Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: SALLY OF THE TROPICS  (Read 39927 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:SALLY OF THE TROPICS
« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2003, 03:18:32 PM »

Oh....well.....thanks....but I did take a couple of phrases from BK's notes!  LOL.....once someone says something well....it has been said.  RE: Merman and the camera and the tweaking of the sound both statements I agreed with heartily.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2003, 03:20:23 PM »

Hmmm.  Ron, I found the post wherein Jrand quoted the Gypsy CD review, but it appears that without attributing where the review came from he may have been quoting the amazon review.  If so, then that fellow wasn't stealing - Jrand, can you shed some light?

Tomovoz

« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2003, 03:23:13 PM »

You meaningless TCB. NEVER.
George. I saw "The Beautiful Game" in London. if you think ALW could not get worse - he did. Ben Elton's contribution helped ALW hit an all time low.
I may be there TCB but I am not doing what you think. I am baby sitting the DOG for a half hour.
Were we supposed to post recent photos for our profiles?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2003, 03:23:31 PM »

Whut?

Ben

« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2003, 03:27:55 PM »

Here I am Ron. I have had a difficult afternoon job-wise, not in danger of losing it or anything quite so dramatic, just difficulties with a higher up regarding a presentation that she should have stayed out of. My ability to present myself well in front of people has come back to haunt me in that this presentation that I'm working on needs structure and an agenda and she thinks because I know my job so well, I can just stand up for an hour and talk about what I do with humor and flair and not put people to sleep. I'm not an improvisational actor and the fact that I've done my current job for twelve years and know it inside out, does not mean I can turn it into a stand-up comedy routine. I will spend tomorrow and Saturday and Sunday working like a dog to try and save this presentation from her. If I could only go ahead in time to exactly this time next Thursday. I would be on a plane flying home from Cleveland and this mishugas (is that spelled correctly?) would be over. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2003, 03:29:19 PM »

In a post on Tuesday, before any of us had heard the CD, you quoted a "review" which commented on Russell's singing.  I assumed, for some reason, that it was from an online site like Mandelbaum's.  Then, when I read the review on amazon and it said the same thing I assumed that guy had just stolen from whatever site had the review.  But in looking at your post you don't say where it came from and I'm thinking you quoted that fellow's amazon review, in which case he wasn't stealing from anywhere.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2003, 03:29:53 PM »

Let me look at what I wrote on Tuesday....brb

Ben

« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2003, 03:30:59 PM »

Ron, you are going for your 500 as soon as possible. When you post next it will be 390! 111 after that and at this rate, you'll do it next week.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2003, 03:32:27 PM »

Maya-good vibes.

TCB-great photo.

Matt H-how cute.

Short, but I hope sweet, post.  I must go eat something.

Ben

« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2003, 03:35:14 PM »

Me with my grandfather at about 4 years old

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2003, 03:35:34 PM »

Yes you are correct - I had gone there to get the link to order the CD to post and also said something like "here is a partial review" but you are correct I didn't attribute it to the Amazon site.  I guess I assumed since I had posted the link just a bit earlier everyone would know.  But yes it is from the review in question.

Ben

« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2003, 03:38:05 PM »

We have 220 posts at 6:35 in the evening. We may raise a roofbeam carpenter (a Salinger reference)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2003, 03:40:35 PM »

mishugas, meshugas = crazy people (m.)

mishuganas, meshuganas = crazy people (f.)

mishegoss = distasteful situation

I think, DR Ben, you meant the third one.  It rhymes with "fish a lots."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2003, 03:41:19 PM »

Ben, that is a darling photo.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2003, 03:42:40 PM »

Yes, Jay, that's exactly what it is. I didn't realize there were male and female distinctions and the different meaings. Thanks.

Danise

« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2003, 03:43:05 PM »

Well to be honest,  BK,, I kinda bring that one on myself.  I don’t know why I type shrill instead of shill (and I know you won’t believe me but I just had to correct it . I honestly tried to type it correctly).  My fingers are firmly of the opinion that shrill not shill is the correct spelling. You used it in the correct context but it made  me laugh to see that word.  

It took me awhile to get the hang of this board thing.  I think I learned my lesson about taking things to much to heart.  Someone on the other board just did me a very, very, very great kindness despite my nastiness to him.   It’s a very humbling experience.

JMK–I’m so sorry to hear about your doggie.  Nothing can replace her but there are many, many deserving dog waiting for a good home at your local shelter.  I lost my dog, Solo, 7 years ago.  Bear came into my life less than 2 weeks later and Brandi a year after that.  I will always love Solo (and all the animals before him) but B & B are the joys of my life.  Should they pass, I know that another doggie and I will become fast friends.  B & B, Solo and all the other animals I've known will be happy for him/her.

I had another wonderful day at class. We were allowed to try several different very expensive programs, Corel PhotoPaint 11 & Adobe Photo Shop 7.0  and some not so expensive, Adobe Photo Shop Elements 2.0 and Image Blender.   I have decided that I want Adobe PhotoPaint .  Not sure I can afford the full blown program but I will at least get PhotoPaint Elements.  

It’s a good thing it’s Thursday because my inner child is wringing her hands like Golem right now.  “I wants it and I wants it NOW!.” she’s saying.  I know how I’ll be spending the weekend. I promise to come up for air every once in awhile and go online.

Sorry but I never sign on line when I’m at work.  They track that kind of thing and the local news would love nothing more than catching a government worker surfing the web. I like you all but I need my job.  Call me weird but I have this thing about eating regular meals and having a roof over my head.  Not to mention I have 2 dogs to support.  They would NOT be happy if they didn’t have their treats.  And food.   So it’s nose to grindstone from 8-5. M-F.  Life is tough in the salt mines.

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

François

« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2003, 03:44:10 PM »

Hello, everybody!

You sure must have had a BLAST this past sunday!

I've checked the fridge; NO LEFTOVERS! Nothing!
Not even a tiny slice of cake!

MattH;

You haven't changed: I've drawn a mustache on your teen pic and you still look the same!

Now,
Mary Hart was born in 1950 and Julie Andrews in 1935; Dame Julie is too young to play mother to Mary...-- and could not sing "If A Girl Is Not Pretty", since Mary Hart IS pretty and Dame Julie can not sing anymore! -- even though I know all this is done in good clean fun....

Do you know what one thing in common Dame Julie and Madonna have? -- pardon me if I'm repeating myself here... old age you know!

Well, they both write children books!

Some guests have left a recent US Weekly issue here; my, oh my; there sure are some trash publications over there!

-- at least it sports a gorgeous pic of Miss Reese Witherspoon on the cover!

I'm sure we do have the same here....

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2003, 03:44:55 PM »

Ben:  It's not that I'm trying to get to 500 in a hurry!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2003, 03:45:18 PM »

I mean, if I were anxious about it, I'd have to post a series of one-sentence posts.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2003, 03:45:44 PM »

And I know how much that would be frowned on by others striving for the same goals as I.

Ben

« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2003, 03:45:55 PM »

Thanks, Matt H. My grandfather was in the Navy and he wanted one of his sons to do that also but but none of them did. They were Marines and Army. My grandmother said that's probably as close as he would get. That's as far as I got also, except for the Halloween Cracker Jack man. I was in one of the last years of the draft after the lottery was instituted and I remember listening to the radio to hear my number and the great sigh of relief after hearing it was something like 267.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 03:48:04 PM by Ben »

François

« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2003, 03:47:42 PM »

Ben,

Your grandfather was "about 4 years old" on that picture???

Sorry, but he looked older than that!!

--- i know, i know it's bad!... and I have NO excuses!

Matt H.

« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2003, 03:48:48 PM »

I think my GYPSY should come tomorrow (I ordered ERNEST IN LOVE at the same time). I am really anxious to get GYPSY and will post thoughts once I have listened to it. That's one CD that will not sit on a shelf for weeks waiting to get played.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2003, 03:48:59 PM »

Okay!  If we are attaching baby pictures:

My brother Mike on the right and me.
I still have the same amount of hair, I just have more head!  ;D

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2003, 03:49:48 PM »

You haven't changed: I've drawn a mustache on your teen pic and you still look the same!

That's funny, François!  I've drawn a picture in the space where your photo should be, and you look like Jason's photo!

How do you say "Wonder Woman" en français?

;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 03:50:20 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ben

« Reply #235 on: November 13, 2003, 03:50:06 PM »

Sentence structure is everything.

At least tomorrow I will put aside my work woes for a while. We are have a late birthday celebration for a friend. We're going to see a campy cabaret piece called "Reddy to Go" a tribute to Helen Reddy. Sounds like a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 03:50:33 PM by Ben »

Matt H.

« Reply #236 on: November 13, 2003, 03:53:00 PM »

Oh, I was in some of those last groups of draft eligible folks, too. Only my number was 49. The night it was announced, I didn't get a wink of sleep the entire night. I was in college and had a student deferrment until I graduated, but that was like the sword of Damocles hanging over my head for four LONG years.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #237 on: November 13, 2003, 03:53:33 PM »

Thanks, BK, for finding where you'd seen the quote, and JRand for remembering where you'd seen it.

No plagiarism there!

Mandelbaum can breathe easy, too!

Ben

« Reply #238 on: November 13, 2003, 03:54:20 PM »

BK: I know that we can't see them and they can't see some things about us without registering, but since you're a Global Administrator (did you ever think you would have such an Information Technology title?) can you see the 4 "Guests" who lurk along with the 12 users?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #239 on: November 13, 2003, 03:55:47 PM »

Well, DR Matt, don't leave us hanging!

What happened when you graduated????

My draft number was 91.  I had to get two senatorial interventions to keep the draft board from coming after me before I completed my senior year of college.

I enlisted in the Navy and then flunked the Army physical.  But the Navy didn't care.  After my first year in the Navy, I didn't care, either.  I was having fun!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Up