Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SO THAT WAS GOOD  (Read 22907 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:SO THAT WAS GOOD
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2003, 09:06:03 AM »

Good morning all.
If I know any Herman songs, which I'm sure I do, I don't know he wrote them.  I'm terrible with info like that...ask DR Jed.  It is sunny and beautiful and COLD here in the Northwest.  I don't think we've gotten above 55 for the last three days, and doesn't look like today will be any different.  But at least it's pretty to look at...
Off to get my coffee before class.  They finally brought back Gingerbread lattes at Starbucks for the holiday season!  yay!  Yes, I am a dyed in the wool Seattle girl...can't start my day without my Starbucks stop.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2003, 09:20:28 AM »

Well...Finally made it in, after a lot of confusion.  I still can't get to the edit profile page to change this convoluted password to something I'll actually remember.  And it seems we've added a lot of new steps between reading and posting.  But Bruce tells me it's all working better, so I'll believe him.  Maybe I just have to get used to the new methods, but I am an old dog and I'm not much for learning new tricks, so my comfort zone has been somewhat disrupted.

I agree with Bruce about how people keep trying to bring back shows that they somehow thought the public wasn't ready for, when the case usually was they just had a stinking book or a score with only one or two good songs in it.  As my favourite Jerry Herman song is I WON'T SEND ROSES (and I am not, on the whole, a particularly big Jerry Herman fan) and I was always curious regards the film history of MACK & MABEL, I was  interested in finding out how a show that also starred Robert Preston and Bernadette Peters could fail.   About five/six years ago, I saw a revival of it in London's West End.  The book stank.  It was a very disappointing show.

Pogue, back from his various jaunts.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2003, 09:28:20 AM »

I don't really know why they put on these "concert" presentations - this particular group carries scripts, wears semblances of costumes, has a few set pieces but it's neither fish nor fowl.

BK---Although concert versions are not complete and leave you (and me) unsatisfied, I do believe they serve a purpose...maybe more than one.

Many of these shows and their scores would be "lost" forever if they weren't resurrected now and then.

They serve to educate and expose younger (and older) audiences to shows they've never or wouldn't have an opportunity to see.

It gives performers a chance to "play" some of these roles that they'd otherwise never get to play in today's theater.

P.S. Your experience reminds me of mine when I've listened to Rod Stewart's current recordings of the Great American Songbook. Ugh...pablum for the masses. Like you said, "Neither fish nor fowl." His fans are going to listen to his versions and think what's so great about these songs or, worse yet, think these are the "definitive" versions. Oy!

For others who might be interested:
The particular group BK spoke of is The Musical Theatre Guild and is made up of a company of actors that have experience on Broadway. Reprise! is another similar group but over the years they have gone from carrying scripts to nearly full-fledged productions.

Both of these groups are West Coast based. Here are their websites:
http://www.musicaltheatreguild.com
http://www.reprise.org

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2003, 09:33:30 AM »

Pogue - since you were out of town for the changeover, the steps are simple:

Go to www.haineshisway.com as you always did - read the notes.  At the end of them click on the icon (Go to the Unseemly Discussion Board), once there click on Daily Discussions, then click on the top entry which will have the title of the current day's notes.  Voila.

Since your password got you into the site, all you have to do is click on the "Edit Profile" button at the bottom of the page.  That will bring up a new page where you can put in new info, including a new password.  Remember, and this is an annoying step but it must be done - once you enter your new password (and reenter it) then you must enter the password you were sent via e-mail ONE LAST TIME in the box provided.  Once you've done that and clicked "save" your new password will work and you will never again have to use your old one.  You can also check the box that says "stay logged in" or whatever it says, and then you will never have to log in again - it will "remember" you every time you come to the site.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2003, 09:36:45 AM »

Weird....
thanks DR Ron - I cleaned the disk...and all other disks work fine....but this one gives me an "incompatible disk" error.  That is so strange.

I will try it on my sister's player later.  STRANGE
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2003, 09:37:32 AM »

Hello everyone!  I'm out of class and ready to start my REAL day.  

Sorry I was E&T yesterday evening.  What happened is Macbeth came over and we engaged in quite heated game of Trivial Pursuit.  However, we didn't finish the game--we're planning to today with very raised stakes. If I win, he has to wear a dress to rehearsal.  If he wins, I have to address his as "Your Majesty" for one whole rehearsal.  I'm in the lead as of now...I have 5 pies....please send me winning vibes because I have to win!!!

Favorite Herman songs (and there are a lot so I'll just list my very very favorites):

It's Today
Bosom Buddies
If He Walked Into My Life
Hello Dolly
Before the Parade Passes By
Wherever He Ain't
Look What Happened to Mabel
Time Heals Everything
I Won't Send Roses
I Am What I Am
Song on the Sand
I Don't Want to Know

BK--thanks for the Dear World report!  I'm sorry to hear that the book is so irredeemably awful.  I wonder if a really talented libretto writer got his hands on it though (someone like Terrence McNally maybe), it may be tolerable??

Ben--count me a member of the Anthony Warlow club now!  I hadn't heard him before but I recently heard him singing This is the Moment from the J&H concept album and it just floored me.  And I don't even like that song much!

Jason--I think we all appreciate your honestly regarding Bounce.  As much as I love and revere Sondheim as the genius he is, I sometimes think that this love blurs my objectivity.  So sometimes I'm able to overlook faults in his work that I would not in a lesser composer, you know what I mean?

Jrand--Is there anyway you could post the Elyse Gardner link?  Pweese!!!  ;D

Donna--thanks for the info on Anything But Love...I will definitely try to catch it.  I love Alix Corey...she's such an underrated performer.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2003, 09:40:52 AM »

Donna--there was recently a feature in Entertainment Weekly in which Michael Feinstein evaluated standards albums put out by pop/rock singers.  I don't have it on me, so I can't quote it, but he said that Rod Stewart sounded like he was singing karaoke on his album!
I've heard excerpts from it, and I can't say I entirely disagree....
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 09:41:12 AM by Maya »

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2003, 09:50:48 AM »

Jerry Herman
It's interesting about Jerry Herman's songs. After listening for awhile to some of the big, blockbuster songs (like Hello Dolly!), you get tired of them and tend to write them off. On the other hand, some of his "quieter" songs can stay with you. I've never seen a production of Dear World but, for the most part, I love the score--especially the ballads, they're so heartfelt.  

Some favorite Jerry Hermans ...
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Shalom...Before the Parade Passes By...So Long Dearie...Gooch's Song...If He Walked Into My Life...Dear World...I Don't Want to Know...And I Was Beautiful...Kiss Her Now...Garbage[/move]

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2003, 09:56:35 AM »

Maya -- I agree with Michael Feinstein! The songs  all seem to be the same tempo and it sounds like he's being accompanied by a snythesizer (spell?).

Thanks for the reference. I'll have to find the article.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2003, 09:59:31 AM »

DR Maya - it was in yesterday's USA TODAY, so today it is in the "pay" archives.  Check your newspaper recycle bins for Monday's Life Section.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2003, 10:06:34 AM »

So many excellent songs by Mr. Herman have already been named, I'm not sure I can add to the list.

I must concur with Dear Reader Donna on the value of the work of groups like Musical Theatre Guild (and, I gather, Mufti, in New York.)  I think they perform an excellent service in doing live performances of works that have some interest for one reason or another but for which a full revival is highly unlikely.  True, some of the pieces Musical Theatre Guild has done are problematic, some are second drawer works from top drawer creative teams, some are excellent works that just never found an audience.  Without MTG, though, I would not have had the opportunity to see and hear works I'd never seen or heard before, like Dear World last night, or Floyd Collins or Parade, and so forth.  So I am very happy they exist, and even happier that they perform in my own backyard.  Remaining shows in the MTG season this year are Little Mary Sunshine, Lady in the Dark and I Can Get It For You Wholesale.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2003, 10:08:03 AM »

Jrand:  I'm assuming here that this disk has played well in the past???  Or is it new?

I'm sure Criterion stand behind their product...but if this disk played before and suddenly doesn't, it seems it was somehow damaged (bummer).

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2003, 10:12:50 AM »

Well, Bruce, you say it's easy, but everytime I click on edit profile (and it's been doing this since last night) two warning screed's come up saying something like WARNING: Cannot modify header information. with a bunch more stuff and code-like scrawls.  Then there is a blue box at the bottom of the page that announces ERROR: cannot modify header information and a whole bunch more jargon.  So the question is:  What am I doing wrong now?

Ben

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2003, 10:45:26 AM »

BK, just to verify what Charles is saying, the profile doesn't seem to be working. It's most likely related to last night's crash. When you click on Profile, you get this.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /domain/.local/haines/www/community/Sources/Profile.php:1) in /domain/.local/haines/www/community/Sources/Subs.php on line 224

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /domain/.local/haines/www/community/Sources/Profile.php:1) in /domain/.local/haines/www/community/Sources/Subs.php on line 225

I'll post this at the Tech board too, so Mark can see it.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2003, 10:46:32 AM »

It's not just you, Charles.  I read your post and tried to edit my own profile.  I get the same error message.

This may be a leftover from the hacker/interloper that took place yesterday afternoon.  Or it may be something completely different!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 10:47:10 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ben

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2003, 10:48:56 AM »

I posted a note on the tech board in the Welcome thread including the error message.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2003, 10:51:29 AM »

JRand53, I had that problem with my BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE dvd. It took several tries but eventually it worked. You may need to keep putting it in the player until if finally takes it.

Am home sick today. Had a sore throat all weekend, but thought it might be allergies. But today I am miserable...slept from 10pm last night to 10am tonight.
Am gonna curl up on the couch with my cat and finish watching TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and then watch MEET ME IN ST LOUIS...two movies that, believe it or not, I have never seen before.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2003, 11:00:51 AM »

Last night Ron P. posted "MBarnum:  Thanks for the info re: Gordon Mitchell.  Can you share more info on him?  Was he a bodybuilder?  Did he do other movies?  I know nothing about him, but I'm glad you got to know him."

Ron, he did indeed make more films. Gordon was a bodybuilder in Venice during the heyday of bodybuilding (1940s and 1950s). He can be seen as a guard in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS and in 1960 he went to Italy to star in THE GIANT OF METROPOLIS. He made many sword and sandal films in Europe and then movied onto other genres. In all he made over 200 films! I interviewed him for an article in FILMFAX magazine. He was a super nice guy and we stayed in touch up until his death in September.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2003, 11:07:27 AM »

Yes it played fine before on my previous DVD player.  I will keep trying it.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2003, 11:08:14 AM »

The lovely and lyrical LuLu has just joined our ranks as the latest member! Hoo and Ray. Welcome back to Miss LuLu.

See all the information you can glean by reading the Stats board. I know, I know, I'm a gerd or a neek. That's a cross between a geek and a nerd. I think it was S. Woody a few days ago who talked about the differences between the two. Since he and de Brucer are hotfooting it to the East Coast, I thought I would combine the two and get a whole new breed of character.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2003, 11:14:50 AM »

Another error I just encountered...

After writing and editing my post I clicked the "Post" button and got an error message.  Since there were three new messages poste while I was trying to  writing my message is it possible that I clicked the button at the exact same time as someone else --- or maybe a second later --- and mine got lost.  Can something be done to prevent this?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2003, 11:18:48 AM »

I don't get an "error" message when I click edit profile.  Try clearing your cache and doing it again.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2003, 11:22:35 AM »

I'll try again.  From now on I'll do a Control C so if the Post doesn't work (like before) I won't have to type it all again.

According to Jerry Herman's autobiography SHOWTUNE which was published a few years ago, the reason he has not written a new show since LA CAGE is that he had not found a property that he would be willing to spend at least two years with from start to Broadway opening.  Meanwhile the just published book of his lyrics said that after LA CAGE he decided he had nothing more to prove.  Which ever is correct, his shows will be missed by those of us who love a good old fashioned musical comedy.  At least there seems to be a new revue of his songs every few years to remind us of what we are missing.

On a different topic, URINETOWN is closing in January rather than look for another theatre since the one they are in is being torn down.  Still the show will have had a Broadway run of almost 1,000 performance which is quite a feat for a show of this type.  I'll probably see it again before it closes to check out the mostly new cast.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ben

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2003, 11:24:30 AM »

Regarding the Profile error, I cleared my cache, even to the point of deleting the HHW cookie and closed my browser completely. I opened up, logged back into HHW and I still get the error message when I click on Edit Profile or when I try to read someone elses profile.

Jay

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2003, 11:31:14 AM »

Periodically I read that Miss Spectacular is being readied for a Las Vegas production.  This would qualify as a new Jerry Herman musical.  A concept recording of the score is available, and it includes a song that is making its way around the cabaret and concert circuit:  Where In the World Is My Prince?

Ben

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2003, 11:34:32 AM »

Jay, you're a full member! Hoo and Ray.

Jay

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2003, 11:36:59 AM »

Aww, shucks.  Thanks for noticing.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2003, 11:48:18 AM »

MBarnum, sorry about your friend.    Hope you feel better tomorrow.

George, what was the time frame between your before photo and your after photo?  I’m guessing the after photo is the clear one.

WFO, definitely good vibes on all three counts.  Unfortunately I know too well how it feels to be the object of dreadful lies and the need to “move on”.  I’ll be thinking of you.

Charles Pogue, my comfort zone has also been disrupted.  It’s taking me forever to read the postings.  I’m lucky I have Keith to handle the technical difficulties for me.  Thanks to him I finally have a picture, even if it needs to be improved on.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2003, 11:57:18 AM »

Instead of post, I clicked on reset form and everything disappeared.  What is reset form for?

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2003, 12:03:19 PM »

Hey good afternoon all!

What lovely weather we have here today (do you like it DRs Andrea and Emily?)

:)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up