whatever I had just had to run it's course.  -Although, I think the extra doses of Vitamin C that I would take throughout the day also helped.

Feel Better Soon, Ron.

-Would some cookies help?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2005, 10:29:38 AM »

Has anyone else been afflicted with a cold that just won't go away?

I've been dealing with this for more than a week, and it seems to manifest itself differently day by day.

Today, I am feeling tired and a tad bit dizzy.  Disoriented a little.

DR Ron, I suggest you try AlkaSeltzer cold medicine,  I also suggest you try the orange flavored one as the original will make you gag

sincerly Vixmom (I'm not  a Dr,  I just play one on HHW)

and Good Health Vibes to you!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2005, 10:29:39 AM »

Almost forgot - A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN.

vixmom

« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2005, 10:30:26 AM »

Speakingof Good Health Vibes how are DR Ann and DR Elmore faring?

Good Health vibes to you two too!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 10:30:46 AM by vixmom »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2005, 10:41:32 AM »

Thanks all for your birthday felicitations.  It will alas, be a whirlwind of insurance people, doctors, and car salesmen this week.  Ginny, your Skyline chili wish made my mouth water (though I'm actually a Dixie chili guy...though Skyline, Gold Star, any will do).

Most of my favourite sports movies have been named:  BULL DURHAM, EIGHT MEN OUT, 61.

A few others high on my list:  REQUIEM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHT...Anthony Quinn, Jackie Gleason, and Mickey Rooney all at the top of their game.  GENTLEMAN JIM...one of Errol Flynn's best movies and one of his best performances.  Does THE SWIMMER with Burt Lancaster count?  I'm fascinated by this movie.  It doesn't wholly work, but I love it.

A recent sports movie I quite enjoyed was FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS about high school football and football mania in Odessa, Texas.  I worked in Odessa a couple of years (at the Globe of the Great Southwest...a Shakespeare Theatre, believe it or not) and can attest to the mania of football there.  I also went to a high school in Northern Kentucky, Highlands, where there was a milder form of the same mania and pressure on the players to perform...we were division champs year after year and went to state many times.  Losing was not considered.

One sport movie I've never seen but I hear is great is THIS SPORTING LIFE with Richard Harris.

One sport movie that's rep has always mystified me...RAGING BULL.  People consider it Sorcese's best, but it just sort of leaves me cold.  There are a lot of Scorcese film I like better.

I also thought the whole DeNiro gaining weight thing was the height of pretentious performing.  I prefer Olivier's admonishment to Dustin Hoffman when he had stayed up all night, because his character was supposed to be sleep-deprived in the scene the were shooting for Marathon Man:  "Try acting, dear boy."  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2005, 10:48:05 AM »

I first ran across THE SWIMMER on TV late one night in Canada as I was channel surfing. I was totally mesmerized. I've seen it a number of times since then (not recently, alas) and like it more each time. Great score by the very young Marvin Hamlisch.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 10:49:02 AM by Panni »

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2005, 10:55:49 AM »

Thanks for mentioning FIELD OF DREAMS, DR TCB. I love that movie, too.

I love it too, of course I do live in Iowa.  Last I knew they still have the baseball field set up near Dyersville and people still stop to hit a ball, have a catch and run  the bases.  Ok, I admit it, I've been there.....

Panni

« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2005, 10:55:52 AM »

***FEEL BETTER VIBES TO ALL YOU LOVELY PEOPLE OUT THERE IN THE DARK WHO NEED THEM!***

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2005, 10:56:07 AM »

Oh and Happy Birthday DR Charles Pogue

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2005, 10:59:19 AM »

As long-time readers of these here notes know, I am obsessed with The Swimmer, which I've been touting for over twenty years.  It's one of the strangest movies ever made, but one that, despite its problems, is what movie-making is all about.  It had a lot of studio problems, and Janice Rule was a replacement for the original actress in that scene (Barbara Loden, I think) - in fact, the Rule version of the scene wasn't shot by director Frank Perry, it was shot by, if I recall correctly, Sidney Pollack.  It's directorially different than anything else in the film, but that only adds to the film's overall strange quality, which is what I love about it.  One of Burt Lancaster's greatest performance.  And, oh, that girl - Janet Landgaard.  Whatever happened to HER?

I, too, love Requiem for a Heavyweight (the film), and love its brilliant score by Laurence Rosenthal.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2005, 11:06:08 AM »

Yes, THE SWIMMER is strange, mesmerizing, and wholly watchable.  I remember being intrigued with it when I first saw a preview of it in a theatre when it was initially released.  It wasn't until years later that I caught it channel-flicking and was hooked in about ten seconds.  I've seen it several times since, though I'm still not sure whether I ever caught the first five minutes of the thing.  It is indeed what movie-making is all about.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2005, 11:08:21 AM »

Do chariot races count?  If so, add Ben-Hur to the list.  (Either version.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2005, 11:12:18 AM »

Just got an hysterical birthday greeting from Miss Tammy Minoff, which alas, I can't share with you.  Ain't I a tease?  But, my, it was FUNNY!  I laughed and laughed...and then laughed some more.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2005, 11:20:59 AM »

Of course there is the great Australian Dance Sport movie "Strictly Ballroom".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2005, 11:29:25 AM »

Thanks all for your birthday felicitations.  It will alas, be a whirlwind of insurance people, doctors, and car salesmen this week.  .

Here you are Charles, perhaps this will solve one of your dliemmas! (I understand they're built like a tank!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4520848120&category=6304

I hope you're all feeling unbruised and un-achey by your birthday dinner tonight

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2005, 11:54:30 AM »

I'm having a deelightful day so far.  Just sitting here doing interesting things, hopefully interestingly.  In a little while I shall venture out into the world to do a few errands that need doing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2005, 11:58:01 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6822858/?GT1=6065

Hey DR Elmore, doesn't this make you feel all warm and fuzzy?  

So warm and fuzzy I could plotz!

Movies I forgot earlier:
DAMN YANKEES (How could I?)
MASH (the only football game I ever enjoyed)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2005, 12:06:03 PM »

MASH (the only football game I ever enjoyed)

I was about to say that!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2005, 12:07:06 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLES POGUE!!

Jose I don’t care for Einstein’s bagels-too chewy for my taste..  We had them in Michigan.  I think Bryan referred to them as Goya bagels (maybe that was a different store in Ann Arbor).

Panni-cute group pic.  You look like you had a fun time.  As always DD looks beautiful.

....... As always, DD AND Panni look beautiful.  And boyfriend is kind of cute, as well.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2005, 12:10:50 PM »

Happy birthday, Pogue!

Well, the first day of school is going swimmingly (to keep with the sports theme), although so far I've only had two classes. When my Rhetoric class starts up, things probably won't be especially pleasant.

My favorite sport is fencing (there's a surprise) and so my favorite sports movie is The Princess Bride (that counts!). I don't really know from any other sport, although I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Olympic trampoline event, which, I noticed, got more air time than fencing for some reason.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2005, 12:16:28 PM »

"The Best of Times" is the name of that movie I was trying to remember with Robin Williams and Kurt Russell and the high school football game.

DR Jane:  By "sleep elevated", I'm not quite sure what you mean....I live on the top floor of a 4-story condo...is that high enough?  : )

DR Vixmom:  Thanks for the Alka Seltzer recommendation.

Dr. JoseSPiano:  Cookies would be wonderful, but I don't need them at all!!!!  If you get my drift.....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2005, 12:19:09 PM »

"The Swimmer" is absolutely the finest work Burt Lancaster ever did, and it's one of the best performances any actor ever gave.

I had this on videotape at one time....but can't for the life of me remember whether I placed it in storage or, gasp!, taped over it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2005, 12:20:51 PM »

DR Sandra:  Is there such a thing as "cherry Coke underpants"???????
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 12:21:12 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2005, 12:22:06 PM »

And since we're talking about sports and this story probably wouldn't be appropriate for any other topic, I will now tell you the story of my favorite fencing move, the Hungarian Ommedes Thrust.

My first fencing instructor, Skip, was in the Olympics. He came in fourth place, which has to be the biggest disappointment ever. The day before he was scheduled to fence the bout that was for all the proverbial marbles, he went into the sauna and just so happened to walk in on the Hungarian fencer and some lady doing something I would rather not say. Said Hungarian fencer was not very happy with Skip.

The next day, it turned out that the fencer Skip was up against was his old Hungarian friend from the sauna. The Hungarian fellow had the grand-daddy of all grudges against poor Skip and got him in the eight line (you-know-where) using what I now call the Hungarian Ommedes Thrust, in honor of that crazy Hungarian. (No offense to our own crazy Hungarian.) It cost poor Skip the bronze medal.

Wasn't that a great story?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2005, 12:23:02 PM »

DR Sandra:  Is there such a thing as "cherry Coke underpants"???????

Not that I know of. And I would be the one to know.

MBarnum

« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2005, 12:28:02 PM »

DRMBARNUM that photo was from the 1955 Hollywood Stars magazine article about Allison titled you ought to be in pictures.  I think I sent you copies of it.....she is also pictured with her poodle and running up and down the stairs carrying several pairs of shoes.

If you don't have it, let me know.

I don't believe I have those JRand54! I do, however, have a magazine on it's way via Ebay that is supposed to have an Allison article or photos in it.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2005, 12:37:48 PM »

Great story, DR Sandra! If you like Hungarian fencing (what's not to like? ... And the lady in the sauna would, I'm certain, agree) you should watch SUNSHINE. A long and tragic tale, but lots of neat fencing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up