Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FINE WHINES  (Read 31961 times)

td

• td
Re:FINE WHINES
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2003, 02:59:15 PM »

So does anybody else remember that Barry Humphries was in the sequal to THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2003, 03:03:31 PM »

DR JED: In the colonies we rhyme Fairy with Hairy, Marry with Harry and Ferry with DR  Kerry. We still tend to use the Oxford pronumciations (with an OZ drawl). What would we know?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2003, 03:04:45 PM »

Humphries was the Undertaker in the original cast (and recording) of "Oliver" too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 03:05:29 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2003, 03:12:53 PM »

DR JED: In the colonies we rhyme Fairy with Hairy, Marry with Harry and Ferry with DR  Kerry. We still tend to use the Oxford pronumciations (with an OZ drawl). What would we know?

Ahh!!!  You can add hairy, Harry, and Kerry to the list of words that have the same vowel sound as fairy, ferry, Mary, merry, and marry in the NW US.  My how boring our accent is turning out to be!!!  Everything sounds the same!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2003, 03:15:31 PM »

So does anybody else remember that Barry Humphries was in the sequal to THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I do!   ;D  Shock Treatment.  I've got the album! (an Oh, Brother! reference--does anyone know that show??)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 03:17:36 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2003, 03:18:26 PM »

When I do visit the NW to take up my honorary residency etc. no-one will understand a word  I say.
When I was on a plane from NYC to New Orleans, the lady sitting next to me wondered from what part Of NY I had come as my accent was so different. (She was from NY). I of course sound like a cross between Anthony Warlow and Hugh Jackman. (Not Russell Crowe who is from NZ).
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2003, 03:19:19 PM »

Oooooh! I just karma-ed George.  I hope it was as good for him as it was for me. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2003, 03:21:56 PM »

I'm having a grin imagining JRand recruited by Dame Edna to be doing something onstage about now.

Perhaps, in an hour, JRand will be hauled off to dress up as a member of the Royal Family!

I do envy him the merriment of the moment!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2003, 03:23:07 PM »

DR TFO:  Do you "realize" that you are but 24 posts from being a Sr. Member with four stars?

George

« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2003, 03:27:58 PM »

Oooooh! I just karma-ed George.  I hope it was as good for him as it was for me. . .

Thanks, td!  You made my day.  

The Playbill.com article that is announcing the concert version of Wonderful Town to be broadcast on PBS in December has a picture of both Audra McDonald and the World's Sexiest Man Alive, Brent Barrett.

Here's the link to the article:  http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82631.html

and here's the picture (I couldn't resist):
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2003, 03:30:05 PM »

George-the happy face went straight from the computer to my face.

And a karma point for you, Jane!   ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2003, 03:30:27 PM »

And such an exclusive club too. I hope there is no language requirement. Now you know why I never join the chat. No-one would be able to understand me!
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2003, 03:30:48 PM »

After this post, only 5 (five) more posts until I'm a Full Member!

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2003, 03:36:30 PM »

OMG, how cute are these?

Michael

« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2003, 03:38:18 PM »

Yesterdays topic title was a day early as this afternoon I went to see regional produciton of The Alergist's Wife. The only person I recognized in the cast was Meg Foster who played the Michelle Lee role and I believe the actress who played the mother in NYC also played it here.

Both my mother and I were disappointed. We thought it was supposed to be a laugh riot from what we heard from friends of ours. This was not the case. I don't know if they got the wrong actors for the part but it wasn't that good. We both felt that the actress who played the Linda Lavin/Valerie Harper role played it pitch too loud and one note. Not sure if she was directedf that way. Also it wasn;t until the end of the play that I realized that the actor playing ther husband was channeling Albert Brooks during the performance.

Has anyone seen the play and has a similar thought or really enjoyed it?

Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2003, 03:40:55 PM »

I am so confused. How can "marry", "mary", and "merry" all be prounounced the same?  Here "mary" and "merry" are the same (like fairy, or ferry, or hairy). But MARRY is like HARRY or CARRIE.

I'm cracking myself up by saying "marry" like "mary".  MARY ME! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2003, 03:44:04 PM »

Since I'm hungry I figured I'd check out the food and drink smilies. There are some funny ones:

Jennifer

« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2003, 03:48:20 PM »

DR Ben, I just gave you some karma. So sorry to hear your news. I hope your brother will be okay.

Btw, a few DRs mentioned that their karma was taken away.  Please don't "boo" or take away karma.  There is enough bad stuff in the world.  Here we need to be positive and give good vibes!

Ben

« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2003, 03:51:28 PM »

George, I know Oh, Brother.  I don't know the show well, but I have the CD (it was done by Original Cast Records in CT). It was not a success so I missed it when it played here but I love the song What Do I Tell People This Time?. It had some good people, Judy Kaye, Harry Groener, Joe Morton and David-James Carroll. Oh, well (or should I say Oh, Brother).

BK uses (or used) the Pepsi smilie alot. If he's sick he shouldn't be drinking Pepsi. Maybe chicken soup or tea or chicken tea or something like that.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 03:52:24 PM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2003, 03:53:11 PM »

Thank you Jennifer. You're a sweetheart!

Now, since I pulled it out, I will go listen to Oh, Brother and Miss Judy Kaye.

Emily

« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2003, 03:55:07 PM »

Taken from the McGill University Reporter - the University's Monthly Magazine on Campus Research (November 21, 2002)

Speaking of Montreal

By Maeve Haldane

Quick -- say "Mary was merry when she went to marry."

Linguistics professor Charles Boberg
PHOTO: Owen Egan

If you pronounced Mary, merry and marry differently, you are from a) New York, b) England or c) Montreal.

"In English, variations tell you where people come from," says Linguistics professor Charles Boberg. As for the above sentence, most North American English speakers pronounce the words m/ary/erry/arry the same way, save for us Montrealers, who distinguish between "merry" and "marry," and our New York cousins, who differentiate them all, just like the British.

How the world's languages are rendered is the stuff of linguists. Boberg specializes in North American varieties of spoken English; and has turned his finely tuned ear towards Montreal.

Boberg says a good listener can tell what region folks are from by the vocabulary they use. If a group is casually discussing furniture and one fellow refers to his chesterfield, he's probably an older Canadian (whose daughter nonetheless might say "couch"). An American west coaster's soda is a Midwesterner's pop is an old-school Bostonian's tonic. To us Montrealers they are soft drinks, and pop to the rest of Canada. If a new gal in the office calls the water fountain a bubbler, impress her by guessing she's from Milwaukee. And where else in North America would you hear an English speaker say, "I'll take the autoroute to the dépanneur"?

Distinctions can be heard in grammatical structure, too. For example, as a social indicator, "I didn't buy no apples," would be said by someone who is working class, or trying to be, yet the semantic meaning, "I didn't buy any apples" is clear.

"People basically self-construct themselves socially," Boberg says. Just like what kind of car or house they buy or clothes they wear, how someone talks pegs their status. "People change the way they speak as an indicator of social situation."

Another way speakers mark themselves is by pronunciation, Boberg says, especially of their vowel sounds. Do you pronounce leisure to rhyme with seizure or pleasure? This difference can be heard easily and written orthographically (like the "ee" in meet or the "e" in met). Even finer distinctions, like the slightly varied vowel sound in "couch" as said by an American or a Canadian, can be represented by using the International Phonetic Alphabet. The IPA is a system of symbols that can represent sounds, including tone variations, force, and even where in the mouth the sound is formed.

But what if the subtleties in sound are too fine to pinpoint, or seem different to each researcher? "The problem with the ear is it's not so consistent," Boberg says.

Technology can be more reliable. "A computer decomposes those sound waves to their component frequencies," says Boberg, which brings precision to an auditorily fine field. Speak a few words into a microphone and the software Computerized Speech Lab renders your utterances visually, giving an acoustic analysis of the vowels.

Boberg explains that "a spectrogram shows different peaks of energy in the speech signal, called formants, which indicate the precise position of the tongue in the mouth during the production of a vowel. By measuring the frequency of these formants, we can get a more accurate record of tongue position than we do by listening and transcribing. The frequencies of the first two formants are correlated with the vertical and horizontal positions of the tongue, respectively, and together, they are reliable indicators of vowel quality that can be used to distinguish sounds."

Boberg uses these tools to analyze how English Montrealers sound. He's broken down native English speakers in Montreal into three groups: the Anglo Montrealers of British descent, who predominantly live in the West Island, Westmount or NDG, or in pockets of Verdun or Pointe St. Charles; those with an East-European Jewish background, who have Yiddish as a base; and Mediterraneans of south European extraction, "like Italians who may not be fluent in Italian, but still use it at home."

Anglo Montrealers sound mostly like English speakers in the rest of Canada, Boberg says, but if you include native English speakers of Jewish or Italian descent, Montreal English sounds quite different.

"In Montreal, English is a minority language," Boberg says. There are two factors behind the variation in Montreal's English-speaking ethnic communities, he adds. "There is a weak English model, because French is dominant, and there's self-segregation in homogenous neighbourhoods." For example, Italians who live in St. Léonard go to high schools where 80 percent of the students are Italian.

Research like his contribute to understanding the nature of language in ethnically diverse urban communities, and add to the complexity of describing speech for comparative purposes, Boberg says. If we compared English spoken in Montreal to that of Toronto, we'd get a different comparison depending on which Montreal English was used.

How a speech community came to be demonstrates how groups socialized. For example, the white population of Detroit a hundred years ago was quite mixed, ethnically. But today, due to the American melting pot, they sound more alike than not. Yet the English spoken there may have once been as diverse as Montreal's today.

How we speak gives us a deep connection to a sense of being Canadian. "The traditional areas of folk culture have been replaced by modern culture -- we no longer have traditional folk dances," Boberg says. "One of the few differences between Canada and the US is still the way we speak."

Now, with his pilot project out of the way, he'll be collecting interviews with 72 Montrealers of various ethnic and social backgrounds, and examining how those factors interact to determine how they speak. He's funded by the Fonds québécois de la recherche sur la société et la culture.

Boberg grew up in a multi-dialectical household -- all grist for the budding linguist's mill. His mother was from London, England, his father from Alberta, they lived in the mid-west US, then Edmonton (and he watched Monty Python). "That gave me a flexibility," he said, crucial for grasping the variables that go into creating language.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2003, 04:04:52 PM »

Thanks Emily. All I have to do now is decide whether I am from Montreal, New York or England.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2003, 04:09:18 PM »

Merry as in berry

Mary was in wary

Marry as in carry.

Of course, if you pronounce all the second words the same way, we're back to square one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 04:14:00 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2003, 04:13:41 PM »

I have just been to feed my regular visitors:
Another reason for not living in a city.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2003, 04:15:20 PM »

Does that mean you too Ron are from Montreal, NY or England? So much for Canadian academics.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2003, 04:17:10 PM »

By the way, these birds are sitting about 10 feet away from where I am typing this note.
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2003, 04:22:12 PM »

Dear Reader Ben--Good vibes to you and your brother and his family.

Dear Reader Jane--Thank you!  (That makes you and my Mom.)

Dear Reader MDS--Regarding Allergist's Wife:  I thought the first two and half acts were funny, in a sort of Neil Simon-updated sort of way.  Last half of third act not funny and rather weird.  (I saw it with Valerie Harper, Michele Lee and Tony Roberts.)

Dear Readers:  I saw Elf this afternoon.  It's cute (not precious, but cute) and funny.  I've never seen Will Ferrell before (I've told you I don't watch television) and he does the childlike (not childish) wonder and joy schtick very well, without becoming irritating.  Bob Newhart is excellent, as well.  I suspect this picture will take off, as it appeals to youngsters and--with some very clever almost-below-the-radar humor--adults, both.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2003, 04:23:15 PM »

Gosh, TFO, those birds are beautiful!

But, do they poop on your deck?

Is that why there is such a thing as a poop deck?

Maybe the poop deck was directly below the masts where the seagulls perched?

At any rate, a good hosing off will take care of the poop of those little guys.

They're gorgeous.  What kind of birds are they?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2003, 04:27:07 PM »

And no, TFO, I'm not from any of those places.

But I am a citizen of the world.  Been there, done that, that sort of thing.

Lost my southern accent decades ago, although down South, we do take care how we pronounce words, although we may draw(l) them out a bit.

Mary normally has a long "A" (the one in "may")

The "air" in Fairy has the same sound as "air".

The "err" in Merry has the sam sound as "err."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2003, 04:36:32 PM »

Oliver.... why not take all of her.......

Ah yes, Oliver puns.  Thank you Tom, Craig, and Ron.  I went all the way to Gig Harbor for rehearsal, only to find out that it was cancelled and no one bothered to tell me.  Do I detect some anti-fagin sentiment in Gig Harbor?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up