Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SCARY NOTES  (Read 45246 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:SCARY NOTES
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2003, 05:11:55 PM »

DR Sandra:  You could have stepped off the screen out of "Sense and Sensibility" or "Emma" or "Persuasion".

But for my money, you could be a double for Mrs. Almanzo Wilder, aka Laura Ingalls from "Little House on the Prairie."

Jason

« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2003, 05:12:41 PM »

Let's try this again: Here I am as the Kralahome in THE KING AND I. The tan is mine, the rest is not, but I painted it on myself!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2003, 05:13:17 PM »

Hey, I know it's not "Ask BK (or Dear Reader) Day" but I have a question.  Has anyone heard of the book "Making Americans : Jews and the Broadway Musical" by Andrea Most?  It's not due to be published until February 2004.  I was just wondering if anyone knows what it's about (specifically) and if there have been any write-ups about it yet.  I work for a library and I just place the order for it.  I will, of course, request it and get it when it arrives.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:15:54 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2003, 05:13:58 PM »

Hey, I have another karma point!  Thank you!

:) :)

Before anyone asks (and I guess I should have said this before)  No, I didn't drink the beer to get the tabs.   I went to the local parks to get them.  

Beer--yuck.  

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2003, 05:17:54 PM »

Dear Reader MDS--Here's the L.A. Times' take on the "new" Alien:  http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/reviews/cl-et-dargis29oct29,2,2019132.story?coll=cl-mreview

Dear Reader Tom from Oz--I can assure you I was not trying to hunt down a costume, and even if I were, I can doubly assure you that it would not be that of a bear, be it of the ursine or homo sapien variety.

Dear Reader Music Guy--If Grandma Gelfinbaum were anything like either of my grandmothers, she'd call me a momzer now and then, too.

Dear Reader Sandra--That picture of you in your costume (now imagine this in my best ersatz Southern accent) just takes my breath away.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

François

« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2003, 05:19:18 PM »

A post from me! that should scare some of you for sure!

Since 1992, Halloween is also an official holiday here in France, but flying so high, with some pumpkin in the sky
 leaves totally cold....;Oh, a colporteur référence! Now, THAT'S scary!

Just read that a musical revue, starring Isabelle Georges -- from the original French version of AMOUR -- and Jérôme Pradon -- of many West End productions as Martin Guerre -- will open at ESPACE CARDIN next November 7.

The revue will showcases French standards made famous by Piaf, Trénet, Léo Ferré, etc, etc...

Hope it'll be a frightening good show!

Happy Halloween to all y'all!

Jason

« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2003, 05:25:24 PM »

Here's my favorite one, I think... This was for a White Trash Party we went to in college. My friend is wearing a Cher t-shirt with a denim mini skirt that had some sort of really tacky writing printed all over it. She was also wearing a small lock...no, not a locket, but a lock...on a chain around her neck.

I had the key on a gold chain around my neck, in addition to the lovely afro wig, fake moustache, yellowed teeth, stuffed crotch, stinky Chucks and really tacky white vinyl jacket. My face is made up to look like I'd fallen asleep outside while wearing sunglasses and I got sunburnt. Isn't that clever? Oh, yes...the sweatshirt underneath is one that I bought for $.75 at an OKC grocery store. It featured a family of color and read, "One of the family." It was a big hit.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2003, 05:28:18 PM »

My favorite costume was my junior year in college (the first year that I moved away).  Before I left my job here in Olympia to go to school in Bellingham, I had to train my replacement.  She bought me a going-away gift.  It was a yellow knit cap that had green stuffed cloth slug feelers sewn on in.  It was really cute.

For my costume that year, I had the slug hat and I got some green garbage bags that had the handles built into the bags (they weren't the drawstring-type of handles).  I cut open the bottom of one and put it over my head, using the handles as shoulder straps.  I took another one and cut open the bottom (again) but cut off the shoulder straps and taped that to the bottom half of the shirt top to make the body of the slug.  Then I took a third, cut off the handles (but left the bottom sealed) and stuffed it with old newspapers and stapled that to the bottom of the outfit to be the slug tail.  I (finally) took several strips of plastic wrap (of different lengths) and stapled those to the end of the tail to be the slime trail.

It was hot in there (plastic doesn't breathe, you know) but it was a pretty cool costume.  Everybody loved the slime trail idea.  By the time I graduated from college and moved back home, I lost the slug hat and have never seen another one like it.

You wanted details, Bruce!   ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2003, 05:28:21 PM »

Dear Reader Jason--Now that we can see you in that picture, I gotta tell you:  you give me cheekbone envy.

Dear Reader George--A book about Jews and the Broadway musical is like a book about Catholics and the Priesthood.  They sort of go hand in hand.  (Okay, okay.  The Jews did let a few goyim have a go at it.  Of course, most of them are/were gay.)  Last time I checked, you still had to be Catholic to be a priest, though.  As to whether they let gays in, ooooh, I'm not going to go there.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:35:27 PM by Jay »

François

« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2003, 05:33:46 PM »

Sorry to contredict you, Danise, but elephants DO fly!

Ever heard of DUMBO? ;)

Jason

« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2003, 05:36:48 PM »

DR Jay: Thank you for the cheekbone compliment, but let me assure you that without the shadows and highlights, my face looks like a big ole' basketball--big and round with no definition whatsoever. :P

Here's that first KING & I picture I tried posting before. This is the same girl from my White Trash picture, this time as Tuptim (yes, this was the all-white version of KING & I).

Jason

« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2003, 05:38:09 PM »

That's all for the pictures for today. I don't mean to take up too much space or slow anyone's computers down...

Jay

« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2003, 05:39:59 PM »

Honey, I could slather on all the makeup in the world and have the world's best lighting and my cheekbones would still hang down somewhere around my tits.

(Hmm.  Can I say that here?)

François

« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2003, 05:42:37 PM »

Oh, I see! -- I'm such a nerd when it comes to that, among other things!... -- when one reaches the Jr Member status, one can get cheered on or booed!!!

Gee; just like with "Real" TV! How scary!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2003, 05:44:39 PM »

td, please repost your michael weiss pic, just smaller - it really was too big and slowed my fast load time down in half.

François

« Reply #195 on: October 31, 2003, 05:46:29 PM »

YES, Jay, you can use "tits" here, of course!

It's a A CHORUS LINE reference after all!....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2003, 05:48:14 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that that book is about Jews and the Broadway musical.

I hear tons of kids outside, but not one of them has come to the door.  No comprende.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2003, 05:50:32 PM »

Given your house's HAUNTED past -- flying dead things, bee corpses, dead things at your doorstep -- can you BLAME the kids from steering clear?

IF there was ever a candidate for a haunted house, I'd think it was yours, Bruce.

No wonder poor Luckie peed everywhere she went!!!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2003, 05:51:25 PM »

Oh!  And good call on the subject of that book.

It all comes together for me now!  A fine companion piece for Medved's treatise on Jews in Hollywood!!!

:)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:53:52 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2003, 05:53:11 PM »

Frankie, boy!

Bon soir!!

How's it goin?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2003, 05:54:18 PM »

Finally, some trick or treaters arrived and I gave them good candy.

Jay

« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2003, 05:54:45 PM »

I'm off to see Gunmetal Blues at the Colony Theatre in Burbank.  I really don't know much about the show, save that it is a musical takeoff on the noir movies of the '30s and '40s that were based on Hammett and Cain and those of that ilk.

Jay

« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2003, 05:56:02 PM »

There are Jews in Hollywood?!  One can learn so much at this site.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2003, 05:57:59 PM »

Gave 'em the good stuff, eh, BK?

And who gets the other candy????

Hmmmmm?

Tomovoz

« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2003, 05:59:08 PM »

I'm still experimenting:

This maybe a photo of Jose in an OZ sandwhich
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2003, 06:00:33 PM »

That should be scary. The guy on the right is my partner of 25 years, Colin.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2003, 06:01:42 PM »

François:   I had a rather wonderful luncheon yesterday at a restaurant called "Soizic" here in Oakland.

I asked what "Soizic" means, and what do you suppose I was told????
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 06:06:10 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2003, 06:05:38 PM »

Who took the photo, Tom?  And where was it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2003, 06:06:54 PM »

A couple more trick or treaters have been here.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, as we need it) it is drizzling.  It has really cooled off and is actually quite chilly around these here parts, which is a lovely change of pace.

For those of you who've been enjoying my art, I've taken some more pix.  Here's a beautiful piece by Howard Connelly, which is also featured in the book The Great American Pinup.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2003, 06:10:16 PM »

Wow!  After a scary start, this day has shaped up as the second best of the week, thus far, and that's saying quite a bit, I think!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up