Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FRESH AS A DAISY  (Read 14069 times)

Jennifer

Re:FRESH AS A DAISY
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 08:34:45 AM »

Re: last night's AMAZING RACE.

I was happy that the winners got the money.  But not happy that they won (if that makes sense).  It's hard to believe that the pilot letting them on that flight decided the outcome.  

I hate when there is bunching.  And last night was no exception.  It let a team that was 6+ hours behind catch up.  Also, there really wasn't much for them to do last night (which i hate). I like more challenges, more flights (that part was good), and more chances for mistakes.

There was a lot of luck that played into the show.  U/J getting the flat tire.   I prefer when actions result in winning or losing (like ron and kelly making a wrong turn to the airport).

And what was up with Uchenna paying the cabbie before crossing the finish?  Couldn't he have just had the guy wait for 15 minutes and gotten the money (from Meredith perhaps).  Really bizarre.

But how touching were the comments Uchenna made about having a baby.  I hope we will hear baby news soon! I guess a lot of people will be happy with the outcome.  They were my second choice to win.  But how crazy that the betting spoiler was right.  I wonder how that leaked out so early (i accidently read it because some idiot put their names in the subject heading when talking about the spoiler).

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2005, 08:37:39 AM »

This is the least fresh daisy I have ever seen!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2005, 08:39:19 AM »

I am DELIRIOUS the odious Rob and Amber were beaten!  I am ECSTATIC that Rob's glee at getting the only two standby seats on the earlier flight worked AGAINST them.

FATE has a way of dealing the right cards from time to time.

As for why they waited to pay the cab driver...it's because they are HONEST.  There should be much more of that than there is.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2005, 08:41:18 AM »

Please don't VILIFY me!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2005, 08:46:43 AM »

Daisy Summer Piper

Come and take me by the hand
There's so much to be seen
The fields are dancing daisy bright
Hills are dappled green

Winter wind has ceased her labor
Giving birth to blossom rain as sweet as rain
And maybe you will fall in love
And maybe you'll be mine

Daisy summer pipers come to town
Piping people out of doors
To see the magic all around
Listen now you'll hear his sound

Stare into a mirror pool
And laugh so princely vain
The skies become kaleidoscopes
With no two turns the same

And pebbles send them dancing off
In ripple rings of sun burnt cloud and windy blues
And maybe we will fall in love
Before the day is through

Daisy summer pipers come to town
Piping people out of doors
To see the magic all around
Listen now you'll hear his sound

http://www.jonimitchell.com/DaisySummerPiperUnLyrics.html

© Gandalf Publishing Co. 1966

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2005, 08:49:42 AM »

Speaking of wonderful character actors/actresses (well, we did speak of them some time back), Margaret Rutherford was in a movie last night called THE RUNAWAY BUS which I taped last night, along with a Dick Foran movie and a Jeff Chandler movie...just wanted to share.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2005, 08:51:38 AM »

I like DR MBARNUM'S picture caption.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2005, 08:53:36 AM »

DR RonP I didn't mean that they should have stiffed the cab driver.  I just was wondering why they didn't tell him they would pay him AFTER they crossed the finish line.

Others have suggested that they were obligated to settle things with the driver until he was satisfied (because leaving him would have been against the law and they are not allowed to break the law).

The editing suggested that they did it out of the kindness of their hearts (which is also possible).

I just thought it made no sense to want to pay him BEFORE crossing the finish line. I'm sure he would have waited 30 minutes (which is probably how long it took them to beg for the $$ anyhow).

Also, I don't really get people who are so happy for Romber's downfall.  Yes, Joyce and Uchenna were lovely people.  But I'm sure that Rob and Amber are nice people too.  I don't know if it's jealousy (i'm not talking about you) or what (i know they didn't need the money as much as U/J).  I just like the most competitive team to win.  It's not about the money to me.  Like I said, I'm perfectly happy for U/J to have the money.  I just wanted Romber to win the race. :)

Btw, I do get that many people just didn't like the way Rob played the game.  And that is fine.  But the editing does play a big part in creating "characters" on these shows.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2005, 08:57:36 AM »

DRMATTH - that actor has more problems than being in a show...LOL.  You will get someone BETTER, you'll see.  I am sure the director would be open to suggestions at this point if you know someone....I bet you do, think!

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2005, 09:02:21 AM »

DRMATTH - that actor has more problems than being in a show...LOL.  You will get someone BETTER, you'll see.  I am sure the director would be open to suggestions at this point if you know someone....I bet you do, think!

if only Joey lived on the other side of the country  :)

vixmom

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2005, 09:13:14 AM »

Question to anybody... why do we write "i.e." to mean "for example"?  I know I knew the answer to this once, but I cannot remember it.  

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2005, 09:17:10 AM »

When ever I see a daisy it makes me think of my Aunt Jo.  She was my favorite aunt, and daisies were her favorite flower.  She said they looked "honest and unpretentious"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2005, 09:23:12 AM »

DR Jennifer:  The most competitive team or individual in any competition is not always the most desirable or deserving.

Being fiercely competitive does not make anyone "worthy" of winning.  It's the whole individual that makes him or her or them worthy.

Rob is a first class sh*t, IMO.  He came off that way on Survivor and he came of that way in TAR.  

The team that won deserved the win.  They played it fairly, squarely and they didn't have to look for tricky ways to get ahead of anyone.  

It's cosmic karma.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2005, 09:24:01 AM »

When ever I see a daisy it makes me think of my Aunt Jo.  She was my favorite aunt, and daisies were her favorite flower.  She said they looked "honest and unpretentious"

Whenever I see flowers and bunnies and whatnots strewn all about, it just makes me want to fwow up.

:D

vixmom

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2005, 09:26:02 AM »

RON!! Did you just villify Rob, flowers, bunnies and whatntots?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2005, 09:40:16 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day:

Are there any of the new Broadway composers that you like?  Those who have begun to have shows during that past 15 years or so?  Please give examples.

Just composers?  Steve Flaherty, some of Bill Finn (although he's earlier than that).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2005, 09:42:08 AM »

Composers & lyricists.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2005, 09:42:14 AM »

Two Questions:

Did the First Nudie Musical make any of the Academy Awards pre-nominations nominations that year?

The Off-Broadway musical that you will record is that the one that Tony Walton was involved in?

I would doubt we made any of the pre-nominations - we only really submitted in the song category.

Can't mention what the recording is quite yet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2005, 09:43:49 AM »

BK, what exactly do you mean by "comp" the vocals?   I assume you are not offering them free room service.

I believe I talked about this extensively in either Monday or Tuesday's notes (probably Tuesday's).  Briefly, comping is taking the multiple vocal takes on a song and using the best bits from each to make one vocal take.

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2005, 09:45:17 AM »

I believe I talked about this extensively in either Monday or Tuesday's notes (probably Tuesday's).  Briefly, comping is taking the multiple vocal takes on a song and using the best bits from each to make one vocal take.

Oh yes, you did talk about it but I thought that was 'mixing"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2005, 09:45:36 AM »

BK, you never answered my question that I asked the other day about a Fox movie that you watched - THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS. (Or if you answered it, I never saw the response and I apologize in advance.)

What I asked was if it is a part of the Fox Studio Classics series or was it a generic Fox release? It is a Fox film, isn't it?

Not part of the Studio Classics line as far as I can tell.  The film was a Fox pickup - released by Fox, but made in England by others.  It doesn't even carry a Fox logo at the beginning.

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2005, 09:46:57 AM »

So then the mixing is bringing the different final tracks of the vocals and the instrumentals together?  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2005, 09:49:43 AM »

Yep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2005, 09:50:24 AM »

VILIFY, baby, VILIFY!

I'm getting a rather late start to the morning.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2005, 10:03:46 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

DR Kerry - Don't worry about those two extra hours of sleep.  I made sure they were put to good use this morning.

;)

And now with the morning slept away, what now?  Hmm...  Laundry, mail, sorting, e-mails, phone calls... Ah, well.  The rest/sleep was good and much needed.

Guess I should get some breakfast/brunch/lunch...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2005, 10:04:17 AM »

VILIFY!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2005, 10:15:45 AM »

Question to anybody... why do we write "i.e." to mean "for example"?  I know I knew the answer to this once, but I cannot remember it.

i.e. - LATIN  id est (that is).
e.g. - LATIN  exempli gratia (for example).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 10:16:27 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »

YIKES!

Just watching the footage of the evacuations this morning in DC due to a possible "intruder" airplane....  YIKES!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2005, 10:21:27 AM »

i.e. - LATIN  id est (that is).
e.g. - LATIN  exempli gratia (for example).

Thank you!!

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2005, 10:21:32 AM »

DR Jennifer:  The most competitive team or individual in any competition is not always the most desirable or deserving.

Being fiercely competitive does not make anyone "worthy" of winning.  It's the whole individual that makes him or her or them worthy.

Rob is a first class sh*t, IMO.  He came off that way on Survivor and he came of that way in TAR.  

The team that won deserved the win.  They played it fairly, squarely and they didn't have to look for tricky ways to get ahead of anyone.  

It's cosmic karma.

I'm not sure if you've watched this edition.  But I think anyone who did would agree that Rob and Amber were the best team.  That is what I meant by most competitive.

I really disagree that the team that won deserved to win.  Yes they were very nice (but so were Meredith and Gretchen). That didn't make them deserving (they were slow and bad at tasks).

Don't get me wrong. I really like Uchenna and Joyce. They seemed to be truly lovely people.  BUt they finished near the middle of the pack most legs.  That is not a winning team to me.  I want a team that is kind to each other, that is competitive, and that is the best.  I get that some people don't like Rob.  But you act as if he's evil.  He was playing a game.  He didn't try to hurt anyone.  Maybe his extreme competitiveness got in the way of him being overly nice.  But I don't think that anyone should expect a team to share information or hand the last place team money.  They are in a competition.

I think that Uchenna and Joyce did have some qualities which set them apart from the rest.  I guess I just wish that they had done better in the other legs of the race.  Plus they were in last place (at the non-elimination). And many hours behind when the bunching occured.  

I know i won't change your mind about this.  I just find that often people (including most people here at HHW who watch TAR) want to cheer for the most likeable team.  It occasionally happens (like with Kris & Jon in TAR6) that the likeable team is the best. But more often than not they aren't even close to being the best.

I can't really explain it, but I find myself always cheering for who I find to be the strongest team.  And frankly even though I liked Romber from Survivor, I was pretty shocked at how good they were in this game.

Okay enough comments from me about this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up