Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MY HEAD IS SWIMMING  (Read 16468 times)

Tomovoz

Re:MY HEAD IS SWIMMING
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2005, 09:02:54 PM »

For those old enough to remember - I am about to listen to the Kalin Twins. They had 4 hits in this country.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2005, 09:05:24 PM »

Hello MBarnum.  I don't think it was Ebb Tide that damaged my tape deck heads - there could have been sand washed up though.
Yesterday's listening was Kander & Ebb's "Zorba" - both versions. We watched the movie the night before.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2005, 09:06:03 PM »

At least we're on page 5 now.  I'll be back later.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2005, 09:11:51 PM »

Good Evening!

Been sort of a blah day for me all around.  Not bad, not good.  Just blah.

Guess I was due for one.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2005, 09:13:31 PM »

However, I did step out earlier to make a grocery store run, and it was/is absolutely gorgeous outside.  Humidity died down and in the upper 60s.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2005, 09:13:55 PM »

Later has arrived as the Kalin Twins are telling me about their "Three O'clock Thrill".

It's been a bit "blah" here too DR Jose.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2005, 09:15:11 PM »

The zebu, man!  We are neglecting the zebu!

Had a lovelier than lovely dinner with la Pogues.  Stuffed ourselves silly, but the conversation, as always, was sparkling and delightfully delightful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2005, 09:16:05 PM »

I could use a Three O'Clock Thrill.  I had a thrill at one-thirty, but not at three.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Jacuzzi night tonight, in about thirty minutes.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2005, 09:16:54 PM »

Painful defeat at Yankee Stadium tonight. Grrrr.

However, it WAS quite cool tonight. And thus a pleasant evening weatherwise.

I returned to read BK speaking out passionately against tsunami warnings.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2005, 09:18:51 PM »

DAMN YOU TSUNAMI WARNINGS! DAMN YOU!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2005, 09:20:31 PM »

Tsuna mi than you at the ball game DR Rodzinski.
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2005, 09:22:04 PM »

I've noticed that when Fox is going to release a DVD, they show the heck out of the movie on Fox Movie Channel. I have been seeing GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN on there a lot lately. When that movie is on, I cannot help but watch it to the end. Funny, funny movie, in my book. Robert Morse, funny. Matthau, brilliant. Joey Bishop: DENY, DENY, DENY. Some of the "skits" miss the mark, but generally a good time.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »

Zebu Zebu Bop
Zebu Bop, Zebu Bop...

I ain't got nobody
Nobody, cares for me, nobody, nobody
I'm so sad and lonely
Won't some sweet mama come and take a chance on me? etc.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2005, 09:24:25 PM »

A lovely dinner with BK tonight and The Lovely Wife at the Hamburger Hamlet across from the scenic Grauman's Chinese.

BK came with a treasure trove of goodies and my prize for winning the trivia contest which was...wait for it...drum-roll, please!...an early pre-release copy of Guy Haines: New Guy in Town.  Despite, all the caveats that this is not quite the finalized version, it is WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL!  Let me say that again, WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL!

What delightful, joyous album and every song on it is a winner!  Mr. Haines is in fine vocal fettle!  It has made me and The Lovely Wife very, very happy!  Some surprises for me were They Don't Give Medals (To Yesterday's Heroes), Cowboy Waltz, and Getting Away With You...a rather brilliant number by a talented songwriter Mr. Johnathan Goldman.  When I listened to it in the car on the way back from dinner, my skin tingled and the hairs on my arms stood on end.  Mr. Kimmel is represented by his own BORN TOO LATE from the WHAT IF revue.  Tons of other great numbers are given great renderings:  a longtime favourite of mine , POINT OF NO RETURN, LOVE LOOK AWAY, MILLIONS OF MEN, and, oh, all fifteen are just GREAT! GREAT!  Let me say that again!  Just GREAT! GREAT!

Mr. Haines' legions of fans will not be disappointed and it will earn him a legion more!

I usually don't answer these trivia questions.  Glad I did this one!  Oh...and dinner was, as always, rife with lovely and sparkling conversation and wit!  We laughed and laughed until we thought we could laugh no more...and then guffawed all over again!

P.S.- The liner notes to the Haines album are a treat too!  BK delivers with his usual literary panache!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2005, 09:26:17 PM »

The Haines album is still ringing through the house.  The Lovely Wife is playing Mr. Goldman's haunting Getting Away With You right now...for the third time!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2005, 09:26:29 PM »

Okay, I finally thought of a TOD candidate. I loved ET as a youngster, felt the magic, all that. Then I saw it a few years ago, and man, it just didn't seem that good, with the overly-sinister govt. agents and all that. It didn't hold up for me or even seem that magical.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2005, 09:28:01 PM »

When does the Haines album receive its official release??

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2005, 09:30:25 PM »

I first saw ET this year! One of the most over-rated films of all time. (IMHO).
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2005, 09:37:51 PM »

As for MODESTY BLAISE, yeah. Also given showings on Fox just before its DVD release. That movie is in a class of its own. So wrongheaded that it almost fun to watch for that reason. And it LOOKS cool. But you watch the last half hour of that thing and you just can't believe it is still going.

HIGH TIME, I saw for the first time a couple years back, and I liked it, though I didn't take it as a total comedy. It isn't really flat-out funny. But there is an emotional truth in that film, I think. In the question of Bing's motives returning to school, seeing his kids for who they are, making friends with a different generation. For those things, I enjoyed it. And the cool screen wipes.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2005, 09:41:07 PM »

Add me to the chorus of shrugs about E.T.  When I first saw it when it came out,  it was Peggy Lee for me, "Is That All There Is?"  I thought it nice...enough. But this drooling kowtowing to it?  Beats me.  I agree: very over-rated.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2005, 09:47:38 PM »

All right, Zebu-ites and ET non-acolytes. I am beat and off to the land of nod. I think this page 5 stands as one of the of the great pages in HHW history.

Good night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2005, 10:19:04 PM »

Well...anyway.  More rehearsing, more set decorating, more shopping....more directing....more making sound CD's and writing out cue sheets.  Whew!  Yes, DRMBARNUM - I was at a real live thee-aytur today.

Yes he did, DR VIXMOM....but I think the dancing will be the key to the number, not the costumes.

Hmmmm...yes, DR CHARLES POGUE winner of the Sparkling Prize - it is so true that "up to the minute, on the edge, current movies"  age faster than just about anything, except Menudo.  DRVIXMOM - if you like Bud you would like Strawberry Statement, just leave everything past 1972 at the door.

Now wait a minute, let me get this straight.  Is Martha Tilton a hostess who swings, a hostess at a swing, or a hostess on the night shift, or WHUT?  I am so confused.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2005, 10:19:20 PM »

DR TCB did you get something in the mail?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2005, 10:21:13 PM »

How lovely to read Pogue's comments on the new Guy Haines album.  I have passed them along to Mr. Haines and he is very pleased, oh, yes, he is very pleased.

La Jolie Femme

• I can't read your mind, but you don't know that.
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2005, 10:31:13 PM »

Dear Kimlets, and dear BK, himself!

I have just finish the m ost ASTONISHING workout!  I listened to the preview album twice, then I danced to Born Too Late twice, then Millions of Men, twice, then Getting Away with you 5 TIMES!!!.  Once, just to play with it, twice, to get a bit Latin, and two more times pole-dancing.  It's THAT sexy! That rhythmic! THAT fabulous!

Ya gotta HEAR this album.  Just when you think it can't get better than this, it DOES!!.  I'm going to drive my husband NUTS playing this!

And I CRIED to several songs...Love Look Away, Millions of Men, even the Cowboy Song.  Go figure!

It's That kind of an album, and now I fear that hordes of disgruntled Kimlets and Brucelings will storm our gates and DEMAND we share!

NO!!!

Thanks, BK, for the best gift since your LAST CD!
You're ACES, kid!

La Jolie Femme

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2005, 10:49:11 PM »

Has Ann caught up?  Will Ann be at the gathering?  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2005, 11:03:27 PM »

Did you ever get the feeling that Ann does not want to answer the question that I have now posed three times?  I'm afraid it's going to be Boot Hill for Ann.

Jed, tell your pal she's RUDE.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2005, 11:09:57 PM »

I am no such thing.  And Jed says he doesn't take kindly to people calling his girlfriend rude.  

Sadly, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it down on Monday.  We're short handed at the center, and I doubt I'll be able to take any hours off.  I do wish I could manage to attend...ah well.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2005, 11:25:54 PM »

I have returned home from the performance of Dancin' In the Aisles and let me tell you it's fab-you-luss!!  They cast six very strong singers (although a couple of them are not very strong dancers...they can move, but they don't have "rhythm" the way Motown dancers need rhythm).  Anyway, it's just two hours and 15 minutes or so of Motown songs (including intermission).  Totally fun and people really did dance in the aisles!  They actually rebuilt their stage so that there is more room between the front row and the stage.  I must usher for this several more times! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2005, 11:53:48 PM »

Well, third time's the charm.  For some reason, I didn't think you'd be able to attend.  I wish you would, though, so try really hard, okay?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up