Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE CRICKETS IN THE FOUNTAIN  (Read 53894 times)

Michael

Re:THREE CRICKETS IN THE FOUNTAIN
« Reply #330 on: January 21, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »

Actually isn't The Matchmaker based on another play called "The Merchant of Yonkers"?
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #331 on: January 21, 2005, 09:39:17 PM »

Did someone say earlier that they were not a cat person???

This is my Baby:
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #332 on: January 21, 2005, 09:41:23 PM »

Angelbaby is beautiful.

François de Paris

« Reply #333 on: January 21, 2005, 09:42:56 PM »

Isn't Hello Dolly based on Thortnon Wilder's The Matchmaker?

Well, Dear Reader Cillaliz, I did think you were being tongue-in-cheek too, cheeky you! ;)

-- You have to be "careful" with BK!
He has a wry sense of humour and his knowledge of all things "musical" and movies and THE theater and illustration art and.... is out of this world! (Oh, a Cole Porter reference!)...

Stick around and you'll see what we mean! :D

François de Paris

« Reply #334 on: January 21, 2005, 09:44:10 PM »

Did someone say earlier that they were not a cat person???

This is my Baby:

What a pretty cat, TCB!

Where's the other one?

François de Paris

« Reply #335 on: January 21, 2005, 09:45:04 PM »

People who don't like cats have been mice in a previous life!

François de Paris

« Reply #336 on: January 21, 2005, 09:49:23 PM »

Actually isn't The Matchmaker based on another play called "The Merchant of Yonkers"?

No! The Merchant of Venice by some longtime forgotten author! :D

I think you're right, Michael!

Cillaliz

« Reply #337 on: January 21, 2005, 09:49:32 PM »

Well, Dear Reader Cillaliz, I did think you were being tongue-in-cheek too, cheeky you! ;)

-- You have to be "careful" with BK!
He has a wry sense of humour and his knowledge of all things "musical" and movies and THE theater and illustration art and.... is out of this world! (Oh, a Cole Porter reference!)...

Stick around and you'll see what we mean! :D

Yes, I was being tongue in cheek, especially with the one never knows comment.... I assume if anyone knows, it would be BK.

François de Paris

« Reply #338 on: January 21, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

People who don't like cats have been mice in a previous life!

- Does that mean that people who like mice were cats in a previous life?

- I don't know! Why do you ask me??

:)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #339 on: January 21, 2005, 10:04:54 PM »

On behalf of Angel, thank you François and Cillaliz.

I will save Nicky's picture for a different day.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

François de Paris

« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2005, 10:13:28 PM »

On behalf of Angel, thank you François and Cillaliz.

I will save Nicky's picture for a different day.

Something to look forward to!

And Angel is so well eduCATed to thank us like that!
I'm sure he thinks this site is the cat's meow! ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:40:22 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #341 on: January 21, 2005, 10:25:24 PM »

Hmmm.... a lull!

Lulls are dull!

-- I'm starting to sound just like BK!
Just starting though!
Rest assured!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:26:10 PM by François de Paris »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #342 on: January 21, 2005, 10:27:34 PM »

Just back from my lovely Jacuzzi - the first in five weeks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #343 on: January 21, 2005, 10:28:36 PM »

Adelphia cable has been behaving weirdly all day - hopefully I'll be able to post the notes at midnight, but I was just not able to get on for ten minutes prior to the Jacuzzi.

François de Paris

« Reply #344 on: January 21, 2005, 10:36:08 PM »

LONDON (AP) - Mary Poppins and The Producers led the nominations Thursday for this year's Laurence Olivier Awards, honouring achievement in London theatre, opera, and dance during 2004.

Mary Poppins had nine nominations including best new musical, best actress in a musical for the show's star Laura Michelle Kelly and best actor in a musical for Gavin Lee, who plays Bert the chimneysweep in Sir Cameron Mackintosh's big-budget production.

The Mel Brooks comedy musical The Producers, which was a smash-hit on Broadway and won 12 Tony Awards, received eight nominations. Co-stars Lee Evans and Nathan Lane - who is no longer in the show - are up for best actor in a musical prize. Leigh Zimmerman, who plays Swedish secretary Ulla, is a nominee in the best actress category.

Mary Poppins and The Producers opened late last year in London and have proved huge hits with critics and audiences.

Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest West End production The Woman In White, which has been less well received, had five Olivier nominations. They include best new musical and best supporting performance in a musical for Michael Crawford, who also starred in the original production of Webber's Phantom of the Opera.

The nominees for best new play were The History Boys, which has been a hit for Britain's National Theatre; The Goat, Or Who Is Sylvia?; Festen; and By The Bog Of Cats, starring Holly Hunter.

The best actor category includes a nomination for newcomer Ben Whishaw, who won rave reviews for his lead role performance in Hamlet at the Old Vic. He is up against veterans Michael Gambon for Endgame; Richard Griffiths for The History Boys; and Jonathan Pryce for The Goat, Or Who Is Sylvia?

Best actress nominees include Victoria Hamilton for Suddenly Last Summer; Clare Higgins for Hecuba; Anna Maxwell Martin for His Dark Materials; and Caroline O'Connor for Bombshells.

Canadian Ben Heppner received a nod for the oustanding achievement in opera award for his performance in Peter Grimes. Others nominated in the category include John McFarlane for Peter Grimes and Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk; The Orchestra of the Royal Opera House under the musical direction of Antonio Pappano for their season's work; Thomas Ades and the Royal Opera House for the world premiere of The Tempest.

Dame Judi Dench received her 13th Olivier nomination for best performance in a supporting role for her performance as the Countess of Rossillion in All's Well That Ends Well.

The 29th Olivier Awards ceremony will be held Feb. 20.

-

François de Paris

« Reply #345 on: January 21, 2005, 10:36:53 PM »

List of nominations for 2005 Laurence Olivier Awards

LONDON (AP) - Nominations for the 2005 Laurence Olivier Awards:

Best actress: Victoria Hamilton, Suddenly Last Summer; Clare Higgins, Hecuba; Anna Maxwell Martin, His Dark Materials; Caroline O'Connor, Bombshells.

Best actor: Michael Gambon, Endgame; Richard Griffiths, The History Boys; Jonathan Pryce, The Goat, Or Who Is Sylvia?; Ben Whishaw, Hamlet.

Best performance in a supporting role: Samuel Barnett, The History Boys; Dame Judi Dench, All's Well That Ends Well; Amanda Harris, Othello; Eddie Redmayne, The Goat, Or Who Is Sylvia?

Best new play: Marina Carr, By The Bog Of Cats; David Eldridge, Festen; Edward Albee, The Goat, Or Who Is Sylvia?; Alan Bennett, The History Boys.

Best revival: Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well; Samuel Beckett, Endgame; Shakespeare, Hamlet; R.C. Sherriff, Journey's End.

Best new musical: Mary Poppins; The Producers; The Woman In White.

Outstanding musical production: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum; Grand Hotel; Simply Heavenly; Sweeney Todd.

Best actress in a musica: Maria Friedman, The Woman In White; Leigh Zimmerman, The Producers; Laura Michelle Kelly, Mary Poppins.

Best actor in a musical: Lee Evans, The Producers; Paul Hegarty, Sweeney Todd; Nathan Lane, The Producers; Gavin Lee, Mary Poppins.

Best performance in a supporting role in a musical: Michael Crawford, The Woman In White; David Haig, Mary Poppins; Conleth Hill, The Producers.

Best director: Richard Eyre, Mary Poppins; Nicholas Hytner, The History Boys; Rufus Norris, Festen; Susan Stroman, The Producers.

Best theatre choreographer: Matthew Bourne and Stephen Mear, Mary Poppins; Adam Cooper, Grand Hotel; Susan Stroman, The Producers.

Best lighting design: All's Well That Ends Well; Festen; His Dark Materials; Mary Poppins.

Best set design: Festen; His Dark Materials; Mary Poppins; Suddenly Last Summer; The Woman In White.

Best costume design: All's Well That Ends Well; Hamlet; Mary Poppins; The Producers.

Best sound design: Festen; Suddenly Last Summer; The Woman In White.

Best new opera production: Royal Opera House, Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk; The Barbican, Les Paladins; Royal Opera House, Peter Grimes.

Outstanding achievement in opera: Ben Heppner, Peter Grimes; John McFarlane, Peter Grimes and Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk; The Orchestra of the Royal Opera House under the musical direction of Antonio Pappano for their season's work; Thomas Ades and the Royal Opera House for the world premiere of The Tempest.

Best new dance production: Northern Ballet Theatre, A Midsummer Night's Dream; Royal New Zealand Ballet, Milagros; Royal New Zealand Ballet, Romeo And Juliet; Rambert Dance Company, Swamp.

Outstanding achievement in dance: Julien Macdonald, Shimmer; San Francisco Ballet for their season at Sadler's Wells; The Royal Ballet, Sylvia; Rambert Dance Company for their November season at Sadler's Wells.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #346 on: January 21, 2005, 10:45:54 PM »

Back from seeing HOTEL RWANDA. I now think Mr. Don Cheadle can give Mr Jamie Foxx a run for his money for the Oscar. An extremely disturbing film with some wonderful performances. I found it a bit over-written -- the kind of writing that just explains TOO much. (After a scene of unspeakable horror, one character comments to another "How can people be so cruel?"... Any audience member who isn't thinking that probably used to call Hitler "mein old buddy.")
Nevertheless, an important film, really worth seeing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #347 on: January 21, 2005, 11:11:50 PM »

The problem is, anytime I hear "an important film, really worth seeing" I want to run for the hills.

THAT is the movie you took your daughter to?  O-kay.

Jed

« Reply #348 on: January 21, 2005, 11:19:36 PM »

Umbrellas of Cherbourg on TCM right this very minute!  Dang it, I missed the first 20 minutes!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #349 on: January 21, 2005, 11:26:30 PM »

Love Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

Panni

« Reply #350 on: January 21, 2005, 11:30:20 PM »

The problem is, anytime I hear "an important film, really worth seeing" I want to run for the hills.

Somehow, I knew you'd say that.  ::)
And the reason I "took" my daughter to see it is because this is the movie she wanted to see. I think you know DD well enough, dear bk, to know that if she didn't want to see the movie, we wouldn't have been seeing it.

Jed

« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2005, 11:30:38 PM »

I've only seen it once, about 10 years ago or so.  Unfortunately, eastern Washington isn't exactly the best place to try to find French musicals to rent, so I haven't found it since.  However, it is being shown at the university in just a couple weeks as part of the Classic Film Series, so I'll be able to see it in total then.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #352 on: January 21, 2005, 11:34:59 PM »

Do try and not take these things so seriously, dear reader Panni.  I would have made the same post no matter who had seen it and said what you said.  "Really important films" make me want to run for the hills.  I like a nice comedy.  

Panni

« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2005, 11:35:03 PM »

Let me rephrase "an important film really worth seeing"...
It's a movie about a huge and shameful event in recent history, made very personal by focusing on the story of one man and his family. A million deaths is a statistic; the story of one family is a personal enough to involve us at a gut level.
Is that better? (Probably not.)

Panni

« Reply #354 on: January 21, 2005, 11:38:59 PM »

Do try and not take these things so seriously, dear reader Panni.  I would have made the same post no matter who had seen it and said what you said.  "Really important films" make me want to run for the hills.  

I didn't take it "seriously," dear bk. And I know you would have said the same thing to anyone. That's why I posted "Somewhow I knew you'd say that."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #355 on: January 21, 2005, 11:39:22 PM »

Actually, I would have more chance seeing it if someone merely said, "It's a really good movie, very powerful."  I don't go for hyperbole other than "I loved it" or "See it, it's faboo".  The minute I hear I MUST see it because it's IMPORTANT I run for the hills.  But then, I like the hills.  The hills are alive with the sound of music.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #356 on: January 21, 2005, 11:41:29 PM »

My goodness, what a lovely bit of posting we've had today.

Panni

« Reply #357 on: January 21, 2005, 11:42:18 PM »

I like a nice comedy.  

...Like "Les Uns et Les Autres" ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #358 on: January 21, 2005, 11:42:31 PM »

And the best part of it is that in a mere seven posts I will achieve my new plateau of 9000 postings.  I should either be very proud or locked in an asylum.

Jed

« Reply #359 on: January 21, 2005, 11:43:17 PM »

Any hills that are alive, be it with music or whatever, would send me running away from them rather quickly, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up